lifestyles of the orthopod

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pej933

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm reading alot of contradictory information regarding lifestyle of orthopedic surgery after residency. Some say, it's a great lifestyle, some say, you can set your practice the way you want, but, would be taking a hit in salary.

Can someone please who's already a surgeon or in residency explain what the lifestyles is as compared to other residencies, such as Anesthesiology?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in hearing other people's replies.

Just one example. My mom is on the committee at a small hospital in Louisiana. They just signed a contract with a othropod still in fellowship training (for what I do not know). He will get a stipend (48k) while he finishes. Then he has a one year guarantee of 400k, and paid office expenses. He is contracted to work 40 hours a week.

I am sure that he will have a significant amount of call to do, so that will add to his hours. But it did not sound too bad. The one that they currently have is usually home for dinner at night, but does admit that the call is pretty bad, because he is the only show in town. I do not want to tell you how much this guy makes, lets just say its a lot. :laugh: