Light 1st semester courseload

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohnoes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a freshman at Brown, and we can take any class P/F... first semester I only had two graded classes which I got As in, and a P/F class (where I also got an A, annoyingly enough), as I had to drop a course due to personal problems (to put it shortly, my mother got significantly sicker). I'll probably have a 3.75 this semester taking four classes (one is Orgo, where I'll probably get a B), leaving me with a good GPA after this year, but my first semester schedule will probably look like a joke. Will med schools punish me for only taking three (or two, depending on how you look at it) classes first semester?

edit: FWIW, I'm also auditing a fifth class this semester

Members don't see this ad.

My whole first year I took only 24 credits, 12 each term, and the first semester was entirely P/F. After that every semester was a 16+ credit one until senior year. Not a single med school commented on it. You will be fine.

nope u should be fine. just make sure you take the pre-req's for a grade, and take most classes for a grade here on out. A couple p/f shouldn't be an issue especially early on in school, and one or two in your last two years shouldn't looks odd either.

Yeah I've done the same thing; I figure as long as we don't do P/F anymore it shouldn't be a problem. I doubt adcoms scrutinize our first year with a magnifying glass