Light Courseload Bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emperoroldguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will taking light courseloads (12-13 hrs/semester) look bad? I have been taking at least two science courses the past three semesters and am doing research. I've just been taking a lighter courseload to get a better gpa; I have a little above a 3.6 overall and science...and yes I know a good DAT and extracurriculars (shadowing, volunteering, etc) are important.

Members don't see this ad.

I was in a position where I didn't need many credits to graduate, but the classes I had remaining needed to be taken in sequence so I had to spread them over 3 semesters. With that being said I took 12 or 13 credits a semester for my last 3 semesters and it didn't seem to effect my application at all. Whether or not that is normal I'm not sure, but hopefully that info helps you a little!

You'll probably be fine. I spent 2.5 years of my undergrad with 2 science courses per quarter and I fine this application cycle. But UoP does like to see that students can handle a heavy courseload (possibly because their D1 curriculum is intense)

Members don't see this ad :)
I will have averaged 12.5 semester hours over my 6 semesters at undergrad. I think it does not hurt you too much, but having a larger load is more competitive. Overall it's not the largest part of your application, so just do what is best for you.

I think a good gpa with 12-14 units > 18 units with okay gpa. Plus you have less stress and more time to do the things you enjoy, your whole life shouldn't be about getting into d school. Enjoy undergrad

This is my last semester in college and I am basically done with my prereqs and other stuff. I plan to take only 7 credits this last semester and I was wondering will dental schools see this bad? (I know that they want to see students handle well on heavier course loads.) Thanks!

This is my last semester in college and I am basically done with my prereqs and other stuff. I plan to take only 7 credits this last semester and I was wondering will dental schools see this bad? (I know that they want to see students handle well on heavier course loads.) Thanks!

I did this my final semester as well. Talked about why I did it in my personal statement briefly, which was recommended to me by a few people (and it fit well with my theme anyways). None of the schools I got interviews from seemed to look at it negatively. So as long as you're putting most of that extra free time into volunteering/extracurriculars, you should be fine!