Light Courseload for Senior Fall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heliobacter

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I guess I have the interesting problem of missing too much school for interviews. I’m also ramping up my research and have taken a lead TA position, which both take now up more time than originally expected.

I’m mulling over taking three or so classes P/F out of five this semester in order to make things more manageable. None are premed requirements, and my school formally does not internally distinguish between courses taken for a letter grade or for pass/fail (all count towards graduation and major requirements). I would be taking a 20 credit courseload from my school’s point of view, but I understand that medical schools tend to not consider P/F classes, so that would translate to 8 credits for a grade.

I have taken 16-20 graded credits every semester prior, and plan to again next semester.

Will this reflect negatively (or be grounds for losing an acceptance later down the line)?

Would especially appreciate input from adcoms. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I took 4 credits my senior spring and im doing alright!

Edit: You dont really need an adcom member to tell you that taking less courses and ramping up ECs will be just fine.... I did the same for monetary reasons.

I guess I’m just super neurotic, but thanks for the reassurance.

Edit: That's making me want to take 4 classes P/F now for a total semester of 4 graded credits :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So, I guess I have the interesting problem of missing too much school for interviews. I’m also ramping up my research and have taken a lead TA position, which both take now up more time than originally expected.

I’m mulling over taking three or so classes P/F out of five this semester in order to make things more manageable. None are premed requirements, and my school formally does not internally distinguish between courses taken for a letter grade or for pass/fail (all count towards graduation and major requirements). I would be taking a 20 credit courseload from my school’s point of view, but I understand that medical schools tend to not consider P/F classes, so that would translate to 8 credits for a grade.

I have taken 16-20 graded credits every semester prior, and plan to again next semester.

Will this reflect negatively (or be grounds for losing an acceptance later down the line)?

Would especially appreciate input from adcoms. Thanks!
No, and No.

I dropped down to 12 credits a quarter 7 of which are directed study for my entire senior year. You’ve done the work up until now and are have successful enough thus far to be moderately certain that you will have an acceptance for next year. Take it easy and relax - this is your last free year.

I took 3 classes my spring semester and I'm doing fine and dandy this cycle.

I took three classes both senior fall and spring! No one has mentioned it and my cycle is going well. Go for it!!!