Like a Blind Date Gone Bad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey, have any of you been on an interview where you felt kind of like a "scrub," that is, a second rate interviewee just padding the roster?

They just didn't seem very interested and I didn't detect a lot of enthusiasm. Is it fair to say that if a program interviews you (especially in Emergency Medicine) they have a certain level of interest?

I have had pretty good interviews so far (I think) but I just don't think I clicked at one I went to last week.

And no, I won't say where.

I did just get back from Buffalo. I really liked that program and I thought those interviews went pretty well. I also really liked Rochester and I'm going to put both of them at the top of my list. I've also been to a couple of programs in the Detroit area including William Beaumont which is the nicest hospital that I have ever seen and makes our charity system in Louisiana look like a Taliban first aid cave.

They have granite paneling on the walls, fer' crying out loud.

Man. Crunch time is coming. After not matchng last year I've managed to scrape together nine interviews. I'm ranking them all of course because I'd rather do Emergency Medicine at Bob's In'n'Out'n'EM Program in Cousincouple, Arkansas than have to do another year of my current specialty.

Still, it is pretty demoralizing not to have a good interview. I just don't have any sea-room on my match list.

Members don't see this ad.

Panda Bear said:
I've also been to a couple of programs in the Detroit area including William Beaumont which is the nicest hospital that I have ever seen and makes our charity system in Louisiana look like a Taliban first aid cave.
:laugh: Well said!

Panda Bear said:
Hey, have any of you been on an interview where you felt kind of like a "scrub," that is, a second rate interviewee just padding the roster?

They just didn't seem very interested and I didn't detect a lot of enthusiasm. Is it fair to say that if a program interviews you (especially in Emergency Medicine) they have a certain level of interest?

I have had pretty good interviews so far (I think) but I just don't think I clicked at one I went to last week.

And no, I won't say where.

I did just get back from Buffalo. I really liked that program and I thought those interviews went pretty well. I also really liked Rochester and I'm going to put both of them at the top of my list. I've also been to a couple of programs in the Detroit area including William Beaumont which is the nicest hospital that I have ever seen and makes our charity system in Louisiana look like a Taliban first aid cave.

They have granite paneling on the walls, fer' crying out loud.

Man. Crunch time is coming. After not matchng last year I've managed to scrape together nine interviews. I'm ranking them all of course because I'd rather do Emergency Medicine at Bob's In'n'Out'n'EM Program in Cousincouple, Arkansas than have to do another year of my current specialty.

Still, it is pretty demoralizing not to have a good interview. I just don't have any sea-room on my match list.

don't give up now... i'm only a M1, but I had a few med school interviews where I felt the same as you and I ended up getting into a few of those places. Some people just tend not show any emotion toward interviewees. Just don't count your chickens before they hatch. :)

Panda,

To be honest some of my interviews went really well and some were very blah. I got interviews at some of the strongest programs in the country and got rejected from the U of Rochester. I think most programs make a cut somewhere and if they are interviewing you then that means they have a strong interest.

IMO the interview is where the money is at. I think it is hard to gauge their level of interest because they see so many people. The word is if you rank 8 you will match I hope things work out for you.

I think the biggest key is not to try to outthink yourself. Dont rate them based on how you think the interviews went, but rather on how much YOU liked their program, the residents, the city and whatever else matters to you! good luck.. This is the home stretch, I hope everything works out for you!!