Likely won't be able to reach my projected EC hours due to the pandemic. Should I update schools with this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Negihamster

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I was going to be able to resume my hospital volunteering in the fall, but my hospital hasn't allowed volunteers back yet. There is no expected timeline on when volunteers will be allowed back. I projected hours as if I was going to be able to resume by at least November, so I will likely be short on hours.

I am concerned that if an adcom goes to verify my hours with my volunteer coordinator, they will not add up. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought I was going to be able to resume my hospital volunteering in the fall, but my hospital hasn't allowed volunteers back yet. There is no expected timeline on when volunteers will be allowed back. I projected hours as if I was going to be able to resume by at least November, so I will likely be short on hours.

I am concerned that if an adcom goes to verify my hours with my volunteer coordinator, they will not add up. What should I do?
I reckon that the people actually following through with their projected hours are the exception rather than the rule. This is why projected hours are given minimal weight in the admissions process. I would leave it be unless specifically asked about this

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Don't worry about it.

If it's really eating at you, tell your volunteer coordinator to explain the situation, if on the off-chance anyone decides to call.

Get in touch w/your volunteer coordinator and explain--just to CYA. If it was the hosptial's decision to let go of volunteers, then they will understand. Alternatively, find somewhere else where you can volunteer to make up the hours.
Good luck