Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

papichulodoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lincoln Interview Review

At this late point in the season, this is more for next year's crowd then for us.

The day started at 12pm. Yes, that's 12pm! 12-14 applicants were present. The PD (Dr. Gernsheimer) indicated that this year has been very competitive and hardly anyone has canceled their interviews late in the season (meaning he didn't expect so many people).

Parking is available in the parking garage "at a nominal fee". I parked on the street without a meter. There is a lot of traffic in the area during the day so I wouldn't worry about having your car broken into or stolen. Put the club on!

The PD gives an hour talk, citing the strengths of the program including the accomplishments of the versatile residents. Afterwards, one of the residents gives a tour. Then we were led back into the original conference room where we had PIZZA while waiting to be interviewed. Residents occassionally came through and spoke with us.

The day is not run very efficiently. Expect to stay until 6:30! Even the secretary leaves at 5! There are only two interviewers, Gernsheimer and the asst PD (Manuck sp?). They seem to like this format and not allow anyone else to interview because they pride themselves at picking the perfect residents for the past three years. (Not one complainer and everyone gets along.)

+++ The PD. When asked the ultimate applicant question, "What made you come here?" all residents replied it was because of Dr. Genrsheimer. He is very charismatic, simple, and very approachable. Most of the residents call him "Gern", and even the employees joke around very freely with him. His easy going character sets the tone for the ED. Dr. Gernsheimer gives the impression of the absent minded professor who is incredibly bright and extremely dedicated. Most residents offered examples of his dedication to teaching such as staying past his shift to assist residents with their workload....and then giving a personalized lecture for two hours on EKG's to one resident! That's dedication! He genuinely cares about the residents and his program. He has been involved with Lincoln for the past 33 years.

++ Good job prospects. Most residents said Gernsheimer knows EVERYONE in EM, and during national conferences tends to arrange private meetings with Chairs and his residents. Lincoln is an EM dinosaur and many of its graduates hold chair and PD positions all over the country.

++ High volume, tons of trauma! 140,000+ census. Used to be 160,000+, but the crime and murder rate has gone down all over the city. No shortage of knife and gsw's here. THere are a lot of gangs in the area, and frequently slash people's faces for intitiation.

+ One of the EM faculty was originally trained as a trauma surgeon and grandfathered into EM. The residents learn a lot from him.

+ Altitude research team. Every year one of the faculty goes to Ecuador to Cotopaxi to study effects and therapies related to high altitude sickness. Most residents go to mountain climb.

+ All of the residents seemed to be very happy! Surpisingly so, even if they work incredibly hard. To get an idea of how hard they work....they see 140,000+ (the most in the city) with only 10 residents (Jacobi and Kings County have 18 residents). Even though they work themselves to the bone, they do it with a smile.

+ Good Peds experience with lots of volume, high peds trauma (lots of GSW to the head :( , asthma) but possibly too much of the same.

+/- Very subsidized housing, costs ~$300 a month in Harlem with $75 parking for Lincoln and housing. But apartments are dorm style with community bathrooms. Only beneficial if you're single and want to live like a fat cat in NYC.

+/- No fast track experience. They employ non EM certified IM docs and PA's on a part time basis to cover the fast track. This screens the non-critical cases coming to the ED. In a very poor area, this can be essential since the ED serves more as a clinic seeing tons of colds and minor lacerations.

+/- No dedicated Surgical residency...but Cornell Surgery residents rotate there. Does this mean that you get to do all procedures? Pretty much...but the residents mentioned that occassionally you get some pretentious, condescending Cornell resident who tends to think everything should be done in THE "Cornell way".

+/- Very County experience. Typical City hospital, with weak ancillary support, although the residents said in order to have the nurses do all the necesary work...you must give all orders in one batch instead of adding on orders individually.

+/- 2,3,4 program....they do not expect to change because in order to survive at such an intense program you have to have a year of experience under your belt.

- Lack of community exposure, unlike many programs with a "dedicated" secondary site where you spend a good deal of your time they only spend up to three months at another institution. This other institution is St. Joseph's hospital in Yonkers. Very close by (10 minutes north by car)

-- Too busy! With such a high volume, you will learn via "trial by fire". This is not the place to go if you need to have lots of attending interaction and hand holding.

-- Layout of ED....very similar to Kings County. Specialized rooms including asthma stations, fast track and multiple trauma bays are scattered throughout. The tour seemed very confusing sometimes going across high traffic hallways. Unlike King's County and Jacobi who are opening their own brand new state of the art dedicated buildings, Lincoln does not have the luxury of space or money. There has been talk of renovating for some time, but in order to do that they have to close down sections at a time. Each space is critical, so they don't know which section to shut down first.

Overall....graduating from here you are guaranteed a job anywhere, very well clinically trained. By nature of its high volume, you will be able to handle ANYTHING...but probably the least academic of all city hospitals.

Members don't see this ad.

Disclaimer- I want to preface my review by saying that this program has been around for a long time. It's well known for churning out great clinicians, physicians, researchers. I found the program is changing more and more each day so that I wasn't aware of the situation until I went to the interview.

Interview day/Residents: I usually try to do some sorta research into my residency interview before going by first looking up stuff about the program on the residency review section or on the residency site. First, they have no residency site. this should've been a red flag for me. Instead it was an early interview so I didn't know if this was the norm so I let it slide. I went thinking, hey it's affliated with Cornell. They're in the Bronx. I have heard great things about their trauma exposure, pathology mix. My interview day was weird to say the least- I had an afternoon session. I had no interview social. I was herded into a conference room. There was no presentation, no folder, no info about the program. A resident showed up to give us a tour. He didn't really explain much. The lunch consisted of getting a sandwich and sitting back at the conference talking amonst interviewees. There were no residents who showed up at lunch. Another red flag. No sign of PD at this point. We got split up into interviews. Round robin. By this point, my only resident interaction was the tour guide who spent maybe 15 mins with us + interviews. I interviewed with one of their chiefs who was extremely down to earth and friendly.

Facilities: Below average to average- it's a typical county feel with the curtains and everything. The trauma bays were well laid out. I felt it was extremely busy. They rival Montefiore and Jacobi in terms of volume. They also get a fair share of trauma. Nurses/attendings get along well with residents.

Attendings: I have heard of Dr. G from attendings and residents at different NYC hospitals and was expecting that he would be there as the PD. But he has since stepped down for political reasons. He was forced out of teh hospital. Dr. G was the heart and soul of the program. People went to Lincoln beacuse of him for good reason. I found that they had no PD. The program was extremely in flux while I was there. The chairman was running the interview day. I got along with some of the attendings but for the most part, did not mesh with the chairwoman. As part of their protocol, before you leave, you get to sit with her and talk with her for 10 mins. every interviewee has to before leaving. I had to wait 1 hour and 15 minutes before my turn cuz she and other attendings went into the conference room to chat about something else. It wasn't before they realized that a long line of finished interviewees were waiting outside her office did she walk out and get started. It seemed so disorganized and chaotic without Dr. G at the helm. I didn't find out anything about the curriculum, program. One of the attendings warned me of going there because it was still trying to figure out how to replace Dr. G. I just wished I could've known this before attending the interview.

Curriculum: 2-4 program. After USC, Cook county and BMC have changed to the 1-4 format, Lincoln and UCSD remain as the only advanced EM programs in the US. I don't know how the off-service rotations are organized. It seemed most of the interviewees had done electives there and I was left in the dark about it.

Overall: I won't sugar coat my feelings about Lincoln but I wouldn't have attended this interview if I had known that Dr. G was not there; there was no acting PD. I feel the old Lincoln, the place that created and trained so many great EM physicians, is no more. I hope that the situation there will get better and the messy bucreatic mess will work itself out.

On a side note, Dr. G is working at SUNY Downstate and loving it. Met him there for interview day. He's as nice and friendly as everyone has told me.

I was told that Lincoln hospital in NYC takes a bunch of St. Georges students for EM residency program because they do 4th year electives there.

Is this a good program? I think it is affiliated with Cornell and its amazing how many Carribean students they take.

Has any DO student got a residency spot there? IF so do they take comlex?

Members don't see this ad :)
No idea regarding the DO part. but i interviewed there in October.. overall was pretty impressed. moved them up several spots on my running mental rank list.
12 hour shifts, 19,18,16,15.

Pros:
1. county/level 1 trauma, one of the few places in the city that still sees lots of blunt and penetrating trauma, MVCs, etc 2) everybody I met seemed genuinely happy and to get along well 3) new ED to open summer 2013, 4) no anesthesia/limited trauma surgery role so EM residents get these 5) EMR 6) a patient population that is very diverse, underserved. 5) lectures involve clickers, videos, and lots of interaction and seemed very modern vs the standard 5 hours sitting watching power points.
Cons:
1. PGY1 off-service rotations were hinted as being weak by several of the residents 2) they are in a city with some bigger names, and can't compete in terms of resources/prestigious faculty 3) w lots of spanish speaking only pts, so interpreters or you better know your spanish 4) if it gets busy, you wheel pts to catscan, do blood draws 5) 6 of their PGY 1 class came from SGU because the residency has an affiliation with the school. While having a carrib grad is not a minus, having such a large number & from a single institution to me is not a plus..i would have preferred to see a more diverse match list.

No idea regarding the DO part. but i interviewed there in October.. overall was pretty impressed. moved them up several spots on my running mental rank list.
12 hour shifts, 19,18,16,15.

Pros:
1. county/level 1 trauma, one of the few places in the city that still sees lots of blunt and penetrating trauma, MVCs, etc 2) everybody I met seemed genuinely happy and to get along well 3) new ED to open summer 2013, 4) no anesthesia/limited trauma surgery role so EM residents get these 5) EMR 6) a patient population that is very diverse, underserved. 5) lectures involve clickers, videos, and lots of interaction and seemed very modern vs the standard 5 hours sitting watching power points.
Cons:
1. PGY1 off-service rotations were hinted as being weak by several of the residents 2) they are in a city with some bigger names, and can't compete in terms of resources/prestigious faculty 3) w lots of spanish speaking only pts, so interpreters or you better know your spanish 4) if it gets busy, you wheel pts to catscan, do blood draws 5) 6 of their PGY 1 class came from SGU because the residency has an affiliation with the school. While having a carrib grad is not a minus, having such a large number & from a single institution to me is not a plus..i would have preferred to see a more diverse match list.

Thanks!!

http://www.acep.org/About-Us/ACEP-National-Emergency-Medicine-Faculty-Teaching-Award-Past-Recipients/

Catmandoo, I agree with you in many regards however I'm not sure I agree with some of the comments about them not having prestigious attendings. I rotated at Lincoln ED and I personally think they had some of the best attendings compared to other EM rotations I have done. One of the residents told me that Lincoln is not an easy place to work as it is the busiest trauma center in the east coast, especially as an attending. Why work so hard when you can go to an easy community program, get paid more, and deal with far less patient volume and acuity? The ones that are there are there because they love to teach. FYI, check the link above. Two years in a row Lincoln attendings have been awarded ACEP Faculty Teaching Awards. Mary Ryan in 2012, Muhammad Waseem in 2011. So I don't know how true those statements are.

And second, yes, Lincoln is a SGU rotation site for med/surg however not for emergency medicine, which goes the same for Cornell students as well. It's only by application like any other fourth year EM rotation. SGU does not have compulsory rotations in the ED. It's just a matter of who rotates, who they like and the game that is the match. I am not a SGU student and I rotated there and there was only 1 other SGU rotator with us. Plus, I think the atmosphere is that Lincoln is a lot more competitive after change to a 1-4 format and I would be willing to bet that the incoming resident pool will change too. And the other thing that seems to be a trend in most EM programs is that there are certain medical schools that programs have preferences towards. You always see that in every programs where they have a handful of residents from the same medical school each year. If it happens to be SGU, then that must be an indicator that their student rotators have had good track records and I don't see what's wrong with that. Yes I agree, Lincoln does have some SGU residents but I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that it's a rotation hospital.

http://www.acep.org/About-Us/ACEP-National-Emergency-Medicine-Faculty-Teaching-Award-Past-Recipients/

Catmandoo, I agree with you in many regards however I'm not sure I agree with some of the comments about them not having prestigious attendings. I rotated at Lincoln ED and I personally think they had some of the best attendings compared to other EM rotations I have done. One of the residents told me that Lincoln is not an easy place to work as it is the busiest trauma center in the east coast, especially as an attending. Why work so hard when you can go to an easy community program, get paid more, and deal with far less patient volume and acuity? The ones that are there are there because they love to teach. FYI, check the link above. Two years in a row Lincoln attendings have been awarded ACEP Faculty Teaching Awards. Mary Ryan in 2012, Muhammad Waseem in 2011. So I don't know how true those statements are.

And second, yes, Lincoln is a SGU rotation site for med/surg however not for emergency medicine, which goes the same for Cornell students as well. It's only by application like any other fourth year EM rotation. SGU does not have compulsory rotations in the ED. It's just a matter of who rotates, who they like and the game that is the match. I am not a SGU student and I rotated there and there was only 1 other SGU rotator with us. Plus, I think the atmosphere is that Lincoln is a lot more competitive after change to a 1-4 format and I would be willing to bet that the incoming resident pool will change too. And the other thing that seems to be a trend in most EM programs is that there are certain medical schools that programs have preferences towards. You always see that in every programs where they have a handful of residents from the same medical school each year. If it happens to be SGU, then that must be an indicator that their student rotators have had good track records and I don't see what's wrong with that. Yes I agree, Lincoln does have some SGU residents but I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that it's a rotation hospital.

No - it most certainly does have to do with the fact that it's a rotation hospital. It's almost like their 'home program' for those that spend a lot of time at Lincoln. But with less perks, I'd imagine. I'd say there was also a large component of undesirability in the past due to the required prelim year.

not sure I'd count any NYC program as being the busiest trauma center on the east coast. Maryland Shock Trauma tends to be it from my own understanding. That said, being an overly busy trauma center isn't usually that important to an ED program anyway. any program that has sufficient trauma would suffice. Anyway, NYC does have a good patient population to learn from in general, and Lincoln is no exception. Pretty much all programs in NYC are worth applying to if you like the area, with a couple rare exceptions. Lincoln should hopefully get more widely known now that it's no longer a PGY2-4 program.

So I was just curious if anyone has further thoughts about Lincoln this year? I rotated there earlier this summer, and must say I was really impressed. Ever since they converted from a PGY2-4 to a PGY1-4 program, I'm sensing that they've really stepped up their game and gotten more visibility to Medical students? This program has definitely moved up my list a few notches, after the whole experience there. A few thoughts, some of which was mentioned in previous years as well:

Pros:
- Brand new ED (Peds & Adult) will complete construction this year (estimated January 2014), so that will be ready for our incoming class. Nice.
- New intern class seems to be the most diverse group they've had in a long time. Most of them I met at least, seemed to come from domestic MD programs. Again, nothing wrong with otherwise, but it's cool to see this program attracting applicants from all over.
- Extremely busy, large county/level 1 trauma center (reportedly 160K-180K patient visits/year at this single site hospital). Tons of trauma & procedures, all types. Never a dull day in this ED.
- Increasingly academic program, sending residents to compete in various conferences, inviting guest lecturers, journal club, etc. Not sure from a research perspective though.
- All the residents / faculty were fairly cohesive, I could tell they looked forward to getting together every Wed for conference, or just working shifts together.
- ED is one of the oldest most established residency programs at the hospital, so the EM department definitely holds some clout at the hospital.
- Diverse patient population with lots of Spanish speaking patients, so if you value that underserved population and have some Spanish skills, you'll be a big asset here. This place seems to attract those kinds of residents.
- Lincoln is part of HHC network, meaning many of them are tied together within the same EMR (which will supposedly be switching over to EPIC soon).
- Shifts get better each year of residency. 12 hours long, 19/18/16/15.
- Location was a plus for me. It's in the south Bronx, which is a very quick subway ride from Manhattan. So fortunately I was able to enjoy some of the city life, while also being able to work at this "safety net" hospital in a very underserved area.

Cons:
- Lots of big name programs in NYC to compete with, and this program might have fewer resources, not sure
- If you don't speak Spanish, this might slow you down a little, though it's not a game-killer at all. I had some conversational Spanish, but I still used a translator a lot. Maybe half the residents speak pretty good Spanish here.
- This program seems to have gone through some transitional years after some leadership changes a few years back. But everything seems to have smoothed out a lot, compared with previous threads I've been reading, so I really didn't encounter this much.
- An ED that has been this busy and stretched thin, seems to have faced a lot of logistical / systemic challenges in recent years, from what people told me. Everyone seems fairly optimistic and hopeful that the new ED will resolve most of those issues, once it comes online in a few more months.

Last edited:
I'm also curious to know the competitiveness of this hospital and if they accept DOs. Anyone care to comment?

It's not as competitive compare to the other nyc programs but is gaining a good clinical reputation. When I interviewed there this last season, I met some strong applicants. However if you on on St. Georges match site you'll see that a few of them matched at this program this year as this is one of their core rotation sites.

Any new info?

A post from 10 years ago alluded to subsidized resident housing. Any idea if they still have that available? NYC housing is INSANE! I don’t see how people can live when you spend 75% of your salary on housing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told that Lincoln hospital in NYC takes a bunch of St. Georges students for EM residency program because they do 4th year electives there.

Is this a good program? I think it is affiliated with Cornell and its amazing how many Carribean students they take.

Has any DO student got a residency spot there? IF so do they take comlex?

So, there's a number of residency programs that take carribean students, not because they necessarily need to, but because they are getting funding for a few spots from those schools. My program was one of them. Lincoln could be another one as well.

It's not that pricey to live in the Bronx.

NYCOM has sent several DOs to Lincoln in the past few years.

As far as rent goes, I'd recommend Upper Manhattan, with a roommate you should be able to find a 2-bedroom for less than $2200 total. Harlem/Washington Heights can seem rough if you're not from a big city but it's relatively safe these days, except maybe some parts of East Harlem. Plenty of Touro and Columbia students live in the area. I've never lived in the Bronx so I can't really comment there.

You can easily find a studio for less than 2000 in Upper Manhattan and a one bedroom for less than 3000. The Bronx is even cheaper and is really nice- not sure why people seem reticent?

Frankly, I don't see what seems "rough" about Washington Heights or Harlem. I've spent tons of time in those neighborhoods over the past twenty years and have never had that impression. Would anyone care to elaborate?

Some people from less diverse areas are scared of all the non-white people and/or the reputation Harlem/Wash Heights have from the 80s and 90s (when they were actually rough). I would hope if you're moving to New York you'd get over that kind of thing quickly, but I figured I'd mention it.

Some people from less diverse areas are scared of all the non-white people and/or the reputation Harlem/Wash Heights have from the 80s and 90s (when they were actually rough). I would hope if you're moving to New York you'd get over that kind of thing quickly, but I figured I'd mention it.

I seriously hope that bigoted folks are not going to Lincoln for residency, at least for the patients' sakes.

Washington Heights has been a perfectly fine neighborhood since at least the eighties, as has much of Harlem.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not that pricey to live in the Bronx.

When a studio is more than my mortgage (3/2 2000sf on a little over 2 acres), that’s pricey for me.

By my calculations, take-home would be ~$3000/month. It just doesn’t make sense to me. How do families afford to live there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some families have rent stabilized apartments or low income housing, others just cram lots of people into a small space. If you have to support a family on a resident's salary alone you might want to look into living outside the city (Westchester County near the Metro North line?) and aiming for a longer commute. A quick search on an apartment site showed me several 2 bedrooms in the upper Manhattan/Bronx area for 1.6-1.8k, which is probably as good as it's going to get in that part of the city. A one bedroom/studio you could get for maybe $1,500?

I'm sorry, I know NYC is crazy expensive. You get sort of immune to how ridiculous the prices are after a few years. I don't know if that's good or bad...

When a studio is more than my mortgage (3/2 2000sf on a little over 2 acres), that’s pricey for me.

By my calculations, take-home would be ~$3000/month. It just doesn’t make sense to me. How do families afford to live there?

Sure, it's not as cheap as the South, or rural areas. But it's not as expensive as people make it out to be. There are areas of the Bronx where you could certainly get a one bedroom for $1500 a month. But less than that will be hard, even if you apply for subsidized housing. Lincoln is not in a very expensive area by NYC standards- people seem to figure it out, and there are rentals comparable to other large cities as opposed to uniquely NYC stratospheric. It's also commutable from Yonkers, which is quite cheap.

Take home is definitely higher than 3k. You would have a second income if you have a partner, which should make things easier. Presumably you would be renting out your home, which might help as well, or you could sell and then use the money to buy in a cheaper area of the Bronx or to help with rent.

If you need two acres and 2000 SF, then NYC is probably not in the cards. Good luck!

You can always stay a little far away and commute. Connectivity and public transport in NYC is excellent. My friend did an EM away at Lincoln and she used to stay in Queens and commute every day. That may not be possible for a resident but just food for thought.

Smurfette, have you applied? In your situation Lincoln sounds like it might be one of the only options out there- you already dismissed one of the CMG residencies. I wish you the best, but matching in your situation will not be easy, and if you truly want EM, you will need to be open to Lincoln, CMGs, whatever. I urge you to think of how you can make these situations work for you, not how they can't.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn’t dismiss anything. I decided that I couldn’t turn any opportunity down no matter how others viewed the program. I interviewed at both HCA places and will interview at Lincoln later this week.

The questions are really about how to make it work. My family likely won’t follow me to NYC. My kids are older and shoving me, my spouse, 2 teenage kids & their little brother into a 2BR apartment is not my idea of a fun time. My spouse has a very specific career field where people have to either retire or die before someone gets a promotion or transfer.

NYC has never been on my radar. But I’ll go because I know it’s likely my last chance for EM.

Best of luck! Sounds like the CMG gig might be better for you if it's three years. You do you and be happy with your decision.