-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Lincoln Memorial Uni. Post Bac
Started by chilon09
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Anybody that is in Harrogate already have you been by the new building. Is it going to be ready for orientation?
I drove by the building on Friday and it looked like there was still a lot of work being done on the inside (or what I could tell by looking through the windows).
I drove by the building on Friday and it looked like there was still a lot of work being done on the inside (or what I could tell by looking through the windows).
is that the building that our orientation is supposed to be in, according to Dr. Stump's email? or is that in another building?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
.
Last edited:
Who offers the best private loan for the LMU-PMSP program?? I have no undergraduate debt but will need loan for this program...
I'm wondering about this too. I was actually accepted into the last PMSP class that just finished up, but I was a late addition and didn't have time to get my financial aid/private loans secured so i had to withdraw--even after paying my deposit.
If anyone can provide specifics on tuition/cost of living/anything else.....that would help me for when I reapply this year.
What type of financial aid is available? If you're not paying out of pocket, how much of a private loan is typically being taken out? Who are you going through?
Any numbers breakdown and personal experience would help!
Also, some upsetting news (but good news now, I suppose):
While looking back over LMU's PMSP information page, I came across this useful bit of FA information that was not in place when I received my acceptance:
http://www.lmunet.edu/academics/pmsp/GainfulEmploymentPMSP2010-11.pdf
If I understand it correctly, federal loans are now available to use for the PMSP? The rest is either covered out of pocket of with a private loan?
When I was going through the process (early 2011), the FA office had told me NO federal loans were available for the post-bacc program since it was not an undergrad or grad program and thus everything would have to be paid for out of pocket or via a private loan (~$35-40,000 including cost of living expenses, is what the office told me). That was a big reason for me not being able to get loans secured in the short amount of time they gave me between my notice of acceptance and the start of the program, which led me to turn it down.
If I am reading it correctly, now federal loans are covering the PMSP....is this correct? Can anyone help me out with this.
Sorry for the ramblings, but I'm trying to figure out WHY the FA office didn't tell me that this was the case if supposedly it went into effect July 1, 2011 and I was processing in June 2011 for a July 2011 start date?!
While looking back over LMU's PMSP information page, I came across this useful bit of FA information that was not in place when I received my acceptance:
http://www.lmunet.edu/academics/pmsp/GainfulEmploymentPMSP2010-11.pdf
If I understand it correctly, federal loans are now available to use for the PMSP? The rest is either covered out of pocket of with a private loan?
When I was going through the process (early 2011), the FA office had told me NO federal loans were available for the post-bacc program since it was not an undergrad or grad program and thus everything would have to be paid for out of pocket or via a private loan (~$35-40,000 including cost of living expenses, is what the office told me). That was a big reason for me not being able to get loans secured in the short amount of time they gave me between my notice of acceptance and the start of the program, which led me to turn it down.
If I am reading it correctly, now federal loans are covering the PMSP....is this correct? Can anyone help me out with this.
Sorry for the ramblings, but I'm trying to figure out WHY the FA office didn't tell me that this was the case if supposedly it went into effect July 1, 2011 and I was processing in June 2011 for a July 2011 start date?!
4
473798
hey all. i'm interested in applying for LMU's post bacc, but i was hoping to get some questions answered. does LMU happen to have a guaranteed linkage or interview into their medical school? if so what are some of their requirements? also, is it still true that students will have to take a glide year after the completion of their PB program? i saw something about a glide year earlier on in the thread (the info was from 2010 mind you), and wasn't sure if any changes have been made.
thanks for your feedback!
thanks for your feedback!
Unless things have changed in a year, you are guaranteed an interview but you are not "guaranteed" a seat in the upcoming class. But, it seems that many post-bacc students, as long as they perform well in the post-bacc program, get an acceptance. No glide year.....straight into the following years class.
4
473798
.
Last edited by a moderator:
Bump 🙂 Hopefully I can start this program in the upcoming July...
Any current students want to share their experience with the program?
Any current students want to share their experience with the program?
I have a few questions about this program:
1) Is there any kind of regional preference for this program? I've heard the DO school has regional preference, so would this extend to the post bac program?
2) Any info on percentage of students that get accepted to medical school?
Thanks.
1) Is there any kind of regional preference for this program? I've heard the DO school has regional preference, so would this extend to the post bac program?
2) Any info on percentage of students that get accepted to medical school?
Thanks.
I'll be applying again this cycle. I may be able to answer some questions but I too would appreciate a current student with insight commenting.
I applied for last year's class but ultimately had to decline the acceptance. I had some complications with my application and received a late decision/acceptance which ultimately kept me from attending. But I will be applying again this year.
As far as questions: I don't believe there is any regional preference given. However, LMU is in Harrogate which is as far from a college town as you can get. It is a small community with only the necessities--and even that is a stretch. If you come to LMU, just be prepared for small small small town living. Some people work well that way. Others not so much.
As far as percentages that make it in, a current student should be able to answer for sure. I know two years ago I believe they started with 31, lost 2, and around 22 were accepted into the following year's class at DCOM. Not sure about those that didn't choose to attend DCOM/those that were not extended an acceptance.
I applied for last year's class but ultimately had to decline the acceptance. I had some complications with my application and received a late decision/acceptance which ultimately kept me from attending. But I will be applying again this year.
As far as questions: I don't believe there is any regional preference given. However, LMU is in Harrogate which is as far from a college town as you can get. It is a small community with only the necessities--and even that is a stretch. If you come to LMU, just be prepared for small small small town living. Some people work well that way. Others not so much.
As far as percentages that make it in, a current student should be able to answer for sure. I know two years ago I believe they started with 31, lost 2, and around 22 were accepted into the following year's class at DCOM. Not sure about those that didn't choose to attend DCOM/those that were not extended an acceptance.
I'll be applying again this cycle. I may be able to answer some questions but I too would appreciate a current student with insight commenting.
I applied for last year's class but ultimately had to decline the acceptance. I had some complications with my application and received a late decision/acceptance which ultimately kept me from attending. But I will be applying again this year.
As far as questions: I don't believe there is any regional preference given. However, LMU is in Harrogate which is as far from a college town as you can get. It is a small community with only the necessities--and even that is a stretch. If you come to LMU, just be prepared for small small small town living. Some people work well that way. Others not so much.
As far as percentages that make it in, a current student should be able to answer for sure. I know two years ago I believe they started with 31, lost 2, and around 22 were accepted into the following year's class at DCOM. Not sure about those that didn't choose to attend DCOM/those that were not extended an acceptance.
Did you take your MCAT already?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
.
Last edited:
What are some questions you guys/gals have?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ignore spelling and/grammar
How are the classes? Are there many students in the class? Did you take any gov loans? Do you recommend going there? I just want to get a good idea of what im getting myself into. As a perspective applicant....and based on their school website, I think its worth it just want opinion from someone thats already in the program.
What are some questions you guys/gals have?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ignore spelling and/grammar
What are average stats of students that get into the program??
When are you supposed to apply for the program?
Thanks!
I am currently in the program. We just finished our first semester. We took two medical school classes and two undergraduate classes (chosen by the director based upon our needs). I took the following classes:
Medical Histology 1 (1.5 hrs)
Medical Gross Anatomy (6 hrs)
Molecular Genetics (3 hrs)
Biochemistry 1 (4 hrs)
I really enjoyed the first semester. The medical school classes were tough, but definitely gave perspective on how to study and what medical school will be like. The program started out with 43 of us, I know of 3 that are dropping out because they got accepted into other medical schools. For everyone that gets above a 3.0 in the first semester, we get to interview on Jan 21. Judging by what last years class said, as long as we have a decent MCAT score and we did well the first semester (A or B in medical school classes and a 3.0 in the program), we should get into DCOM. We will not have to retake the medical school classes when we start next fall as long as we got a B or above.
The new Math and Science building is awesome. The anatomy lab is great. MGA (Medical Gross Anatomy) was dissection. We were put in groups with OMS-1 students of about 4-5 students per cadaver. I thought it was awesome.
Of last years class, 76% of the students got accepted into DCOM. They tell us that they have a spot reserved for each one of us and as long as we perform well, then we should get into DCOM. I believe that they are starting a minimum of a 20 MCAT to enter the program, but if you have below a 22 or 23, they are recommending that you re-take it. Many students are re-taking it in January and so they will not receive a decision until their scores are received. For the students that don't have to re-take the MCAT, we should know whether we got accepted by the end of the week of interviews.
I actually like Harrogate. I grew up in a major city, so I am sick of traffic and crowds of people. Middlesboro is close by and has a walmart and other stores.
As far as financial aid goes, it is limited. You can take out a stafford loan for part of it, but the rest will have to be by private student loans or by other means.
As far as stats, most people had around a 3.0-3.1, some higher and some lower. They told me that they do not give regional preference to enter the Post Bac. I would apply as soon as possible. I had a 20 MCAT when I applied to the program, but I took it again in the summer and scored higher so I wont be re-taking it. When I applied to post bac program, I looked for programs that had the highest acceptance rate into their medical school and that is why I picked this one.
Anyway, if you have any more questions, post or PM me.
Medical Histology 1 (1.5 hrs)
Medical Gross Anatomy (6 hrs)
Molecular Genetics (3 hrs)
Biochemistry 1 (4 hrs)
I really enjoyed the first semester. The medical school classes were tough, but definitely gave perspective on how to study and what medical school will be like. The program started out with 43 of us, I know of 3 that are dropping out because they got accepted into other medical schools. For everyone that gets above a 3.0 in the first semester, we get to interview on Jan 21. Judging by what last years class said, as long as we have a decent MCAT score and we did well the first semester (A or B in medical school classes and a 3.0 in the program), we should get into DCOM. We will not have to retake the medical school classes when we start next fall as long as we got a B or above.
The new Math and Science building is awesome. The anatomy lab is great. MGA (Medical Gross Anatomy) was dissection. We were put in groups with OMS-1 students of about 4-5 students per cadaver. I thought it was awesome.
Of last years class, 76% of the students got accepted into DCOM. They tell us that they have a spot reserved for each one of us and as long as we perform well, then we should get into DCOM. I believe that they are starting a minimum of a 20 MCAT to enter the program, but if you have below a 22 or 23, they are recommending that you re-take it. Many students are re-taking it in January and so they will not receive a decision until their scores are received. For the students that don't have to re-take the MCAT, we should know whether we got accepted by the end of the week of interviews.
I actually like Harrogate. I grew up in a major city, so I am sick of traffic and crowds of people. Middlesboro is close by and has a walmart and other stores.
As far as financial aid goes, it is limited. You can take out a stafford loan for part of it, but the rest will have to be by private student loans or by other means.
As far as stats, most people had around a 3.0-3.1, some higher and some lower. They told me that they do not give regional preference to enter the Post Bac. I would apply as soon as possible. I had a 20 MCAT when I applied to the program, but I took it again in the summer and scored higher so I wont be re-taking it. When I applied to post bac program, I looked for programs that had the highest acceptance rate into their medical school and that is why I picked this one.
Anyway, if you have any more questions, post or PM me.
.
Last edited:
Sammit85 and Poliscidoc...great information for us the perspective applicants. I find it reasonable to believe that it is a hard program. I hope I get in. Thank you for the valuable information 👍👍👍👍👍
First let me say that DCOM and LMU are both good schools and it goes without saying that the post bac program is a great option if you fall within a not so well defined area. While the post bac program is geared towards helping students improve there resume for medical school it should be pointed out that it isnt for everyone.
If you are an average student ~3.3 SGPA/CGPA+ and have ~23-24+ MCAT then the postbac program isnt really for you. The post bac program is geared towards people that have either a lower than average GPA or a lower than average MCAT and/or lacking in both areas. There are numerous students in the program that have 27,28, and 33 MCAT scores but are lacking in terms of overall and/or science GPA and vice versa. If you are looking at LMU-DCOM for the postbac program please understand what you are getting yourself into. The program is hard, medical gross anatomy + histology=two very hard classes. The way the program is set up it does allow you to apply to other medical schools but if you are lacking in one area of your application the program will do nothing to improve your app until after January. Also, understand that if you dont do well in the program you are truly setting yourself up for failure. Lets be honest- if you dont do well during the postbac program why would DCOM or any other school accept you into there program?
It makes sense that the program won't do much for apps until January cuz they want to see your grades and all... so do most schools just wait list these students then? Or push back the interview until grades are in??
Thanks for all the info it definitely is a big help!!
Can any former students in the program talk about the chances of getting accepted after a good performance in the program and what kind of MCAT scores you need to get in. I know a 20 is required but is this enough to get into DCOM if you do well in the program or do you need a few points higher? If so how many points higher do you need? Is there a guaranteed acceptance with a certain gpa in the post bacc and a certain MCAT?
.
Last edited:
The current class doesn't interview until later this month but the scores ranged from 18ish-38. From speaking with admissions and our advisors the goal is obviously 24+ but the overall thinking is. 22+ with great showing in the program will get you in.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ignore spelling and/grammar
Thanks for the response, if you hear how everyone in the class interviewing does could you let us know if you get a chance?
.
Last edited:
bump!
I am currently in the post-bacc program and our DCOM interviews were held Monday, Jan 21st.
Our group has an average MCAT score of 22 according to Holly Napier, the PMSP coordinator. I have heard individual MCAT scores ranging from 15 to 30+ ... Of course anyone below a 20 retakes it. Next year LMU is requiring a 20 MCAT for acceptance into the PMSP program.
Our group has an average MCAT score of 22 according to Holly Napier, the PMSP coordinator. I have heard individual MCAT scores ranging from 15 to 30+ ... Of course anyone below a 20 retakes it. Next year LMU is requiring a 20 MCAT for acceptance into the PMSP program.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
^^^^ Thanx for letting us know.
Is the coursework with undergrads (not including histo and anatomy) ?
Also, did anyone receive an e-mail upon completion of all the application materials?
Also, did anyone receive an e-mail upon completion of all the application materials?
Last edited:
I am currently in the post-bacc program and our DCOM interviews were held Monday, Jan 21st.
Our group has an average MCAT score of 22 according to Holly Napier, the PMSP coordinator. I have heard individual MCAT scores ranging from 15 to 30+ ... Of course anyone below a 20 retakes it. Next year LMU is requiring a 20 MCAT for acceptance into the PMSP program.
Any word about how successful the interviews were?
Any word about how successful the interviews were?
Overall they went very well I only know of one rejection(did poorly first semester and left) and of 1 waitlist (acceptance pending a good 2nd semester). Some people still haven't heard back because they don't have all there stuff in yet(but they will more thank likely be accepted.
The key to the program is doing well first semester and then you can coast second semester
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ignore spelling and/grammar
Is the coursework with undergrads (not including histo and anatomy) ?
Also, did anyone receive an e-mail upon completion of all the application materials?
1st question-Yes
2nd question- Yes but that was last year with a different director, I will encourage people to call- LMU/DCOM are super nice and the post bac program people would love to help
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ignore spelling and/grammar
Overall they went very well I only know of one rejection(did poorly first semester and left) and of 1 waitlist (acceptance pending a good 2nd semester). Some people still haven't heard back because they don't have all there stuff in yet(but they will more thank likely be accepted.
The key to the program is doing well first semester and then you can coast second semester
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ignore spelling and/grammar
Great to hear!! If you wouldn't mind do you know around what MCAT the people had that got accepted this year? I know you said before a 22 and above with a good showing in the program will get you in, I was just wondering if that still seemed to hold true after the interviews? Thanks
Hey everyone,
the website says letters of evaluation needed as part of the application, what is the breakdown of this? do they both have to be science professors?
thanks
the website says letters of evaluation needed as part of the application, what is the breakdown of this? do they both have to be science professors?
thanks
Hey everyone,
the website says letters of evaluation needed as part of the application, what is the breakdown of this? do they both have to be science professors?
thanks
Got this directly from the website
"Two letters of recommendation from faculty members are required. At least one must be from a science faculty member. Or you may submit a single letter if it is written by a pre-health advisory committee."
Got this directly from the website
"Two letters of recommendation from faculty members are required. At least one must be from a science faculty member. Or you may submit a single letter if it is written by a pre-health advisory committee."
Thank you! Somehow I missed that. Now I just have to play the waiting game.
^^^^ Do you have an MCAT score?
I do which makes the cut off but I'm also waiting the score for a retake which i doubt is any higher :-(
Have you received an email from the school yet? I submitted my application back in early Jan and haven't received anything :/Is the coursework with undergrads (not including histo and anatomy) ?
Also, did anyone receive an e-mail upon completion of all the application materials?
Hey. So I know of no place to check the status of an application. I just received through snail mail, a letter telling me I was missing parts of my application. I thought they had transferred over from my original AACOMAS DCOM application, but apparently not. So I just re-sent everything in over the weekend. If you have been complete for over four weeks and heard nothing, maybe you can shoot an e-mail out to the admissions office or something. I don't know how long it takes for them to review applications for this program.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted!!!
Congrats! What are your stats?
Congrats! What are your stats?
PM sent
Accepted!!!
omg congrats! !
Now to bother you:
How long was the turn around time on reviewing your application?
Also do you mind sharing your stats?
I really want to go here!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 1K