Linkage post-baccs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctry23

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I will be graduating from undergrad with an estimated ~ 3.5 cGPA and a 3.35 sGPA, which is why i'm looking into doing a post bacc year, but I only want to take 1 gap year instead of 2 so I'm trying to do a post-bac that has a linkage to a medical school and you get in directly the year after (skipping the glide year). The problem is that most of the linkage post baccs are geared towards those who haven't completely most of the pre-reqs, but I will be graduating with a bio degree and all pre-reqs completed (C+ and above grades in all, except 1 which I will retake in undergrad).

I am struggling to find post-bac programs(or master's or certificates even) WITH linkage to medical schools that are for students who have completed all of the med school pre-reqs. I have found 3 currently, and was hoping to see if SDN knew about any more?

Examples of these programs:
- Drexel Pathway to Medical School
Drexel Pathway to Medical School - College of Medicine
- Temple Uni ACMS track
- UPitt BMP (this is a master's program, not a post bac)
- NYMC AMP

Any others? My main criteria is just to be able to skip the glide year after the 1 year I spend doing this post-bac. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey just fyi in case you didn't know, UPitt's program's linkage is for people whose undergrad GPA is quite high (they said preferred>3.7) but decided to change careers later in their college years and need to fill certain course requirements. And like you said, you majored in bio so if I were you, I would try to find other better program options.

tbh Temple's looks solid, I was also in your boat last year looking for postbac programs.

Btw it might be good to consider a gap year just to take a break from 16 years of studying, just to continue studying for another 4+ however long residency will be. Also by completing your degree you become much more competitive as an applicant and can apply to a much broader range of schools the cycle after your postbac year compared to applying the same year as your postbac.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey just fyi in case you didn't know, UPitt's program's linkage is for people whose undergrad GPA is quite high (they said preferred>3.7) but decided to change careers later in their college years and need to fill certain course requirements. And like you said, you majored in bio so if I were you, I would try to find other better program options.

tbh Temple's looks solid, I was also in your boat last year looking for postbac programs.

Btw it might be good to consider a gap year just to take a break from 16 years of studying, just to continue studying for another 4+ however long residency will be. Also by completing your degree you become much more competitive as an applicant and can apply to a much broader range of schools the cycle after your postbac year compared to applying the same year as your postbac.

I totally agree! More school sounds a bit extra, but I think the weakest part of my application is my sGPA/cGPA and the only way I can increase that is through doing a DIY post-bacc at my home university for a year but since I'd have to wait to apply after I finish a year of courses, I would end up taking 2 gap years and I'm not really fond of that idea. That's why I had been looking into specialized science programs that would allow me to go into medical schools directly if I do well at that university for year (which I believe I could, for both Drexel and Temple!) and thus only take one gap year. I feel like I'm a decent applicant, just don't have a high enough GPA which is why I want to fix/address that issue.

ALSO, thanks for the heads up about UPitt - I learned that today as well!

Did you find a post-bacc program? I plan to apply to post-bacc programs this year when applications open in Sept and Oct. I want to leave the workforce and go back to school.