Links.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psyclops

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is a link from the Northwestern Website that I found useful when I was applying. I think it would be good for those who have questions about the field to read this.

http://www.wcas.northwestern.edu/psych/graduate/considering.html

Naturally that will probably provoke some more questions, but I believe that many of the routine questions that people come here with can be answered with this brief introduction.

Here is another link about the PhD degree in general, it has some interesting points for those who are PhD minded individuals.

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~jwd/comer-phd.htm

Members don't see this ad.

Here is another link about the PhD degree in general, it has some interesting points for those who are PhD minded individuals.

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~jwd/comer-phd.htm
this is my favorite:
Adaptability:
Most students are unprepared for Ph.D. study. They find it unexpectedly different than course work. Suddenly thrust into a world in which no one knows the answers, students sometimes flounder. Can you adapt to new ways of thinking? Can you tolerate searching for answers even when no one knows the precise questions?

shock-me-sane said:
this is my favorite:
Adaptability:
Most students are unprepared for Ph.D. study. They find it unexpectedly different than course work. Suddenly thrust into a world in which no one knows the answers, students sometimes flounder. Can you adapt to new ways of thinking? Can you tolerate searching for answers even when no one knows the precise questions?

I am not sure if you are a grad student Psyclops, but perhaps you can tell me this or if not someone else can help. What is it like trying to live as a graduate student? I am assuming you have a stipend which helps but you have to live very frugally. Is this the case and if so how difficult is it? Can you actually live off the stipend (depending on the program of course) or is that impossible? I am just trying to prepare myself for what the next six or so years will be like assuming I am lucky enough to get in!

Members don't see this ad :)
irish80122 said:
I am not sure if you are a grad student Psyclops, but perhaps you can tell me this or if not someone else can help. What is it like trying to live as a graduate student? I am assuming you have a stipend which helps but you have to live very frugally. Is this the case and if so how difficult is it? Can you actually live off the stipend (depending on the program of course) or is that impossible? I am just trying to prepare myself for what the next six or so years will be like assuming I am lucky enough to get in!

Sincerely, yes, you can live off a stipend. BUT, and as you should know this is a big but, it depends on the type of life you want to lead. Look, I recently graduated from a MS program. The stipend given to me there was not enough to make ends meet. I worked on the side and it made it possible. But over all, financially it was not comfortable. The PhD program which I begin in the fall will cover all of the expences I plan to incur. Will it be a lavish life? NO. Will it be comfortable? YES. But the school I will be attending is not located in a big city. Naturally, that sacrifices a cultural expericence, but it affords a debt free (more or less) expericence. For extremes, you can imagine living in NYC vs. lving in cillege station texas (TAMU). In NYC you will need to take out significant loans. In College Station you will live like a king, both of these being a stipend of 15k. Some students, regardelss of locale, will take out a certain amount of loans to live to their accostomed level of comfort. If you like to eat sushi every meal you might want a few extra duccats. But for the most part you can get by. Naturally one would contrast this with what they could be earning in another job. But, lets face it, you aren't going to be making much wiht that BA in psych. :laugh: :laugh: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: But, if you contrast it with what med students pay, and what JD students pay, you really aren't hurting yourself.

Furthermore, I'm no particular expert on the process, but I tend to be more vocal and more willing to share than most. So, although I have been successful in the process, others' opinions might be better. Regardless, I'm a big believer in that the more info you have the better you will do.

I wish all of you who are coming up on the application process the best. It certanly is dificult, mostly in a dotting you I's and crossing your T's kind of way.

Psyclops said:
Sincerely, yes, you can live off a stipend. BUT, and as you should know this is a big but, it depends on the type of life you want to lead. Look, I recently graduated from a MS program. The stipend given to me there was not enough to make ends meet. I worked on the side and it made it possible. But over all, financially it was not comfortable. The PhD program which I begin in the fall will cover all of the expences I plan to incur. Will it be a lavish life? NO. Will it be comfortable? YES. But the school I will be attending is not located in a big city. Naturally, that sacrifices a cultural expericence, but it affords a debt free (more or less) expericence. For extremes, you can imagine living in NYC vs. lving in cillege station texas (TAMU). In NYC you will need to take out significant loans. In College Station you will live like a king, both of these being a stipend of 15k. Some students, regardelss of locale, will take out a certain amount of loans to live to their accostomed level of comfort. If you like to eat sushi every meal you might want a few extra duccats. But for the most part you can get by. Naturally one would contrast this with what they could be earning in another job. But, lets face it, you aren't going to be making much wiht that BA in psych. :laugh: :laugh: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: But, if you contrast it with what med students pay, and what JD students pay, you really aren't hurting yourself.

Furthermore, I'm no particular expert on the process, but I tend to be more vocal and more willing to share than most. So, although I have been successful in the process, others' opinions might be better. Regardless, I'm a big believer in that the more info you have the better you will do.

I wish all of you who are coming up on the application process the best. It certanly is dificult, mostly in a dotting you I's and crossing your T's kind of way.

Thanks for being here Psyclops, and I do know how you feel. I am actually (with a different name) still on the College Confidential message board trying to help kids get into my undergraduate school. I know sometimes I hit questions that aren't my strength, but I still give it a shot knowing it is better than nothing. Even if that is what you do, I still respect your opinion and it still helps! Thanks again!