Lisinopril and high Scr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Pharmacy Kid

LCDR
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know with ace-i and arbs you monitor Scr because an elevation can mean renal stenosis. However, if a pt has always had a high Scr level which is slighty increasing and is on ace-i or arb, what point do you consider decreasing, stopping, or changing anything at all?
 
I know with ace-i and arbs you monitor Scr because an elevation can mean renal stenosis. However, if a pt has always had a high Scr level which is slighty increasing and is on ace-i or arb, what point do you consider decreasing, stopping, or changing anything at all?

What I learned in school and rotations: 30% increased in SCr the 1st two months of therapy or serum K > 5.6 mmol, you consider d/c or dose reduction

The KDOQI guidelines suggest dose reduction if GFR decreases by 30-50% and d/c if GFR decreases by more than 50%.

But I'm still a P4 so interested to see what practicing pharmacists have to say.
 
I know with ace-i and arbs you monitor Scr because an elevation can mean renal stenosis. However, if a pt has always had a high Scr level which is slighty increasing and is on ace-i or arb, what point do you consider decreasing, stopping, or changing anything at all?

A bump of < 0.5 on SrCr is usually acceptable as long as K+ stays normal. Above that, I would eval risk vs. benefits case by case. What if it's a CHF or post MI pt? What about simple hypertension pt?
 
A bump of < 0.5 on SrCr is usually acceptable as long as K+ stays normal. Above that, I would eval risk vs. benefits case by case. What if it's a CHF or post MI pt? What about simple hypertension pt?

exactly, if there is a compelling indication and the patient is still maintaining fairly consistent renal function, you'd want to leave them on the drug. diabetes, CHF, post-MI should have an ACE-I/ARB on board for sure and regardless we would expect to see a brief rise in SCr but there is a good chance it will come back to baseline after a few weeks/months.