List of MD schools? Is this a reasonable list for me? help pls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Loonj

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Umass medical

2. Boston University

3. Tufts University

4. Cooper medical school of Rowan University

5. Albany Medical College

6. Florida State University College of Medicine

7. Howard University

8. Loyola University Chicago

9. Medical University of South Carolina

10. Mercer University

I might add more schools or exchange some. I live in MA and am hoping i get into umass medical. I have a 3.8 gpa, i havent gotten my mcat scores back yet I get them tmrw. I am probably looking between 507-511 on the mcat depending on how the cars section went. Im mad nervous lol idk how I did. I have average EC's but i think my personal comments is strong. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I would always apply to at least 25 schools.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Umass medical

2. Boston University

3. Tufts University

4. Cooper medical school of Rowan University

5. Albany Medical College

6. Florida State University College of Medicine

7. Howard University

8. Loyola University Chicago

9. Medical University of South Carolina

10. Mercer University

I might add more schools or exchange some. I live in MA and am hoping i get into umass medical. I have a 3.8 gpa, i havent gotten my mcat scores back yet I get them tmrw. I am probably looking between 507-511 on the mcat depending on how the cars section went. Im mad nervous lol idk how I did. I have average EC's but i think my personal comments is strong. Any advice?
With those stats you're a shoo in for UMASS :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe Howard mostly looks for AA applicants. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. If you're not, I'd advise against applying there.

Albany also gets tons of applications. I'd apply if you have something that will make you stand out from the rest. Cooper is probably filled with NJ kids.

Also, if you're serious about getting into med school, ten schools will not cut it. That's below average. Apply to 15-20.

Hopefully you did great on the MCAT!

Last edited:
What are you using to choose your school list? Florida St accepts almost no OOS. Howard is a HBC...are you UiM? Also, you really should try to have at least 15 schools on your list.

Invest in MSAR - I count several schools that accept very few to no OOS - FSU, Mercer off the top of my head

At this point, wait until you're MCAT is in and develop a school list.

Post your MCAT score today and we can give you a realistic school list. Your current list has schools that accept very few non residents such as Florida State, Cooper, Mercer and South Carolina. Mercer matriculated zero non residents 2 years ago and Florida State only 2.

got my mcat scores back, 507. Pretty bummed out by it I was hoping for a 510 atleast. So how does that change my list, what schools should I apply to

got my mcat scores back, 507. Pretty bummed out by it I was hoping for a 510 atleast. So how does that change my list, what schools should I apply to
Get rid of BU their 10th percentile MCAT is a 509 ish. UMASS should still be fine, along with Tufts.

Get the MSAR and see where you fit.