list of medical disqualifications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrsmac

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much to the folks who answered my TRICARE question. Now I have another....

Is there an available list of disqualifying medical conditions that I can access? I'm not a "sickly" person, but I would like to know what could disqualify me before I go through the hassle of filling out the application. The recruiter told me I should be okay as long as I haven't had any serious illnesses/injuries but that didn't sound quite right. :confused: I've had two kids and had post-partum depression after my first. Could that be a reason for disqualification? So if anyone out there knows of a list or knows the criteria, please let me know.

Thanks

mrsmac

My grandfather was an Air Force Vet and all you guys get the utmost respect from me regardless of if you make the military a career or not!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry. There is a list, but they will waive just about EVERYTHING.

NO ONE in their right mind is taking the scholarships, so anyone who applies gets a lot of chances.

They will waive just about anything.

If you can walk and chew gum at the same time, you'll get it.

mrsmac said:
Thanks so much to the folks who answered my TRICARE question. Now I have another....

Is there an available list of disqualifying medical conditions that I can access? I'm not a "sickly" person, but I would like to know what could disqualify me before I go through the hassle of filling out the application. The recruiter told me I should be okay as long as I haven't had any serious illnesses/injuries but that didn't sound quite right. :confused: I've had two kids and had post-partum depression after my first. Could that be a reason for disqualification? So if anyone out there knows of a list or knows the criteria, please let me know.

Thanks

mrsmac

My grandfather was an Air Force Vet and all you guys get the utmost respect from me regardless of if you make the military a career or not!
Well, since sarcasm rules this board, I will answer your question from the 'quiet' corner. MilitaryMD is correct-- there are waivers for asthma, certain surgeries, certain disorders, but there are absolute disqualifying medical conditions:
1. you test positive on a drug screen (1st time is DQ for AF, Navy and Army allow a second test in 45 days)
2. Body fat percentage and poor performance on stress endurance test. Body fat shouldn't be above 33percent for women and (I believe) 26 percent for men according to a formula for navy, and height/weight for army.
3. You have had some horrible orthopaedic surgery that (basically) cost over 10k... I'm not really sure what the DQ characteristics of ortho surgery is, so I'm going with a pricetag.
4. You have HIV, horribly high LDL counts, diabetes, hemophilia, sickle cell disease, any other major blood disorder.
5. You are pregnant
6. You have had a sex change
7. You have breast implants
So, I hope this gives you an idea. Also, when you go to MEPS, here's some advice: be quiet, do as you are told, and drink a lot of water before you get there. Everyone loves to treat you like any other enlisted recruit until they find out you're an officer candidate--then it's all yes ma'am, no ma'am... so just put up with it. The corpsmen/techs can be quite bitchy and/or rude, just deal with it and write them off. Don't talk to the other recruits because EVERYTHING is considered a privacy violation. And bring a book to read- its a hurry up and wait game like everything else. You have to remember that the majority of enlisted recruits are going straight to boot camp after MEPS, so the military has already begun to play mental mind f*ck with them, but they won't with you.
Hope this balances the sarcasm that everyone on this board loves to dish out, yet hates to receive.

Members don't see this ad :)
curlycorday said:
Well, since sarcasm rules this board, I will answer
. . .
Hope this balances the sarcasm that everyone on this board loves to dish out, yet hates to receive.

What's wrong with a little sarcasm to start the day?

Add seizure disorders, major psychiatric disorders, ADD/Hyperactivity disorders and Personality Disorders (although undiagnosed PDs get through quite readily).

How lenient is the military if you are over the weight to height standard?

curlycorday said:
So, I hope this gives you an idea. Also, when you go to MEPS, here's some advice: be quiet, do as you are told, and drink a lot of water before you get there. Everyone loves to treat you like any other enlisted recruit until they find out you're an officer candidate--then it's all yes ma'am, no ma'am... so just put up with it. The corpsmen/techs can be quite bitchy and/or rude, just deal with it and write them off. Don't talk to the other recruits because EVERYTHING is considered a privacy violation. And bring a book to read- its a hurry up and wait game like everything else. You have to remember that the majority of enlisted recruits are going straight to boot camp after MEPS, so the military has already begun to play mental mind f*ck with them, but they won't with you.

Not quite true. Nobody at the MEPS at Ft Jackson seemed to care I was an officer candidate, or maybe they just didn't realize it -- the computers were down that morning so we all received hand-made nametags.

I got used to the whole mental mind**** stuff during my NROTC days. I had the joy of spending a week at the Marine Corps depot out at Ft Jackson. We received a very abridged version of the Marine/Navy basic training. I still remember my Gunny and the Staff Sergeant. Fun times, but you learn to ignore their bull**** and just do what you're told.

USAF_Dentman said:

Judging by some of the folks around the hospital, they are pretty lenient, especially as an applicant or while you're still in school. For example, I know one person who has never done a push-up in his/her entire life. And, as mentioned before, almost anything - including height/weight - is waiverable. Remember also that it's not necessarily height/weight, but body fat percentage.

Once you're on active duty, things will probably tighten up slightly. For us, if you don't at least pass the APFT, which includes height/weight, then you either have to do fat boy PT or get a waiver from your CO/PD.

I'll admit that the height/weight standards can be a little ridiculous, especially for women. But the bottom line is that if you're in the military then a basal level of fitness makes sense and should be expected. And IMHO, the standards aren't really that tough; they used to be a whole lot tougher.

colbgw02 said:
Judging by some of the folks around the hospital, they are pretty lenient, especially as an applicant or while you're still in school. For example, I know one person who has never done a push-up in his/her entire life. And, as mentioned before, almost anything - including height/weight - is waiverable. Remember also that it's not necessarily height/weight, but body fat percentage.

Once you're on active duty, things will probably tighten up slightly. For us, if you don't at least pass the APFT, which includes height/weight, then you either have to do fat boy PT or get a waiver from your CO/PD.

I'll admit that the height/weight standards can be a little ridiculous, especially for women. But the bottom line is that if you're in the military then a basal level of fitness makes sense and should be expected. And IMHO, the standards aren't really that tough; they used to be a whole lot tougher.

I should mention that I'm also NOT out of shape..

I'm a strongman competitor..5'11" 220 lbs with about 12% bf...I really enjoy competing in these competitions and I would really hate to have to lose 25+lbs, as it has been incredibly hard to get where I am.. I can still run the mile in under 6 minutes and do 70+ pushups in 1 minute, so I wouldn't see how my weight would be a problem..

Are there differences in the Army, Navy, and Air force for what they would allow?

Thanks for the input..

USAF_Dentman said:
I should mention that I'm also NOT out of shape..

I'm a strongman competitor..5'11" 220 lbs with about 12% bf...I really enjoy competing in these competitions and I would really hate to have to lose 25+lbs, as it has been incredibly hard to get where I am.. I can still run the mile in under 6 minutes and do 70+ pushups in 1 minute, so I wouldn't see how my weight would be a problem..

Are there differences in the Army, Navy, and Air force for what they would allow?

Thanks for the input..

Last I checked, Army had the tightest restrictions, Navy and AF less so. If you have a thick neck and thin waist, no worries you will tape just fine.

Navy lets you be heavier if you score excellent or outstanding the Physical Readiness Test.

There are no waivers for weight to get in the Navy, but that does not mean the borderlines don't gain weight during school. Won't get them out of their contract, but will prevent getting residency and promotions.

NavyFP said:
Last I checked, Army had the tightest restrictions, Navy and AF less so. If you have a thick neck and thin waist, no worries you will tape just fine.QUOTE]

Just to expound, they use some magical formula of waist to neck circumference to calculate body fat percentage. I never quite understood the science behind that, because I workout but don't really do many neck exercises. In any case, if you're 12% then you're well below the allowable percentage, let's just hope their magical formula spits out the same number.

I can speak for Navy on the height/weight standards: I was 15lb overweight by the height/weight chart for navy, but for the 'taping' or body fat measurement I came in at 24%, well within range for a female. If you're worried, have your recruiter measure you to make you both more comfortable.

USAF_Dentman said:

QUOTE]

I have the same problem. I failed the Army physical 3 times before realizing the Navy's standards were the least strict. AF isn't so bad either. They use a taping system in the Army if your height/weight ratio is off and I can speak first hand about it's inacurracies.

I am 5'0", weight 145-150, but outstanding highed my PRT at OIS in all categories. The standards do not take as many factors into account as needed.

mrsmac said:

Thanks

mrsmac

If you're interested in the Army, follow this link to reference AR 40-501, the Army's regulations on medical fitness standards. Read chapter 2 ("Enlistment, Appointment and Induction"). Lists EVERYTHING that can keep you out of the Army. But, as MilMD pointed out, they will waive pretty much anything. Except being fat, because, as we all know, appearance is FAR more important than competence.

http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/r40_501.pdf

XRMD

orbitsurgMD said:
What's wrong with a little sarcasm to start the day?

Add seizure disorders, major psychiatric disorders, ADD/Hyperactivity disorders and Personality Disorders (although undiagnosed PDs get through quite readily).

How strict is the Navy if you've been diagnosed with ADD no hyperactivity? I am 26 and was just diagnosed 3 months ago. I was very successful in school without any sort of meds or extra help, and am a very competitive med school applicant now. I have taken Ritalin sporadically since being diagnosed in March, and it helps but, like I said, I've been successful in life for 26 years without it. I've never had any other psych issues, never had any legal trouble, etc. Will the Navy dig up that info if I don't confess on my application?

XildUpNawth said:
How strict is the Navy if you've been diagnosed with ADD no hyperactivity? I am 26 and was just diagnosed 3 months ago. I was very successful in school without any sort of meds or extra help, and am a very competitive med school applicant now. I have taken Ritalin sporadically since being diagnosed in March, and it helps but, like I said, I've been successful in life for 26 years without it. I've never had any other psych issues, never had any legal trouble, etc. Will the Navy dig up that info if I don't confess on my application?

Continue to not take the meds, and you will be fine.

militarymd said:
Don't worry. There is a list, but they will waive just about EVERYTHING.

NO ONE in their right mind is taking the scholarships, so anyone who applies gets a lot of chances.

They will waive just about anything.

If you can walk and chew gum at the same time, you'll get it.

I guess the AF is going to have lots of crazy doctors in the future, including me :laugh:
Just so you know what is really going on...the AF has exceeded thier quota for HPSP applicants, while the Navy is under 50% and the Army is struggling as well. So, if you don't really have a preference to which branch you want to go into, I would think the Navy or Army will be more lenient(desperate).

curlycorday said:
Everyone loves to treat you like any other enlisted recruit until they find out you're an officer candidate--then it's all yes ma'am, no ma'am... so just put up with it.

So true. I remember being told by one enlisted person to do one thing, and then getting yelled at by another for following orders. When I stated that I was an officer applicant, he let up and everyone started being a little nicer.

orbitsurgMD said:

You can get it all waived with a psych eval. I had a history of anxiety, visited a shrink care of MEPS, and got a waiver. My recruiter even told me about someone with Turret's Syndrome getting into the Air Force. She said, "After that happened, I believe that anybody can get in."

USAF_Dentman said:

From what I have seen, they are not. I have wanted to join the service for years and could never pass the height/weight standards and always came near the body fat standard. It is ironic that they cannot find enough docs who will answer the call but then keep out some of us who would join in a second because of an archaic system.

If you are considering using the body fat standard to get in, you should know that the military does not use the same formulas that every other gym or healthcare providers use (i.e., it does not measure waist, neck, arm, chest, hips, legs etc). Rather it uses a formula that includes wrist, neck and hips circumference. For women who are of Mediterrian or African descent and have wider hip ratios, it can be very difficult to come within the requirements. I was within the 32% under my physicians and trainer's formulas but was at 43% with the military.

In case anyone was wondering how this can be so, I have a very large chest (DDD) and hips but a comparatively small waist, neck, arms and lower legs. I ended up going for the bariatric surgery to try to make the weight requirements for my height, which range from around 154-175. So far I have lost 50 pounds and I may be within the required range by this time next year.

Depending on which type of surgery, you might have disqualified yourself.

Not to be a jerk but 32% is high regardless of what system you use to measure bodyfat. With 50 pounds lost and still not within the required range, that would put you at well over 225lb. Unless you are extremely tall, it isn't the military's system that is keeping you out but your weight.

Just because there is a shortage doesn't mean the military should also lower the physical standards. It's bad enough the concession they make for officers without letting them come in out of shape.

It's heard all over Marine bases but it holds true..."If you can't run with the big dog....stay on the porch". If your having trouble now what's going to change once the uniform goes on?
vtucci said:
From what I have seen, they are not. I have wanted to join the service for years and could never pass the height/weight standards and always came near the body fat standard. It is ironic that they cannot find enough docs who will answer the call but then keep out some of us who would join in a second because of an archaic system.

If you are considering using the body fat standard to get in, you should know that the military does not use the same formulas that every other gym or healthcare providers use (i.e., it does not measure waist, neck, arm, chest, hips, legs etc). Rather it uses a formula that includes wrist, neck and hips circumference. For women who are of Mediterrian or African descent and have wider hip ratios, it can be very difficult to come within the requirements. I was within the 32% under my physicians and trainer's formulas but was at 43% with the military.

In case anyone was wondering how this can be so, I have a very large chest (DDD) and hips but a comparatively small waist, neck, arms and lower legs. I ended up going for the bariatric surgery to try to make the weight requirements for my height, which range from around 154-175. So far I have lost 50 pounds and I may be within the required range by this time next year.

mrsmac said:

Thanks

mrsmac

First off Let me start by saying to all those who post attacking me. Yes I AM a recruiter, NO I am not here to recruit. I am also a premed major hoping to take the MCAT in April. I DO NOT CARE IF ANYONE WANTS THE SCHOLARSHIP, I AM NOT HERE TO CONVINCE YOU TO JOIN OR NOT TO JOIN. No one made up my mind for me, I will not make up yours for you, SO STOP ATTACKING ME.. Now that that's out of the way...

Do a yahoo search for army Regulations and look up AR 40-501 Standards of Medical Fitness. This is what the MEPS uses( at least for the Army), MEPS not the recruiter qualifies people to join, they also disqualify people. Though many things can get waivers only the Chief Medical Officer at the Office of the Surgeon General, in Virginia can grant those waivers for scholarship applicants. There are many things he will not waive for example: if you are currently on a medicationf or any chronic condition you will be disqualified until one year after you stop taking it and get clearance from a physician, if you missing any limbs, even a finger, if you have asthma or a history of asthma you are done. No waivers. He judges each case on the medical documentation received. There, I hope I have helped. The regulation for the Air Force may have a different number but the same basic standa :) rds.

People attack you because you say things that aren't true... I was active duty for 11 years, served honorably and separated after my commitment. I never even got a speeding ticket let alone any disciplinary anything. You can dismiss me as a bitter pill but you are selling this like a telemarketer sells widgets... spouting the corporate line. Perhaps if you want to recruit people to go shoot people and break stuff maybe you know about that.

I KNOW from 11 years as a military doctor, not a 91 bravo or medical tech... college student... med student wanna be what goes on in the hospital, at deployments between hospital command and the military physicians who work beneath them and you are talking about things you don't know about... giving misinformation.... I call it lying... my recruiter lied to me just like you are lying to people... you are recruiting them if you are saying fluff about what is going to happen to you when you sign the contract... people make decisions based on your misinformation. You may delude yourself into thinking you know what is what but it is obvious you have zero clue. You make quotas just like the police hand out speeding tickets.

So you think you are going to just make flippant comments, corrections, etc about what it is like to be a military doctor because you worked in the PACU and people who have been there are going to let it slide you are wrong. Maybe you should offer advise to the first time pregnant woman about what it is going to be like for them when they deliver. :thumbdown:

Well thank you for serving. My general gripe is that I am here for me. When I chime in with what I know to be true ( and it may differ from what you know to be true) I am being attacked because of my current assignment as a recruiter. I am not here for that. Nowhere in the several posts I have made since joining have you ever seen me advertise, endorse or try to convince anyone of anything. The military and the scholarship are choices, I was not forced into my choice, I made it of my own free will. For better or worse and it is because my word is worth more than any amount of money or benefit.
Just because things go wrong or my assignment isn't exactly Emily Post doesn't mean I can shove off what I swore to do. When your word is no good, you have nothing. Granted, I believe everything that these people who are disgruntled say happened to them actually did. However, not every physician in the military is as disgruntled as some are here.

I do not invalidate the merit in anyone's complaint but some people believe because something wasn't true to them, then it is false period. I scored a 99 on the ASVAB an joined the military wanting to be a linguist but at the time there were no linguist jobs in the computer. So I signed up to be a medic. I went to a Delayed entry Program Function and a girl who scored a 50 on the ASVAB got the linguist job that I wanted. It doesn't mean I was lied to. What happened was the day she went down to pick a job, that one was open. She met the requirement and gotthe job. My timing was just unfortunate.

All in all I love medicine, I love the Doctors I have worked with but as a recruiter I feel like a surgeon who was in the room during a routine procedure and the patient dies. Now I am being sued and all I did was be present. If as a physician I tell someone," well this procedure is simple but things can happen and [state all the possiblities] so sign this informed consent" and someone codes on the operating table despite my best efforts because of "unforeseen complications" I didn't lie to that patient did I? I hope that all the people who come at me, who is here to get help entering medical school myself and to talk to other military people about military medicine feel good about attacking me. Supoose I was a mechanic and someone asked me a question and I gave my best answer based on my knowledge and their car goes boink, was it my intention to lie?

All I am asking is don't attack me because I am a recruiter and you are frustrated with yours. Think of me as a student just trying to acheive my goals. I will NEVER advertise or solicit on this site. That is not what I am here for so give me a break please. I have an opinion too.