List of Programs not participating in ERAS? Are programs not in ERAS, less competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hjdmx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question is thread title above ^

Members don't see this ad.

yea.

Are they less competitive? And does anyone of list of such programs?

There are a few pre-match programs that come to my mind right now like Mt Sinai, IL, Interfaith, NY, Bronx-Lebanon, NY. Most of these programs are LOW-middle tier. I read somewhere in SDN where one of the moderators mentioned that 4th year US allopathic students cannot participate outside the MATCH. I can't really confirm that fact, but that also makes sense as you see these programs mostly have IMGs. Is it down to them being less attractive to US grads? Probably, YES! IMGs really don't have much to choose from. I have seen many 250s - 260s IMGs with decent research accept pre-match and get done with it. The match process can be tricky. And these programs also send invites out to high scorers first.

Reactions: 1 user
There are a few pre-match programs that come to my mind right now like Mt Sinai, IL, Interfaith, NY, Bronx-Lebanon, NY. Most of these programs are LOW-middle tier. I read somewhere in SDN where one of the moderators mentioned that 4th year US allopathic students cannot participate outside the MATCH. I can't really confirm that fact, but that also makes sense as you see these programs mostly have IMGs. Is it down to them being less attractive to US grads? Probably, YES! IMGs really don't have much to choose from. I have seen many 250s - 260s IMGs with decent research accept pre-match and get done with it. The match process can be tricky. And these programs also send invites out to high scorers first.

There is no list. USMLE forum will have a lot of opinions about what programs fall into this category.

To match AMGs, you must be "all-in" the match and can't offer positions outside the match. Thus, any program outside the match, by definition, is an all-IMG program. I'll leave it to you to decide what that means for competitiveness.

Reactions: 2 users
There are a few pre-match programs that come to my mind right now like Mt Sinai, IL, Interfaith, NY, Bronx-Lebanon, NY. Most of these programs are LOW-middle lower tier.
Fixed that for you.

I read somewhere in SDN where one of the moderators mentioned that 4th year US allopathic students cannot participate outside the MATCH. I can't really confirm that fact, but that also makes sense as you see these programs mostly have IMGs. Is it down to them being less attractive to US grads? Probably, YES!
This is in fact true. You're either all-in (in which case you can match anyone you like), or you're "All Out" (at the GME level, not individual program level) in which case you're pretty much limited to IMGs who aren't willing to take their chance in the Match.
IMGs really don't have much to choose from. I have seen many 250s - 260s IMGs with decent research accept pre-match and get done with it. The match process can be tricky. And these programs also send invites out to high scorers first.
I think that's a little disingenuous. It's certainly harder to match as an IMG than an AMG with identical stats (other than school), but lots of IMGs match...~5200 of them last year according to the Charting Outcomes (warning...PDF link) that appears to be hot off the press (well...last Monday anyway). That said, <48% of IMGs matched last year. It's impossible to tell if this is a significant change from prior however as this is the first time that "Indepedent Applicants" have been sub-divided and IMG data analyzed separately. So, I suppose if you think you're going to be "on the bubble" to Match, one of these places may be a reasonable choice for you.

Reactions: 1 users
I think that's a little disingenuous. It's certainly harder to match as an IMG than an AMG with identical stats (other than school), but lots of IMGs match...~5200 of them last year according to the Charting Outcomes (warning...PDF link) that appears to be hot off the press (well...last Monday anyway). That said, <48% of IMGs matched last year. It's impossible to tell if this is a significant change from prior however as this is the first time that "Indepedent Applicants" have been sub-divided and IMG data analyzed separately. So, I suppose if you think you're going to be "on the bubble" to Match, one of these places may be a reasonable choice for you.

I agree that many IMGs match, almost half of them. So, there is a lot of ground to remain positive. Considering the number of applicants that do apply, it is really a good number for so many foreign grads with varied credentials. Many high scorers match because they fetch a good number of interviews. I was just citing few examples of people who did not risk going into the match. It could have been down to lack of confidence, low number of interview invites, etc. And rightly as the data shows, high scorers should feel confident with their chances given they also have other extra points to score in their CV other than just good scores. But, it is very hard to feel confident for average scorer IMGs compared to AMGs with similar stats. Pre-match can be a tricky option for that group of candidates if they are offered one.

Theoretically, you can go to FREIDA, enter the field you're interested in, and in the Keywords section enter NOT NRMP. That should find programs that are not using NRMP. Unfortunately, it also matches any program that didn't fill out it's survey. But it's a place to start.

A Caribbean school provided this list of possible all-out programs. You can apply to both all-in and all-out programs, but as soon as you go on an all-out interview, there is a good chance you will be given a contract with 24-48 hours to sign. If you sign, it is binding, and you CANNOT participate in the match. However, if you are getting no interviews or are an IMG with poor stats, it may be better than not matching. You will likely work like a dog and have limited options coming out, but it is something.

Attachments

• FINAL-2017-Possible-All-Outs.xlsx
    30 KB · Views: 2,502
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the list! There are some pretty established names and schools in there, though some are community hospitals affiliated with established names (New york methodist, UCLA Harbor, Mt Sinai, Rutgers, UC Davis, etc.). Surprised to see them there. I wonder how many interviewees go on an interview for these schools but don't sign the contract, so they'll still be okay for the match.. Or maybe some interviewees don't even know these programs do not participate in NRMP match, and just go on the interview....For me, as an AMG, I've never heard of pre-Match until now. Scary.

Question is thread title above ^
Pre-Matched Radiology Beth Israel/Robert Wood J Barnabas Medical Center, I will Graduate SGU this May..... Step 1 250+ , Step 2 250+

Pre-Matched Radiology Beth Israel/Robert Wood J Barnabas Medical Center, I will Graduate SGU this May..... Step 1 250+ , Step 2 250+
Congrats man!