List of Programs That Terminate Residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Agree.

There's nothing wrong with having this information available on the Internet, it can help many to make decisions.

We shouldn't censure/ban stuff, unless it violates SDN rules.

Keep them coming.

Sure, there's nothing wrong with this info being out there, but it's usefulness is probably low overall. There are unique issues with each of these cases and it doesn't mean that future residents would even be affected by this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Ditto.

1) We cannot generalize all residents who are fired as "bad doctors" -- the uniqueness of cases.
2) If we follow this line of thinking, programs would have little to lose and future applicants coul take the time to do their own research and confirm/deny the rumors.

We should always strive for transparency and accountability, it's about time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I know of one case at the University of Florida where an OMFS resident was fired in a completely unjust way. This was around the time that a certain famous athlete was playing football there. He sustained an injury on the field and had some imaging done at the hospital. This OMFS resident was working his ass off on a general surgery rotation at the time. After answering one of the 500 pages he got per hour on that service, he had to leave the computer he was working on to go tend to another patient. Having not signed out of his workstation, somebody signed onto his imaging account and looked up this athlete's images. Because UF values football over everything else in the world, they apparently have IT people watching everyone who logs onto this athlete's file. A few days later, the resident gets a call to see the dean of the dental school and is fired on the spot. We didn't have a residents union or anything, but a petition was started and signed by virtually every resident for this dean to pull her head out of her ass and rescind the termination. She didn't budge. The resident was gone from that point on, and as far as I know there was no legal recourse for the dean's actions. He did find another spot somewhere else.

I was in a different department and saw some other residents fired, but those residents all had it coming to them. The above case was the only one I saw where the resident was totally screwed.

Cases that went to court:
-Nayak v. St Vincent (ADA) -- Settled, finished training somewhere else.
-Castrillon v. St. Vincent (Gender) -- Recently settled.
-Bulwer v. Mt. Auburn (National Origin) -- Heading to trial after decision reversed by appeal.
-Marlow v. Rush (ADA/Whistleblower) -- Settled outside court.
-McDaniel v. Loyola -- Ongoing, discrimination and defamation claims survived MTD.
There is a huge difference between listing programs that have fired residents (who's to say how many were justified, just saying that person eventually found a different program and finished says nothing about whether the initial firing was justified or not, they could have just as well straightened up after that) and a list of firings that have been litigated successfully, which might actually affect what programs I might choose to apply to. Thus, the former is just airing dirty laundry with no word of whether there might have been justification, and the latter is something proven in a court of law. What I would like to know is what residencies within those Hospitals/Universities are the offenders in the cases listed above, because there are some places where the malignancy is not Hospital/University wide, but merely program specific.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree.

There's nothing wrong with having this information available on the Internet, it can help many to make decisions.

We shouldn't censure/ban stuff, unless it violates SDN rules.

Keep them coming.

I don't think it really matters.

I could add one more program to the list, but hell that program is already having issues filling in the match and recently had the ACGME come down on them, so I don't need to post anything.

It's public record, here they are:
1) St. Vincent in Indiana - OBGYN (ADA) and IM (sexual harassment).
2) Hopkins - Surgery (breach of contract)
3) Mt. Auburn in Boston - IM (National Origin)
4) Rush - Neurorads (ADA/Whistleblower)
5) Loyola - Ortho (retaliation/defamation and so on)
6) Darmouth - Rads, Surg, Psych.
http://www.thedartmouth.com/2013/05/23/dhmc-program-faces-4-lawsuits/

All are fairly recent.

I could add one more program to the list, but hell that program is already having issues filling in the match and recently had the ACGME come down on them, so I don't need to post anything.

ACGME won't do much besides issuing a "reprimand". Probation is unlikely to happen.

Last edited:
I know of one case at the University of Florida where an OMFS resident was fired in a completely unjust way. This was around the time that a certain famous athlete was playing football there. He sustained an injury on the field and had some imaging done at the hospital. This OMFS resident was working his ass off on a general surgery rotation at the time. After answering one of the 500 pages he got per hour on that service, he had to leave the computer he was working on to go tend to another patient. Having not signed out of his workstation, somebody signed onto his imaging account and looked up this athlete's images. Because UF values football over everything else in the world, they apparently have IT people watching everyone who logs onto this athlete's file. A few days later, the resident gets a call to see the dean of the dental school and is fired on the spot. We didn't have a residents union or anything, but a petition was started and signed by virtually every resident for this dean to pull her head out of her ass and rescind the termination. She didn't budge. The resident was gone from that point on, and as far as I know there was no legal recourse for the dean's actions. He did find another spot somewhere else.

I was in a different department and saw some other residents fired, but those residents all had it coming to them. The above case was the only one I saw where the resident was totally screwed.
Congratulations, you've discovered HIPAA. Hospitals fire employees all the time for looking at stuff like Kim Kardashian's records or anyone who made the news. Residencies probably have a little more leeway because we don't work directly for the hospital, but it isn't really a case of them valuing football as much as a case of them valuing not breaking federal law. Celebrity charts are just monitored more closely because they know they're more likely to get violated. Similarly, employee charts are also closely monitored (in case you look up your coworkers).

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations, you've discovered HIPAA. Hospitals fire employees all the time for looking at stuff like Kim Kardashian's records or anyone who made the news. Residencies probably have a little more leeway because we don't work directly for the hospital, but it isn't really a case of them valuing football as much as a case of them valuing not breaking federal law. Celebrity charts are just monitored more closely because they know they're more likely to get violated. Similarly, employee charts are also closely monitored (in case you look up your coworkers).
Agreed, even as medical students they warn you against leaving a workstation open, especially with Patient records on screen

It's public record, here they are:
1) St. Vincent in Indiana - OBGYN (ADA) and IM (sexual harassment).
2) Hopkins - Surgery (breach of contract)
3) Mt. Auburn in Boston - IM (National Origin)
4) Rush - Neurorads (ADA/Whistleblower)
5) Loyola - Ortho (retaliation/defamation and so on)
6) Darmouth - Rads, Surg, Psych.
http://www.thedartmouth.com/2013/05/23/dhmc-program-faces-4-lawsuits/

All are fairly recent.
I'm surprised Loyola wasn't Gen Surg. I've heard... some stuff

There's a lot of "big bad mean programs" talk in this thread. People seem to fail to realize that the vast majority of residents manage to not get terminated. The ones who do, are highly, highly likely to have had issues wherever they matched. So compiling a list of "programs that fire residents" doesn't mean much, because the real answer is "Wherever residents who are likely to get fired match."

Reactions: 5 users
Or whoever PDs are likely to fire a resident.

Terminating a categorical resident is quite easy in fact, most decisions are taken single handily (per contract).

Grievance process carry a lot of institutional biases, once you've been targeted for X or Y, you're done.

There's a lot of "big bad mean programs" talk in this thread. People seem to fail to realize that the vast majority of residents manage to not get terminated. The ones who do, are highly, highly likely to have had issues wherever they matched. So compiling a list of "programs that fire residents" doesn't mean much, because the real answer is "Wherever residents who are likely to get fired match."
I wonder if there's some secret forum someplace where PDs post a list of problem residents who have been fired in the past.

They communicate (e-mail/cell phone); especially when you're trying to find another spot elsewhere.

Or whoever PDs are likely to fire a resident.

Terminating a categorical resident is quite easy in fact, most decisions are taken single handily (per contract).

Grievance process carry a lot of institutional biases, once you've been targeted for X or Y, you're done.

I generally agree that the grievance process is mainly obligatory and hardly the resident wins. Where I was, the resident never won. If anything, it guaranteed an adversarial relationship and no support, not a great letter. I know someone who opted to go through it and she felt she was screwed. I advised her not to pursue that route, and now she regrets it.

Last edited:

Ah sweet sweet Doctor4Life, I wish you would. Maybe I just don't know enough to turn spin the threads you've thrown into gold.

Breaches of HIPAA happen and there's legally proscribed consequences, but those consequences don't have to equal immediate termination without other process. Likely, if the hospital terminated this guy over this they were within their legal rights, but what's legal isn't necessarily what's right or fair, and other HIPAA breaches that were far more damaging or resulted from much worse behavior has been dealt with otherwise. So I'm still going to the side that forgetting to close a star athlete's file and terminating a resident's career isn't a case of punishment fit the crime, but sure, any **** up you do can get you canned in any job.

The vast majority of terminated residents graduated medical school (I know, actually, it's 100%). Should that mean something regarding their termination? Just because most people manage to achieve a good outcome (graduate residency) does not mean that those who had a bad outcome are at fault. Every terminated resident should be an M&M case examining the resident themselves, their medical school that trained them, and the program that couldn't remediate them. A rare poor outcome is not an excuse to shrug our shoulders in medicine, correct? As I understand it, the goal is that everyone that completes a medical degree who can, with remediation, be trained to be a competent attending physician, should be, and if that does not happen, we need to determine why and what can be done about it. I'm sure a lot of resident firings can be attributed to residents being dicks, but I'm not convinced that the tales of lost careers because of surgical residents not having abortions, FMG ethnic/racial discrimination, a resident who needed chemo, a resident who needed 3 months for a medical issue and to come back, and a host of other stories are just unrealistic exaggerated sob stories, or are just examples of a justifiable "hey that's life, you're inconvenient to the system enjoy your debt" kind of tale.

There were a some Nazi concentration camps with low death rates. We could say that the Jews at those camps managed to not get terminated. The ones who died, well, we could wonder what was wrong with them that they didn't cope as well as their compatriots did under horrific conditions. We might say, why should we bother comparing camps or looking at the conditions and who does or does not die? The fact that 98% of residents don't get terminated is not a justification for a system where there are 2% who do. I don't think there's a high turnover at sweat shops either. In fact, probably the more desparate you are the harder you work to keep your job, and probably the people who aren't cutting it at the sweat shop have more problems with limitations that are reasonable under humane conditions and problems coping with unreasonable demands, than they do with work ethic or getting along with others or knowledge base or whatever else you might fault them as why they were cut from or quit their job at the sweatshop. It would be good to review the history of factory workers in the Northeast US at the turn of the century.

I forget the name of this type of philosophical argument you're making.

Some residents would be fired anywhere, and some were only fired because they were in a program that would not/could not accommodate them, even when it was reasonable and justifiable, and could be done elsewhere, which explains why some residents report being unfairly terminated and then going on and doing well elsewhere. You might say they "learned their lesson cleaned up their act" and just found a place better able to "put up" with them.

It's hilarious. No one denies the unforgiving, dismissive, shaming, rigorous nature of medical training, yet there's this split of those saying "Yes, but that's how it should be, it's normal, and those who suffer deserve it" and then this small minority wondering WTF. There's just a denial that this system is insanity and there could be a different way to do things. It's the same conversation I have with the 28 year old alcoholic liver cirrhotic and his wife. Total denial and unable to see the insanity of the family structure they're living in. When he drunkenly backhands their 7 year old for breaking a drinking glass, she rationalizes that the kid had it coming to him.

It's cool, the programs successfully train 98% of residents without termination, and the ends justify the means of the system, surely, so I'll rest easy whenever I see an SDN tale of a terminated resident.

Breaches of HIPAA happen and there's legally proscribed consequences, but those consequences don't have to equal immediate termination without other process. Likely, if the hospital terminated this guy over this they were within their legal rights, but what's legal isn't necessarily what's right or fair, and other HIPAA breaches that were far more damaging or resulted from much worse behavior has been dealt with otherwise. So I'm still going to the side that forgetting to close a star athlete's file and terminating a resident's career isn't a case of punishment fit the crime, but sure, any **** up you do can get you canned in any job.

The vast majority of terminated residents graduated medical school (I know, actually, it's 100%). Should that mean something regarding their termination? Just because most people manage to achieve a good outcome (graduate residency) does not mean that those who had a bad outcome are at fault. Every terminated resident should be an M&M case examining the resident themselves, their medical school that trained them, and the program that couldn't remediate them. A rare poor outcome is not an excuse to shrug our shoulders in medicine, correct? As I understand it, the goal is that everyone that completes a medical degree who can, with remediation, be trained to be a competent attending physician, should be, and if that does not happen, we need to determine why and what can be done about it. I'm sure a lot of resident firings can be attributed to residents being dicks, but I'm not convinced that the tales of lost careers because of surgical residents not having abortions, FMG ethnic/racial discrimination, a resident who needed chemo, a resident who needed 3 months for a medical issue and to come back, and a host of other stories are just unrealistic exaggerated sob stories, or are just examples of a justifiable "hey that's life, you're inconvenient to the system enjoy your debt" kind of tale.

There were a some Nazi concentration camps with low death rates. We could say that the Jews at those camps managed to not get terminated. The ones who died, well, we could wonder what was wrong with them that they didn't cope as well as their compatriots did under horrific conditions. We might say, why should we bother comparing camps or looking at the conditions and who does or does not die? The fact that 98% of residents don't get terminated is not a justification for a system where there are 2% who do. I don't think there's a high turnover at sweat shops either. In fact, probably the more desparate you are the harder you work to keep your job, and probably the people who aren't cutting it at the sweat shop have more problems with limitations that are reasonable under humane conditions and problems coping with unreasonable demands, than they do with work ethic or getting along with others or knowledge base or whatever else you might fault them as why they were cut from or quit their job at the sweatshop. It would be good to review the history of factory workers in the Northeast US at the turn of the century.

I forget the name of this type of philosophical argument you're making.

Some residents would be fired anywhere, and some were only fired because they were in a program that would not/could not accommodate them, even when it was reasonable and justifiable, and could be done elsewhere, which explains why some residents report being unfairly terminated and then going on and doing well elsewhere. You might say they "learned their lesson cleaned up their act" and just found a place better able to "put up" with them.

It's hilarious. No one denies the unforgiving, dismissive, shaming, rigorous nature of medical training, yet there's this split of those saying "Yes, but that's how it should be, it's normal, and those who suffer deserve it" and then this small minority wondering WTF. There's just a denial that this system is insanity and there could be a different way to do things. It's the same conversation I have with the 28 year old alcoholic liver cirrhotic and his wife. Total denial and unable to see the insanity of the family structure they're living in. When he drunkenly backhands their 7 year old for breaking a drinking glass, she rationalizes that the kid had it coming to him.

It's cool, the programs successfully train 98% of residents without termination, and the ends justify the means of the system, surely, so I'll rest easy whenever I see an SDN tale of a terminated resident.
I have yet to work in a hospital that didn't fire you instantly for looking into a famous patient's chart. Whether it was you or someone using your login doesn't matter, its why this point is stressed so much during orientation.

Are you honestly comparing residencies to concentration camps? Strong work.

Something I've noticed over the years of reading about terminated residents - when other posters start to ask questions, it becomes much more obvious why people are fired. In my residency, we fired 1 person every year I was there. Two of them were very very justified (and were the result of months of remediation). The third was fired 2 months into my intern year, so I have no idea what transpired there.

No one is saying that everyone who gets fired deserves it, people are still people and you will have personality conflicts that just can't be resolved. That said, firing a resident is usually a big deal for programs. You have to rearrange call schedules, rotations, and its generally a pain in the butt. You're not going to do that for no reason.

I'm not going to even acknowledge the "examples" you have, as they are so hyperbolic an far afield of the current topic that it's absurd.

I bring up the fact that most residents manage not to get terminated simply to point out that we tend to just get one side of the story on SDN. It's pretty rare that somebody who ends up terminated is going to be able to give a balanced account of the circumstances. Is it possible that some residents get ganged up on and driven out by pure maliciousness? Sure, in the sense that it's possible for some residents to leave because they got struck by lighting. Not impossible, but so uncommon that it's not worth bringing into the discussion. Losing a resident is a big deal for a program. Any program that does so lightly will not last long. It can be hard to think of it that way when you are on the other side, but that doesn't make it any less true.

When I was on the interview trail last year and interviewed at a program that had fired a resident, I always asked current residents privately some version of this: "I know you can't share details, but in your honest opinion, was that situation handled fairly and did the program do the right thing?" The answer every single time? Yes, and hell yes. If someone had gotten royally screwed by a malicious PD, then my guess is that would have come out at some point, especially after some drinks. The universal support of the termination from fellow residents told me all I needed to know about whose fault it was.

I find the notion that programs/schools have some obligation to "remediate" someone completely appalling given the field we're in, especially when we're talking about unprofessional behavior. If we were all teens and relatively immature, then sure, we could spot someone a few lapses. But people in their late 20s/30s with advanced degrees who can't behave appropriately? Sorry, I just don't have much sympathy and I wouldn't expect any if I acted unprofessionally either. I could see remediating someone for academic reasons under certain circumstances, but I don't know if it's possible to remediate someone who is nearly 30 years old and can't behave like a grown up.

When I was on the interview trail last year and interviewed at a program that had fired a resident, I always asked current residents privately some version of this: "I know you can't share details, but in your honest opinion, was that situation handled fairly and did the program do the right thing?" The answer every single time? Yes, and hell yes. If someone had gotten royally screwed by a malicious PD, then my guess is that would have come out at some point, especially after some drinks. The universal support of the termination from fellow residents told me all I needed to know about whose fault it was.

I find the notion that programs/schools have some obligation to "remediate" someone completely appalling given the field we're in, especially when we're talking about unprofessional behavior. If we were all teens and relatively immature, then sure, we could spot someone a few lapses. But people in their late 20s/30s with advanced degrees who can't behave appropriately? Sorry, I just don't have much sympathy and I wouldn't expect any if I acted unprofessionally either. I could see remediating someone for academic reasons under certain circumstances, but I don't know if it's possible to remediate someone who is nearly 30 years old and can't behave like a grown up.
I am disappointed that you don't finish every post with "Operaman, bye BYEEEEEEEEEE"

I'm not going to even acknowledge the "examples" you have, as they are so hyperbolic an far afield of the current topic that it's absurd.

What's funny, and I didn't do it because I didn't want to put the people on SDN who shared their stories too much into the limelight here, was that each example was one that posted here on SDN as a first hand story. Yes, I paraphrased their stories harshly and with the melodrama of a prosecutor in front of a jury, so it is representing one side, doesn't mean that there wasn't a huge dollop of truth. Maybe I will make a point of compiling these stories and those threads in greater detail. Of course those experiences don't match up to specific programs, but that's OK. The point is to get in the open that there is another side, some residents are receiving less than fair treatment, or even if not that as I have said, given the shortage of the physician workforce and the scarcity of resources, it makes sense to try to improve medical and GMEd and do a like an M&M on programs and resident terminations and remediation to be sure we're getting the most bang for our collective buck out of each MD or DO in GME.

I bring up the fact that most residents manage not to get terminated simply to point out that we tend to just get one side of the story on SDN. It's pretty rare that somebody who ends up terminated is going to be able to give a balanced account of the circumstances. Is it possible that some residents get ganged up on and driven out by pure maliciousness? Sure, in the sense that it's possible for some residents to leave because they got struck by lighting. Not impossible, but so uncommon that it's not worth bringing into the discussion. Losing a resident is a big deal for a program. Any program that does so lightly will not last long. It can be hard to think of it that way when you are on the other side, but that doesn't make it any less true.

I don't disagree here prima facie. The resident side of the story isn't the whole story, and doesn't even mean that they should not have been terminated, but I do think it should be considered as a check to the system, essentially, if the resident claims there was no ombudsmen or other neutral party in the system to turn to in this dispute, is that something that should be addressed so we can all be truly convinced both parties were treated fairly in the termination? If the resident claims that they felt they were blindsided by feedback and where their performance was, what can the program demonstrate that SMART feedback was given? (specific, measurable, forgot some letters, timely) Were deficiencies identified and made transparent in a timely fashion to the resident? Blah blah blah.

Let's remember that losing a resident is a big deal for a program, but also, that remediating a resident is too. Again, I should track down the thread, but a program director specifically admitted at times there is a resident who really is believed to be remediatable (a word?), but it might mean an extra 6 months, let's say. The hospital and the program will have to fork that out, and deal with the scheduling hassle, and yeah, it makes life harder. So he said that there are situations where they just let that person go so they can just hire someone else. Fixes a funding and time problem. He said this wasn't as rare as you might think. Now, we can argue whether or not it's justifiable to toss that resident on their ass with $300K in student loan debt and hope that it becomes someone else's problem to remediate. Even with PD support that this resident is "fixable," other programs will likely not want the hassle either, and now there's a chance that the resident that was remediatable in the other environment is now somewhere less able/willing to help (maybe) and the cycle continues. I argue it is not justifiable, because for what the program saves itself in headache, now society is down a doc that may have practiced for 40 years, paid a lot more taxes on their salary, paid back those student loans with interest, (maybe not just dragging it out to forgiveness-land on an IBR on a crap wage from some other job) when all they needed was more support in the program. And that's me making an argument not in favor of the resident individually (not like we really care that much about their personal suffering) but actually appealing to the greater good of what the relationship between program and resident is supposed to be accomplishing for the people footing the bill, society and its taxpayers. I'm not even saying this is the program's fault. We all know GME is busted, there's not enough dollars to train as much as we know we need to train to have the workforce we know we need for public health.

Funny how some people may start at a program, and only then once they are residents, that there may be some other details forthcoming. And what they may think is "fair" is cultural, and you may come to find that their idea of "fair" is pretty skewed. And that their view is skewed, people like to believe that whoever was forced out deserved it, some were rooting for it, and others may not really know what happened merely what they were told happened. There's a thread here recently that a guy from Hopkins was cut, and sued because the program was telling people that he was mentally ill. He won the suit because he was able to prove that was a bull**** lie. Or course whatever case is made for why the resident was terminated is going to sound solid. It's designed that way.

I agree, and have been directly by various power players, that issues of professionalism or character are not the kinds of things that can often be remediated, or even make sense to remediate. Resident grabs some chick's boob in a sexually harassing not legit med exam way? We all know he knew better going in on that one, forget it. No second chances.

Again, I need to find this thread, but it was a program admin or director who said that actually, yes, programs have a FIDUCIARY DUTY (do we remember that? I remember that coming up as a big deal in med school, that unlike occupations/vocations like I don't know, plumbing, professions, like teaching or doctoring or lawyering or policing, are distinguished by the idea of fiduciary duty, something that ethically, morally, and even legally means that you are to act in the best interest of whoever you are dealing with, even if it against your own interests if you can feasibly do so) to the resident and society to do whatever they can (while protecting patients and the viability of the program) to train that resident, and remediation efforts (where appropriate, random boob grabbing no, being annoying to the senior yes) are to be made. Why? The residency program, by being accredited by ACGME, and RECEIVING TAX PAYER DOLLARS, IE MEDICARE GME FUNDING are agreeing to and taking on this duty. The duty is not specifically to the resident, the duty is that Uncle Sam is gifting this money to the program for the purpose of 1) caring for the decrepid (Medicare patients) 2) creating a physician who can be licensed to work as a competent attending.

So remediating residents is not a gift that programs choose to give to themselves or the resident, it is a good faith effort they must make and demonstrate to the society who gave them money in good faith to give them a doc.

Anyhoo, obviously it is up the the program to determine if a resident is remediatable, and if so, what is to be done, and if it worked. There is a lot of power in their hands.

No program wants to fire residents. No program wants to renege on their fiduciary duty. Residents that are terminated clearly had issues that needed to be addressed. The question is, are the working parts functioning appropriately for the best outcome? The best outcome not being program convenience, but patient safety and graduated residents to competent attendings.

Not having a lot of information besides the hearsay you get from frightened residents at an interview dinner, I guess I will settle for at minimum knowing what programs have terminated residents, and since there is no more information than that to make any further conclusions about those terminations, I think I would prefer a program where terminations have not been a recent or ongoing issue.

Programs publish and brag/excuse their board pass rates, as a way of demonstrating why you should trust them to train you, why not publish terminations and resignations (without naming the parties involved?) As far as dirty laundry, board pass rates, fellowship match rates, could easily be "personal matters made public with potential for embarrassment" but they put that out there, because it's required (board pass rates) and to compete for applicants (fellowship pass rates). However, they don't want to to say their success rate in graduating applicants, because they understandably feel that terminations are not their fault and they don't want to be hurt by that. But why is the entire informational system between applicant and program have to be so skewed to the program's favor? The hospital has a lot to lose. So do residents. Only residents have much much less power and information to make informed decisions.

Whatevs. (and to anyone who calls me out for talking like a valley girl, please see big words above)

I have yet to work in a hospital that didn't fire you instantly for looking into a famous patient's chart. Whether it was you or someone using your login doesn't matter, its why this point is stressed so much during orientation.

Good point. The famous patient thing will totally f*ck you. And it makes sense, those are the ones who can sue the **** out of the hospital. Whereas, that time when some resident had their backpack stolen with some VA patient notes, well, the hospital like issued an apology and the resident had to like do extra hours of HIPAA training (a fate only slightly worse than termination), but basically it was because the fallout to the hospital on that was minimal. I've also seen the punishment dished to the HIPAA offender basically evolve with the consequences to the hospital. Oh, patient is pissed about HIPAA. Employee scolded. Oh, now that patient is threatening to sue. Employee put on notice. Oh, suit filed. Employee terminated.

Are you honestly comparing residencies to concentration camps? Strong work.

Thanks, I was pretty proud of that one. Not my most original mind you, but I thought it was funny nonetheless. They never did it on Scrubs probably because it was too offensive. I'll keep up the strong ridicularity up. Gutonc mentioned Burnett's law in another post, which is how I learned about Goodwin's law.

Something I've noticed over the years of reading about terminated residents - when other posters start to ask questions, it becomes much more obvious why people are fired. In my residency, we fired 1 person every year I was there. Two of them were very very justified (and were the result of months of remediation). The third was fired 2 months into my intern year, so I have no idea what transpired there.

No one is saying that everyone who gets fired deserves it, people are still people and you will have personality conflicts that just can't be resolved. That said, firing a resident is usually a big deal for programs. You have to rearrange call schedules, rotations, and its generally a pain in the butt. You're not going to do that for no reason.

I agree. I do truly believe there are a fair number of situations where this happens and if things had just been done a bit better upstream, there might have been a better outcome. And sometimes I think it is out of the program's hands, honestly, because GME has huge cracks in its system.

CONGRESS! LET'S BLAME IT ON CONGRESS! F*ing politicians.

Funny how some people may start at a program, and only then once they are residents, that there may be some other details forthcoming. And what they may think is "fair" is cultural, and you may come to find that their idea of "fair" is pretty skewed. And that their view is skewed, people like to believe that whoever was forced out deserved it, some were rooting for it, and others may not really know what happened merely what they were told happened. There's a thread here recently that a guy from Hopkins was cut, and sued because the program was telling people that he was mentally ill. He won the suit because he was able to prove that was a bull**** lie. Or course whatever case is made for why the resident was terminated is going to sound solid. It's designed that way.

Again, I need to find this thread, but it was a program admin or director who said that actually, yes, programs have a FIDUCIARY DUTY (do we remember that? I remember that coming up as a big deal in med school, that unlike occupations/vocations like I don't know, plumbing, professions, like teaching or doctoring or lawyering or policing, are distinguished by the idea of fiduciary duty, something that ethically, morally, and even legally means that you are to act in the best interest of whoever you are dealing with, even if it against your own interests if you can feasibly do so) to the resident and society to do whatever they can (while protecting patients and the viability of the program) to train that resident, and remediation efforts (where appropriate, random boob grabbing no, being annoying to the senior yes) are to be made. Why? The residency program, by being accredited by ACGME, and RECEIVING TAX PAYER DOLLARS, IE MEDICARE GME FUNDING are agreeing to and taking on this duty. The duty is not specifically to the resident, the duty is that Uncle Sam is gifting this money to the program for the purpose of 1) caring for the decrepid (Medicare patients) 2) creating a physician who can be licensed to work as a competent attending.

So remediating residents is not a gift that programs choose to give to themselves or the resident, it is a good faith effort they must make and demonstrate to the society who gave them money in good faith to give them a doc.

You make a good point and one I hadn't considered, namely that the size of the program may substantially impact the reliability of my interview dinner private Q&A. As I was applying to programs with <5 residents each, I feel very comfortable that everyone knew the situations from personal experience rather than simply parroting the company line that came down from on high. I think your point is well taken for people applying to larger programs where residents may not have the same level of direct personal knowledge of the issues at hand. Perhaps a better way than simply a numbers list would be for ACGME to calculate and publish a list of programs whose level of terminations over the last 5 years are statistically significant. It would be an easy calculation to make with the data set and my sense is that 99% of programs would not make the list, but it might help identify those that have a problem. On the other hand, I think this may already be tracked as part of accreditation.

As for the fiduciary duty, I am curious if any of our resident attorneys could comment as that extends beyond my own legal education which consisted of years of Matlock and Law and Order re-runs.

It would be better context to have a list which lists out the dates when residents have been dismissed rather than just a bland list of programs. As stated previously, programs do have turnover for various reasons. The reasons may or may not matter, but tracking how frequently it occurs with an individual program would be of more value than the reasons.

Let's remember that losing a resident is a big deal for a program, but also, that remediating a resident is too. Again, I should track down the thread, but a program director specifically admitted at times there is a resident who really is believed to be remediatable (a word?), but it might mean an extra 6 months, let's say. The hospital and the program will have to fork that out, and deal with the scheduling hassle, and yeah, it makes life harder.

As a relatively young attending, I have yet to be involved with or hear about a program for which remediation was done as extra time. In my experience, adding time to residency and letting someone graduate "off-cycle" is reserved for people who have been physically absent for various reasons- illness, a family catastrophe, and so on. Meanwhile, remediation is done by adding more oversight/requirements within the time the resident already has to complete. You might change the rotation schedule so the resident is put back on a rotation they struggled with, or on a rotation that carries less responsibility, but I've never heard of time being added to somebody's years of residency. Even if time was added, that would mean an extra body in the call schedule, which would make things easier on the program. Meanwhile losing a resident from the rotation/call schedule (at least in my field) is nothing short of catastrophic. So the argument that remediation is as hard on the program as simply kicking them out does not ring true for me.

It may be that things are different for other specialties that have larger residency classes, which may be where you are getting your impressions.

As a relatively young attending, I have yet to be involved with or hear about a program for which remediation was done as extra time. In my experience, adding time to residency and letting someone graduate "off-cycle" is reserved for people who have been physically absent for various reasons- illness, a family catastrophe, and so on. Meanwhile, remediation is done by adding more oversight/requirements within the time the resident already has to complete. You might change the rotation schedule so the resident is put back on a rotation they struggled with, or on a rotation that carries less responsibility, but I've never heard of time being added to somebody's years of residency. Even if time was added, that would mean an extra body in the call schedule, which would make things easier on the program. Meanwhile losing a resident from the rotation/call schedule (at least in my field) is nothing short of catastrophic. So the argument that remediation is as hard on the program as simply kicking them out does not ring true for me.

It may be that things are different for other specialties that have larger residency classes, which may be where you are getting your impressions.

Let's just say I have it on *very* good authority that extension of training time is in fact one avenue for remediation, if it's appropriate and feasible. There are also numerous posts on here from previously terminated/resigned residents who mention having their training extended (and even serving the extension, meaning it was not just theory but was done) as remediation before getting the final boot.

I also found the verbatim quote I kept from someone who professed to be a bona fide program director confessing the following:

"Additionally, their funding is only good for 3 years. If they are not competent at the end of that time, the cost of any additional training is eaten by the program. Some programs will thus terminate underperforming residents that may eventually become competent physicians with enough time, rather than continue attempts to remediate at a significant cost to their program."

I do not want to overrepresent this quote. I googled it and did not find its match. I think I picked it up from a Dr. Pamela Wible physician suicide article (or other resident sweatshop related article) on medscape from the comments section which was like 200+ long and wouldn't come up on google because you have to be logged in with an account to see those. Otherwise the only other source that would come to mind would be SDN, but I would have expected it to come up. I'm fairly certain this is referring to an IM program with the 3 year preference and what I remember of what I read.

You do not have to believe me or the quote, but if you believe me, what I can tell you is that I copied and saved this quote to my hard drive verbatim when I came across it because it purportedly was a direct posting from a PD, and let's just say there are people I know who felt their experience to be very vindicated seeing this quote, which is why I preserved it.

So, when I combine what I know for a fact is true, which is that residency extension can be done for remediation and *not* only for otherwise legitimate absences, I certainly find it believable with the facts of funding etc. that some residents are terminated for just being too slow in progress. So if they go to another program and start over and are successful, that right there is giving them more training time and may support that people just weren't happy with pace of their work and got them gone and after getting more training time now they are fine.

We don't want to believe that *sometimes* (maybe more than we might want to think even) residencies just cut and destroy slow residents who could be great docs given a little more training time because our training system is that rigid. I have talked with PDs and I know they don't want to cut a slow resident that just needs more time, but I know that they do sometimes. The system isn't well designed for that. I didn't save the post, but in this same discussion someone who trained in India said that there, once someone graduates medical school and enters training, they are able to continue in that training as long as they are considered remediatable (for the purposes of this argument, that they just need more time).

It shouldn't be that hard to believe. MD grads come out very unevenly, and I would love to find these Perrotfish posts about how different residencies can have vastly different workloads waiting for the intern day 1 (1 senior 1 intern 10 patients vs 1 senior 1 junior 2 interns +/- med student 20 pts, big difference, more like 5-7 for intern at first, a less hellish step from 3-4 they had as med students), and if the two wrong extremes meet, then you have an intern that's drowning and it was a systems issue. Then you can now add the label of problem resident, constant criticism over your shoulder, and see how that helps. And it's not a lie here that programs will say "remediate" and even draw up a PIP with VERY specific terms, not only for the resident, but themselves. And then they don't follow through because no one has time. But they set up the paperwork to show they tried and now they can make a case to terminate.

If training time alone was not a huge factor in training and determinant of level of competence of graduates than programs would not be so obsessed with cramming as many work hours in a day in a week into as short a time as possible and saying that was why. Unless it really is a ponzi scheme to milk residents for hours. I will legitimately buy into that all those hours, and then some, are needed. I get it, I'm all for training residents as fast as possible, and that there's value in this sort of immersive exposure approach to training. But if we're making the argument that we're hardly getting the training hours we need as it is for all the residents we're putting out there as attendings, the 98% who graduate in this time frame, then is it crazy to think that there could be a solid proportion of the 2% that represent an upper end of a bell curve of hours needed to train to be competent? They were just slow and otherwise unliked residents that needed some more time to get it together?

The only way to chalk it up to system and not just fault of resident is to give them more training time or other remediation and see what happens. This does happen.

So in line with the comment I had ripped verbatim, and now wish I had taken time to copy as well, was that an attending from India said that this system was ridiculous, because in India anyone who sucessfully gets their MD, qualifies for post grad training, is able to stay and train as long as they are remediatable, ie is safe with supervision and making progress and otherwise not a *******. Usually that is 3 years but could be up to 5. But in their system they do not have the same malpractice and other administrative costs, and even an IM resident stuck at the PGY2 level for let's say 2 years is still considered a value added to the system, and funding and slots not limited the same way as here (of course, one can argue that sure maybe $ isn't the issue, but is there enough quality slots, ie have good enough clinical cases/exposure in the slot?). In any case, they feel that someone who was successful in getting an MD and the only real issue is needing another year or two in the hospital under supervision, is well worth the investment than just throwing that MD's potential to be a doc away. You're saving one or two years in training and potentially losing 40 years of good practice.

We are one of the only countries that would create a situation where a resident must progress through each PGY at the same pace or else is just not fit to continue to train, and giant Scarlett letters are handed out for it. I forgot to mention, in deference to the programs, given the short number of years, and funding involved, and how things trickle down, they often don't have the resources to hold out very long to give much time to a struggling resident to see where they end up. They save time and money to cut them early on after a short remediation period and start over, rather than potentially wasting more time money resources staffing coverage on someone that doesn't improve with time, or improve at the rate needed, and have that trickle through the rest of the training time. This is some basic economics I'm describing at this point.

I've read also about what other countries do towards remediation.

We like to think we have the best system for training MDs, and maybe it is the most ruthlessly efficient, but I think there's some wheat being tossed with the chaff.

Food for thought.

I know there's some dangerous a*holes getting tossed, people in the wrong specialty, people not well suited, idiots. But I also think there are some diamonds in the rough, and I think those people deserve to at least be recognized rather than this denial of the idea that there exists enough dysfunction in the system to create such a scenario.

Better that 10 guilty men go free than 1 innocent man be damned. I'm not saying let's keep bad residents around, but if you are the one good in the ten, numbers alone don't minimize the tragedy of individual injustice and suffering (if we think residents who just need more time and don't get it and don't get to practice is an injustice, to them, to society.)

In the case of medicine, better to let 10 good residents go than keep 1 bad would be more like it. Dangerous people kill people. Fine.

I still think there's some very unlucky residents out there, and the rarity doesn't make it any less sucky or worthy of treatment. Call me a champion of orphan diseases.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
the case of medicine, better to let 10 good residents go than keep 1 bad would be more like it. Dangerous people kill people. Fine.

My argument is that rather than the scenario you describe above, it's more like letting 1 good resident go in the process of getting rid of 100 bad residents. I think the ratio of "good" to "bad" among terminated residents is much closer to my estimate than your very idealistic one.

I would also argue that your definition of a "good" resident is inherently flawed. In my mind, of someone would be better if only they were given extra time to stop sucking, they by definition are not good. It's like lamenting that a football team cuts a rookie who'd be a star player if only they were bigger, stronger, or if the mean coach would just give him more time to develop his lesser talent. That's not how it works. It certainly sucks when somebody gets so far along only to realize they aren't cut out for what they are doing. The system isn't perfect. It's a bummer, but I don't think there's any room for some sweeping change to be made.

I'm not sure why we're insisting that 99% of resident dismissals were somehow unavoidable, and there was what, 1% of the dismissed that could be remediated, but wasn't, doesn't deserve to be, and wasn't feasible?

I wouldn't define good as "needs time to stop sucking", and I don't know that needing more time in training is equivalent to sucking. Who says the resident sucks to begin with? Because they are at the end of the bell curve of needing more training hours or actual remediation? I have a very good idea of what actually goes into resident remediation. As an example, read the "I feel like a hypocrite, but I feel like I am ready to quit intern year." Even if there's a whole lotta story we're NOT hearing, regardless, what we ARE hearing if we are to at least believe comments reported to be directed at the resident, is enough to say that what is taking place in her training is inappropriate. Period. "Sucky" or "slow" or "dumb" resident or not, what is the program's excuse for that kind of training environment? There's some of the same on other threads. You get a pretty good idea of how deficiencies are being addressed. Someone posted a really nice paper that was more directed at remediating med students, but it could easily apply to residents and I don't see why it couldn't. It isn't, because all these speedy docs aren't taking the time.

Some learners have a gap from med school, are in less than ideal programs (let's not deny teaching quality and conditions vary greatly), and maybe some need more time to read, others need more time on the job, there could be a lot of things. It takes 4 years to train a psychiatrist in this country, and 3 to train an internist. So what would that say about a particular internist who needed to do it in 4? (Some people think given the knowledge base required in IM it actually doesn't make sense that it's a shorter training time than psych, but admit I'm not one to say how it should take a shorter time to train a psych, just odd on its face to me, and I'm the dick who would suggest a no child left behind pace of med training, I would be willing to lengthen the torture of training if it improved patient and resident outcomes. If psychiatrists train 4 years, FM is moving to 4 years, EM is moving to 4 years, why not IM?). I also don't know that "efficiency" or speed should be the most highly prized attribute of a physician. In fact, patient satisfaction and outcome studies would suggest it is almost antithetical to good care. The average office visit is 8 min physician face to face with patient time, most of that the doc typing in the room? Please. That is only good for whoever profits monetarily from that, and that ain't the physician (salaries dwindling in relation to inflation although seeing more patients) and that ain't the patient. Studies show in that sort of scenario physicians are relying more on unneccessary testing, causing more harms, more costs, when spending more time with history, PE, chart review, and reflection, can avoid a lot of that. We are spending more on healthcare, less time with patients, and health outcomes are worse than before. Yeah it's multifactorial. (I'm still going to suggest that at the core of the problem and solution is the how much time physicians spend with patients.) And that's exactly the practice we're training residents to have, and it's exactly the kind of care they are getting in their training.

Again, just because people function in the current dysfunctional system does not mean that people that do not are inherently "sucky" doctors.
A lot of docs trained in the UK 50-60 hour work weeks over more years have no idea how we work the kind of hours we do and cram it all in. They take more time to train, and if they did not do as well in this training system, then are we going to say they are lesser physicians? Can you be the same quality of physician if you work slower? Depends on how you are measuring and defining quality.

I've seen too many people I know were washed out for reasons that had very little to do with safety, trainability, or unprofessionalism. What I see are a lot of people having little power, psychological abuse heaped on them not actual constructive or concrete assistance, a lot of singling out the weak one in the pack and fear. And ultimately it's just a matter of inconvenience of time and money to a program. I agree with Law2Doc in a post in the "I feel like a hypocrite but I feel like I want to quit" thread (never thought I'd type that) that a lot of "bad" interns or residents are clueless or have lack of insight. But is this despite adequate remediation from the program or for lack of it? I argue the latter.

Nothing that I have described in my posts really matching your analogy of residents as football players. Malcolm Gladwell is a very good writer on the topic of different kinds of talent, how they are recognized, recruited, developed, etc. and how do we predict who will be successful in a given career. In general, he concludes, that you can split it up between people who are great out of the gate and late bloomers. And we obsess over making these decisions as early as possible thinking that will provide some sort of economic advantage, and using speed of training as a gauge for aptitude, but he makes a great case that actually that leads to a poor capitalization of human resources in the long run. He actually applies this analysis to the training of doctors. He also writes about what makes a good quarterback. I recommend his book "What the Dog Saw" as well as an interview with Dr. Topol of medscape he did recently.

Whatever it's pointless. It's a classic conservative vs revolutionary argument.

People are on the side of the "Establishment," or they are open to the idea that yes, the system could use a massive overhaul, of which the small, but real number of wasted MD clinical talent potential, would benefit alongside basically every other player in the system, taxpayer, patient, whatever. GME is jacked.

People like the fairy tale that only the guilty are punished. Somehow despite what we see in happen in medicine people are able to continue to believe that is just :whistle:

Reactions: 2 users
I have seen a few different environments.

I have seen an environment where an intern struggles, they don't remediate but rather they provide more time (not in training) but in actual focus (not in a negative way via remediations) by providing real advice and suggestions, one on one support system, etc. The guy ended up landing a good cardiology fellowship. I wouldn't say he was any more "smart" than the average resident.

I've also seen an environment where average or smart residents are picked apart based on their perceived weakness (academic, patient care, socially - confidence/shyness,/personality conflicts etc) and they beat them down with weekly meetings until they decide to let them go or prolong their residency, etc. Often times, these meetings don't do much in terms of providing positive feedback that may actually help a resident.

I'm sure there's plenty of programs in middle of such extremes. I do wonder if at times there were more of the former types of programs out there that it would improve resident morale within their program and reduce the number of folks who transfer out or get terminated. That's just a hypothesis and I don't know what is the right answer. I just 2-3 scenarios that I've seen or been a part of.

I have seen a few different environments.

I have seen an environment where an intern struggles, they don't remediate but rather they provide more time (not in training) but in actual focus (not in a negative way via remediations) by providing real advice and suggestions, one on one support system, etc. The guy ended up landing a good cardiology fellowship. I wouldn't say he was any more "smart" than the average resident.

I've also seen an environment where average or smart residents are picked apart based on their perceived weakness (academic, patient care, socially - confidence/shyness,/personality conflicts etc) and they beat them down with weekly meetings until they decide to let them go or prolong their residency, etc. Often times, these meetings don't do much in terms of providing positive feedback that may actually help a resident.

I'm sure there's plenty of programs in middle of such extremes. I do wonder if at times there were more of the former types of programs out there that it would improve resident morale within their program and reduce the number of folks who transfer out or get terminated. That's just a hypothesis and I don't know what is the right answer. I just 2-3 scenarios that I've seen or been a part of.

"Goodbye."
As a metaphor, I literally laughed out loud.

(I just see this sequence set to Chamillionaire in my mind, it's pretty good.)

I've seen combinations of these programs strategies as well.
For as much **** as gets talked about interns,
A senior that is a good teacher is worth his weight in gold, most valuable resident there is,
because the intern is only as good as their senior.

The only thing worse than your second scenario could be the second scenario with no weekly meetings.

http://holysmokesbatman.com/tracks/holy-unrefillable-prescriptions.html

I wonder if there's some secret forum someplace where PDs post a list of problem residents who have been fired in the past.

Nope. Do you know what PDs usually do with a problem resident?

Write him/her a glowing letter of recommendation to facilitate his/her transfer. (Heard a few stories about seriously problematic residents being shuffled from program to program.)

Firing residents is a huge PITA for a program director. They really only do it when there is no better option. There are easier ways for a PD to sabotage a residents' career than firing the resident.

And that case of someone at UF getting fired for someone using his workstation to look up a flagged computer record - that will get you fired at any hospital that monitors these things. Even attendings have been fired for stuff like that.

Eh, I'm not sure many PDs are out there to write glowing letters to facilitate a transfer unless the reasons allowed for it. Perhaps aPD knows better though.

Eh, I'm not sure many PDs are out there to write glowing letters to facilitate a transfer unless the reasons allowed for it. Perhaps aPD knows better though.

It came to my attention via an attorney that specializes in employee rights and regularly negotiates letters of recommendation from employers as terms of resignation that actually, in general employers must be careful that their letters of rec appear to be accurate and in good faith, ie well worded so as to be defensible in court. Another employer that uses the letter as a basis for hiring can sue the old employer if they can prove that the letter was horsehit and the old employer knew it, and as a result the new employer suffered damages. As you might guess, medicine is a high risk field from a legal liability standpoint, so this could come up, like if a patient sued the new hospital over the resident's conduct, oddly enough the old hospital could also be named as well by the patient by alleging and finding evidence that the resident in question should have been reperesented differently.

So maybe this happens that there are overly glowing letters, but the PD should be aware. I'm guessing they are, not only for the reason above (funnily enough a lot of hospital admin don't know enough about law as it pertains to their hospital, leading to legal snafus in terminating employees, like if they don't follow termination due process, that's one of the few things if you catch and prove may not salvage your job but ACGME will crack down on)

If for no other reason PDs are careful with not selling lemon residents too highly because what goes around comes around. Why do you think the PD says they will help you, only after the new programs call they lose interest? PDs often know one another and have a sort of honor code not to f*ck one another's program. Why do you think with a transfer the new program will not steal you from the old without some sort of official OK? (If you are terminated or resigned as opposed to transferring the new program and you owe nothing to the old program as all legal ties are severed except for cooperating on malpractice claims should they come up in the future- although of course this does not stop the new program calling the old to see what's up for their own interest, hence it can be good to have a lawyer handle a termination or resignation for a confidentiality agreement) because poaching residents from one another is highly frowned on amongst PDs, especially in the same field. They see each at conferences for Pete's sake and some are friends on a first name basis. How else do you think when you want to transfer and the PD helps that they have contacts?

Speaking of program reputation, not only does it hurt a program's reputation to sell lemon residents, but also if they do whatever to get you gone and go to another program and do well. This is less of an issue if you transfer fields (assumption: just wasn't cut out for field) but within the specialty being problem resident at one program and doing fine at the next can raise questions and make the old program look bad. Someone else pointed that out on one of these threads. So sometimes they want you to fail or not go elsewhere.

I imagine it would be desperate ploy to transfer a problem resident by over-writing the letter because they couldnt justify/pull off eliminating the resident some other way.

I won't argue that what you're saying isn't true based on your experience, but for everything above I don't think this is common, and if you are looking to transfer need to handle your PD with kid gloves and a secret lawyer whispering in your ear.

There is not anything else you can do to make things go your way if you and the PD are at odds about what to do with or how to represent you.

There is always some personal resentment even if they handle your transfer professionally because anything less than good performance not being a pain is the ass and finishing the residency from you is a pain in their ass.

Nope. Do you know what PDs usually do with a problem resident?

Write him/her a glowing letter of recommendation to facilitate his/her transfer. (Heard a few stories about seriously problematic residents being shuffled from program to program.)

Firing residents is a huge PITA for a program director. They really only do it when there is no better option. There are easier ways for a PD to sabotage a residents' career than firing the resident.

And that case of someone at UF getting fired for someone using his workstation to look up a flagged computer record - that will get you fired at any hospital that monitors these things. Even attendings have been fired for stuff like that.

Good point on the HIPAA thing, I liked to think they were more forgiving than thay if there was no harm no foul, but I guess that's how it goes.

I answered above about this glowing letter thing. I don't know why this would happen, because as you said, the program can easily sabotage your career, and firing you is *only* a pain in their ass if you fight it legally. The only other pain is losing a resident and having a hole in coverage and hiring a new one, but that is a pain independent of how you leave, by termination, resignation, transfer. I would argue as I did above transfer is more difficult because you need the help of another PD and have some incentive not to fick them with a lemon.

It's *very* easy to put you on official probation. It's very easy to collect negative comments.

How perfect are your notes? Cause they can look there if no where else for *any* inaccuracies and get you there. No one looks good under the microscope, especially residents because you do make more mistakes than attendings. Some mistakes are beyond the pale, but the kind of mistakes that are considered normal for level of training and would/can be overlooked as part of the normal learning process for residents in a colleague they otherwise value and want to keep (some level of error must be tolerated or you would have no residents) can be used on any resident at any time if they are otherwise inclined. You could try to argue that in court, but believe me, they can compile enough dirt in addition that it's immaterial.

Pissed any nurses off lately? (even if what you said was NO the patient with GI bleed and AKI and surgery tomorrow should not get ibuprofen for their headache? Tylenol and ice pack not helping? Turns out being in the hospital does not mean your every ache and pain will be addressed. Do they get dilaudid for HA at home? No. So why here? May have to live with it! Some occasional mild HAs are part of life). You know those snippy little notes the nurses put in? "MD called. Still no assessment." Now you're painted as not being responsive to nursing concerns. It will not matter if the nurse complaints should matter.

If the program called in attendings and asked for dirt, do you think they could come up with anything? I'm guessing yes.

Any patients ever bitch about you? Like the IVDU you wouldn't give more dilaudid to when they were there for pneumonia? I'm not convinced pneumonia generally needs dilaudid. Well, they could file a complaint and if the PD likes you obviously that goes nowhere. But if they want you gone the particulars of the case are conveniently ignored. "Patient raised concern that resident was not sensitive to or provided adequate pain control."

Trying to defend from these things by showing that they are painting you with horse**** makes it worse. "Resident defensive, does not take responsibility for mistakes, not a team player, lacks insight" when you try to explain that the IVDU guy was just pissed he didn't get vitamin D for dilaudid, and the nurse was pissed you didn't give an order to make her not the patient's life easier.

Do your reported duty hours if compared with time stamps on notes and orders always match or have you now been caught in a lie? (No matter if everyone does this)

I could go on but I picked these because it likely could apply to anyone. There's more to this process, and residents may well have a string of issues that they deserve.to be raked over coals for or fired for, I'm not arguing that it's all BS ousting residents, sure plenty of them may be getting what's coming to them.

I'm just making people aware of the sort of stuff to think about, and examples what.dotting i's and.crossing t's can mean in real language, and how easy the sabotage is. Getting rid of a resident isn't intrinsically hard or a pain in the ass from a procedural standpoint, it's something the program is loathe to do because it's the consequences of being a resident down that sucks. So they do a pro/con of keeping you vs the hole or rehiring. Dangerous or slow or likely to get sued or just it's too annoying and.painful to deal with residents arent worth the trouble of keeping, hence move to an open hole.

There's more things than this that could be used. Often ITEs are said not to be used for decisions (depends on field and year of training), the way around this is to say you have a deficient knowledge base based on some other mistake, and then the ITE is then only used to support that notion, and that's fair game. (If you did well on ITE then this will not apply, although they can still come up with examples of your idiocy).

So the basic things that challenge all residents, or things outside your control like idiotic patient/nurse complaints, etc can oust you if they so feel like it. Official probation has to be reported to the state medical board. So now they're involved and now it's about more than your residency slot, now it's your license.

Now they can say they're moving towards termination and will compile everything above to justify it to preemptively hurt any wrongful termination suit you might have and send to the state licensing board and to twist your arm as instead you can resign and avoid that, while they avoid you potentially suing. Hmm, decisions decisions.

How much work is all that? Half of building that file can be handled by someone lower than the PD.

The only reason they would want you gone and choose transferring over the above is going to be based on if you have dirt on the program and sue, or even if you have a poor case if hospital's risk managment legal team thinks it will **** the hospital too hard on money or aired dirty laundry if you fight.

There has to be missing piece to this puzzle of the programs writing great letters to shuffle someone around and not just can them. And I would bet you money it's up to attorneys and hospital dollar signs in those cases. Especially if these hand offs are going down more than once.

Last edited:
Ha, in any case, whether it will get you a glowing letter or not, this is why keeping track of the hospital's fick ups as far as the due process of termination and appeal, one party recording if state allows, documenting inappropriate workplace behavior of the program can help you counteract sabotage of your career.

One person mentioned not signing documents the admin puts before you re: their reasons why you suck and what they've done to help you without even secret recommendation of a lawyer or unless you'd be willing in a court of law (not that you'd end up there necessarily) to say "yep, that's me, 100% accurate!)

Hopkins surgery resident fired 2016 apparently- this is after the guy who won a lawsuit- anyone know the details?

My argument is that rather than the scenario you describe above, it's more like letting 1 good resident go in the process of getting rid of 100 bad residents. I think the ratio of "good" to "bad" among terminated residents is much closer to my estimate than your very idealistic one.

I would also argue that your definition of a "good" resident is inherently flawed. In my mind, of someone would be better if only they were given extra time to stop sucking, they by definition are not good. It's like lamenting that a football team cuts a rookie who'd be a star player if only they were bigger, stronger, or if the mean coach would just give him more time to develop his lesser talent. That's not how it works. It certainly sucks when somebody gets so far along only to realize they aren't cut out for what they are doing. The system isn't perfect. It's a bummer, but I don't think there's any room for some sweeping change to be made.

Is this sacrifice one for the good of many attitude appropriate in a profession that not only dedicates its self to healing and helping but actually has an ethical standard in place that is objectively tested over and over? Whats more appalling is I can see your an attending who is tasked with the responsibility of ensuring that one sacrifice does not happen. To be so cavalier with a persons career that they have undoubtedly spent the vast majority of their life training for is sickening. After training 10+ years tirelessly, sacrificing the vast majority of their youth and have it taken from them for any reason other than gross inarguable and undeniable inability to perform is heinous. I question how you sleep at night knowing this happens let alone condone it in while in a position to advocate against it.

Last edited:
Is this sacrifice one for the good of many attitude appropriate in a profession that not only dedicates its self to healing and helping but actually has an ethical standard in place that is objectively tested over and over? Whats more appalling is I can see your an attending who is tasked with the responsibility of ensuring that one sacrifice does not happen. To be so cavalier with a persons career that they have undoubtedly spent the vast majority of their life training for is sickening. After training 10+ years tirelessly, sacrificing the vast majority of their youth and have it taken from them for any reason other than gross inarguable and undeniable inability to perform is heinous. I question how you sleep at night knowing this happens let alone condone it in while in a position to advocate against it.
Neurotic necrobump made only more interesting by the fact that you yourself have not posted in nearly 5 years. Seriously, this is the foie gras of posts.

From my observations no one gets reinstated, and no one gets into another program without a PD recommendation.

From my observations no one gets reinstated, and no one gets into another program without a PD recommendation.

Proof of this - ask Eugene Gu how successful he will be at finding another program. His PD won’t be saying anything even remotely positive.

Proof of this - ask Eugene Gu how successful he will be at finding another program. His PD won’t be saying anything even remotely positive.

he has a decent chance to slip into a pgy4 in a program that needs one for whatever reason or perhaps into a pgy3 if that be the case and do an extra year. after all he has what looks like quite decent stats except for making political waves. he would need to limit his activities to just being a resident and not an activist. it is surprising that someone like him that learned the game-system so well risked losing it being a sjw.

i did residency way before the internet and hours limitations and we had our hands full already sort of glad there was no internet.

other programs know that subcompetent residents dont complete 3/5 years or shouldnt anyway.

i recall the pyramid system in gen surgery. few pgy4 positions but many pgy3's and they typically were all competent yet a high % had to get the axe. some found pgy4's or did gas or rads etc etc

potential accepting programs will contact supervising attendings to get the feel of what actually happened and not necessarily just the pd or may bypass the pd. i suspect a new program would make him promise to stay out of politics and stick to just being a resident.

Last edited:
he has a decent chance to slip into a pgy4 in a program that needs one for whatever reason or perhaps into a pgy3 if that be the case and do an extra year. after all he has what looks like quite decent stats except for making political waves. he would need to limit his activities to just being a resident and not an activist. it is surprising that someone like him that learned the game-system so well risked losing it being a sjw.

i did residency way before the internet and hours limitations and we had our hands full already sort of glad there was no internet.

other programs know that subcompetent residents dont complete 3/5 years or shouldnt anyway.

i recall the pyramid system in gen surgery. few pgy4 positions but many pgy3's and they typically were all competent yet a high % had to get the axe. some found pgy4's or did gas or rads etc etc

potential accepting programs will contact supervising attendings to get the feel of what actually happened and not necessarily just the pd or may bypass the pd. i suspect a new program would make him promise to stay out of politics and stick to just being a resident.
Eugene? Is that you?

Or is it your dad?

Reactions: 6 users

Don’t fall for Eugene’s spin. His firing had nothing to do with activism and everything to do with bad performance and ridiculous reactionism. You can’t cry racism/bullying/violence at every rebuke in residency and then sick your Twitter mob on an institution mostly with false information.

He is an activist, not a physician or a surgeon by any stretch. He’ll never get another program, and you shouldn’t want him to - is he who you want to represent the physician community for the public?

Reactions: 6 users