List of Programs That Terminate Residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here's a Eugene Gu question; Assuming Vanderbilt was correct and well founded in the non renewal Gu calls getting fired, what about his medical license? I assume he has a state license that gives him the right to practice albeit without any board eligibility or admitting rights ability. On his own he could do GP like stuff. Anyone know if his license is affected?

As a US graduate having completed 3 years of residency, Eugene Gu is technically eligible for a license in every state except South Dakota (which requires full completion of a residency, no matter the field). During the course of application, he'd probably have to disclose that he was nonrenewed and write out an explanation, may have to meet with the board, etc - but most of the time the boards are fairly flexible and would still issue a license - though there may be some kind of monitoring request. As long as there's no serious substance abuse allegations (and that's one problem that Gu has not been accused of), he'd probably be able to get licensed in most if not all of those states (again, with SD being an exception).

As a licensed physician he could then work as a "GP" (but would have trouble getting any insurance company to pay him for anything), doing insurance physicals, working for a prison (if the local one had standards that low), etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
As a US graduate having completed 3 years of residency, Eugene Gu is technically eligible for a license in every state except South Dakota (which requires full completion of a residency, no matter the field). During the course of application, he'd probably have to disclose that he was nonrenewed and write out an explanation, may have to meet with the board, etc - but most of the time the boards are fairly flexible and would still issue a license - though there may be some kind of monitoring request. As long as there's no serious substance abuse allegations (and that's one problem that Gu has not been accused of), he'd probably be able to get licensed in most if not all of those states (again, with SD being an exception).

As a licensed physician he could then work as a "GP" (but would have trouble getting any insurance company to pay him for anything), doing insurance physicals, working for a prison (if the local one had standards that low), etc.
Might be able to get a house officer position in surgery if they still have those.

Here's a Eugene Gu question; Assuming Vanderbilt was correct and well founded in the non renewal Gu calls getting fired, what about his medical license? I assume he has a state license that gives him the right to practice albeit without any board eligibility or admitting rights ability. On his own he could do GP like stuff. Anyone know if his license is affected?

He may or may not have an unrestricted license at this point--I know surgery works differently than many specialties, but in peds, I wasn't required to have a full license before I graduated (except that I needed it for my job that started immediately after residency, so I applied for it about 6 months prior to graduation to start the credentialling stuffs). Training licenses are given out pretty freely, and that may be all that he had, which makes obtaining a full license a bit more tricky as alluded to above, but not impossible.

The hard thing to do is get credentialling through insurance companies so you actually get paid for your work. Many of them want board eligibility or board certification. Which he wouldn't have.

Reactions: 1 user
He may or may not have an unrestricted license at this point--I know surgery works differently than many specialties, but in peds, I wasn't required to have a full license before I graduated (except that I needed it for my job that started immediately after residency, so I applied for it about 6 months prior to graduation to start the credentialling stuffs). Training licenses are given out pretty freely, and that may be all that he had, which makes obtaining a full license a bit more tricky as alluded to above, but not impossible.

The hard thing to do is get credentialling through insurance companies so you actually get paid for your work. Many of them want board eligibility or board certification. Which he wouldn't have.
It's state dependent. In CA for example, all US grads in residency must get an unrestricted license to start PGY3. In NY, there's no requirement, no matter what year you are - I know a PGY6 surgery resident that mentioned to me at one point he hadn't bothered. Not like he has time to moonlight.

It's state dependent. In CA for example, all US grads in residency must get an unrestricted license to start PGY3. In NY, there's no requirement, no matter what year you are - I know a PGY6 surgery resident that mentioned to me at one point he hadn't bothered. Not like he has time to moonlight.

I didn't have a permanent license until I was a PGY-9...

Reactions: 2 users
AMGs in most states can apply for an unrestricted license after successfully completing one year of internship... I don't really know what that means specifically, although it definitely means your training program is playing ball with you at some point and will say as much

AMGs in most states can apply for an unrestricted license after successfully completing one year of internship... I don't really know what that means specifically, although it definitely means your training program is playing ball with you at some point and will say as much
One more time in English?

I believe what she is trying to say is that in 30+ states, a US Medical Grad can get a full license as long as their program verifies that they completed at least one year of residency. She goes on to say that that verification may require you to at least be on good terms with the program so that they play ball.

It's not quite so clear cut - I think the program will submit the form regardless. You only have to worry about what they put on it - such as the statement you were later nonrenewed. We know for sure Gu got credit for his first and second year (and possibly his third), so he wouldn't have any trouble getting verification from his program - the board might just have some problems with the fact he was nonrenewed. Likely not big enough problems to lead to a lack of license though.

Eugene does not have a VA license. Physician licenses are searchable online, I don't see anyone with that name. There's no national search that I know of, you need to search each state. The AMA "doctor finder" lets you search nationally, but you have to do it one state at a time.

"To play ball with" is an idiom that means "to agree to help in the way requested." Idioms are by definition, considered common in English, this particular one did not originate with Shakespeare or anything, I don't believe it's terribly obscure. My apologies if the context did not make the meaning clear. :)

play ball Definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary

I won't belabor the details and caveats, but common wisdom is that if you graduated from an American medical school, and complete one year of residency training, that makes one eligible for a license in most states.

I do not know the exact specifics of what sort of years and such will "count" for this training. As I understand it, it can vary. As always, checking with a specific state medical board directly is the best bet for reliable information on obtaining a license. :)

The part about your program "playing ball" with you and saying so, I mean to say that beyond the year being otherwise a "qualifying year," that it's more than a matter of just completing that year, getting a piece of paper, and riding off into the sunset (another idiom).

I do know the program has to be willing to certify that you completed the year successfully to a 3rd party, that is what I mean by "playing ball with you and saying as much." Playing ball beyond just training you, is to certify your performance, and otherwise engaging help you beyond the participating in the program itself.

If the program wants to stand in the way of your licensing, despite you being promoted past your first year, I know there are steps they can take to at least try to do so. I know the attempts are made, I do not know how often they happen, how often the program succeeds, the recourse the resident has. I am merely stating that residency programs can attempt to "not play ball" in that they can attempt not to cooperate with certifying that year, or other assistance they may be called upon for by the applying physician.

I have read on SDN (I'm not going to pull it up) tales of medical degrees and residency rotations/years that seemingly were given in good standing, later be challenged in some way by the grantor, ie the medical school or residency program. I do not know the circumstances or outcomes where they has occurred.

It is my understanding that it is not enough to complete the year, or even to believe you have done so to a program's satisfaction just because they have promoted you. Perhaps later they would say there was fraud or their appraisal of that year was in error for various reasons, I don't know.

In an example, I do not know that someone ending up as, say, a PGY3 surgical resident, would for sure be able to pursue a license. It might not only be a question of requirements, but to what extent their program would "be willing to play ball" or help, to what extent the program's blessing is needed and will be granted.

I hope this makes clear my point. :)

I'm well aware of what "play ball" means. But your post was nonsensical and the "explanation" even less so. Fortunately, @Raryn clarified it.
I think you just enjoy opportunities to put people down. I think it's clear enough to say that a program has to play ball with the resident and then be willing to say so to be licensed.

I think you just enjoy opportunities to put people down. I think it's clear enough to say that a program has to play ball with the resident and then be willing to say so to be licensed.

Not to belabor the point, but the way you phrased your thoughts was weird and took a few readings to figure out what you were trying to say.

For instance, you say "I don't really know what that means," followed by "it definitely means..." in the same sentence. And the last part of the sentence has a bunch of modifiers that make the thought seem scrambled.

Reactions: 8 users
Eugene was a Vanderbilt resident. He is eligible for a full license in TN (among most other states as others have noted). However he does not have a TN license. As others have noted, most states have online searchable databases.

Not to belabor the point, but the way you phrased your thoughts was weird and took a few readings to figure out what you were trying to say.

For instance, you say "I don't really know what that means," followed by "it definitely means..." in the same sentence. And the last part of the sentence has a bunch of modifiers that make the thought seem scrambled.

Like, I get that, and I tried to explain. At this point, I've had people read both of my posts, and while the first one was unclear, the second one, while lengthy, was not.

I explained the part I didn't know about licensing (what medical boards count as a satisfactory year of training to meet the requirement for licensing), and that what I did know, was that residency programs must be willing to support your application somewhere along the way. The latter might seem obvious, and on its face it is, except that what might not be obvious, is what a program can do to stand in the way of the way of licensing if they are not supportive of that.

So my ultimate point being that just because Eugene has spent more than one year in training, I do not know if his year counts. Even if it does, I do not know what the program might do to block him, successfully or not. He has opened himself up to this by upsetting his program prior to completion and prior to obtaining a full license. This is my answer to the question earlier about his ability to get a license. Technically meeting requirements (like completing a year) may not be enough.

Why does any of this matter? What am I trying to contribute to the forum besides put downs?

--Most do not expect career problems until they happen. That is what I learned from SDN and real life.
--Do not assume that a year of residency training will definitely count towards licensing requirements. There are caveats to that.
--If you have a year of residency training, but no full license already, or a certificate from your program or proof of satisfactory completion that would be acceptable to a medical board for licensing, then I would still be aware that barriers could arise in the future.
--So I recommend two things: apply for that license as soon as you are eligible in the eyes of your medical board and your program. Stay on good terms with your program to what extent you can.
--Do not assume you are "safe" to get a license and continue your career despite the displeasure of your program because you have done that year, is the ultimate point. I know programs can at minimum make this more difficult. I suspect that there are ways they can hurt you regarding this point of completion, in addition to other ways they can make licensing difficult.

I see people on SDN making a lot of assumptions. That getting into medical school, getting an MD/DO, getting into residency, completing intern year, that passing each milestone somehow makes them "set" in various ways. Throwing their weight around before having a license, thinking it's assured.

It is my opinion that Eugene opened himself up to a world of hurt beyond not just finishing his program. I personally would not be surprised if his program was able to do something to stand in the way and keep him from a license. That isn't to say I think that is likely or not difficult, but I can imagine there may be a way to do so so no surprise if so.

TLDR:
Making waves not only before you complete a program, but before full licensing, even with a year of residency completed, is stupid and maybe career-ending.

Hey guys...update: I have just decided to move on with my life. These institutions aren’t worth fighting.

Way too familiar with that. I was there.

So was it as bad as the articles said? Because it sounds like UNM royally effed up and should have paid a lot more.

Hey guys...update: I have just decided to move on with my life. These institutions aren’t worth fighting.

So since you're not going forward do you mind sharing what your grievances against them were/are? Not trying to pry too far into your personal life, but if it's truly a malignant program then future residents would benefit from knowing why.

Reactions: 3 users
So was it as bad as the articles said? Because it sounds like UNM royally effed up and should have paid a lot more.

So since you're not going forward do you mind sharing what your grievances against them were/are? Not trying to pry too far into your personal life, but if it's truly a malignant program then future residents would benefit from knowing why.
Yes. They ****ed up. But they are Goliath, and we are David. And it’s hard for us to win.

These are ideas I have had and I welcome a discussion of other’s experience with them or thoughts.

They are having a cultural and identity crisis. Anschutz is a conservative christian billionaire from Kansas (similar to the Koch brothers in wealth and power accumulation). Though this is the state directly east to us, really it might as well be another planet politically than Denver. The democratic margins are huge in the city. The timing of the Anchutz donation corresponds with the current group of academics in power. The money as usual bought a lot of influence and the leadership is a non-diverse and discriminatory in their behavior. I have an unusual story so I just got caught up in all of this.

UC delivers segregated healthcare by Denver Health (Medicaid) and UCH (incredibly greedy, they check your insurance before your vitals). Attendings at the UC clinics ALWAYS mentioned if they had a patient on their schedule with Colorado Medicaid. Most complained. Some were happy to help. These patients often waited months more for an appointment compared to private insurance patients needing care. In effect this is Jim Crow healthcare for the underserved communities here.

Also the campus in Aurora has a disaster mental illness track record having produced the theatre shooter who was a Ph.D at the grad school at Anschutz and what may or may not be my case if you google Taylor Profita vs UCD. UC also decades ago denied psych residency to a qualified 4th year who had just been diagnosed with MS.

Last edited:
These are ideas I have had and I welcome a discussion of other’s experience with them or thoughts.

They are having a cultural and identity crisis. Anschutz is a conservative christian billionaire from Kansas (similar to the Koch brothers in wealth and power accumulation). Though this is the state directly east to us, really it might as well be another planet politically than Denver. The democratic margins are huge in the city. The timing of the Anchutz donation corresponds with the current group of academics in power. The money as usual bought a lot of influence and the leadership is a non-diverse and discriminatory in their behavior. I have an unusual story so I just got caught up in all of this.

UC delivers segregated healthcare by Denver Health (Medicaid) and UCH (incredibly greedy, they check your insurance before your vitals). Attendings at the UC clinics ALWAYS mentioned if they had a patient on their schedule with Colorado Medicaid. Most complained. Some were happy to help. These patients often waited months more for an appointment compared to private insurance patients needing care. In effect this is Jim Crow healthcare for the underserved communities here.

Also the campus in Aurora has a disaster mental illness track record having produced the theatre shooter who was a Ph.D at the grad school at Anschutz and what may or may not be my case if you google Taylor Profita vs UCD. UC also decades ago denied psych residency to a qualified 4th year who had just been diagnosed with MS.

Is this Jim Crow healthcare due to uncaring clinician or because medicaid does not cover cost? I suspect it’s because medicaid does not cover cost.

nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Soon to be able to update on my issue

I was about to ask why this thread is back. Eagerly awaiting an update, @metenuzer

I just want to write about the happiness and hope and love you can experience outside of the scapegoating megalomaniacs that control residency.

It’s one of:

- Moving on with your life
- “Massive Litigation”
- Random rich billionaire conspiracy theories
- Storming Area 51

Can’t wait to hear about it!
I just want to write about the happiness and hope and love you can experience outside of the scapegoating megalomaniacs that control residency.

So option 1 then.

Many do. They will lie and blame the resident. Saw some in different departments get screwed on politics. It’s a real threat and is under represented in the reality of how common it is.

Many do. They will lie and blame the resident. Saw some in different departments get screwed on politics. It’s a real threat and is under represented in the reality of how common it is.

Totally untrue. "Many" are not out there targeting and scapegoating residents for sport. Getting a throwaway account just to throw ambiguous shade with no facts to back it up is unfair to the countless students and residents reading this and worrying unnecessarily that they will be targeted for absolutely no reason in one of the "many" programs that "lie and blame the resident" in order to end his/her career.

To this day I have never seen a case of a resident who was fired unjustly. I keep seeing vague statement such as yours. Occasionally, someone will post a case to SDN and once we read through it, we see multiple documented failures of incompetence and unprofessionalism. No resident should fear being fired by an overzealous program director.

To this day I have never seen a case of a resident who was fired unjustly. I keep seeing vague statement such as yours. Occasionally, someone will post a case to SDN and once we read through it, we see multiple documented failures of incompetence and unprofessionalism. No resident should fear being fired by an overzealous program director.

Anesthesia resident reported anesthesia attending being under the influence of drugs at work. Made it his personal mission to get her terminated. Pretty easy to subjectively say “academic deficiencies”.

Surgery attending with big ego had bad surgical outcome and patient died during the case. Blamed his junior surgery resident in the case. Autopsy showed no error. Attending then made it his personal mission to target this resident as he saw them as a bad luck charm from that case per say and a bruise to his surgical ego. Both at the same institution. Not fired but resident transferred programs, resident did well on in service despite this attending saying academic deficiencies.

Not sure how much info you want? Names? Date of birth? People don’t post full details to protect the resident and out of fear. You don’t want the hospital coming down on you and targeting you.

Surgery attending physically assaulting residnets seen it personally. Department turn blind eye to it and hospital because the money they brought in. Anesthesia turned blind eye.

Last edited:
Anesthesia resident reported anesthesia attending being under the influence of drugs at work. Made it his personal mission to get her terminated. Pretty easy to subjectively say “academic deficiencies”.

Surgery attending with big ego had bad surgical outcome and patient died during the case. Blamed his junior surgery resident in the case. Autopsy showed no error. Attending then made it his personal mission to target this resident as he saw them as a bad luck charm from that case per say and a bruise to his surgical ego. Both at the same institution. Not fired but resident transferred programs, resident did well on in service despite this attending saying academic deficiencies.

Not sure how much info you want? Names? Date of birth? People don’t post full details to protect the resident and out of fear. You don’t want the hospital coming down on you and targeting you.

Surgery attending physically assaulting residnets seen it personally. Department turn blind eye to it and hospital because the money they brought in. Anesthesia turned blind eye.

I'd like the name of the hospital at the very least. Look, most of us know that residents are extremely vulnerable to defamation and harassment and that malignant attendings/programs DO exist, which is why threads like this are good IF and only IF they identify the programs where such things happened. To just state all of the above as an anonymous person with a throw-away account and expect anyone to believe it just because you said so is pointless. Really, what is anyone taking away from it? That you might be telling the truth about something suspect happening in some anonymous surgery/anesthesia programs in some anonymous hospital in some anonymous state/country? Okay. Maybe you're telling the truth and maybe that happened at some anonymous place to some anonymous people. It doesn't help the thread at all.

I think some of the point is to let residents know something that I think is absolutely essential:

What so many residents who are terminated will say, is that they felt a little blindsided. They felt it was easier to be terminated than they believed before. That they felt that before residency, they got the impression from those in medicine, that being fired was so ridiculously difficult and required so much egregious behavior as to be something they needn't even worry about. That yes, while attendings and others have ridic amounts of power, like in med school, the most that a lot of that conflict would come to, would be some scribbles on an eval, and life would go on.

I think this thread sends a very valuable lesson - everyone is expendable, and residents more than others.

It would be nice if there was indeed a list of programs. As has been pointed out, there are issues with that. What more difficult is that even if a program has a pattern, only time will reveal it, and by the time it gets recognized and reported here, the issue could in theory clear up as program admin changes periodically.

Also, there are a lot of reasons why residents can't speak out. Keep in mind as well, that some have NDAs in place. Which makes even hinting at what happened on this board, if one's IP address is available to board admin, legally unadvisable. I would be willing to bet that the residents who had the best case to establish that what happened to them was unfair, and had the best outcomes in dealing with this, in part because the case against them was indeed problematic, likely have an NDA. When there's risk that a program isn't going to come out looking rosy (which could just be appearances vs wrongdoing), they really want NDAs. They are then willing to negotiate with a resident for it, who is relatively desperate and powerless, and so will take the NDA in exchange for what could be the only saving grace for their career. So the cycle of silence is quite easy to assure even for a grossly malignant program.

In any case, I think it helps people to know what sorts of things have happened in the past, so they can recognize the signs of "trouble" and know where it can lead. So they aren't blindsided when it starts to happen to them.

Many who come here with stories, wish they had seen the writing on the wall sooner. Part of why they didn't, were all the people telling them not to worry. I'm sure some are deluded idiots, as someone will no doubt point out.

What never ceases to amaze me, is how many people on SDN make these claims that there's nothing to worry about, and only bad residents get targeted, that themselves were never the subject of this kind of thing. So I have no idea what they base that on. Seems more baseless to say "there isn't a problem because I've never encountered it" vs "I've been unfairly targeted, it's a thing."

Even if the targeting isn't "unfair," I still think it's valuable for other residents to be exposed to the sort of he said she said that can occur, what errors the resident made, etc.

As far as identifying programs, it's possible I would guess for someone to be at one of these programs, hear the scuttlebutt at the program, read SDN tales, and possibly figure out that they ended up at the same place. Or to PM some of the posters here to compare notes in their sleuthing.

I think some of the point is to let residents know something that I think is absolutely essential:

What so many residents who are terminated will say, is that they felt a little blindsided. They felt it was easier to be terminated than they believed before. That they felt that before residency, they got the impression from those in medicine, that being fired was so ridiculously difficult and required so much egregious behavior as to be something they needn't even worry about. That yes, while attendings and others have ridic amounts of power, like in med school, the most that a lot of that conflict would come to, would be some scribbles on an eval, and life would go on.

I think this thread sends a very valuable lesson - everyone is expendable, and residents more than others

But it doesn't do that. The posters who have lived with an unfair termination don't come forward; it's always those who claim they were unfairly terminated and then it turns out there were red flags up the wazoo. So yeah, residents may be blindsided, but that's due to their own lack of insight most of the time rather than lack of information about this stuff. Now a thread that names names so that we can do our research? That's ideal because MS4s know where not to apply. When those malignant programs have to SOAP year after year, it will hurt their credibility and hopefully, will lead them on a downward spiral toward shutting down.

It would be nice if there was indeed a list of programs. As has been pointed out, there are issues with that. What more difficult is that even if a program has a pattern, only time will reveal it, and by the time it gets recognized and reported here, the issue could in theory clear up as program admin changes periodically.

Doesn't matter. It would still hurt the program's reputation until they're forced to make changes. For instance, if someone posts Podunk U surgery program is malignant and gives specifics that can be validated/verified, it will absolutely make some on the interview trail more cautious and more willing to ask the hard questions of the other residents during visits.

Also, there are a lot of reasons why residents can't speak out. Keep in mind as well, that some have NDAs in place. Which makes even hinting at what happened on this board, if one's IP address is available to board admin, legally unadvisable.

I don't know anything about NDAs, but if one is in place, doesn't that mean lawyers are already involved and there is, therefore, a paper trail of what the program's done wrong. I don't know of a single resident versus hospital case in which an NDA was issued (and that becomes known during settlement), but if you do, please let me know. A lot of times residents who didn't get in trouble contribute to these threads about their classmates. In that case, there are no NDAs. They're not going to NDA the entire program.

In any case, I think it helps people to know what sorts of things have happened in the past, so they can recognize the signs of "trouble" and know where it can lead. So they aren't blindsided when it starts to happen to them.

But that's exactly what we're NOT seeing. We're seeing people say "I didn't do anything wrong, everyone loved me, the patients adored me, I was the smartest doc in the building, and then one day, the PD woke up on the wrong side of the bed and fired me." How is that helpful?

What never ceases to amaze me, is how many people on SDN make these claims that there's nothing to worry about, and only bad residents get targeted, that themselves were never the subject of this kind of thing. So I have no idea what they base that on. Seems more baseless to say "there isn't a problem because I've never encountered it" vs "I've been unfairly targeted, it's a thing."

Because there's no proof of people being unfairly targeted. If you look up legal cases in which a resident was fired, there are tons and tons and tons where the termination was considered just by the majority of us (and the court). Show me some where the resident's termination actually was due a problem with the program.

Even if the targeting isn't "unfair," I still think it's valuable for other residents to be exposed to the sort of he said she said that can occur, what errors the resident made, etc.

Only if the residents are being truthful and most are not, either due to lack of insight, or just plain not wanting to share the truth. Believe me, I can share stories during residency (one in particular that will make the hair curl) in which residents were devoid of insight and when they got in trouble, it became everyone else's fault.

[quote[As far as identifying programs, it's possible I would guess for someone to be at one of these programs, hear the scuttlebutt at the program, read SDN tales, and possibly figure out that they ended up at the same place. Or to PM some of the posters here to compare notes in their sleuthing.
[/QUOTE]

PM who though? A throwaway account who comes here to offer the cryptic "malignant programs exist"? LOL, no one's going to PM that guy except the truly neurotic.

I'd like the name of the hospital at the very least. Look, most of us know that residents are extremely vulnerable to defamation and harassment and that malignant attendings/programs DO exist, which is why threads like this are good IF and only IF they identify the programs where such things happened. To just state all of the above as an anonymous person with a throw-away account and expect anyone to believe it just because you said so is pointless. Really, what is anyone taking away from it? That you might be telling the truth about something suspect happening in some anonymous surgery/anesthesia programs in some anonymous hospital in some anonymous state/country? Okay. Maybe you're telling the truth and maybe that happened at some anonymous place to some anonymous people. It doesn't help the thread at all.

Sure I am a Bot that somehow created a verified account. Verified my email just so I could post a fake story on here? Give me a break.

I have to protect myself as well. Institutions 100% target individuals.

Same place, was going to get a resident Union. The internal medicine department individually went to the IMG residents and said they would fire them if the union happened. Out of fear they wouldn’t vote for Union because the Internal medicine department threatened them all. Union didn’t go through.

As busy as I am trying to learn and practice medicine I don’t have time to come make accounts to post fake stories. I joined here to seek help
Privately about my hospital and I’m not posting on a public forum about that. I coincidentally saw this thread.

You underestimate how fast someone can bring your medical training to a screeching hault. It is very scary.

Last edited:
I’ve only seen one resident fired during my career. He was noted to be dangerously inattentive on multiple occasions. Then he allowed a sedated patient to desaturate to the point of cardiac arrest without intervening. He should have been fired long before this happened. If anything residents who fail to demonstrate core competencies and/or have substance abuse or mental health issues that make them dangerous and should often are not fired because of a fear of legal ramifications. At my hospital we dealt with a surgeon who eventually gave up her privileges and stopped practicing medicine all together. All of us wondered how she was allowed to graduate.

There are terrible residents and terrible physicians out in independent practice. The ones who make you go “WTF were they thinking?!!” In my opinion it is too difficult to be fired as a resident.

I've seen 4 people removed/non-renewed from residency programs in my time. I worked with all of them on some capacity. They all had some weaknesses that made it hard to keep up with some aspect of training (they all also had some strengths). I watched as their programs implemented a remediation plan for them that seemed designed to either burn them out or simply build a case for dismissal (whether this was intentional or not, that is at least how it seemed).

Of those 4, I genuinely believe 2 could have been remediated successfully in a more supportive program or with a small amount of additional time.

I do not believe their programs are purposefully malignant or malicious in some way. I simply don't believe they have a good way to remediate residents, and to be honest, I don't think they actually notice or feel the impact that losing residents has on those remaining in the program, both in terms of workload and resident morale. I don't know if there's also a budgetary component or what. There does seem to be some level of a personality clash component with those let go and those in power. I do know that other programs in this institution are more supportive and have better remediation policies, including my own.

That all said, my institution as a whole is strict and very anti-union. They have worked hard to squash union talk among residents and nurses. I'm not aware of overtly threatening residents, but they have done other things that were conveniently timed given resident council union discussions (which have since dissipated).

You can choose to believe me or not. I'm certainly not someone who just made a throwaway account. I'm also not going to out my institution or the programs involved, or give more details, because it would absolutely out me, and I will still be here for at least a few more years.

I think there is a lot of truth to the statement that most programs are supportive and work hard to keep residents, and often when residents are let go it is appropriate. But there's also a lot of truth to the fact that sometimes it's not only egregious actions that result in resident termination or non-renewal.

Also, to be clear, the only reason I'm even writing this post, against my better judgement, is that the overarching theme of this forum is to deny that unreasonable remediation/termination/non-renewal exists. I've seen it. It exists. It sucks when it happens. Residents need to recognize that this is a possibility, however rare, and they should do everything in their power to stay under the radar. Get along with everyone whether you like them or not, work hard, and take criticism/remediation seriously.

Reactions: 7 users
I've seen 4 people removed/non-renewed from residency programs in my time. I worked with all of them on some capacity. They all had some weaknesses that made it hard to keep up with some aspect of training (they all also had some strengths). I watched as their programs implemented a remediation plan for them that seemed designed to either burn them out or simply build a case for dismissal (whether this was intentional or not, that is at least how it seemed).

Of those 4, I genuinely believe 2 could have been remediated successfully in a more supportive program or with a small amount of additional time.

I do not believe their programs are purposefully malignant or malicious in some way. I simply don't believe they have a good way to remediate residents, and to be honest, I don't think they actually notice or feel the impact that losing residents has on those remaining in the program, both in terms of workload and resident morale. I don't know if there's also a budgetary component or what. There does seem to be some level of a personality clash component with those let go and those in power. I do know that other programs in this institution are more supportive and have better remediation policies, including my own.

That all said, my institution as a whole is strict and very anti-union. They have worked hard to squash union talk among residents and nurses. I'm not aware of overtly threatening residents, but they have done other things that were conveniently timed given resident council union discussions (which have since dissipated).

You can choose to believe me or not. I'm certainly not someone who just made a throwaway account. I'm also not going to out my institution or the programs involved, or give more details, because it would absolutely out me, and I will still be here for at least a few more years.

I think there is a lot of truth to the statement that most programs are supportive and work hard to keep residents, and often when residents are let go it is appropriate. But there's also a lot of truth to the fact that sometimes it's not only egregious actions that result in resident termination or non-renewal.

Also, to be clear, the only reason I'm even writing this post, against my better judgement, is that the overarching theme of this forum is to deny that unreasonable remediation/termination/non-renewal exists. I've seen it. It exists. It sucks when it happens. Residents need to recognize that this is a possibility, however rare, and they should do everything in their power to stay under the radar. Get along with everyone whether you like them or not, work hard, and take criticism/remediation seriously.
I think we all appreciate you sharing this (though I can only speak for myself). I especially appreciate and agree with the last part here.

I don't think anyone is saying that unfair terminations never happen. Speaking again for myself, I just think that unfair dismissals are very likely a small minority of terminations. You even say in your case that you don't think the program is purposefully malignant or malicious but merely have a lack of a good remediation process.

First, I appreciate your post. There's no need for you to name names because you're a regular poster and regular contributor to the forum. What you say, even anonymously, is taken seriously, versus a throw-away with no posting history that we can verify. The poster above may believe that it's far-fetched that someone would get a throw-away account just to post this stuff, but I'd argue that poster's experience with SDN is limited if he/she truly believes people don't do that.

I have also seen residents terminated and I saw one come dangerously close to termination, both in my former program and in other programs. In one case, the resident so severely lacking insight that while he was saying "I did nothing wrong", residents and attendings were saying "I can't believe he lasted this long." What is to stop that person from getting a throwaway to come here and post malignant programs exist when the fact is that that person was given so many chances that the program practically spoiled and coddled him? That's the problem with throwaways who only reinforce the paranoia among residents.

No one said (that I've seen) that malignant programs don't exist and that sometimes programs get it wrong by firing a resident. Of course they do. But reading these threads one would think it happens in the majority of terminations when exactly the opposite is true.

But it doesn't do that. The posters who have lived with an unfair termination don't come forward; it's always those who claim they were unfairly terminated and then it turns out there were red flags up the wazoo. So yeah, residents may be blindsided, but that's due to their own lack of insight most of the time rather than lack of information about this stuff. Now a thread that names names so that we can do our research? That's ideal because MS4s know where not to apply. When those malignant programs have to SOAP year after year, it will hurt their credibility and hopefully, will lead them on a downward spiral toward shutting down.

Doesn't matter. It would still hurt the program's reputation until they're forced to make changes. For instance, if someone posts Podunk U surgery program is malignant and gives specifics that can be validated/verified, it will absolutely make some on the interview trail more cautious and more willing to ask the hard questions of the other residents during visits.

I don't know anything about NDAs, but if one is in place, doesn't that mean lawyers are already involved and there is, therefore, a paper trail of what the program's done wrong. I don't know of a single resident versus hospital case in which an NDA was issued (and that becomes known during settlement), but if you do, please let me know. A lot of times residents who didn't get in trouble contribute to these threads about their classmates. In that case, there are no NDAs. They're not going to NDA the entire program.

But that's exactly what we're NOT seeing. We're seeing people say "I didn't do anything wrong, everyone loved me, the patients adored me, I was the smartest doc in the building, and then one day, the PD woke up on the wrong side of the bed and fired me." How is that helpful?

Because there's no proof of people being unfairly targeted. If you look up legal cases in which a resident was fired, there are tons and tons and tons where the termination was considered just by the majority of us (and the court). Show me some where the resident's termination actually was due a problem with the program.

Only if the residents are being truthful and most are not, either due to lack of insight, or just plain not wanting to share the truth. Believe me, I can share stories during residency (one in particular that will make the hair curl) in which residents were devoid of insight and when they got in trouble, it became everyone else's fault.

[quote[As far as identifying programs, it's possible I would guess for someone to be at one of these programs, hear the scuttlebutt at the program, read SDN tales, and possibly figure out that they ended up at the same place. Or to PM some of the posters here to compare notes in their sleuthing.

PM who though? A throwaway account who comes here to offer the cryptic "malignant programs exist"? LOL, no one's going to PM that guy except the truly neurotic.
[/QUOTE]
This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Yes, the PM'ing happens, I know it because I've been in those PMs. Clearly you were not. I just love how people on SDN claim that just because something hasn't happened to them, that it doesn't exist. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, I usually find a lot of wisdom in your posts. I hinted that it happens, because I've been in those PMs. I hinted, because it's questionable if my saying that such PMs exist, is a TOS violation. However, even without referencing my experience, to me doesn't take away from the theoretical possibility that it is one way these threads can be useful. I felt comfortable saying as much. But as always, reasonable possibility is never seen as such on SDN, so I have to say the theory is proven.

Anyone listing Podunk University and then *on top* of that lists details like you suggest, is likely to be identifiable to those closest to the situation, should they come across it.

I had one attorney who specializes in employment law, warn me about employees with grievances against their employer posting anything on the internet. That even if it seems "anonymous" IP addresses and other things can be subpoenaed, that they had in fact seen this, and that information had in fact been pulled from sites *like* SDN (I'm not saying this has or has not happened with SDN). Social Security has been known to cruise people's Facebook and use photos there as evidence - another factoid from an attorney who dealt with that. Basically, do NOT underestimate the ability of what you post on the internet to destroy you in a legal case, no matter how innocuous or internet-anonymous it might seem.

Just as residents in trouble hit the webs and find themselves on SDN reading about termination, it would not surprise me in the least that those on the program side that find themselves dealing with this kind of drama, might also hit the web. I haven't heard directly but rather anecdotally, that programs do sometimes go looking on social media regarding people of interest. Given that these attorneys have mentioned these things to me, I also wouldn't be surprised if hospital legal risk management attorneys would know of this as a way to gather information in a case, and do so themselves. I was told as much by one attorney.

The one attorney did tell me that other attorneys representing employers with NDAs, have gone after people who have broken NDAs, even seemingly anonymously on the internet, even years later. Basically, if you have an NDA, don't think you can EVER go online and name that university or enough detail to identify them. There are PR people out there who make it their job to periodically look at what's online and manage it.

And I will point out, that even beyond one's relationship with their residency program, that programs can affect you after you have left them. Consider if you will, a few residents I knew personally and closely in real life. Both finished at the same time, one was in better standing than the other. Both needed and requested the exact same piece of paperwork at the exact same time. When we compared notes, it seems that one was done in a timely fashion within a few weeks, and anothers still hadn't been addressed months later, despite calls to remind them. Coincidence, or related to how to their standing with the program? This is not the only tale where it seems that a program finds a way to get back at residents long after they leave, as this sort of paperwork is involved in credentialing and new jobs. I was also privy to more such incidents, that were worse and clearly not questionable as to intent, but it's too identifying I fear.

So, I'm claiming that more details about malignant programs are shared behind the scenes by PM, and that some of those convos originate in otherwise anonymous but open threads, some like this very one.

I'm claiming that at least per one attorney's advice, given to my personal face, not to be surprised just from where employers gather info, and how, and that just about anything can be subpoenaed. Believe that or not, I guess.

Residency programs can find ways to hurt you even when you're done with them. Maybe it's not even malignant. Maybe the PC just subconsciously puts your paperwork to the bottom of their priorities.

I don't think some programs are "malignant" or full of bad people because of this kind of thing. People are human. Everyone, including program admin, can feel pushed to the wall.

As far as NDAs, actually, residents can be asked to sign them as a "routine" part of a forced resignation or termination. The only lawyers that have to be involved are the ones on the program's end that created the paperwork. And you best believe that when a resident is being forcibly pushed out, that there's a good chance hospital legal risk management is involved. There's a chance it hasn't been kicked up that far if the resident hasn't mentioned the things that will automatically get hospital attorneys involved. I can tell you that the minute the resident gets their own attorney involved, that most hospitals have a policy whereby the program admin is required to immediately notify legal risk management. However much of this can be kept silent forever and ever.

I want you to consider for a moment why you would not be aware of cases where an NDA exists. Seriously, consider. There doesn't have to be any filing or public legal proceedings for one to come into play. In fact, this is why organizations will push for them.

The only way I would know of someone else's NDA, is if one of the parties privy to it revealed there was an NDA. Most NDAs actually forbid mentioning that there is in fact an NDA in place, except in very few instances outlined by the NDA. It sort of undermines some of the very intent of an NDA if it doesn't have a clause whereby you can't even discuss its existence. You won't generally know that all info regarding something has dried up because of a NDA, because no one will tell you so. This isn't an accident.

It's possible that someone with an NDA mentions it to someone, and then that someone breaks their confidence. Any attorney will tell you not to tell anyone that you have an NDA, unless they are on the short list. Typically, you can tell a healthcare professional that is treating you about an NDA (I imagine being in such a situation someone might want to discuss how their NDA makes them feel in a MH setting), and you can tell an attorney that you have privilege with. For the obvious reasons you can discuss what is covered by an NDA with these exceptions, and also confidentiality in these situations means that the NDA still protects both parties that signed.

If I did have an NDA myself, part of the terms of the typical NDA would forbid me from even saying so.

There's a chance that fellow residents in a program might have some information to contribute. Any attorney worth their weight in salt is going to tell a resident in trouble to shut their mouth about ANYTHING taking place the moment they get representation. So no, many co-residents are going to be left in the dark about how things actually shake out. If there is an NDA at some point, I wouldn't necessarily expect them to know. Not to mention, unless there exists a relationship outside work, once someone stops showing up to work as a result of these proceedings, that also tends to put co-residents in the dark.

Despite all this about NDAs and attorney warnings, I imagine some residents are unable to contain themselves entirely, and take at least the risk of posting on SDN, anonymously, and trying to hopefully not be identifiable to a program, whether or not they have an NDA, but particularly if they do.

Programs seek NDAs precisely so a paper trail of what transpires between an employer and employee is never created in the first place, or if it is, will be sealed in some way. And to control the amount of info that is possible to leak to other employees or the internet.

The irony is that the cases where a resident has the best case, are the most likely to be silent and stay that way. This is because if the case has merit, the program will offer to do a bunch of things that a desperate resident losing a training slot, desperately needs to salvage their career, all for the sake of making things cheap and silent. Cheap and silent means that it never goes to court and the resident signs an NDA.

Yes, we've seen the cases that go to court where the publicity is bad for the program. But if you all find them so unsubstantiated and on further inspection don't seem to be too damning for the program, consider why that might be. Even good cases for discrimination are actually extremely difficult to prove, even when it's clearly what is taking place. But if the case is good, has merit, the resident has bargaining power, and the program will negotiate specifically to avoid it coming to light in court. Could the resident just choose to go to court? Even with a good case, it's not clear that the resident would end up with more of what they actually need to move forward.

The nature of training makes it such that a resident is often better off with a for-sure offer of a two-party NDA and a negotiated neutral-to-good LOR, and possibly some other things, than they are with any other thing that might come out of a court case, assuming you can even win. The former gives you a shot at another training slot. The latter, I don't see how that eases the path to board certification. Unless you win enough money to make never getting licensed/BC, pay back your loans, make up for lost income, or that none of this legal hoo-haw negatively impacts you pursuing those things with a different employer. We all know that training is a small world and constrained, and no one likes a litigious resident, even if the case was merited. We've discussed how being "reinstated" to a former position doesn't really help either.

So, if you are actually in a position to go to court and hurt a program, you are in a position to bargain for things that might help save your career. Going to court, even with a good case, not only is it not clear that you win, but even if you win, you still might not be in a better position regarding your career. On the other hand, if your case is not so clear, and it's marginal, and you can't get anything by bargaining and offering your silence to the program, then it would seem that the only chance of getting anything in that scenario, however low, is to go to court. We can argue how court in the situation of defensible termination might make things even worse for someone trying to move forward, but from a different perspective I can see why a resident might figure what the heck.

Let's not put faith in what the resident decides to do, settle or go to court. Because regardless, we can imagine someone not making a rational choice here, or getting bad legal advice.

What do YOU think a PROGRAM being advised by hospital legal risk management, does? When the resident has a good case, do you think the program is told to do what they can to settle and get silence, or do you think they can decide to go to court over the protests of legal risk management?

If a resident really wants to sue with a bad case, and they can't settle the bad case with the program (the program's attorneys won't settle it), sure, it can move forward because the resident wants to do that. But what do you think programs try to do with the cases they truly have to fear? I imagine in some cases they don't want to settle and give any merit to a case, and prefer to take their chances in court, and take the dings in PR and such just by having the case go there. But I argue far and away, when a program is going to lose in court or look really bad by not settling (moreso than by settling), then they settle. Getting a legal waiver and an NDA can be ridiculously easy.

I think where you see cases going to court, are the cases where the program doesn't feel they have to settle, and the resident isn't going to be able to get much of anything out of the program without going to court. That isn't to say they are going to be able to get anything out of the program by taking it to court. Sometimes a resident is SOL, and the only way they can put pressure on a program or get "revenge" is to go to court.

So, you have a good case that the program was wrong enough that they are going to have to settle with you in a way that lets you move forward. So all is right with the world now? They're saints and you want the students you mentor to match there? Hardly. At minimum, you don't want what happened to you, to happen to others. Here's the thing. I'm not even sure how program-specific these things are. We talk like it's evil PDs that make these things happen. I think the firing of a remediatible resident is multifactorial, and I fear that it is a combination of the way that medicine is practiced and taught, the way that training is structured, plus the other details that are hard to account for on SDN, like personalities, particular programs, residents, attendings, educational backgrounds, etc.

It would be nice if this thread had more hard facts, names, and less hints. It would be nice if there was better info on actual cases of unfair treatment of residents/former residents. The fact that less exists than I would like, well, I know why the silence exists, and I would tell you, the silence isn't because nothing is there.

The cases with merit are easy enough to silence. The cases that are ridiculous, move forward for a multitude of reasons. There is a bias. I expect this bias affects the types of cases we see reported to SDN, and how much detail accompanies them as well.

As someone who reviews ERAS applications for the past 2 years, I have seen several programs that terminated 1-3 residents years and years. There are definitely malignant programs out there; With the right support and right seniors/mentors, a struggling resident can often become successful.
I also have personal knowledge of residents, whose either transferred or repeated a year and become successful in their new program and/or specialties and matched fellowship or become attendings in a top 40 program.

Often time struggling residents have external stressors (family member with serious illness, marital problems, living in a dangerous neighborhood) that lead to performance problems, which in term put them in probation--> renewal--> non-promotion pathway.

Much of the problem in a discussion like this is the definition of "malignant". There are many different possibilities. A few:

Type 1 - Program terminates residents for issues that are essentially illegal. Resident refuses romantic gesture by senior. Resident told not to get pregnant or will be fired. Racial profiling. Etc.

Type 2 - Program terminates resident for "bad outcomes". Most bad outcomes are due to a system failure. However, in front of every system failure is a person. An EKG is misread by a new fellow and the patient has a poor outcome -- is it the fellow? Or perhaps the system should not be having new fellows read critical EKG's at 3AM on their own. But it's easy to blame the fellow.

Type 3 - Programs that terminate residents for chronic underperformance without adequate remediation. Some residents just won't do was well as others -- that's just a fact of life. Maybe they were less well prepared by their previous training. Maybe they have a new medical or social issue that's impacting their performance. Maybe they are just a slower learner. Or any combination, or other factors. This issue highlights the conflict between the employer / student duality that is residency training. As an employer, if I hire an employee and then after a reasonable training period they have trouble doing the work, is it my responsibility to keep them on and help them do better? Or can I just hire someone else? As an educator, I feel I have some obligation to try to fairly remediate residents -- but it's very time consuming, resource intensive, and can be unpleasant depending on the resident's engagement. I can totally see how some residency programs would take someone who's struggling, tell them they have 2 months to "shape up or ship out". Chances are no one will get better in 2 months.

I expect that everyone would agree that Type 1 programs are completely unacceptable. They are also likely very rare. One wonders whether they are more common in highly competitive programs ("We're so good that we can do anything we want") or very low competitive programs ("Our residents have nowhere to go, so we can do whatever we want"). Type 2 and type 3 issues are much more nuanced. How much is enough remediation? Where is the line between personal responsibility and system responsibility? There are no answers to these questions -- or answers will fall along a bell curve.

Any one person's description of a program as "malignant" is going to be very difficult to verify or corroborate. We have had residents claim something in the Type 1 category which simply isn't true. I have had an applicant file an EEOC complaint against me for racial discrimination in our application process. I'm sure he believed that, but the reason he wasn't invited for an interview was his multiple fails on the USMLE. Yet, if he has posted his story here I'm sure it would have made our program look really crappy. A thread like this is going to be a mess.

Is there a solution? I do think that having each program publish the % of resident who start the program who end up finishing would be very reasonable (over some reasonable period of time). No one would expect that number to be 100% -- some people will transfer to a new program for any number of reasons, both good and bad. And a lower score would not necessarily mean a worse program, just like programs with lower board pass rates are not necessarily worse than those with higher pass rates.

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Yes, the PM'ing happens, I know it because I've been in those PMs. Clearly you were not. I just love how people on SDN claim that just because something hasn't happened to them, that it doesn't exist. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, I usually find a lot of wisdom in your posts. I hinted that it happens, because I've been in those PMs. I hinted, because it's questionable if my saying that such PMs exist, is a TOS violation. However, even without referencing my experience, to me doesn't take away from the theoretical possibility that it is one way these threads can be useful. I felt comfortable saying as much. But as always, reasonable possibility is never seen as such on SDN, so I have to say the theory is proven.

Anyone listing Podunk University and then *on top* of that lists details like you suggest, is likely to be identifiable to those closest to the situation, should they come across it.

I had one attorney who specializes in employment law, warn me about employees with grievances against their employer posting anything on the internet. That even if it seems "anonymous" IP addresses and other things can be subpoenaed, that they had in fact seen this, and that information had in fact been pulled from sites *like* SDN (I'm not saying this has or has not happened with SDN). Social Security has been known to cruise people's Facebook and use photos there as evidence - another factoid from an attorney who dealt with that. Basically, do NOT underestimate the ability of what you post on the internet to destroy you in a legal case, no matter how innocuous or internet-anonymous it might seem.

Just as residents in trouble hit the webs and find themselves on SDN reading about termination, it would not surprise me in the least that those on the program side that find themselves dealing with this kind of drama, might also hit the web. I haven't heard directly but rather anecdotally, that programs do sometimes go looking on social media regarding people of interest. Given that these attorneys have mentioned these things to me, I also wouldn't be surprised if hospital legal risk management attorneys would know of this as a way to gather information in a case, and do so themselves. I was told as much by one attorney.

The one attorney did tell me that other attorneys representing employers with NDAs, have gone after people who have broken NDAs, even seemingly anonymously on the internet, even years later. Basically, if you have an NDA, don't think you can EVER go online and name that university or enough detail to identify them. There are PR people out there who make it their job to periodically look at what's online and manage it.

And I will point out, that even beyond one's relationship with their residency program, that programs can affect you after you have left them. Consider if you will, a few residents I knew personally and closely in real life. Both finished at the same time, one was in better standing than the other. Both needed and requested the exact same piece of paperwork at the exact same time. When we compared notes, it seems that one was done in a timely fashion within a few weeks, and anothers still hadn't been addressed months later, despite calls to remind them. Coincidence, or related to how to their standing with the program? This is not the only tale where it seems that a program finds a way to get back at residents long after they leave, as this sort of paperwork is involved in credentialing and new jobs. I was also privy to more such incidents, that were worse and clearly not questionable as to intent, but it's too identifying I fear.

So, I'm claiming that more details about malignant programs are shared behind the scenes by PM, and that some of those convos originate in otherwise anonymous but open threads, some like this very one.

I'm claiming that at least per one attorney's advice, given to my personal face, not to be surprised just from where employers gather info, and how, and that just about anything can be subpoenaed. Believe that or not, I guess.

Residency programs can find ways to hurt you even when you're done with them. Maybe it's not even malignant. Maybe the PC just subconsciously puts your paperwork to the bottom of their priorities.

I don't think some programs are "malignant" or full of bad people because of this kind of thing. People are human. Everyone, including program admin, can feel pushed to the wall.

As far as NDAs, actually, residents can be asked to sign them as a "routine" part of a forced resignation or termination. The only lawyers that have to be involved are the ones on the program's end that created the paperwork. And you best believe that when a resident is being forcibly pushed out, that there's a good chance hospital legal risk management is involved. There's a chance it hasn't been kicked up that far if the resident hasn't mentioned the things that will automatically get hospital attorneys involved. I can tell you that the minute the resident gets their own attorney involved, that most hospitals have a policy whereby the program admin is required to immediately notify legal risk management. However much of this can be kept silent forever and ever.

I want you to consider for a moment why you would not be aware of cases where an NDA exists. Seriously, consider. There doesn't have to be any filing or public legal proceedings for one to come into play. In fact, this is why organizations will push for them.

The only way I would know of someone else's NDA, is if one of the parties privy to it revealed there was an NDA. Most NDAs actually forbid mentioning that there is in fact an NDA in place, except in very few instances outlined by the NDA. It sort of undermines some of the very intent of an NDA if it doesn't have a clause whereby you can't even discuss its existence. You won't generally know that all info regarding something has dried up because of a NDA, because no one will tell you so. This isn't an accident.

It's possible that someone with an NDA mentions it to someone, and then that someone breaks their confidence. Any attorney will tell you not to tell anyone that you have an NDA, unless they are on the short list. Typically, you can tell a healthcare professional that is treating you about an NDA (I imagine being in such a situation someone might want to discuss how their NDA makes them feel in a MH setting), and you can tell an attorney that you have privilege with. For the obvious reasons you can discuss what is covered by an NDA with these exceptions, and also confidentiality in these situations means that the NDA still protects both parties that signed.

If I did have an NDA myself, part of the terms of the typical NDA would forbid me from even saying so.

There's a chance that fellow residents in a program might have some information to contribute. Any attorney worth their weight in salt is going to tell a resident in trouble to shut their mouth about ANYTHING taking place the moment they get representation. So no, many co-residents are going to be left in the dark about how things actually shake out. If there is an NDA at some point, I wouldn't necessarily expect them to know. Not to mention, unless there exists a relationship outside work, once someone stops showing up to work as a result of these proceedings, that also tends to put co-residents in the dark.

Despite all this about NDAs and attorney warnings, I imagine some residents are unable to contain themselves entirely, and take at least the risk of posting on SDN, anonymously, and trying to hopefully not be identifiable to a program, whether or not they have an NDA, but particularly if they do.

Programs seek NDAs precisely so a paper trail of what transpires between an employer and employee is never created in the first place, or if it is, will be sealed in some way. And to control the amount of info that is possible to leak to other employees or the internet.

The irony is that the cases where a resident has the best case, are the most likely to be silent and stay that way. This is because if the case has merit, the program will offer to do a bunch of things that a desperate resident losing a training slot, desperately needs to salvage their career, all for the sake of making things cheap and silent. Cheap and silent means that it never goes to court and the resident signs an NDA.

Yes, we've seen the cases that go to court where the publicity is bad for the program. But if you all find them so unsubstantiated and on further inspection don't seem to be too damning for the program, consider why that might be. Even good cases for discrimination are actually extremely difficult to prove, even when it's clearly what is taking place. But if the case is good, has merit, the resident has bargaining power, and the program will negotiate specifically to avoid it coming to light in court. Could the resident just choose to go to court? Even with a good case, it's not clear that the resident would end up with more of what they actually need to move forward.

The nature of training makes it such that a resident is often better off with a for-sure offer of a two-party NDA and a negotiated neutral-to-good LOR, and possibly some other things, than they are with any other thing that might come out of a court case, assuming you can even win. The former gives you a shot at another training slot. The latter, I don't see how that eases the path to board certification. Unless you win enough money to make never getting licensed/BC, pay back your loans, make up for lost income, or that none of this legal hoo-haw negatively impacts you pursuing those things with a different employer. We all know that training is a small world and constrained, and no one likes a litigious resident, even if the case was merited. We've discussed how being "reinstated" to a former position doesn't really help either.

So, if you are actually in a position to go to court and hurt a program, you are in a position to bargain for things that might help save your career. Going to court, even with a good case, not only is it not clear that you win, but even if you win, you still might not be in a better position regarding your career. On the other hand, if your case is not so clear, and it's marginal, and you can't get anything by bargaining and offering your silence to the program, then it would seem that the only chance of getting anything in that scenario, however low, is to go to court. We can argue how court in the situation of defensible termination might make things even worse for someone trying to move forward, but from a different perspective I can see why a resident might figure what the heck.

Let's not put faith in what the resident decides to do, settle or go to court. Because regardless, we can imagine someone not making a rational choice here, or getting bad legal advice.

What do YOU think a PROGRAM being advised by hospital legal risk management, does? When the resident has a good case, do you think the program is told to do what they can to settle and get silence, or do you think they can decide to go to court over the protests of legal risk management?

If a resident really wants to sue with a bad case, and they can't settle the bad case with the program (the program's attorneys won't settle it), sure, it can move forward because the resident wants to do that. But what do you think programs try to do with the cases they truly have to fear? I imagine in some cases they don't want to settle and give any merit to a case, and prefer to take their chances in court, and take the dings in PR and such just by having the case go there. But I argue far and away, when a program is going to lose in court or look really bad by not settling (moreso than by settling), then they settle. Getting a legal waiver and an NDA can be ridiculously easy.

I think where you see cases going to court, are the cases where the program doesn't feel they have to settle, and the resident isn't going to be able to get much of anything out of the program without going to court. That isn't to say they are going to be able to get anything out of the program by taking it to court. Sometimes a resident is SOL, and the only way they can put pressure on a program or get "revenge" is to go to court.

So, you have a good case that the program was wrong enough that they are going to have to settle with you in a way that lets you move forward. So all is right with the world now? They're saints and you want the students you mentor to match there? Hardly. At minimum, you don't want what happened to you, to happen to others. Here's the thing. I'm not even sure how program-specific these things are. We talk like it's evil PDs that make these things happen. I think the firing of a remediatible resident is multifactorial, and I fear that it is a combination of the way that medicine is practiced and taught, the way that training is structured, plus the other details that are hard to account for on SDN, like personalities, particular programs, residents, attendings, educational backgrounds, etc.

It would be nice if this thread had more hard facts, names, and less hints. It would be nice if there was better info on actual cases of unfair treatment of residents/former residents. The fact that less exists than I would like, well, I know why the silence exists, and I would tell you, the silence isn't because nothing is there.

The cases with merit are easy enough to silence. The cases that are ridiculous, move forward for a multitude of reasons. There is a bias. I expect this bias affects the types of cases we see reported to SDN, and how much detail accompanies them as well.
2481 words long. I'm not sure if this is the longest Crayola post ever, but it has to be in the running.

• Haha
Here's the thing. I'm not even sure how program-specific these things are. We talk like it's evil PDs that make these things happen. I think the firing of a remediatible resident is multifactorial, and I fear that it is a combination of the way that medicine is practiced and taught, the way that training is structured, plus the other details that are hard to account for on SDN, like personalities, particular programs, residents, attendings, educational backgrounds, etc.
I agree with this being the essence of the problem in a lot of programs. Abusing residents is commonplace and it really goes beyond the few accounts of these terminated residents with huge attitude issues or exceedingly questionable behavior many people here like to bash...Ask for anectodes from loads of the majority of residents who go on to graduate and you'll get the bigger picture of what malignant behaviors from attendings and senior residents alike towards the weaker trainees are. Abuse is institutionalized in many more programs than many people seem to care about, and yes, a huge part of this does have to do with the way medical education and the medical practice in general is culturally structured.

The discussion should not be about labeling programs as malignant (though some with worse institutionalization of abuse and having the worse combination of personalities do qualify for the label), as much as it should be recognizing the malignant behaviors that are pervasive in a lot more programs than those anyone would agree to call malignant...

Last edited:

Fairly difficult for me to believe the case of the attending blaming the junior resident in the case for a patient Intraop death AND getting away with it. Unless the resident stabbed the patient in the heart as the attending tried to wrestle the knife away. This is just not the way Surgery works. The attending is scrubbed in and ultimately responsible. Can’t see other surgery attendings accepting blaming junior resident.

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Yes, the PM'ing happens, I know it because I've been in those PMs. Clearly you were not

What? I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I said most posters don't PM throwaway accounts with no post history for advice. You're not a throwaway account with no post history, so I'm unclear on why you inserted your experience with PMs into this.

And for the record, I currently have 11 messages in my PM (accumulated over the past 8-9 days), if we're going to compare for irrelevant purposes. Just saying.

I just love how people on SDN claim that just because something hasn't happened to them, that it doesn't exist.

Again, you misunderstood my point, so please don't insult me due to your misunderstanding.

However, even without referencing my experience, to me doesn't take away from the theoretical possibility that it is one way these threads can be useful.

No one said these threads can't be useful. The difference of opinion is in what makes them useful.

And I will point out, that even beyond one's relationship with their residency program, that programs can affect you after you have left them. Consider if you will, a few residents I knew personally and closely in real life. Both finished at the same time, one was in better standing than the other. Both needed and requested the exact same piece of paperwork at the exact same time. When we compared notes, it seems that one was done in a timely fashion within a few weeks, and anothers still hadn't been addressed months later, despite calls to remind them. Coincidence, or related to how to their standing with the program?

It shouldn't be a surprise to any adult who is competent at adulting that your relationship with your boss matters and that it can make a difference when it comes to requests being done when you want it done versus when it's convenient for them to get it done. It sucks, but it's the way the world works and does not distinguish malignant programs from non-malignant programs.

As far as NDAs, actually, residents can be asked to sign them as a "routine" part of a forced resignation or termination. The only lawyers that have to be involved are the ones on the program's end that created the paperwork. And you best believe that when a resident is being forcibly pushed out, that there's a good chance hospital legal risk management is involved.

NDAs are made as part of settlements so I'm confused as to why a resident would be fired or forced to resign and also forced to sign an NDA upon termination unless some settlement was offered (LOR, etc). That would mean they can't talk to anyone to say they were fired and get advice? That's ridiculous. Now legally, it may make sense for the resident not to speak out until they go through the legal process and/or appeals, but signing an NDA upon forced termination from residency just doesn't sound realistic to me.

@aProgDirector have you heard of residents being given NDAs as a "routine part of a forced resignation"?

Any attorney worth their weight in salt is going to tell a resident in trouble to shut their mouth about ANYTHING taking place the moment they get representation

Yes, of course, and no one is disputing that. That actually makes sense and during the process, I agree that residents should keep their mouth shut.

I just couldn't read anymore, but my bottom line for those still reading is that I firmly believe there are some malignant programs out there that target residents and don't believe in due process if they don't like you. These programs are, by far, the minority and most residents who are terminated actually had deficiencies in either academics or professionalism, whether or not they know/acknowledge it.