List of PsyD Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any good ones a Forensic emphasis?
Indiana State University has a good program that is funded so you get tuition remission AND an assistantship, which is rare. they also have a forensic faculty member

I am interested in psychodynamic but not spirituality. I do have "research experience" but not much I can put on a CV. For instance, I wrote an honor's thesis based upon my friend's independent study, am second investigator on another one of their studies right now, and am submitting my own study to the IRB this week. We are submitting our studies to SEPA for next year.

I went to Chestnut Hill College, an APA accredited program in clinical psychology in Philadelphia. It's a PsyD and the program heavily emphasizes psychodynamic training (object relations specifically). They also integrate family systems training, but I went there for the psychodynamic training. It's an excellent program. The faculty were incredibly supportive. I received a teaching assistantship for 2 years, and general grad assistantships are also available. We also have a captive internship consortium that is currently APPIC accredited and has an APA site visit scheduled for the spring. Plus, it's in a beautiful neighborhood of Philadelphia (Chestnut Hill), so it's safer than many other areas and there is ample parking. Check it out! I am MORE THAN HAPPY with my experience at CHC!

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to Chestnut Hill College, an APA accredited program in clinical psychology in Philadelphia. It's a PsyD and the program heavily emphasizes psychodynamic training (object relations specifically). They also integrate family systems training, but I went there for the psychodynamic training. It's an excellent program. The faculty were incredibly supportive. I received a teaching assistantship for 2 years, and general grad assistantships are also available. We also have a captive internship consortium that is currently APPIC accredited and has an APA site visit scheduled for the spring. Plus, it's in a beautiful neighborhood of Philadelphia (Chestnut Hill), so it's safer than many other areas and there is ample parking. Check it out! I am MORE THAN HAPPY with my experience at CHC!
Do you think my stats are competitive enough?

Indiana State University has a good program that is funded so you get tuition remission AND an assistantship, which is rare. they also have a forensic faculty member
I emailed them and the director was extremely rude to me, so I took them off my list forever.

The captive internship helps, but you guys have to work on that EPPP rate.

I did a practicum at an APA accredited internship consortium and I never thought about specifically noting (on my CV or elsewhere) it was an APA internship site. How much do you think site directors/reviewers care about that in particular?

I did a practicum at an APA accredited internship consortium and I never thought about specifically noting (on my CV or elsewhere) it was an APA internship site. How much do you think site directors/reviewers care about that in particular?

A practicum, not an internship? If so, doesn't matter, prac sites aren't accredited for grad school experiences, only internship and postdoc.

I wouldn't be burning bridges this early in your possible career.

Seconded. By nearly all accounts I've heard, it seems to be a solid program, and I believe others have mentioned that they offer some types of tuition remission/stipend, which is a rarity for Psy.D. programs. Thus, I'd take all that into account and likely weigh it more heavily than one (or even a few) interactions with the training director, which whom you may have very little interaction. I can count on probably one hand the number of times I directly interacted with my clinical training director in grad school, for example.

Unless of course the training director is also who you're hoping would be your advisor.

A practicum, not an internship? If so, doesn't matter, prac sites aren't accredited for grad school experiences, only internship and postdoc.

Thanks, but I know that part. I meant if it would be even worth mentioning that the practicum was at a site that was APA approved for internships. Honestly, I am not sure if its worth putting that part on a CV.

I am also looking into applying to a PsyD Program. Can anyone provide a list of schools that are fully-funded for their PsyD Programs?!

Ah the PhD versus PsyD debate.......never ends :)

I think choosing a school is complex:

FINANCIAL: I think you need to look at the following factors: 1) Cost of a Program for 6 years, 2) Cost of living for 6 years, 3) Funding, 4) Current Savings, 5) need for loans, and 6) prospective salary. Really look at this information. These factors are huge, not just for our field, but for anyone pursuing a college degree at any level. Predatory lending is a serious issue and it can mess with all of your life plans. Thankfully, the public is becoming increasingly aware of this issue.

PROFESSIONALLY: Is the Program APA Accredited? Will the program allow me to pursue multiple paths in the field? Does it offer solid training in what you are interested in doing? What is the average time to completion? What is the cohort size? What are the data from the incoming classes? Do students get APA Accredited internships? Where are the internship placements (i.e., speaks to quality)? Do students get licensed? What is the average EPPP score for the school? I would stay away from schools with large cohorts, bad internship placements/rates, and poor EPPP stats, as this would suggest poorer training and potential limitations re: future job prospects.

LOCATION: For me this was important because of family? If you can move around, you probably find that the options for good training will increase. For me, being close to family and friends was important for Quality of Life. I think this is an underrated issue of consideration for many people.

As an aside, ERG I am curious about you how perceive the 3-4 PsyD Programs you mentioned in comparison to an average PhD program. I am not trying to start something inflamotory, but just would like to know if there is still question marks in your eyes because of the PsyD degree on a more general level.

I am also looking into applying to a PsyD Program. Can anyone provide a list of schools that are fully-funded for their PsyD Programs?!

Baylor.

That's about it - I'm not aware of any others. Rutgers has partial funding IIRC.

Guys, remember how much I was freaking out?! I applied to 7 programs and got an interview at all of them... and accepted to my top choice (Indianapolis). My only regret is not applying to more programs! This site scared me into thinking it was so out of reach for me... but all of my interviews went phenomenal.