List of Schools for AMCAS 2008 - Greatly Appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBigBP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow SDNers,
Let me first preface my post with an apology for contributing to the growing number of unique posts for commenting on list of schools; I posted on the "What are my chances thread" to no avail, and since I'll be submitting my application within a few days, I figured I'd give this a shot. I appreciate it, and best of luck to all of you!

Overall GPA: 3.87
BCPM GPA: 3.72
MCAT #1: 28 (VS 9, PS 10, BS, 9, P)
MCAT #2: 34 (VR 13, PS 10, BS 11, Q)
Major: Psychology
State: MN
ECs: Graduated 2006, in midst of taking 2 years off

WORK
- Research at medical school (~3.5 years)
- Research Assistant in clinic (~4 months)
- Clinical Research Coordinator (present)

VOLUNTEER
- Special needs athletes volunteer (~1 year)
- Health psychology study (~4 months)
- Watchful Companion in clinic (~9 months)
- Co-authored research article (in progress)

SHADOWING
- Shadowed an emergency medicine physician
- Shadowed a PA at a clinic's Center for International Health

OTHERS
- Wrote honors thesis that examined the influence of individual differences on patients' perceptions of health-related behavior
- Language tutor (~1 year)
- Tae Kwon Do coach/instructor
- Directed/wrote 20 minute film
- Founder/editor-in-chief of online film journal
- Presidential Distinguished Scholar Award
- worked part-time through undergrad

Current List of Schools
- Albert Einstein of Yeshiva University
- Columbia University
- Cornell University
- Duke University
- George Washington University
- Georgetown University
- Loyola University Chicago
- Mayo Medical School
- Medical College of Wisconsin
- Mount Sinai School of Medicine
- New York University
- Northwestern University
- SUNY Downstate
- University of Chicago
- University of Illinois
- University of Iowa
- University of Minnesota, Twin Cities

Schools on the fringe
- Rush University
- Rosalind Franklin University
- Tufts University
- Boston University (too many applicants?)
- Stanford University
- University of California, San Francisco (too much of a reach?)
- University of Pittsburgh
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Washington (no chance as an OOSer?)

Looking to apply to around 20-25 schools. As you can tell, I've been applying geographically, as I'd like to stick close to a larger city. I've been coming around to the schools in PA (Drexel, Jefferson, Penn State, Temple, Penn, Pitt) as well, so any thoughts on those are appreciated, too.

Thanks again, everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Shadowing a doctor does not replace volunteering at a hospital. You still need some clinical experience with patients in a "primary care" setting. Lacking this is a problem because it's important to actually interact with patients on your own and see what it feels like.

Also, it's typical that shadowing can't double up for clinical experience as well. Get some hospital volunteer work under your belt and you'll be set.

Shadowing a doctor does not replace volunteering at a hospital. You still need some clinical experience with patients in a "primary care" setting. Lacking this is a problem because it's important to actually interact with patients on your own and see what it feels like.

Also, it's typical that shadowing can't double up for clinical experience as well. Get some hospital volunteer work under your belt and you'll be set.

Thanks for the feedback, RealMD--sorry, my designation wasn't terribly clear: I volunteered at the University hospital for 9 months as a Watchful Companion, working directly with patients and nurses. It was a great clinical experience, one I wrote about in my personal statement. Definitely, as LizzyM put it, got close enough to smell patients.

I also am in charge of my own caseload of underserved patients at my current research job as a Clinical Research Coordinator. Just had one of my patients the other day tell me that she loves working with me. Has thus far been a rewarding, invaluable experience.

If anything, ironically, I feel as though my clinical experience is solid, and my shadowing is a little lacking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, about to submit, but I feel like I'm overdoing it. I have a lot of clinical research in my ECs, but I think I'd like to mostly focus on primary care.

University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
Mayo Clinic
Columbia University
Cornell University
New York University
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
Yeshiva University
SUNY Downstate
University of Chicago
Northwestern University
Loyola University
Rush Medical College
Duke University
Wake Forest University
Georgetown University
George Washington University
Stanford University
University of California - San Francisco
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Iowa
Tufts University
University of Pittsburgh
Drexel
Jefferson Medical College

Yikes.

Even though Rush University is private, they tend to favor in-state applicants. I noticed you had Rosalind Franklin University in your first list but decided to take that off, that would be a good "safety" school to apply if you wanted.

Even though Rush University is private, they tend to favor in-state applicants. I noticed you had Rosalind Franklin University in your first list but decided to take that off, that would be a good "safety" school to apply if you wanted.

Thanks Indioman. I was actually deciding between Rush, Rosalind, and UIC (and found a few helpful posts here about the pros-cons of all three), and felt Rush would be a good compromise. I had heard about some issues with Rosalind and its accreditation, but didn't fully look into that quite yet.

Based on your advice, I'm leaning towards making the last minute switch though. I appreciate it!

Thanks Indioman. I was actually deciding between Rush, Rosalind, and UIC (and found a few helpful posts here about the pros-cons of all three), and felt Rush would be a good compromise. I had heard about some issues with Rosalind and its accreditation, but didn't fully look into that quite yet.

Yea, RFU had been put on probation some years ago but never lost their accreditation. Since then, they have completely revamped the administration and were taken off of probation a year early because of their improvements. I believe that RFU is on an upward trend and will only improve with the current administration.

I interviewed there last December and liked the atmosphere, although some people complain that the school is too far from Chicago (it's located in a suburb about 30 min north of Chicago). The students and faculty are very friendly.