List of Silent Rejection Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muggle911

Non-magical member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know which schools are known to have silent rejections (i.e. - no communication for multiple months means you were rejected)?
Particularly, any re-applicants want to suggest some schools that never got back to them one way or another? Thanks!

-right now, the only school that I've noticed others point out multiple times is

1) Jefferson

Members don't see this ad.

im gonna throw in one too. complete since 8/18 and nothing yet and i believe same with quite a few people. since it is a rolling school and they have given out interviews for like april already im gonna say silent rejection

1) Jefferson
2) NYMC

drexel is notorious for silent rejections

1. Jefferson
2. NYMC
3. Drexel

Members don't see this ad :)
Rush won't even give you a phone number to call their admissions office.
That's as silent as they come.

1. Jefferson
2. NYMC
3. Drexel
4. Rush

Pretty sure I saw on the secondary that they won't tell you anything if they don't want you (at least, for non-MSTP).

1. Jefferson
2. NYMC
3. Drexel
4. Rush
5. Johns Hopkins

I think Temple belongs on this list also. The Philly schools seem to specialize in silent rejections.

1. Jefferson
2. NYMC
3. Drexel
4. Rush
5. Johns Hopkins
6. Temple

1. Jefferson
2. NYMC
3. Drexel
4. Rush
5. Johns Hopkins
6. Temple
7. Emory

1. Jefferson
2. NYMC
3. Drexel
4. Rush
5. Johns Hopkins
6. Temple
7. Emory
8. Northwestern

UCI never sent me anything the first time I applied...I happened to check the status page and saw the rejection.

1. Jefferson
2. NYMC
3. Drexel
4. Rush
5. Johns Hopkins
6. Temple
7. Emory
8. Northwestern
9. UC Irvine

1. Jefferson
2. NYMC
3. Drexel
4. Rush
5. Johns Hopkins
6. Temple
7. Emory

Emory does let us know that either we hear positive news or nothing until march...

1. Jefferson
2. NYMC
3. Drexel
4. Rush
5. Johns Hopkins
6. Temple
7. Emory
8. Northwestern
9. UC Irvine
10. Mount Sinai

and yeah...that was kind of rude of UCI not to even send an email or anything

1. Jefferson
2. NYMC
3. Drexel
4. Rush
5. Johns Hopkins
6. Temple
7. Emory
8. Northwestern
9. UC Irvine
10. Mount Sinai

i'm not sure but isn't columbia one? mt sinai really?!?!?!

i'm not sure but isn't columbia one? mt sinai really?!?!?!

Oh I don't know...I haven't heard a peep from them since I was complete. I guess this just could be a "we don't reject people until may" in which case, feel free to take it off if you wantt

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I don't know...I haven't heard a peep from them since I was complete. I guess this just could be a "we don't reject people until may" in which case, feel free to take it off if you wantt

nah, i don't really know. i just was holding out hope coz no rejection letter yet haha :laugh: at least they haven't rejected me (and apparently anyone else)

Emory does let us know that either we hear positive news or nothing until march...

My fault then. I know a couple people who didnt hear anything from them at all last year. You can take it off.

Fixed to remove emory:

1. Jefferson
2. NYMC
3. Drexel
4. Rush
5. Johns Hopkins
6. Temple
7. Northwestern
8. UC Irvine
9. Mount Sinai

and yeah...that was kind of rude of UCI not to even send an email or anything

Maybe its a common theme with the UCs? UCLA hasnt even given me a secondary yet, and it says nothing on my status page (its completely blank). I can only assume that its a rejection (they had my app in July). When i stayed with a student host in Chicago, he mentioned that he applied to UCSD and didnt get his rejection letter til a few months AFTER he started medical school in chicago.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Jefferson
2. NYMC
3. Drexel
4. Rush
5. Johns Hopkins
6. Temple
7. Northwestern
8. UC Irvine
9. Mount Sinai
10. UPenn
11. UCLA

Why do I feel like this list is going to be filled using anecdotes from people who are but halfway through the application process leading to much more worrying rather than anything helpful?

:rolleyes:.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe its a common theme with the UCs? UCLA hasnt even given me a secondary yet, and it says nothing on my status page (its completely blank). I can only assume that its a rejection (they had my app in July). When i stayed with a student host in Chicago, he mentioned that he applied to UCSD and didnt get his rejection letter til a few months AFTER he started medical school in chicago.

I applied to UC Davis that year also, and they got back to me. I thought the UCI thing was just a fluke, but it could be a UC-wide thing... They certainly do take their sweet ol' time...I'm still waiting to see a status-change at UCI this time around too, but it's getting late, so I'm thinking I'm going to be in Ohio 4 more years before I can get back to Cali. :cool:

i am bumping this as i was just rejected and am looking to let out a bit of steam haha which schools gives the silent snubs

^ Sorry you are incorrect. I just received a NYMC interview invite yesterday. They are indeed scheduling interviews in April.

I received an interview invite from Brown on 11/4/08 for 2/12/09. 3 months.

is tufts one? ive been complete since september and i havent heard a word.

Technically you can think of it as 2.5 months cuz all medical schools take 2 weeks off at least during the winterbreak. But that's interesting. Is brown rolling or nonrolling?

I'm pretty sure it's rolling.

I'm pretty sure it's rolling.

Brown describes itself as "slow rolling" because their class size is so small. So yes, it's rolling, but many many people are deferred or wait-listed. At least that was my impression from the Dean.

is tufts one? ive been complete since september and i havent heard a word.

Tufts is not silent, they just don't give out their rejection letters for another couple of months They had interviews up until late april last year, and I knew of people getting interview invites as late as march/early april.

I'm thinking that UCLA might be one because I've been complete for a very long time, and I haven't heard of any rejections going out yet. Thoughts?

I'm thinking that UCLA might be one because I've been complete for a very long time, and I haven't heard of any rejections going out yet. Thoughts?

I received a rejection letter from UCLA yesterday, pre-interview.

Okay, so mine'll probably get to my house today or tomorrow then. Thanks for the update!

1. Jefferson
2. NYMC
3. Drexel
4. Rush
5. Johns Hopkins
6. Temple
7. Northwestern
8. UC Irvine
9. Mount Sinai
10. UPenn
11. UCLA

i think we should change it to schools that actually never send you rejection letter ever like Jeff. I don't know how many schools will cut out. I understand that some schools don't communicate what our status is, but there aren't really silent reject schools. upenn for example tells us that we are on hold and stuff

1. Jefferson
2. NYMC
3. Drexel
4. Rush
5. Johns Hopkins
6. Temple
7. Northwestern
8. UC Irvine
9. Mount Sinai
10. UPenn
11. UCLA

i think we should change it to schools that actually never send you rejection letter ever like Jeff. I don't know how many schools will cut out. I understand that some schools don't communicate what our status is, but there aren't really silent reject schools. upenn for example tells us that we are on hold and stuff

Add University of Vermont. I ended up finding out from the status page with no email or letter. I am glad anyway though because Vermont is FREEZING:eek:

1. Jefferson
2. NYMC
3. Drexel
4. Rush
5. Johns Hopkins
6. Temple
7. Northwestern
8. UC Irvine
9. Mount Sinai
10. UPenn
11. UCLA
12. University of Vermont

Add University of Vermont. I ended up finding out from the status page with no email or letter. I am glad anyway though because Vermont is FREEZING:eek:

Try living in northern MN.

-35 last night.

I just checked my status because of this post - rejection. Oh well. :sleep:
Also, speaking of freezing, I'm in Chicago and its been at 0 degrees F or lower for the past week with snow falling every day.

I just checked my status because of this post - rejection. Oh well. :sleep:
Also, speaking of freezing, I'm in Chicago and its been at 0 degrees F or lower for the past week with snow falling every day.

Checked my status - rejected. Its good to know I guess. Best skiing location of any med school, so I am kind of disappointed.

I got a rejection letter from both Temple & Jefferson....

[/QUOTE]

1. Jefferson
2. NYMC
3. Drexel
4. Rush
5. Johns Hopkins
6. Temple
7. Northwestern
8. UC Irvine
9. Mount Sinai
10. UPenn
11. UCLA
12. University of Vermont
13. SUNY BUFFALO!
[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure I saw on the secondary that they won't tell you anything if they don't want you (at least, for non-MSTP).

1. Jefferson
2. NYMC
3. Drexel
4. Rush
5. Johns Hopkins
Then maybe I was super unqualified because I got rejected via snail mail from JHU...

ah, we should def be specifying whether these were post-secondary or post-interview, post-WL, or what.

Thought this should be bumped to increase the neuroticism around here...

P.S: I HATE the MCAT

Rush and Northwestern both send rejection emails. I know because I was rejected by both 2 years ago. Rush sent mine on March 26 and Northwestern sent mine on January 8.

Also, SUNY Buffalo rejected me about a month ago, via status and letter.

How depressing it was to write all that. lol

1. Jefferson
2. NYMC
3. Drexel
4. Johns Hopkins
5. Temple
6. UC Irvine
7. Mount Sinai
8. UPenn
9. UCLA
10. University of Vermont

Rush and Northwestern both send rejection emails. I know because I was rejected by both 2 years ago. Rush sent mine on March 26 and Northwestern sent mine on January 8.

Also, SUNY Buffalo rejected me about a month ago, via status and letter.

How depressing it was to write all that. lol

1. Jefferson
2. NYMC
3. Drexel
4. Johns Hopkins
5. Temple
6. UC Irvine
7. Mount Sinai
8. UPenn
9. UCLA
10. University of Vermont

I don't like this list at all - pretty much all the schools I haven't heard from are on it :(. Oh well...

1. Jefferson
2. NYMC
3. Drexel
4. Johns Hopkins
5. Temple
6. Mount Sinai
7. UPenn
8. UCLA
9. University of Vermont

Shouldn't non-rolling schools be an exception to this list?

Does anyone know if WashU gives silent rejections pre-interview?

Please edit OP to include the most updated list. Thanks. I applied to 3 of those schools and haven't heard a thing. UCI did send me a rejection email.

Isnt it too early to be anticipating a silent rejection? Most schools still have interviews to give.