List of tuition for each DO school (2011 Comparisons)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
73K for MSU OOS Tuition 😱. Say the CoA is 80k (probably lowballing it), 320K for 4 years! To make it even worse, a majority of that would be Graduate Plus Loans with a 4% origination fee and 7.9% A.P.R while in school. I know people always defend MSU and say that they have all these scholarships for OOSer's (which I've never seen evidence for), but even with scholarships, that's ridiculous.

Tuition + Ridiculous secondary is exactly why i have ZERO respect for MSU
 
People here laugh, but yes, salaries are going up, but that's mainly due to doctors seeing more patients.


Can I see your data on this? Because according the AMA doctors salaries haven't even kept up with inflation over the last 10 years.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can I see your data on this? Because according the AMA doctors salaries haven't even kept up with inflation over the last 10 years.
That's a different criteria. Salaries have gone up, but have they kept up with inflation? I doubt it, as practically no jobs these days do. http://www.beckershospitalreview.com/hospital-financial-and-business-news/10-current-healthcare-employment-and-compensation-trends.html

According to this, Physician salaries are expected to go up by 2.3% in 2011. For comparison, nurse salaries are expected to go up by 2.7%, but of course, that is a much smaller absolute number.
 
That's a different criteria. Salaries have gone up, but have they kept up with inflation? I doubt it, as practically no jobs these days do. http://www.beckershospitalreview.co...hcare-employment-and-compensation-trends.html

According to this, Physician salaries are expected to go up by 2.3% in 2011. For comparison, nurse salaries are expected to go up by 2.7%, but of course, that is a much smaller absolute number.


When salaries don't keep up with inflation it becomes a pay cut, so while I would agree that salaries are increasing, they are also steadily decreasing since the value of the dollar is decreasing faster than their pay raises. There are definitely other fields that have this problem as well, but that doesn't take away from the fact that pay is not technically increasing, but rather decreasing.

http://www.fiercehealthcare.com/story/study-physician-compensation-not-keeping-inflation/2009-06-23

Shows some of the deficits.

Even looking at the link you provided, assuming 4% inflation, physicians are at a deficit of 1.7%.
 
If UNECOM tuition is a relatively average $44,900, how do these students end up being most indebted in the nation?
 
73K for MSU OOS Tuition 😱. Say the CoA is 80k (probably lowballing it), 320K for 4 years! To make it even worse, a majority of that would be Graduate Plus Loans with a 4% origination fee and 7.9% A.P.R while in school. I know people always defend MSU and say that they have all these scholarships for OOSer's (which I've never seen evidence for), but even with scholarships, that's ridiculous.

http://www.com.msu.edu/ss/scholarships.html

"Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine Non-Resident Student Scholarship" - Gives IS rates for OOS students. Applies to three years of school. It's extremely competitive to get it (about seven people get it).

IMO you'd be crazy to attend without that scholarship or a military scholarship - though the cost ends up being around the same as anyone attending UNECOM aka ridiculously expensive. Don't let people tell you the cost of school does not matter. Of course MSU intentionally favors IS students since it's a state funded school and wants to create graduates who stick around.
 
http://www.com.msu.edu/ss/scholarships.html

"Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine Non-Resident Student Scholarship" - Gives IS rates for OOS students. Applies to three years of school. It's extremely competitive to get it (about seven people get it).

IMO you'd be crazy to attend without that scholarship or a military scholarship - though the cost ends up being around the same as anyone attending UNECOM aka ridiculously expensive. Don't let people tell you the cost of school does not matter. Of course MSU intentionally favors IS students since it's a state funded school and wants to create graduates who stick around.

Yeah, what a dilemma that would be. Imagine, applied to 10 schools, only MSUCOM accepts you. I'd probably go there, though 320k for tuition is really pushing it.
 
Yeah, what a dilemma that would be. Imagine, applied to 10 schools, only MSUCOM accepts you. I'd probably go there, though 320k for tuition is really pushing it.

lol. Well IMO - primary care and lowering paying specialities would be out of the question at that point. Ironically, literally all of the OOS students I know at MSU are interested in ortho :laugh:

Also I know the majority of D.O. schools are private but damn the tuition is absurd at most of them.
 
When salaries don't keep up with inflation it becomes a pay cut, so while I would agree that salaries are increasing, they are also steadily decreasing since the value of the dollar is decreasing faster than their pay raises. There are definitely other fields that have this problem as well, but that doesn't take away from the fact that pay is not technically increasing, but rather decreasing.

http://www.fiercehealthcare.com/story/study-physician-compensation-not-keeping-inflation/2009-06-23

Shows some of the deficits.

Even looking at the link you provided, assuming 4% inflation, physicians are at a deficit of 1.7%.

That's assuming 4% which inflation is nowhere near(try sub 2%). 4% inflation would be a level which hasn't been seen in the US since the 70's. When prices go up and wages stagnate or go down is is stagflation and that is a very serious problem that will make the news nightly. Strictly speaking as physicians you occupy the top 5% of earners(top 1% in many specialties) and economic trends have favored this group more than any other in the last 20 years. Given the loans ill have I would invite some serious inflation, it would make repayment less painful.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Its actually really cool/depressing to see this increase of price over the years. Has the teaching at these schools gotten that much better to justify the 10K price bump?

Not by that much.

I will admit the students at AZCOM are really bright and the school spends a good amount of resources reevaluating how things are going.

I remember the dean mentioned they take feedback from preceptorship and see how to improve. It was the only place that mentioned they are constantly trying to improve.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Its actually really cool/depressing to see this increase of price over the years. Has the teaching at these schools gotten that much bettr to justify the 10K price bump?
No, its greed plain and simple. Your professors and preceptors probably care about you to the owners of the school your just cashflow. Even Ivy leagues with their high tuition give lots of aid to those that cannot afford it.
 
I think most of this money goes toward high-up admin that keep poking and prodding that poor old PhD whose english is his 4th language to "Teach, Teach!" When we all know he's at Private University's COM teaching because no self-respecting undergraduate biology department was willing to roll the dice on a lecturer that rambles about god-only-knows-what for 50 minutes before he realizes that he's on slide 4 of 45.
 
I think most of this money goes toward high-up admin that keep poking and prodding that poor old PhD whose english is his 4th language to "Teach, Teach!" When we all know he's at Private University's COM teaching because no self-respecting undergraduate biology department was willing to roll the dice on a lecturer that rambles about god-only-knows-what for 50 minutes before he realizes that he's on slide 4 of 45.

Ouch, do I detect some bitterness? Yeah, the few lectures we actually have aren't really like that here. You're making me glad I chose a PBL curriculum.

That said, don't be so down on your prof, I'm sure he'd get a job at a number of undergrad places, but at COMP he gets to shape the minds of future healers! (only partly joking - I'm sure that's why some people work at med schools as opposed to CCs or random small colleges)
 
After seeing these COM tuition, I guess I should stop complaining about my 32k/year... I think WVSOM has not had an increase, but 50k in 2012 and 50k now is still ridiculous...
 
Ouch, do I detect some bitterness? Yeah, the few lectures we actually have aren't really like that here. You're making me glad I chose a PBL curriculum.

That said, don't be so down on your prof, I'm sure he'd get a job at a number of undergrad places, but at COMP he gets to shape the minds of future healers! (only partly joking - I'm sure that's why some people work at med schools as opposed to CCs or random small colleges)

haha, yes some bitterness. I was shocked when I found out that I was paying top-dollar for some really, really awful lectures. Some are ok. Some are just downright pathetic. They literally have no business mumbling in front of a crowd and confusing themselves in their explanations. A few are phenomenal! I've never encountered such lecture incompetence in my 1 CC and 2 state universities college career.

You said it best on another thread, ultimately we're each responsible for our own education. I rely probably 60-70% on outside resources for my education. Which is sad because we're basically paying the school to certify that we've jumped through the appropriate hoops--Not to teach us much.
 
...You said it best on another thread, ultimately we're each responsible for our own education. I rely probably 60-70% on outside resources for my education. Which is sad because we're basically paying the school to certify that we've jumped through the appropriate hoops--Not to teach us much.

Yeah. That's med school. Its definitely mostly on us.