list preferable prometric centers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Holden21

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posts on this site have shown not all testing sites are created equal. Examples would be erasable board given out instead of scratch paper, marking pens that dry up instead of pencils, distracting noise,(while some sites offer headphones) proctors that holler if you get too close to the monitor (others have admitted "touching" their screen with no reaction; although I would not have the guts to do that),and nightmare tales of computers freezing and answers being erased. Also, resolution is an issue during the PATs and some sites it would seem have better monitors than others. With these variables, wouldn't it make sense for us to start a list of those sites found to be better and those not so good? Naturally, no one would travel too far just to be tested at a better rated site and things can go wrong wherever you are, but if one site in my state were rated better by those who knew from experience; I would drive a little further to go there. Wouldn't you? We do everything else to give ourselves an edge. (This is going to be my second time so I want all the help I can get.)
Here's my critique of my first site: Mt. Laurel, N.J.
scratch paper: was given regular yellow scratch paper and regular pencil
Moniter: Not great screen resolution-really had problems
Proctor: Ok. We were watched but nobody told anyone they were too close to the screen and I don't think they said anything about not touching the screen. (I don't think anyone did touch the screen)
Noise: Pretty noisy and distracting, especially during RC portion of test. Day care next door (summertime). Kids were playing. No headphones offered. did not know ear plug trick yet.
If anyone knows good site in New Jersey or near Lancaster, Pa., let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

My Prometric center kicked ass.

Site: Irvine, California: StoneCreek Plaze on Barranca. Funny thing about this place is there are 5 dental clinics in the same building complex right next door to one another. I kept wondering how they make any money since they have to split the patient pool 5 ways? Then I saw that each dentistry was for each race. Dr. Le for the chinese, Dr. Farhad for the persians, some other doctor for the white people, and etc.

scratch paper: blue packet with 2 pencils.
Moniter: the moniter was atleast 17 inch if not 19/ Really sharp.
Proctor: you really don't even notice them because your in a cubicle and they are in an entirely other room. We had an old lady and a young dude, they were helpful and minded their own buisness.
Noise: No noise, but if that's not good enough for you there are headphones at every computer.

If your in Orange County, I suggest you take it here.

What are the headphones for? To cancel any noise? So did YOU touch the screen?

briansle said:
My Prometric center kicked ass.

Site: Irvine, California: StoneCreek Plaze on Barranca. Funny thing about this place is there are 5 dental clinics in the same building complex right next door to one another. I kept wondering how they make any money since they have to split the patient pool 5 ways? Then I saw that each dentistry was for each race. Dr. Le for the chinese, Dr. Farhad for the persians, some other doctor for the white people, and etc.

scratch paper: blue packet with 2 pencils.
Moniter: the moniter was atleast 17 inch if not 19/ Really sharp.
Proctor: you really don't even notice them because your in a cubicle and they are in an entirely other room. We had an old lady and a young dude, they were helpful and minded their own buisness.
Noise: No noise, but if that's not good enough for you there are headphones at every computer.

If your in Orange County, I suggest you take it here.

taking it there in 2 weeks... :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the exam in Mt. Laurel, New Jersey & there were no headphones. I have read in other posts, however,that some sites offer them to block out noise. (see the post below about the California test site) And no, I did not personally touch the screen. (Believe me, my PAT score sucked!)My proctor never said we could not touch the screen, but I would not done so regardless; I would be too afraid alarms would go off and the "DAT Police" would void my test. If you check other posts on the PATs, others have questioned the legality of touching the screen and have said they put pieces of their scratch paper up to the screen to measure close angles; they claimed there was no written law against touching the screen; they said it was only a rule made up by the individual testing sites and haphazardly enforced. Even if it is not a written law, I still think common sense would dictate that using anything (even your fingernail) to measure or compare an angle would be cheating. The ADEA site clearly says you can not bring rulers or other measuring devices into the center with you, so wouldn't using a piece of the paper given to you as a ruler clearly be illegal?

I think that you are allowed to use ear plugs I did not because I did not know about it before reading posts here. I can't think why you could not use them. Others have said it just helps you to concentrate. If some centers offer headphones, why not use ear plugs? I sure could have used them when I was listening to little kids playing as I took my RC section.

Austin, TX. I am taking it on Tuesday and called ahead because everyone on this board has me freaked out. The lady on the phone told me the following:

- No yellow dry erase board, that is for dental students, not DAT folks.
- Headphones
- Up to 5 pencils at a time
- As much paper as requested. Will get only a book with 4 sheets unless you ask for more. They will replenish if you raise your hand.
- Can touch the screen. They clean them after each test.
- Can start early if you get there early.

The Prometric Center I tested at is 1 Penn Plaza in NYC. They provided us with plenty of scratch paper (one packet at a time) and pencils... and headphones to block out excess noise, which there was none. BUT my computer crashed and some of my answers were deleted, so that was a traumatic experience, which I'm still trying to fix. However, they are VERY strict... I guess they are everywhere but the proctor was like, you can't play with your hair (which I do habitually) or move your watch around on your wrist... or roll your sleeves up. You have to remain the way you are when you walk out. LoLz... quite strict, I would say

The Prometric Centier in Ithaca, NY is great. They went through great lengths to explain the rules to me, and did not get frustrated when I asked the same questions over and over. The lady working there also suggested I sit and chill for about 20 minutes before taking the test because I was VERY nervous. The only problem is that Ithaca is one the most isolated cities in the world; unless you go to one of the two schools in Ithaca it is would be a huge pain to get there.

Does anyone have any imput about the southern cali test sites: glendale or cerritos....how strict they are, paper situ, noise level, etc. Thanks!!

Would any of you recommend taking the test where the proctor is extremely lazy and never picks up her phone?

The Prometric Center I tested at is 1 Penn Plaza in NYC. They provided us with plenty of scratch paper (one packet at a time) and pencils... and headphones to block out excess noise, which there was none. BUT my computer crashed and some of my answers were deleted, so that was a traumatic experience, which I'm still trying to fix. However, they are VERY strict... I guess they are everywhere but the proctor was like, you can't play with your hair (which I do habitually) or move your watch around on your wrist... or roll your sleeves up. You have to remain the way you are when you walk out. LoLz... quite strict, I would say

What was the brand name of the computer?

I am going to start my own thread for the So. Cal prometric centers. I took mine last summer at the Redlands prometric center. I took this on a saturday I believe. I never touched the screen, and not sure what their thoughts are of it. Overall this place wasn't too bad...but the thing is the prometric center at Redlands is right next to (basically in the same room) as an afterschool tutoring place ( i think it was Sylvan learning) so i would imagine during the schooldays afternoon, it would be sifting with kids and possibly noise.

Noise: quiet, there were maybe 3 other people taking an exam there. Headphones were provided.

Proctor: no complains about him, some old guy that didn't bother you.

Monitors: I believe they were flatscreen CRT moniters..the moniter was decent, but could've been one with better resolution.

Scratch Paper: 2 white sheets