Listed only 11 activities on AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharkbyte

Take me to the top
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So on my primary I filled up 11 of the 15 activities slots. I do have meaningful clinical, research, volunteering, work and EC experience but I'm not sure if having just 11 will be considered a red flag?

I'm asking because I've heard conflicting things. I've seen some people say "it's fine" and "once you get past a certain number it's basically the same as having 14 or 15" but I've also seen others say things along the lines of "You'll be competing against people who'll have 15 robust activities so you should really evaluate whether you're ready to apply."

FWIW, I did combine two different research internships at the same institute into one entry, and also combined two different Executive Board positions with the same organization into one entry.

Any thoughts? Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

Few members here filled only 8-9 activities slots and still managed to get IIs from numerous medical schools. 11 isn't a problem.

And as @Goro says, 13=15, so 11 is plenty.

What's important is to ensure each activity slot is substantial and well-described. Adcoms don't like to see activity slots being filled with filler/fluff information just for the sake of reaching 15.

Reactions: 1 user
I only filled in like 6 or 7 activities, but I invested between 300 and 3,500 hours into each. I believe it is better to show commitment to a few things that are important to you than be superficially involved in everything for the sake of an application. As long as you can show your passion and preparation through the activities you should be fine!

Members don't see this ad :)
In one of the LizzyM "ask me anything" threads, she said that 9-13 activities is the common range, and she is at a top school.

I had 10 and received many interviews. Seriously quit worrying. Quality >>>> Quantity.

Yeah I did maybe 10 activities, and 2 were hobbies. As long as you've got some substantial activities you should be set.

It's fine. Don't worry about it

I don't think you fully understand what a "red flag" is.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for all the input! I am not a troll, I was just concerned because I already know one of the schools to which I've applied has said publicly (in a presentation) that "If you do not have 15 activities, we are going to assume something is wrong with your application). I'm not going to worry about it though.

Wow!

This thread has actually been an eye opener for me. Never occurred to me people would do less then 15; clearly better than filling in superfluous activities.

I was just concerned because I already know one of the schools to which I've applied has said publicly (in a presentation) that "If you do not have 15 activities, we are going to assume something is wrong with your application)..
that's.....kind of a bizarre thing to say imo

Hey guys,

So on my primary I filled up 11 of the 15 activities slots. I do have meaningful clinical, research, volunteering, work and EC experience but I'm not sure if having just 11 will be considered a red flag?

I'm asking because I've heard conflicting things. I've seen some people say "it's fine" and "once you get past a certain number it's basically the same as having 14 or 15" but I've also seen others say things along the lines of "You'll be competing against people who'll have 15 robust activities so you should really evaluate whether you're ready to apply."

FWIW, I did combine two different research internships at the same institute into one entry, and also combined two different Executive Board positions with the same organization into one entry.

Any thoughts? Thanks for the input!
Had 11 as well and have IIs. They'ld rather see 11 really good, meaningful ecs than 15 of the 1 semester long club member stuff

Thanks for all the input! I am not a troll, I was just concerned because I already know one of the schools to which I've applied has said publicly (in a presentation) that "If you do not have 15 activities, we are going to assume something is wrong with your application). I'm not going to worry about it though.
I remember reading this at some schools blog thing, I forget which. You should ignore them.