listerine toothpaste

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

comatose

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone else tried this stuff. man, it's awesome. not only has it whitened my teeth a couple of shades, but it creates long lasting fresh breath, and i feel that it really cleans my mouth (unlike crest or colgate toothpastes). the only problem is that the stuff sells for $3.50 a pop.

Members don't see this ad.

I would be careful with any whitening toothpaste. They usually have one of two methods of action. The first is just a topical coating that adds white material to the tooth, sort of like a paint job. This is obviously only a temporary solution. The second is being extra abrasive and removing more extrinsic stains. You have to be careful with abrasive toothpaste since you can remove enamel and dentin and abrade your gingiva. You can have most extrinsic stainingly more safely removed at your dentists office by having whats commonly referred to as a polishing done.

Has anybody else witnessed this?

When I use whitening toothpaste, especially Crest Dual Action Whitening, my lips and inner mouth start to peel. Or maybe its not peeling, but I get these sticky, strechy, things that resemble snot.

What is that??

Members don't see this ad :)
shawn,

i had the same thing happen to me afew months ago when i was using the listerine toothpaste. i don't think its anything serious. but it did make me wonder too.

btw, isn't listerine also very good for gingivitis protection?

listerine=alcohol=burning=BAD for the tissue!

Originally posted by ItsGavinC
And thus people should not consume alcohol.

Damn it...I was about to have a Stoli on the rocks with a lime!

Originally posted by aphistis
"...NOT!"

</Wayne's World>

sources to back it up? (arn't you always the one who's asking for sources and hard stats?)

aphistis,
I don't dispute the references you list... however, each one relates only to ingested alcohol. The directions listed on Listerine indicate that it is to be used as a rinse for 30 seconds, and it explicitly directs, "Do not swallow."
I'm sure UNLV does teach the link between alcohol and periodontitis. Doesn't your school teach the link between bacteria and perio dz?

Well said Dientes. Whats more your last reference is all about cardiovascular disease with no mention of alcohol. I would be careful before starting to imply things about other schools, it tends to upset people.

UNLV- Sounds like we were approaching the question from two different perspectives, and neither of us clarified to the other. I wasn't trying to be inflammatory. It sounded to me like you had some information that drinking might not be as compromising as I'd been told. The last couple posts before that one put me in the mindset of alcohol consumption, not necessarily just rinsing. My mistake.

Dientes- what are these "bacteria" thingies you're talking about?

Fair enough. Bottom line is...Don't smoke crack cause it's definately bad for soft tissue.