Listing embargoed abstracts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Endoxifen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got a notification that both my abstracts got accepted to this national/international (can't really tell) oncology meeting in the fall. They have an embargo on abstracts until November, but I'm applying to a bunch of scholarships (Rhodes, etc.) in October. Is this something I can list, or do I have to keep it quiet? I've asked my PI, but he's out of the country for a while and I'm a bit impatient. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@Goro, do you know what the best course of action would be? Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you going to list them w/o detailing content? The content is embargoed, correct?
I'm genuinely unsure. The website says that the embargo for abstracts is lifted on X date. That's all. I've never done this before, so I'm not entirely sure how this all works.

Depending on the scientific conference, an embargo on an abstract may mean that you either cannot release any information contained within the abstract itself and/or any information beyond what is within the abstract. You can certainly list that your abstract has been accepted to the conference and give a brief overview of your project on AMCAS without going into the details much. The point of an embargo is to safeguard the novelty of a project and to prevent people from presenting the same thing many times. Simply listing that the abstract was accepted and providing a brief overview of the project - without even needing to go into the results - is sufficient on AMCAS. The chance that you would be sanctioned even for going into more detail is pretty low since this wouldn't be going against the purpose of the embargo in the first place. The only exception is if you're working on governmental projects (DoD, DoE, etc. type stuff) - then you run in legal issues if you present it publicly without their knowledge. Most people on here are working on biomedical stuff though so that doesn't apply.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm genuinely unsure. The website says that the embargo for abstracts is lifted on X date. That's all. I've never done this before, so I'm not entirely sure how this all works.

Read the journal's embargo policy. Does it say that the content of the abstract is embargoed or any content beyond the abstract?

Read the journal's embargo policy. Does it say that the content of the abstract is embargoed or any content beyond the abstract?
I'm having difficulty finding it. The only thing that I found besides the end date of the embargo are the guidelines for science journalists concerning the embargo, but that doesn't really apply to me. Maybe the embargo is for them and not me?

Having an abstract accepted to a conference will not make much difference in your application- certainly not before it's presented. In your situation, I would suggest simply asking your PI to mention it in his letter.

Having an abstract accepted to a conference will not make much difference in your application- certainly not before it's presented. In your situation, I would suggest simply asking your PI to mention it in his letter.
A. This is for scholarship applications. B. Saying that I shouldn't list a conference presentation is like saying you shouldn't list any EC because they individually won't make a significant difference. Clearly that's an asinine line of reasoning and it should be listed if for no other reason than to further give my associated publications legitimacy.

Reactions: 2 users
A. This is for scholarship applications. B. Saying that I shouldn't list a conference presentation is like saying you shouldn't list any EC because they individually won't make a significant difference. Clearly that's an asinine line of reasoning and it should be listed if for no other reason than to further give my associated publications legitimacy.
No need to get defensive. I've applied to (and received) one of the major UK Scholarships you seem to be interested in, so I was just chiming in, as you have asked for advice. You are not required to take it. I've never heard of an abstract getting rejected from a conference, having presented at 20+ inter/national ones at various stages of numerous projects. I'm just saying it's nothing to stress about, one way or the other.

No need to get defensive. I've applied to (and received) one of the major UK Scholarships you seem to be interested in, so I was just chiming in, as you have asked for advice. You are not required to take it. I've never heard of an abstract getting rejected from a conference, having presented at 20+ inter/national ones at various stages of numerous projects. I'm just saying it's nothing to stress about, one way or the other.

Submitting abstracts is competitive. I don't know how long you've been in research, but having abstracts rejected from a conference isn't unheard of or even uncommon. As with journals, there are prestigious conferences and non-prestigious conferences. For instance, getting an abstract accepted at a Gordon conference is competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitting abstracts is competitive. I don't know how long you've been in research, but having abstracts rejected from a conference isn't unheard of or even uncommon. As with journals, there are prestigious conferences and non-prestigious conferences. For instance, getting an abstract accepted at a Gordon conference is competitive.
Ahhh yes, the golden Gordon Conference...I dream about having my work presented there one day.

Ahhh yes, the golden Gordon Conference...I dream about having my work presented there one day.

I love them! They're really nice forums to meet other leading people in your field because they're smaller and topic-focused. In contrast, the national ACS conference is really hard to meet people at because of the sheer number of people there - you actually have to make an effort to meet people.

I love them! They're really nice forums to meet other leading people in your field because they're smaller and topic-focused. In contrast, the national ACS conference is really hard to meet people at because of the sheer number of people there - you actually have to make an effort to meet people.
Couldn't have said it better. It is hard to meet the people you're interested in sometimes, especially if its a prominent scientist who runs a famous lab. Their talks are always packed and you can't get a minute with them!

We are in different disciplines. I have been to discipline-specific conferences that range from <100 people to >30,000 and had my work accepted as an undergraduate, even with data from pilot studies. Gordon is the exception that comes to mind, in that the legacy and legitimacy of the lab really matters. To clarify, I am not discouraging OP from mentioning his accepted-- not presented-- abstract, just saying it likely won't carry much weight and there's no need to lose sleep over the dilemma.

We are in different disciplines. I have been to discipline-specific conferences that range from <100 people to >30,000 and had my work accepted as an undergraduate, even with data from pilot studies. Gordon is the exception that comes to mind, in that the legacy and legitimacy of the lab really matters. To clarify, I am not discouraging OP from mentioning his accepted-- not presented-- abstract, just saying it likely won't carry much weight and there's no need to lose sleep over the dilemma.

Which discipline are you in in which abstracts don't get rejected? I'm in chemistry, for perspective. OP's abstract was accepted, which implies that he or she will be presenting it at said national conference. That's usually how these things work. It is more important than nothing but not as important than a publication - whether that will carry any weight isn't for any of us to decide.

This might give a bit too much information away, but it's the Society for Neuro-Oncology meeting. My PI said competition's really intense and he said going 2/2 your rookie year is "Cy Young Award material," if that means anything to you. I don't really follow baseball:D.

This might give a bit too much information away, but it's the Society for Neuro-Oncology meeting. My PI said competition's really intense and he said going 2/2 your rookie year is "Cy Young Award material," if that means anything to you. I don't really follow baseball:D.

Lol, this is why I thought the above poster's comment was odd. I don't know of any field - in chemistry, physics, or molecular biology - though I'm not as acquainted with the clinical disciplines, in which getting an abstract accepted at a national conference wasn't competitive at all (as in everybody is accepted).

Lol, this is why I thought the above poster's comment was odd. I don't know of any field - in chemistry, physics, or molecular biology - though I'm not as acquainted with the clinical disciplines, in which getting an abstract accepted at a national conference wasn't competitive at all (as in everybody is accepted).
Yeah, I honestly though the other guy was a gunner considering how weird his advice was.

Yeah, I honestly though the other guy was a gunner considering how weird his advice was.
*Girl.
Neuroscience. No where did I say everyone gets accepted to these conferences, but rather that odds of acceptance are frankly quite high. The value of conferences is in the conversations you have there; they are not awards to collect. I have already applied for (and received) one of the awards you are presumably interested in, and I am just letting you know this won't be the factor that sets you apart. And since you are so convinced that the world and its gunners are out to get you, I did suggest you ask your PI to mention it in his letter, did I not?

Neuroscience. No where did I say everyone gets accepted to these conferences, but rather that odds of acceptance are frankly quite high. The value of conferences is in the conversations you have there; they are not awards to collect. I have already applied for (and received) one of the awards you are presumably interested in, and I am just letting you know this won't be the factor that sets you apart. And since you are so convinced that the world and its gunners are out to get you, I did suggest you ask your PI to mention it in his letter, did I not?

The bolded part implies that you think all abstracts are accepted, as you've, based on your extensive experience, never heard of an abstract ever getting rejected. I apologize if I misinterpreted it. I understand you are giving advice from the standpoint of someone who has received one of those competitive international scholarships (congratulations on it). I am giving advice as a post-doc who has also presented at multiple national conferences in the fields of chemistry and chemical biology - and I have definitely heard of abstracts getting rejected. An accepted abstract is an accomplishment for an undergraduate because it is validation that the work the undergraduate is purportedly doing is (1) actual substantive work and (2) significant enough to warrant presentation at a conference (PI must approve of it). It's not going to be as important as a publication but it's better than having nothing to show for your work.

When we evaluate potential graduate students (as PIs across the pond must do when deciding who to short-list for those scholarships), we evaluate them based on productivity - broadly interpreted. Of course having a publication is the best example of productivity. But at the undergraduate level, that takes a lot of work, dedication, and being in the right place at the right time. Having a poster at a national conference is another, albeit less prestigious, indicator of productivity. No PI is going to let their name be on a BS project at a national conference. Having a poster means that your work has significance and you're making progress on it. Moreover, you have contributed a substantial amount to it - usually one of the key contributors to the project will present it (first or second author). So it will definitely make an impact on your impression on the PI who you're going to work for - it may not make a difference for the Rhodes or Gates, etc. committees because they're evaluating you for the scholarship but it will make a difference for the PI who is evaluating your research potential.

The bolded part implies that you think all abstracts are accepted, as you've, based on your extensive experience, never heard of an abstract ever getting rejected. I apologize if I misinterpreted it. I understand you are giving advice from the standpoint of someone who has received one of those competitive international scholarships (congratulations on it). I am giving advice as a post-doc who has also presented at multiple national conferences in the fields of chemistry and chemical biology - and I have definitely heard of abstracts getting rejected. An accepted abstract is an accomplishment for an undergraduate because it is validation that the work the undergraduate is purportedly doing is (1) actual substantive work and (2) significant enough to warrant presentation at a conference (PI must approve of it). It's not going to be as important as a publication but it's better than having nothing to show for your work.

When we evaluate potential graduate students (as PIs across the pond must do when deciding who to short-list for those scholarships), we evaluate them based on productivity - broadly interpreted. Of course having a publication is the best example of productivity. But at the undergraduate level, that takes a lot of work, dedication, and being in the right place at the right time. Having a poster at a national conference is another, albeit less prestigious, indicator of productivity. No PI is going to let their name be on a BS project at a national conference. Having a poster means that your work has significance and you're making progress on it. Moreover, you have contributed a substantial amount to it - usually one of the key contributors to the project will present it (first or second author). So it will definitely make an impact on your impression on the PI who you're going to work for - it may not make a difference for the Rhodes or Gates, etc. committees because they're evaluating you for the scholarship but it will make a difference for the PI who is evaluating your research potential.

I think we can both agree that accepted abstracts are certainly better than nothing, but not as good as presentations nor publications. That's all I'm saying.

I think we can both agree that accepted abstracts are certainly better than nothing, but not as good as presentations nor publications. That's all I'm saying.

I agree - except in the vast majority of cases, abstracts are the forerunners of the posters people will give at the conference. It's kind of the same thing with the exception that the conference just hasn't happened yet. Unless you're making the distinction of actual presentation during the conference where you get a room and actually present to an audience on your work.

I agree - except in the vast majority of cases, abstracts are the forerunners of the posters people will give at the conference. It's kind of the same thing with the exception that the conference just hasn't happened yet. Unless you're making the distinction of actual presentation during the conference where you get a room and actually present to an audience on your work.
Yes, that's fair. Though, speaking as someone who just had to cancel a conference trip due to visa issues (such a bummer), I can say it doesn't always carry through to the end..So I won't be including this conference in my applications-- even with a published abstract-- as it's not interview-worthy material, imo. I suppose if there is anything to be gleaned from this thread, it is that different people have different ways of assessing productivity. For the sake of both the OP and myself, I sure hope medical schools at least take your point of view!

If it helps, my abstract was accepted with ththe assurance that I will either be presenting a poster or a proper stage presentation. I'll be hearing back in the next few weeks which one they want me to do.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, that's fair. Though, speaking as someone who just had to cancel a conference trip due to visa issues (such a bummer), I can say it doesn't always carry through to the end..So I won't be including this conference in my applications-- even with a published abstract-- as it's not interview-worthy material, imo. I suppose if there is anything to be gleaned from this thread, it is that different people have different ways of assessing productivity. For the sake of both the OP and myself, I sure hope medical schools at least take your point of view!

You should list the accepted abstract! The fact that you had to cancel the trip doesn't mean that you didn't do good science - it should be recognized! But if you have multiple publications and/or presentations already, then I guess one more has less marginal value than for someone who doesn't have any or has only a few.