Listing monetary amounts for scholarship on CV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrbitalOverload

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was recently asked to send out a CV for a competitive research application and paused at the question of whether to include the amount of my merit scholarship award in medical school. I was awarded $160K over 4 years, which is more than 85% tuition.

I know that researchers put grant amounts on their CVs (and that this reflects their grant writing, and various otherskills), but nonetheless, I think that this unfortunately unendowed merit scholarship is a big distinguisher between myself and someone who received $4000 or no scholarship at all. In fact, it was the major factor that led me to choose my mid-upper tier school over other upper tier schools.

Advice/thoughts appreciated.

TLDR; Is it considered tacky to list scholarship amount on CV if I am getting 160K over four years.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I've never seen someone list a monetary value for a scholarship on a CV, however, I don't necessarily think it's wrong to do so to distinguish an award like yours from a scholarship that gives 1000 bucks.
Pretty much every doctor does their CV a little bit differently and it's not like a resume where it's precise and very regimented. It's basically just a list of all the crap you've done. I'd say it's up to you but I may put it in there as "Medical School Merit Scholarship - 85% of tuition" rather than list a dollar amount.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with above. Put "ABC School of Medicine Scholarship" - Merit-based 85% tuition scholarship or something like that.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Write "full tuition merit scholarship" or something like that. Putting a dollar amount shows a lack of perspective and judgement.

Also, you run the risking of pissing off a faculty member who is still paying off med school loans. Like it or not, this kind of petty stuff happens, and a lot of docs who are deeply in debt have a chip on their shoulder towards those who came out with no loans. This is why it is rare to hear someone declare they have no debt (even though there is a sizeable chunk of debt-less graduates) whereas those who are in debt freely mention at literally any occasion. Schadenfreude.

Reactions: 1 user
Putting a dollar amount shows a lack of perspective and judgement.
48.gif

Hi All,

I was recently asked to send out a CV for a competitive research application and paused at the question of whether to include the amount of my merit scholarship award in medical school. I was awarded $160K over 4 years, which is more than 85% tuition.

I know that researchers put grant amounts on their CVs (and that this reflects their grant writing, and various otherskills), but nonetheless, I think that this unfortunately unendowed merit scholarship is a big distinguisher between myself and someone who received $4000 or no scholarship at all. In fact, it was the major factor that led me to choose my mid-upper tier school over other upper tier schools.

Advice/thoughts appreciated.

TLDR; Is it considered tacky to list scholarship amount on CV if I am getting 160K over four years.

Thank you
The bolded is definitely tacky lol.

wow you go to a mid upper tier school
can i have your autograph

wow you go to a mid upper tier school
can i have your autograph

Only if you give me yours. I'm really impressed by sarcastic people on the internet

Sounds like you're more impressed with yourself than anything else

What kind of perspective and judgement leads one to leave off the size of a scholarship on one's curriculum vitae?

real life experience: I was specifically congratulated on the dollar amount of my scholarship during interviews. Definitely brought up as something to be proud of.

What kind of perspective and judgement leads one to leave off the size of a scholarship on one's curriculum vitae?

Feel free to use the word "substantial merit-based award," but by no means should you ever put in a dollar amount.

You picked the scholarship for financial reasons, not prestige. Unless you're a Rhodes scholar, you don't get to have it both ways. As someone who literally got paid a small fortune to go to undergrad, trust me when I tell you that the scholarship means almost nothing. Performance does.

Here's just a few perspectives that might resonate with you:
1. Med school admissions are random at best. I know amazing applicants who didn't get in anywhere. I know horrible people who went to ivy league schools. I've never met a medical professional who judged anyone for the medical school that they went to. No one will judge you for going to a "mid upper tier" school.

2. Your school won't make or break whether you get anything. Your record of success will. If it were the other way around, kids from Harvard would be sucking up all of the scholarships and fellowships. They certainly aren't lacking the ambition.

3. Adding the value of your award will make the reviewer think you feel superior to and/or insecure about your school. If you really feel superior, then prove it with performance. That's something the reviewer will see and look fondly on.

Finally, realize that we're all headed to the same place, the MD. The only difference is that you and I will have less debt and more freedom. For that, we should be forever grateful. The second best part of scholarships, to me at least, is that they push you to reach your potential, they challenge you to earn the money that someone arbitrarily decided to give you. Your school made an investment in you. Show that you're worth it and you'll never have to worry about putting in a $ amount.

I know its tough to compromise on a school for the money, but trust me when I say its worth it. Watch people's eyes light up when you tell them you got a scholarship to medical school. People will think you're a unicorn.

Members don't see this ad :)
All I'm hearing in this thread is that some people think dollar amounts are tacky when it comes to scholarships but for some reason dollars on research grants are expected.

Feel free to use the word "substantial merit-based award," but by no means should you ever put in a dollar amount.

You picked the scholarship for financial reasons, not prestige. Unless you're a Rhodes scholar, you don't get to have it both ways. As someone who literally got paid a small fortune to go to undergrad, trust me when I tell you that the scholarship means almost nothing. Performance does.

Here's just a few perspectives that might resonate with you:
1. Med school admissions are random at best. I know amazing applicants who didn't get in anywhere. I know horrible people who went to ivy league schools. I've never met a medical professional who judged anyone for the medical school that they went to. No one will judge you for going to a "mid upper tier" school.

2. Your school won't make or break whether you get anything. Your record of success will. If it were the other way around, kids from Harvard would be sucking up all of the scholarships and fellowships. They certainly aren't lacking the ambition.

3. Adding the value of your award will make the reviewer think you feel superior to and/or insecure about your school. If you really feel superior, then prove it with performance. That's something the reviewer will see and look fondly on.

Finally, realize that we're all headed to the same place, the MD. The only difference is that you and I will have less debt and more freedom. For that, we should be forever grateful. The second best part of scholarships, to me at least, is that they push you to reach your potential, they challenge you to earn the money that someone arbitrarily decided to give you. Your school made an investment in you. Show that you're worth it and you'll never have to worry about putting in a $ amount.

I know its tough to compromise on a school for the money, but trust me when I say its worth it. Watch people's eyes light up when you tell them you got a scholarship to medical school. People will think you're a unicorn.

Real quick -

1) if you don't think a scholarship award reflects recognition of past performance we have nothing to talk about.

2) if you don't think school reputation influences perception, we again have nothing to talk about.

I agree that listing dollar amounts is a reflection of poor judgement. Writing a percentage, in my view, is not.

Not surprised that people are crawling out of the woodwork to offer moral advice on a question that tickles the ego.

Real quick -

1) if you don't think a scholarship award reflects recognition of past performance we have nothing to talk about.

2) if you don't think school reputation influences perception, we again have nothing to talk about.

I agree that dollar amounts are poor judgement. Writing a percentage, in my view, is not.

Not surprised that people are crawling out of the woodwork to offer moral advice on a question that is tickles the ego.
FWIW, I have a full-tuition scholarship and it is most definitely NOT on my CV. I'm a non-trad student who's been in the working world for a few years and I can't imagine there would be a situation where that would be appropriate.

FWIW, I have a full-tuition scholarship and it is most definitely NOT on my CV. I'm a non-trad student who's been in the working world for a few years and I can't imagine there would be a situation where that would be appropriate.

You can't imagine a situation where a potential future employer would want to know that the last person who evaluated you thought you merited a free education?

You can't imagine a situation where a potential future employer would want to know that the last person who evaluated you thought you merited a free education?
What makes you think the cost of your education is at all relevant to your employer? It's not.
Your CV can list your education, gpa and other accomplishments you have, so if you received a scholarship based on merit then the accomplishments that got you the scholarship should already be apparent on the CV.

Look, you obviously want to boast about your award on your CV, so by all means go ahead and do it. But to answer your original question, it's tacky as hell and outside the scope of a CV.

What makes you think the cost of your education is at all relevant to your employer? It's not.
Your CV can list your education, gpa and other accomplishments you have, so if you received a scholarship based on merit then the accomplishments that got you the scholarship should already be apparent on the CV.

Look, you obviously want to boast about your award on your CV, so by all means go ahead and do it. But to answer your original question, it's tacky as hell and outside the scope of a CV.
This. I'll be honest, if I'm looking at CVs of anyone I'm looking to hire and they put anything about amount of scholarship ($ or %) your CV is going into the trash. I'll even go so far as to say that outside something everyone knows about (like the previously mentioned Rhodes Scholar), I wouldn't put anything about scholarships on a CV ever.

I got a full ride to undergrad (as many med school graduates do), but it never occurred to me to put it on a CV.

Wow OP is getting a lot of grief for an honest question, who wouldn't want to distinguish a major earned scholarship from a petty award. 85% tuition award is something to be proud of, it's not like he's listing $500 Tylenol scholar on there. FWIW I have my athletic scholarship from undergrad noted on my CV (not $ amount), I have no idea why one would want to hide earning a full ride.

Last edited:
This. I'll be honest, if I'm looking at CVs of anyone I'm looking to hire and they put anything about amount of scholarship ($ or %) your CV is going into the trash. I'll even go so far as to say that outside something everyone knows about (like the previously mentioned Rhodes Scholar), I wouldn't put anything about scholarships on a CV ever.

I got a full ride to undergrad (as many med school graduates do), but it never occurred to me to put it on a CV.

Just to give a contrasting viewpoint, my full-tuition undergraduate and medical scholarships (both "named") are on my CV and not only have I never gotten grief for it, I've received more than one instance of positive feedback about it. In fact I was recently updating my CV and was told to keep them there by multiple mentors. Granted, the academic world isn't "the real world." But since the original question was about an application to a competitive research program, I don't think it's a crazy assumption that academic perceptions may apply.

This is a classic example of a college kid thinking the name of his school matters more to the working world than the skills he can offer. It doesn't, and if you really still believe it does then you're in for a rude awakening.

If you think that asking the question of whether to list a scholarship amount on a CV precludes one's appreciation for the merits and substantiveness of productivity and hard work than it is you who should be the subject of "doubts about perspective and judgement."

At no point did I overstate the degree of impact that school reputation or a scholarship has on a person's overall application. I don't know why you or anyone else is assuming that I conflate such things with other more important indicators of performance.

All I am arguing - and which a few of you are having near-hilarious jerk reactions too - is that a scholarship on a CV serves as a datapoint of accomplishment. It tells you that someone thought you were good enough to be offered some sum of money. It should be taken in the same vein as a research award or recognition for contribution to some cause.

If you won 1st in a research award, would you list that number to distinguish yourself from bronze metalists, or would you simply say "nah, I don't want to seem egotistical. Let's just not put that here." For an unnamed, but substantial, scholarship like mine, it seems incredibly dumb not to somehow differentiate that I received a scholarship x4000 times the amount of someone with the same unnamed scholarship. The point of a CV is to show your accomplishments and distinguish yourself. In the context of the application, you should do everything within ethical limits to be awarded the opportunity of what you are applying for.

Honestly, knee-jerk people like you who make assumptions based on stuff like this scare the crap out of me.

@OrbitalOverload - I think the issue is that you come across as fixated on two things. 1) Your scholarship as evidence that you're "better" than the lames who only got a few grand, and 2) Your scholarship as the reason you deigned to grace a lower-ranked school with your presence. Even if that's not how you meant it, it is pretty gauche.

As someone who's been where you are- just put "Merit scholarship" and move on.

@OrbitalOverload - I think the issue is that you come across as fixated on two things. 1) Your scholarship as evidence that you're "better" than the lames who only got a few grand, and 2) Your scholarship as the reason you deigned to grace a lower-ranked school with your presence. Even if that's not how you meant it, it is pretty gauche.

And 3. After we said not to include it, he's continued to argue that he should.

And please stop comparing research awards to a med school scholarship. Grant writing/receiving a research award is nothing like applying to medical school. The ability to secure research funding belongs on a CV and is relevant to employers; how much you paid for med school is not.

And please stop comparing research awards to a med school scholarship. Grant writing/receiving a research award is nothing like applying to medical school. The ability to secure research funding belongs on a CV and is relevant to employers; how much you paid for med school is not.

Lol you are seriously just a troll

Fair enough. I may have come across that way. I think my argument stands despite that.

You are funding research labs/hospitals/academic programs and employing people with grants, versus funding yourself with scholarships.

Why would anyone with sense think that grants equate to scholarships?

You are funding research labs/hospitals/academic programs and employing people with grants, versus funding yourself with scholarships.

Why would anyone with sense think that grants equate to scholarships?

What about research grants/fellowships used solely to pay your stipend? These do not go on your CV?

What about research grants/fellowships used solely to pay your stipend? These do not go on your CV?

They would go under awards, but do not constitute what PDs have in mind when they see the word "Grant". If a PD starts questioning you about what you did with X Grant you'd better not say you bought a benz. A grant used to pay tuition is called a scholarship, and should be called this on a CV.

You should know the difference. A scholarship shows that you can talk about yourself ; a Grant shows that you can contribute.

They would go under awards, but do not constitute what PDs have in mind when they see the word "Grant". If a PD starts questioning you about what you did with X Grant you'd better not say you bought a benz. A grant used to pay tuition is called a scholarship, and should be called this on a CV.

You should know the difference. A scholarship shows that you can talk about yourself ; a Grant shows that you can contribute.

I'm talking about fellowships (for predoctoral trainees) or career development awards (for postdoctoral trainees and junior faculty), which often only pay you a stipend and are awarded on a project-specific and person-specific proposal but do not necessarily fund the lab for materials or people. These are like grants and do not go under awards (eg, the HMS CV instructions). Similarly, a significant part of NIH grants go towards salary support for the PI.

Fellowships, career development awards, and other grants for research show you can contribute in a similar way to how scholarships for tuition do. The school awarded you a merit-based scholarship because it thinks you will contribute to the school more than others; it is making an investment.

Last edited:
Just to give a contrasting viewpoint, my full-tuition undergraduate and medical scholarships (both "named") are on my CV and not only have I never gotten grief for it, I've received more than one instance of positive feedback about it. In fact I was recently updating my CV and was told to keep them there by multiple mentors. Granted, the academic world isn't "the real world." But since the original question was about an application to a competitive research program, I don't think it's a crazy assumption that academic perceptions may apply.

It's an all-or-nothing phenomenon. If you get a full ride, sure - say "Merit-based full tuition scholarship." But once you start nickel-and-diming it with amounts and percentages, it looks desperate and is in poor taste.

I'm talking about fellowships (for predoctoral trainees) or career development awards (for postdoctoral trainees and junior faculty), which often only pay you a stipend and are awarded on a project-specific and person-specific proposal but do not necessarily fund the lab for materials or people. These are like grants and do not go under awards (eg, the HMS CV instructions).

Fellowships and career development awards for research show you can contribute in a similar way to how scholarships for tuition do. The school awarded you a merit-based scholarship because it thinks you will contribute to the school more than others; it is making an investment.
Wrong. In academia, the ability to procure research funding is obviously expected. Excellent grant writing= directly relevant to your position and something your employer is looking for. The amount of funding you've successfully secured is a testament to how valuable you'll be to an academic institution. In contrast, a merit-based scholarship is almost always a result of your numbers or other accomplishments already listed on your CV, and most importantly does not benefit your employer or academic institution at all, so it doesn't belong in a CV.

I'm talking about fellowships (for predoctoral trainees) or career development awards (for postdoctoral trainees and junior faculty), which often only pay you a stipend and are awarded on a project-specific and person-specific proposal but do not necessarily fund the lab for materials or people. These are like grants and do not go under awards (eg, the HMS CV instructions).

Fellowships and career development awards for research show you can contribute in a similar way to how scholarships for tuition do. The school awarded you a merit-based scholarship because it thinks you will contribute to the school more than others; it is making an investment.

PDs will sniff this out in an interview, if you get one. If you were a PD what would hold more weight: a person who can fund themselves, or a person who can fund a team?

It's an all-or-nothing phenomenon. If you get a full ride, sure - say "Merit-based full tuition scholarship." But once you start nickel-and-diming it with amounts and percentages, it looks desperate and is in poor taste.

This is arbitrary. 85% tuition versus no scholarship at all is more than a nickel and dime difference.

This is arbitrary. 85% tuition versus no scholarship at all is more than a nickel and dime difference.

You're missing the point. It's crass to give amounts. Qualitative description? Fine. Quantitative? Looks self-aggrandizing.

Hello every1 , I need some serious advice and please all those hav negative comments plz don't comment as I am in a bit of a fix , while during my stay in America I was arrested and charged with retail theft but it was a big miss understanding, I was in a store had some things in my hand , my cell phone rang and I went to answer cause the connection was bad , I stepped outside store , the store people came out and they thought I was leaving with things , I only stepped out didn't walk away or anything , I tried to explain that it was a misunderstanding and that I did not leave store to steal but to answer phone and it was mistake they didn't listen , called the police and the police took me , I was fingerprinted and then given court date , when I appeared before the judge my case was closed and dismissed as there was no evidence and also because the judge believed me that it was sheer bad luck and I wasn't sort to do sumthing like that . I have no criminal conviction , no probation , no fine the case was simplly dismissed . The arrest is still on record . This was nightmare for me , cause I have to apply for residency this year . I talked to immigration attorneys to see how this would affect me getting visa they all said it will not be problem as case was dropped . My step 1 , 2 and cs are all pass , and I have good decent score in all .
I am now very much afraid about what will happen , eras asks if u have been convicted of any misdemeanour or felonys and my answer to both is no cause I wasn't but my attest will come on back ground checks , I don't know what to do and what my chances are now .
I talked to few people they said it will not be problem , but I am miserable cause I have worked very hard for this , my nights and days are restless I am purely miserable .
Please guide me and since I am already so much scared please refrain from negative comments .
Thanks
Also I'm new on SDN idk how to work it so I can't find a way to start anew thread I'm sorry

Wrong. In academia, the ability to procure research funding is obviously expected. Excellent grant writing= directly relevant to your position and something your employer is looking for. The amount of funding you've successfully secured is a testament to how valuable you'll be to an academic institution. In contrast, a merit-based scholarship is almost always a result of your numbers or other accomplishments already listed on your CV, and most importantly does not benefit your employer or academic institution at all, so it doesn't belong in a CV.

You are saying that a merit-based award does not belong on the CV because it is derivative and redundant with other factors apparent on the CV. However, A) numbers are typically left off the CV, and B) the awards provide a synthesis of numbers and other accomplishments. You then say that a merit-based award that is not dependent on job-relevant skills such as grant-writing has little value in predicting future performance. I would say that academic merit is a job-relevant quality for trainees and academics. There is a reason CVs have an awards and prizes section: to acknowledge that third parties have evaluated this person's merits in various areas and recognized them positively.

There are two different arguments in this thread. First is whether merit scholarships should go on the CV. I think they should absolutely be listed like any other awards as I explained below. This is not the original question. I know scholarships are different from grants and fellowships. I also know awards and prizes have a place on academic CVs. Second is the OP's question of whether the amount or percentage tuition should be specified on the CV. People generally bristle at any mention of numbers (eg, salary, scholarship dollar amounts, or even test scores) for some reason, so it's polite and prudent to leave off. It doesn't have to make sense; it's just a social norm. The only reason I would entertain for including dollar amounts for awards is to give a general sense of the importance and potential competitiveness of the award if it is large (>$10k) and not obvious/well-known.

You are saying that a merit-based award does not belong on the CV because it is derivative and redundant with other factors apparent on the CV. However, A) numbers are typically left off the CV, and B) the awards provide a synthesis of numbers and other accomplishments. You then say that a merit-based award that is not dependent on job-relevant skills such as grant-writing has little value in predicting future performance. I would say that academic merit is a job-relevant quality for trainees and academics. There is a reason CVs have an awards and prizes section: to acknowledge that third parties have evaluated this person's merits in various areas and recognized them positively.
An academic merit scholarship does not provide a synthesis of skills that are relevant to an employer, that's what you're misunderstanding. An employer doesn't care what your MCAT score was or how many hours of volunteering you have; it's irrelevant to the skill set he/she's analyzing.

Nowhere did I say anything about predicting performance. I have no idea where you came up with that. I simply said that it's not relevant to your employer whereas grant-writing and securing stable funding in academia is.

PDs will sniff this out in an interview, if you get one. If you were a PD what would hold more weight: a person who can fund themselves, or a person who can fund a team?

I'm not sure whether you're just trolling. It's extremely rare at our stage as trainees to be awarded a grant that can fund a research team. On my ERAS CV, under each research experience, I listed what fellowships I had supporting me as well as their dollar amounts (but I suppose if I were to do it again I might leave the amounts off because manners). They do demonstrate a rudimentary level of grantsmanship skill, especially if the fellowship comes from an extramural funding source. Therefore these have a place on the CV. At the same time, by the way I described them, there should be no ambiguity that they are small awards that provided only stipend support. I had no questions from interviewers sniffing these out further, because there is nothing more to add.

An academic merit scholarship does not provide a synthesis of skills that are relevant to an employer, that's what you're misunderstanding. An employer doesn't care what your MCAT score was or how many hours of volunteering you have; it's irrelevant to the skill set he/she's analyzing.

Nowhere did I say anything about predicting performance. I have no idea where you came up with that. I simply said that it's not relevant to your employer whereas grant-writing and securing stable funding in academia is.

Your employer will take stock of an merit award to the extent that your employer values the same things as the entity that gave the award, discounted by the amount of time that has elapsed since that award, and amplified by the prestige of that award. Training programs (academic employers) care about academic performance.

Admissions and hiring decisions are all based on predicting performance. The training institution or employer thinks, this person did good work in the past in these areas so they will likely do good work in the future for me in these related areas.

Our school's Dean's Letter (Medical Student Performance Evaluation) that goes to residency programs starts off by mentioning where the student went for college, whether they graduated from college with honors, and then if the student came on a named merit scholarship.

Your employer will take stock of an merit award to the extent that your employer values the same things as the entity that gave the award, discounted by the amount of time that has elapsed since that award, and amplified by the prestige of that award. Training programs (academic employers) care about academic performance.

Admissions and hiring decisions are all based on predicting performance. The training institution or employer thinks, this person did good work in the past in these areas so they will likely do good work in the future for me in these related areas.
Your performance as a student is very different from your performance as an employee. You sound like you've never worked a full time job before. As someone who regularly reviews CVs and interviews potential hire-ons, I can tell you that I really don't care about test scores and GPAs, because this job doesn't give you standardized tests or give out grades. A merit-based scholarship tells me that you test well and study hard, but it tells me nothing about how you work as an employee. As I said in my very first post, employers won't put stock in the same things as a dean of admissions will, which is why it's not relevant to your job application. I don't know how many more times we can spell this out.

Your performance as a student is very different from your performance as an employee. You sound like you've never worked a full time job before. As someone who regularly reviews CVs and interviews potential hire-ons, I can tell you that I really don't care about test scores and GPAs, because this job doesn't give you standardized tests or give out grades. A merit-based scholarship tells me that you test well and study hard, but it tells me nothing about how you work as an employee. As I said in my very first post, employers won't put stock in the same things as a dean of admissions will, which is why it's not relevant to your job application. I don't know how many more times we can spell this out.

We're in a medical student forum, so the most immediate and relevant full time job we can talk about is residency and fellowship. Program directors do care about test scores and GPA. Program directors are cut from the same cloth as deans of admissions.

We're in a medical student forum, so the most immediate and relevant full time job we can talk about is residency and fellowship. Program directors do care about test scores and GPA. Program directors are cut from the same cloth as deans of admissions.
Did you read the OP? It's for a research job. Whatever, dude. Do what you want with your CV lol.

Some life advice though: it's bad form to ask advice and then get defensive and argumentative with those trying to advise you.

Did you read the OP? It's for a research job. Whatever, dude. Do what you want with your CV lol.

Some life advice though: it's bad form to ask advice and then get defensive and argumentative with those trying to advise you.

Oh I forgot that. Do you interview researchers?

Clinical research, yes.

Hm. You, representing research, don't care about academics. There are some program directors care that care about academics but not research. But there are also many program directors that care about both academics and research. And there are surely researchers who care about your academic merits as well.

This is a classic example of a college kid thinking the name of his school matters more to the working world than the skills he can offer. It doesn't, and if you really still believe it does then you're in for a rude awakening.

When did OP ever say THAT? He didn't say that he thought school name mattered more than skills. He just wondered whether it mattered AT ALL.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited: