Listing Research Presentations and Grants/Award

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ptxpony

Mississippi State CVM c/o 2020
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Despite searching through as many relevant threads as possible, I'm having a hard time deciding how to go about doing this.

I began doing chemistry research in mid-2013 and continued under the same professor through the summer, fall, and spring. I applied for and received a grant for the summer through INBRE, a program funded by NIH and the National Institute of General Medical Sciences, in which I spent 10 weeks continuing my research full-time (40hrs/week).

So, how do I go about listing this on my "Experiences?" Should I combine all the hours from 2013-2014, put them under one research experience, and list the summer grant separately as an award? Or, should I separate the grant hours and list them under a new research experience, but note that it was compensated? It was all the same research with the same professor.

Secondly, I have presented a poster at nine different research conferences/symposiums, the most significant of which (in my opinion) was a biannual national symposium in Washington, D.C. last summer. Should I make a note in the description of my research experience of all conferences/symposiums attended?

Finally, I began research with a new professor in the fall of 2014; however, I was going about my previous research from a different perspective (computationally vs. actually synthesizing chemicals). Should this be a separate research experience since it was under a different professor and I had to learn completely different methods? I did start a new project with this new professor in the spring, so I'm assuming that would be definitely be listed separately from my first research experience.

Members don't see this ad.

For all my undergrad research hours + master's research hours, I listed them under Research experience unless they directly involved taking care of an animal in which case it went under animal experience.

I listed my publishings under awards, I would do the same for your grant

I would separate my hours in to whatever project they were for, so say I did undergrad research for Dr. X that's one entry under research experience. My own undergrad research is its own entry. Research under a different professor is its own entry, etc.

The research with the grant was under the same professor as the rest of that first year of research, so would you still list it separately since I was "paid" for it? I forgot to point out that the grant was for the summer of 2014. Also, I say "grant," but it was more of an award, really, to help with living arrangements and travel to our research host university.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is how I would do it from what I understand:
If all the hours were on the same project, and they were all for that specific professor's 1 grant I would lump them together and list your stipend/award under awards/scholarships

If some of the hours were on project 1 for Professor A, and then you started your own project/research then I would separate them

If all the hours over the year were on your 1 project that you received the stipend for, lump all those together

If the professor/school never actually paid you I don't think I would list it as "paid", I would just list the award in the appropriate section. (I was on the school payroll so I'm not quite sure but this is my best guess).

If the professor paid you for some of it, and you volunteered for some then I would separate those

This is my best guess at least :)

@VMCASSTAFF I haven't these guys around for a bit but I'm sure they'll be around soon with the app cycle starting again. They could probably answer better than myself

That definitely helps, thank you! I actually did get paid the second semester through a grant my professor had, not through the award/scholarship I received for the following summer. This was all the same research project under the same professor, though, which is why I'm not too sure how to separate it. To make things easier, I was just going to lump it all together and leave off that I was paid the second semester, but I can certainly separate it if that would look meaningful to any adcom-- but that would split it into three different research experiences: the unpaid summer+one semester, the one paid semester, and the following summer with the award/scholarship. I think I'm putting too much thought into this and making it harder than it should be!

Hi,

Despite searching through as many relevant threads as possible, I'm having a hard time deciding how to go about doing this.

I began doing chemistry research in mid-2013 and continued under the same professor through the summer, fall, and spring. I applied for and received a grant for the summer through INBRE, a program funded by NIH and the National Institute of General Medical Sciences, in which I spent 10 weeks continuing my research full-time (40hrs/week).

So, how do I go about listing this on my "Experiences?" Should I combine all the hours from 2013-2014, put them under one research experience, and list the summer grant separately as an award? Or, should I separate the grant hours and list them under a new research experience, but note that it was compensated? It was all the same research with the same professor.

Secondly, I have presented a poster at nine different research conferences/symposiums, the most significant of which (in my opinion) was a biannual national symposium in Washington, D.C. last summer. Should I make a note in the description of my research experience of all conferences/symposiums attended?

Finally, I began research with a new professor in the fall of 2014; however, I was going about my previous research from a different perspective (computationally vs. actually synthesizing chemicals). Should this be a separate research experience since it was under a different professor and I had to learn completely different methods? I did start a new project with this new professor in the spring, so I'm assuming that would be definitely be listed separately from my first research experience.

I had a similar situation. I worked in a lab under the same PI for two years, started as a volunteer and then got paid. I worked on three different projects in that lab. I also did an independent research project that was grant-funded, but the same PI supervised.

I did one entry for my independent research, and then listed everything else under a second entry. I gave each project a separate paragraph and listed what my responsibilities were as well as any relevant publications. For you, I would list the second PI under a separate entry as well.

I think listing your posters separately would get a little redundant, especially if it was all the same work. Just list the work and then say where you presented it, where it was published, etc.