listing this job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluesails

Tufts c/o 2018!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone - c/o 2018 and first time applicant here. Waiting for VMCAS to open.

I was wondering how I could best list a job position that I was recently accepted for. The job is an on-campus position as a Deans Office Student Consultant and I start work in September so I unfortunately don't actually have hours for it yet. However, because we work directly with campus administration, I went through a very rigorous application and selection process as well as my first day of training, and I will be undergoing a week of rigorous training during fall orientation before I actually start my job. I'm basically going to be working as a peer undergraduate advisor who communicates with both students and their deans - this includes academic and major advising as well as counseling and crisis management, and it's going to be an intense time. They only select seniors for the job, which is why I didn't do it earlier. I just thought I jumped through so many hoops to actually get the job and they talked to us a LOT on our first day of training about how much responsibility the job entails that I wanted to put it on my app somewhere.

Any ideas for me? Also, my school year does NOT start before September 1, so I won't have any actual job hours by the time transcript verification rolls around.

Members don't see this ad.

An adcom member I've spoken to said to list future things in the explanation statement.

Although I feel like I recall something about VMCAS saying to actually list future things this cycle, I would assume if I'm right it will say so in the directions once it opens?

The explanation statement is a good catchall for what doesn't seem to fit anywhere else. If you have the opportunity to list a few hours that you've done (under employment) before you submit VMCAS, that's okay so long as you make it obvious that the job is ongoing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a bad idea to list it under the explanation statement. I feel like as long as you put it somewhere and explain it well you shouldn't worry. You can always call and ask though! Also, there is a 2014 VMCAS thread on here where you can have questions answered by staff. Best of luck :)

You really can't just list it under the Employment section with the start date in the future? Why not?

If you don't know things like the hours, just estimate or, if the website allows, leave it blank and elaborate in the description.....

Or is there no description? It's been a while.

You really can't just list it under the Employment section with the start date in the future? Why not?

If you don't know things like the hours, just estimate or, if the website allows, leave it blank and elaborate in the description.....

Or is there no description? It's been a while.

At least last year, instructions specifically said not to list future hours (as in, you could only list hours that you had completed up to that point). Somewhere I thought there may have been a hint that things were going to change this year? Not sure. Always read the instructions fully each year you have to apply.

At least last year, instructions specifically said not to list future hours (as in, you could only list hours that you had completed up to that point). Somewhere I thought there may have been a hint that things were going to change this year? Not sure. Always read the instructions fully each year you have to apply.

Is that for Employment, though? Or just for Animal/Vet Experience?

When I applied, the Employment entries asked for: Company, City, State, Contact Phone, Paid?, Start Date, End Date, Weekly Avg Hrs, Total Hours, Description.

In a case like this if it were me I'd put a Start Date as appropriate, leave the End Date blank (or, if there is a known future End Date, put that), guestimate the Weekly Avg Hrs, leave Total Hours blank or put 0, and then make it clear in the Description what the duties are and that the job starts after the application deadline.

Just my take on it, but I think that's the most honest and accurate way to do it.

The very best approach, though, is to call VMCAS and ask what the preferred method is. (Or email them; I know some people talk about liking the paper trail of having documented email.)

Is that for Employment, though? Or just for Animal/Vet Experience?

When I applied, the Employment entries asked for: Company, City, State, Contact Phone, Paid?, Start Date, End Date, Weekly Avg Hrs, Total Hours, Description.

In a case like this if it were me I'd put a Start Date as appropriate, leave the End Date blank (or, if there is a known future End Date, put that), guestimate the Weekly Avg Hrs, leave Total Hours blank or put 0, and then make it clear in the Description what the duties are and that the job starts after the application deadline.

Just my take on it, buit I think that's the most honest and accurate way to do it.

The very best approach, though, is to call VMCAS and ask what the preferred method is. (Or email them; I know some people talk about liking the paper trail of having documented email.)

It could just be vet/animal. Thought it was everything, bit just going off of memory and I had no ongoing things on that category.

For things I had that were ongoing, I just left the end date blank and no one seemed to mind.

But yes, just ask VMCAS. They'll know best.

It could just be vet/animal. Thought it was everything, bit just going off of memory and I had no ongoing things on that category.

Eh. Yer probably right; you've done it more recently.

In general, I think people obsess over this kind of stuff too much. Nobody's really "out to get" applicants because (gasp) they didn't fill an application out exactly correct. The whole point of the application is to get organized, standardized information ... not to make a federal case and disqualify someone because person A chose to include this job info, and person B didn't. Ya know? You just do the best you can, be as honest as possible, and it should be ok. :)

(Now, some government employee at DMV? They're totally out to get you if you don't fill something out 100% correct.....)

So I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the due date is still the beginning of October? When I applied last year I had just got a new job so I waited until the week before the due date to put in the info for my new job, then left the end date open. That way I could at least say I had some hours under my belt. I just made sure to have the rest of the application complete ahead of time so I wasn't scrambling. During my interview I was asked about my current job and I was able to tell them about all the work I did since the application closed.

If all else fails you the explanation section haha.