Litigation Climate in Georgia vs North/Central FL - residency PD not recommending moonlighting in FL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theWUbear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a PGY2 at one of the newer programs in FL (what that means in the context of this post: there are not yet established moonlighting 'connections' or pipelines for our residents).

Will be starting the search for moonlighting positions to get started with that in PGY3.

My PD, who has an extensive history of practicing in FL, states that he would recommend working in the-middle-of-nowhere small-town southern GA where you get the experience of being the only ER doc, with a lower acuity ER.

His main reason for recommending looking in GA is that he says the difference in the litigation climate between GA and FL is huge. However, from what I have heard anecdotally at least, Florida's average legal climate is heavily influenced by a very litigious South Florida, and North and Central FL (tampa, Orlando and up) is not representative of that climate.

Do you have recommendations regarding the decision to moonlight within one hour of my residency in North to Central Florida vs 2-4 hours away in GA? Would you prioritize the travel distance? Would you prioritize one state over the other? Or would you call that a wash and go with the best moonlighting opportunity (what would you find important in a moonlighting opportunity, and what to stay away from?)

Thank you from someone who has had a wonderful residency experience so far but lacks insight and hopes to learn from you on the subject of moonlighting

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't bother traveling to GA. I work in West FL near Tampa--malpractice ain't great here, but it's a bit exaggerated. It's a lot less in rural counties (eg Northwest of Gainseville/West of Jax.) It's not worth the 2 hr drive unless they pay a lot more. Your best bet would be to find a sleepy stand alone ED. If it's just malpractice you are worried about, then only moonlight in FSED or UC.

I did my moonlighting in rural NC. I learned more there my 3rd year than at my residency. I highly recommend--you'll be a better doctor b/c of it.
Just remember to be conservative (scan, be liberal with abx and meds when you start out.)

Reactions: 1 users
You know who knows better than a bunch of internet strangers? Your PD and faculty. Ask them. Listen to them.

Reactions: 2 users