What is your program's moonlighting policy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funnybanana

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious to know about your program's moonlighting policy. Mine is so hellbent on ITE score being >50% as pretty much the only requirement, which I think is quite shortsighted. Looking for some way to address this policy with my program's leadership to consider more than just ITE. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Curious to know about your program's moonlighting policy. Mine is so hellbent on ITE score being >50% as pretty much the only requirement, which I think is quite shortsighted. Looking for some way to address this policy with my program's leadership to consider more than just ITE. Thanks!
I felt like I saw the ITE requirement fairly often when I was interviewing. My program has no ITE requirement. Individually we have to be approved by faculty, but I don't think anyone's ever been declined. I feel like 50th percentile is a pretty low bar for moonlighting and you'll be hard pressed to remove that requirement.

A lot of people talk a big game when it comes to moonlighting but when it's finally time to moonlight, many people opt out or give up. Stacking moonlighting takes away most of your days off. It's usually at really crappy hospitals or getting absolutely destroyed by nonsense at an urgent care for peanuts (I don't count internal moonlighting as real moonlighting). There's also obvious risk with this choice too which scares people off. And a lot of residents come from money so the incentive isn't there.

Same here, we had to be approved by faculty to moonlight. Using an ITE score is wild, especially with such a low standard.

Members don't see this ad :)
We sold our shifts to the lower levels for about $500 a pop and would stack moonlighting shifts during our PGY 3/4 years. I’m sure faculty was aware but they never said anything. I'd fly out and do locums gigs 1-2 times a month for 4 day/night stretches. As for approval, we just needed approval from PD. I've actually never heard of >50% ITE as a requirement but that should be pretty easy during your PGY2+ years...I would think.

50th percentile nationally or for your class. Idk using that means half of people can’t moonlight.

Unsure which way you're concerned here.

If you're arguing that you should have to prove clinical skill beyond getting >50% on the ITE, I think that's a fair point to bring up.

If you're saying that getting over a 50 is pointlessly onerous, I would argue that someone who can't at the very least score a 50 on an emergency medicine exam should not be practicing emergency medicine independently.

Reactions: 4 users
Ours was >56th percentile, if I remember correctly; approved by the faculty, and double coverage shifts only. Which pretty much meant only 2-3 places at most you could moonlight. Only 1-2 a year maybe were able to. Now, all those places were CMG and have cut the double coverage, so there's no place left.

Hell, I don't even think I'd want to moonlight if I couldn't score over 50. I'd be paranoid of killing someone.
Couldn’t agree more. I don’t care how good you are clinically or procedurally, if you score under a 50 you have to have some serious knowledge gaps and should not be practicing independently.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think I perhaps misunderstood. Do you mean a 50 on the ITE or 50th percentile? Huge difference. If it is a score of 50 thats a joke and i would guess 95% of MS4s can score that. If it is 50th %ile then you are eliminating 50% of the people which i think is crazy to have a threshold that high.

Reactions: 1 user
We require 70% correct on ITE. Not sure what that correlates to for percentile.

OK but what's ITE stand for though?

Reactions: 1 user
I think that if your ITE score doesn't project a reasonably high likelihood of passing your boards, then you should spend your time studying instead of moonlighting.

Reactions: 3 users