Moonlighting as PGY2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mihirtak

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in moonlighting as a PGY2, my residency doesn't offer any opportunities, so I was wondering if anyone has done any online moonlighting similar to TELADOC as a resident. I passed Step 3 and I can apply for license in my state whenever. Wanted to hear about anyone's experiences/if anyone has other suggestions.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would check with your program is telemedicine is even an option. I know with mine, it is not.

First thing to determine is whether your program doesn't have opportunities, or doesn't allow it at all. Because that's an important distinction.

If it's the latter, then this discussion is over. If it's the former, ask around because some of your seniors are definitely doing something, somewhere. They may not want you to get a piece of their action this year, but I'm sure they'll hook you up on their way out the door.

To the other part of your question, telemedicine is kind of a bust for a lot of people hoping to do it as a side gig. Teladoc in particular requires BC in FM or EM, AND experience, so probably not a great option for a PGY2.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am interested in moonlighting as a PGY2, my residency doesn't offer any opportunities, so I was wondering if anyone has done any online moonlighting similar to TELADOC as a resident. I passed Step 3 and I can apply for license in my state whenever. Wanted to hear about anyone's experiences/if anyone has other suggestions.

Thanks!

It's been mentioned a couple times by other people in the General Residency forum but insurance exams is an option if your program allows it. I was inspired by those posts as I was waiting for another job to start but wanted to make some money. All you need is a medical license in the state you're doing the exams (regardless if they're virtual, which they are for me right now). It took a while to get started but I've been doing them for a couple weeks. It's mind-numbingly boring and you have to deal with bored old people who want someone to listen to their medical concerns, but otherwise relatively easy especially as you can do them from your house (usually during business and evening hours). You can set your schedule based on availability. In person pays $100/exam, virtual only pays $85/exam. AFAIK due to COVID concerns they're only doing virtual now, but that can change. Most exams can be done in an hour or less (that's what you're scheduled for). The company is called Signify Health. I applied on their website, but didn't initially get a response so I applied again on a doc recruiter site and got contacted that day (it still took over 2 months for me to get started with the company).

I’m assuming you just started pgy-2 based on the fact that it’s September. You could look into doing disability stuff and other simple things that are lower risk than urgent care and EM. By the end of your second year/start of third, you should be ready to do urgent care or a very small ED for most people.

As frustrating as it is, you're still firmly ensconced in the skill acquisition phase of life. The money-making will come, but especially as an early 2nd year it's really damn hard to do both and it's even harder to do both well. Early 2nd year is usually a big jump in scope of responsibilities and is a vital time for coalescing your knowledge base and creating a coherent style of practice. There's plenty of time to overextend yourself in the gig economy and explore atypical money making endeavors once you've become proficient as a medical doctor.

Reactions: 1 users
I didn’t want to moonlight my second year, but by my senior year I felt I had to or risk going into more debt or signing my life away with a bad Cmg for a sign on bonus.

Cost thousands Just to get licensed in some states. Texas set me back $2,000, not including the cost of the jurisprudence exam.

I wouldn't recommend moonlighting as PGY2, that's a little too green and you're likely to burn yourself unless you have an attending or upper level on speed dial or it's a solid double coverage shop where you can run something by a colleage. PGY3 and 4 is fine though. Make sure you have adequate malpractice coverage. I moonlighted my last 2 years (4 year residency) with Weatherby locums and worked in some single coverage shops with 15-20K'ish volumes. I should have picked a double coverage shop in hindsight. Crazy cases, lots of sphincter tightening peds cases but it was good experience and decent money.

Don't even think about it unless your residency program allows it. Getting caught and/or kicked out of residency is not worth it.

Reactions: 1 user