1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Little biology background

Discussion in 'Re-Applicants [ MD / DO ]' started by batgirl, Nov 18, 2005.

1. batgirl

batgirl Student

Non-Student
    Hi guys,
    I want to apply for medical school next year but my GPA is only 3.1 on 4.3...not good.And also,I'm an engineering graduate.I haven't done any biology at all.Is that a big problem?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrHuang

DrHuang SDN Donor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    uhhh...you need a year of biology as a prereq for all med schools as well as a year in chemistry, o-chem and physics

edit: if you dont have those courses, go do a post bacc

4. batgirl

batgirl Student

Non-Student
  5. izibo

izibo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Damn, I thought I could just throw in an app for med school, what is with all of these pre-reqs, MCATs, and other obstacles! Bah!

6. batgirl

batgirl Student

Non-Student
    I can already do the MCAT!

7. batgirl

batgirl Student

Non-Student
    I already have most of the pre-requisites.It was part of my curriculum in high school.

8. FrkyBgStok

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    high school pre-reqs will not cut it for med school. You need to take all of these at a college level. 2 semesters of biology with lab, 2 semesters of general chemistry with lab, 2 semesters of organic chemistry with lab, 2 semester of general physics with lab, and commonly 2 semesters of english. it will literally be IMPOSSIBLE for you to get in without these classes. plus the MCAT covers these five subjects, so without them you would suck on your MCATs. These absolutely MUST be college level.

9. wm103099

wm103099 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi,
    I was an electrical engineering undergrad and I've been accepted into multiple medical schools for next year. The pre-reqs are somewhat flexible at some schools. For example, I never took into biology and I've never taken any biology lab courses. However, I became involved as an undergrad in research in the biology department. Your grades may be on the low side, but as long as your class rank in engineering is good, it shouldn't be a problem. The key is to study hard for the MCAT. If you think that you will ace the sciences part without studying because of your engineering background you are dead wrong. I didn't have the pre-reqs before I took the MCAT, and they are not necessary, but you need to study hard for at least 3 months prior to the test (several hours a day, less if you have the pre-reqs). I took KAPLAN, without it I would have beek F****d!
    Peace

10. batgirl

batgirl Student

Non-Student
    Thanks for the advice! :)
    I'm curious about something.Why did you change from electical engineering to medicine?I keep thinking about what I'm planning on doing.Those two courses are worlds apart!!!
    I'm actually taking a biology class next semester.I can't wait.

11. FrkyBgStok

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    many people will tell you that you should major in something other than biology so you are more well rounded at the very end and you are in something you enjoy so you can very well. if i could do it all over I would major in physics but i can't so i won't.

12. wm103099

wm103099 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi,
    I was always interested in medicine, even when I started EE. For me, the decision was based on the fact that a BSEE is a marketable undergrad degree. I was not a good student in HS and I honestly didn't think I was 'smart enough' to be a doctor. I guess one thing they teach in Catholic school is low self-esteem. Anyway, after my second year of college I decided that medical school was possible and I started to work in some pre-req courses. Good luck with your plan!