Little help on applying 2011 cycle + ECU dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoodyXC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I go to Wingate University, NC [ small private baptist school]
My g.p.a is currently a 3.08 in an upward trend[from a 2.25 at the end of freshman year]had a really bad freshman year with C's in Chem101,102 and Freshman Bio.

I took the DAT and my AA was 17 [cant remember all the stats BIO 17 ORG 17 GC 15 RC 19 QR 14] and my studying for it could have been better so I want to take it over again. The hardest part for me is QR

The problem is I am currently studying abroad right now and will not be home until May 17. I think I should have ~ 1 month of focused studies to prepare for the DAT.

My question is, if I have everything complete on my AADSAS application when should I submit?

Also I have about 70 hours of community service /volunteering [non medical] I have done since my freshman year. Do you think I should try and get some more this year?

Living in NC, I would like to go to East Carolina's new dental school, I have not seen a lot of posts about it on the forum here so I wanted to know if anyone else here was applying to ECU.

Thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I go to Wingate University, NC [ small private baptist school]
My g.p.a is currently a 3.08 in an upward trend[from a 2.25 at the end of freshman year]had a really bad freshman year with C's in Chem101,102 and Freshman Bio.

I took the DAT and my AA was 17 [cant remember all the stats BIO 17 ORG 17 GC 15 RC 19 QR 14] and my studying for it could have been better so I want to take it over again. The hardest part for me is QR

The problem is I am currently studying abroad right now and will not be home until May 17. I think I should have ~ 1 month of focused studies to prepare for the DAT.

My question is, if I have everything complete on my AADSAS application when should I submit?

Also I have about 70 hours of community service /volunteering [non medical] I have done since my freshman year. Do you think I should try and get some more this year?

Living in NC, I would like to go to East Carolina's new dental school, I have not seen a lot of posts about it on the forum here so I wanted to know if anyone else here was applying to ECU.

Thanks for your help

I believe the AADSAS application cycle opens up this year on June 3rd. So if you got everything lined up and ready to go, I guess thats the day you submit. This will be my first time applying as well

As far as volunteering goes, thats kind of up to you if you want to do more. How about shadowing a general dentist, have you done that yet?

Yeah, I have a dentist in the family and have done a good bit of shadowing ( also with a non family dentist)since my freshman year so I am covered in that part.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck on the DAT - you need to really rock it this time, esp. b/c your GPA isn't stellar. ECU will be very competitive. In a bad economy, grad programs are more appealing. Also, ECU will be popular b/c it's new (and everyone will think it's easy to get into). You really should try to go and visit the dental school - see the new campus. Best of luck!

Also, ECU will be popular b/c it's new (and everyone will think it's easy to get into). You really should try to go and visit the dental school - see the new campus. Best of luck!
Didn't UNC have around 900 in-state applicants this year. So if that number is roughly similar next year, you can go ahead and assume that every applicant will also apply to ECU. They will definitely have a nice batch of NC students to choose from

Futuredent, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for you guys support.

I have also done some research, but I definitely need to rock the DAT when I come home. I have been getting A's and B's since my sophomore year, Dean's and President's list a few times. Its just hard not seeing that bring up the cumulative GPA.

Futuredent, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for you guys support.

I have also done some research, but I definitely need to rock the DAT when I come home. I have been getting A's and B's since my sophomore year, Dean's and President's list a few times. Its just hard not seeing that bring up the cumulative GPA.
Research is definitely going to help you when you get an interview.

Being an ECU grad student and hanging out with the admissions staff for the dental program..I can tell you that they really want a lot (LOT) of service hours...as long as you have at least 100 hours of shadowing they really won't care as much. ECU's mission is "to serve" and they are really going to be looking for it when the applications start coming in...If I were going to be applying here I would get on it as quick as possible. Also...don't bother "touring" the campus...as they haven't even started building the building yet for the dental school. that won't happen until late april.

ECU will only be accepting in-state applicants, correct?

Didn't UNC have around 900 in-state applicants this year. So if that number is roughly similar next year, you can go ahead and assume that every applicant will also apply to ECU. They will definitely have a nice batch of NC students to choose from

I'm pretty sure UNC had just over 1000 total applications according to the letter they sent that denied me and from my best guess, there were about 300 NC instate applications each year. (according to Dr. Aldridge)

This article, http://www.jdentaled.org/cgi/reprint/72/11/1290
shows 263 applicants in 2006.

120 slots for NC in-state students this year is sounding really nice.

Just got off the phone with Terry Barker, she said that there were roughly 1600 applicants this year. She didn't say how many were in-state...I have heard though, that they are looking into adding a few seats for this next year's class.

I'm pretty sure UNC had just over 1000 total applications according to the letter they sent that denied me and from my best guess, there were about 300 NC instate applications each year. (according to Dr. Aldridge)

This article, http://www.jdentaled.org/cgi/reprint/72/11/1290
shows 263 applicants in 2006.

120 slots for NC in-state students this year is sounding really nice.
You're right. My bad, I am not sure where I came up with that number. Must have been the total number of applicants.

To the guy/gal who started this thread...

Hey buddy, I would definitely take the DAT again...try studying through Kaplan...I did their online course for about 30 days and didn't get below a 20 on any subject... and upper 20's on a couple of 'em. I would highly recommend them.

As far as when you should submit your AADSAS...if you have everything lined up...I would go ahead and complete the application the day it becomes available as this not only makes you look like you're always on top of everything and not a procrastinator, but it also opens up the door to get an early interview which usually turns into an early Dec. 1st acceptance if they liked you during the interview. Make sure you already have your letters of recommend in order. You should also submit your AADSAS even if you haven't completed your DAT yet...you can take the DAT after you submit AADSAS...many people do this.

As of right now, I know of at least 8 guys going to apply to the program...and one lady. (just people I hang out with around Greenville that are either in my same program or at my work or who I go to church with)...bottom line....a lot of people have been waiting on ECU to open up so they can apply there...I myself actually moved to Greenville so that I could apply and go to ECU (except I got in somewhere else)...now I have to move again UGH!

Good luck on the future application process and the DAT man. I sincerely hope it all works out for you!

has anyone tried emailing ECu dent and gotten a response? I had some questions about their admissions requirements, but haven't heard back...

ECU will only be open to NC residents per their website so competition probably won't be too fierce. For the last cycle UNC only had about 300 in-state applicants. From the 2010-2011 ADEA Guide (Fall 2009 Entering Class):

UNC
In-state
Applicants/Interviewed/Enrolled
278/181/69

OOS
Applicants/Interviewed/Enrolled
1,086/75/12

Whats probably going to happen is the more competitive NC applicants will go on to UNC while the other applicants will end up going to ECU.

The first few years the school is going to take students that mainly have the grades and DAT scores (they may shy away from their mission a little), because they can't afford to take students that may fail the boards or drop out. Scores and retention will play a big role in the accreditation process of the school. You will want to get 20's on the DAT. This is just through the grapevine close to the tree. After speaking with one particular staff member, "DAT scores will hold more weight than GPA and is a better predictor of success in school."