LIU vet med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Am sure they will in the end even if it is for the benjamins $$$, their alumni is their reputation and the success of their alumni is directly proportional to their future ability to increase their endowment.

Yeah, this is cute.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, this is cute.
It is true why you think Ivy League schools are hyper selective unless you have uber-rich parents... in the end, very successful students are worth more and more likely to make big donations.

It is true why you think Ivy League schools are hyper selective unless you have uber-rich parents... in the end, very successful students are worth more and more likely to make big donations.

Nah how you're treated at school will determine if you make donations to a bigger extent than your salary. Even if I stumbled into a job that pays >$500k/year I'm not giving a dime of that back to the school. Being contacted for alumni donations comes up in veterinarian only Facebook groups not irregularly and the resounding response is "hahahahha, no". Very, very few vets are out here getting uber rich and funneling that salary back to the school. You might get a couple but in general the vast majority of a graduating class will be struggling financially and not donating. There's no incentive to produce quality clinicians, outside of making sure they can pass NAVLE. NAVLE is largely not a good evaluation of how you'll be as a clinician.

I stated I have concerns about quality being produced because I have reasons to be concerned.

Also appropriate meme:

06f (3).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The comparison between Ivy League undergraduate admissions and veterinary school admissions is misplaced. There are plenty of undergrads coming out of those schools making 200k+ with a bachelor's degree. That is the exception, not the rule in vet med. There's an interesting discussion on it over in the MD forums.

Likewise, 20% of Veterinary students graduate without debt. 20% graduate with more than 300k in debt. With starting salaries between 90-100k, the 80% of Veterinary graduates with debt are not going to be donating right away. For out of state students, they won't be donating for decades. And at that point, 20 years down the line, many veterinarians are disenchanted by the profession. Of the 100k veterinarians in the country, I bet less than 20% of them donate to their alma mater and then I'd bet that the average age of a donor is 50+. Gen X and later will not be reliable sources of income for veterinary schools post graduation.

Quality of medicine also does not dictate salary in vet med. Productivity does. I'm making 90k plus 20% production (on most things). I missed production for quarter 4 by 12,500. The other doctors in the hospital feel I do really good medicine, my med director loves how well I'm doing, and clients love me. But I'm still not getting a bonus this quarter cause I didn't produce enough. Simple as that.

I have a beef to pick with all opening vet schools especially those not trying to establish a clinic
Curious of your opinion on Texas Tech. Still a distributive model, but all students are either Texas residents paying in state tuition or New Mexico residents with contact seats. Racking in a lot less in tuition dollars compared to all the schools where 50% of the class is out of state.

Legit a curiosity thing rather than a debate thing.

Curious of your opinion on Texas Tech. Still a distributive model, but all students are either Texas residents paying in state tuition or New Mexico residents with contact seats. Racking in a lot less in tuition dollars compared to all the schools where 50% of the class is out of state.

Honestly haven't read up much on it. There's a new vet school as frequently as there is a new flea product now. Impossible to keep up with them all.

I agree with Bats and DVMD, while in theory schools get donations from alumni and that may be true in other situations, I don’t think that is common for vet schools aside from a few very wealthy donors. My school doesn’t really interact with alumni much aside from periodic emails and occasional “opportunities to sponsor” something. They did get lots of donations from a wealthy billionaires wife though. If I WERE to donate to my veterinary school some day, it would definitely be in the form of a small annual student scholarship (like $500-1000) for people either interested in my specialty or from my area of the state that a student will directly benefit from and not just a direct cart blanche donation to the school for their general use. Most vet schools seem to be mostly funded by governmental endowments, tuition, and teaching hospital revenue.

Reactions: 1 users

I was originally kinda thinking about a job there before they opened and I lived an hour from Amarillo for 7 years as a kid so I’ll give my opinion. I don’t think that area can support a distributive model very well. It’s too rural. The towns are too small and there’s no specialty hospitals or anything anywhere close. I hope they have good partner hospitals who really do want to teach. And I hope people can travel far for externship a because I think they’ll have to. I am glad their class sizes are smaller (although not too much smaller than OkState it is much smaller than A&M). I know they’re hoping to attract large animals folks and that area is great for feedlot Med and beef cows but we all know the shortage of large animal vets is a pay and respect issue not really a lack of people who want to do that kind of medicine. People are leaving large animal/equine vet Med because they’re under paid, have too much debt, and the on call 24/7 lifestyle is hard to manage long term especially for people with families. These people don’t stop liking cows and horses, many just can’t sustain the lifestyle as it is currently. Their cost of attendance for IS is 172k which isn’t going to help people afford to be a large animal vet. It’s only 23k less than A&M for IS. it’s 40k less for OOS but that’s 215 vs 265 which are still huge numbers. I bet average large animal vet salary in that area is 60-75k/yr, maybe 100 if you’re lucky…because that’s what my friend gets three hours east in rural mixed. I think it probably would have been more beneficial to set up some sort of VMLRP-style loan repayment or scholarships instead of the costs of the school if the COA isn’t going to be significantly lower. COA around 100 would make me a lot happier about affordability. I think Texas is big enough to have two schools so I don’t have a huge issue with that, but I think their cost, while slightly better, is still at odds with their stated goals (attract more food animal vets) when we know the underlying issues of that. I think they’ll probably put out nice rural vets but I don’t think it’s going to fix that issue because I think lots of students will still be career changers and go into small animal Med like people do now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the perspective! I know they'll allow distant externships; I took over the externship program for my hospital and they distributed my info to their students. But I hadn't realized their tuition comes out to 170k (hadn't looked tbh). Like you said, 70k for salary with probably 225k in total COA isn't going to help make the switch for vets to go into rural med. It needs to be half that.

We just heard first round acceptances went out today! Goodluck everyone! :)

Hi there! If there’s any current students that check this chat, I’d love to talk! I have a couple of questions regarding LIU’s program and it’d be great if I could hear from any current vet students

Hi there! If there’s any current students that check this chat, I’d love to talk! I have a couple of questions regarding LIU’s program and it’d be great if I could hear from any current vet students
PM me, I am happy to answer questions :)

Hi Meaganm96,

I know it has been a bit but I so appreciate you reaching out. I was not clear in my original post. I will most likely need to start over. I withdrew from SGU in March because I need to be closer to my family. I am a nontraditional applicant. I know you probably don't know this, but I wonder if they will take my first year credits. I am applying for Fall 2022. I really appreciate your positivity! It sounds as if you will do very well here and as a new veterinarian!
Hi, I am currently a student at Ross and just had to withdraw to be back with my family as well due to medical reasons. Were you ever able to get into LIU? I am also a nontraditional student worried about getting accepted into another vet school.