LIU vet med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Greengal

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am apply to Long Island as a transfer student. Does anyone know anything about this school? Rankings, teaching methods, etc.??

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a brand new program, so you might have a tough time finding much info about it.
It's so new that is not ranked, that said some of the clinical affiliations speak well for the program, you will have an easier time finding a Postgraduate training position at LIU. Is Long Island thus safer in general and cheaper than living in NYC while close enough to take advantage of the biomedical research networks, and clinical sites in the city. Also is in the vicinity of a major metropolis ( Unlike almost every other vet school ) while still offering many opportunities for Large and exotic animal experience.

I hope this helps, and best of luck with your transition.

It's so new that is not ranked, that said some of the clinical affiliations speak well for the program, you will have an easier time finding a Postgraduate training position at LIU. Is Long Island thus safer in general and cheaper than living in NYC while close enough to take advantage of the biomedical research networks, and clinical sites in the city. Also is in the vicinity of a major metropolis ( Unlike almost every other vet school ) while still offering many opportunities for Large and exotic animal experience.

This sounds like it’s copied and pasted from their website or an ad.

Reactions: 5 users
@Greengal you’ll probably have better luck finding info on the pre-vet forum than this one, more people post over there, including vets.

Can I ask why you’re applying to transfer to that program, specifically? It's brand new, one of the most expensive, and IIRC, doesn't have a teaching hospital. Staying at SGU is significantly cheaper, according to the VIN calculator, and would graduate you from an established program whose NAVLE pass rate is already known.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
What's in your mind?

Well, now I'm wondering why you answered a question with a question. I don't want to assume what you meant by that or why you think it would be the case--so I asked.

I think you're wrong about that statement, but I presumed getting an explanation made more sense first than just saying you're wrong.

I'm curious what they mean by postgraduate training program... because without a teaching hospital they won't have interns or residents so it won't be something that most vets are going to be pursuing anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious what they mean by postgraduate training program... because without a teaching hospital they won't have interns or residents so it won't be something that most vets are going to be pursuing anyway.
Have you all look at the clinical affiliates where their students will train ? for instance The Animal Medical Center - 24/7 Emergency, Urgent, and Specialty Care
I don't think they are even a vet med person, based on their signature.
I am a Vet med person, as well as an Allopathic one.
I'm not sure why you think this would be the case?
When the comparison is between SGU and LIU I believe that's the case because of location and affiliations.

When the comparison is between SGU and LIU I believe that's the case because of location and affiliations.
Island students do just fine securing residencies and internships if they want them in my experience. I've never found them to be disadvantaged in that regard as compared to students in stateside programs. So I'm still not sure why you think a brand new school would offer a leg up there.

Have you all look at the clinical affiliates where their students will train ? for instance The Animal Medical Center - 24/7 Emergency, Urgent, and Specialty Care
I actually disagree that these affiliations would make it easier to get a postgrad training position. Since it looks like 4th year goes through a lot of different private practices instead of being in an academic setting, there's a chance it might actually be more difficult. [This is obviously speculation on my part, but I can see institutions being wary if you havent been in a teaching hospital before]

Reactions: 3 users
@Greengal you’ll probably have better luck finding info on the pre-vet forum than this one, more people post over there, including vets.

Can I ask why you’re applying to transfer to that program, specifically? It's brand new, one of the most expensive, and IIRC, doesn't have a teaching hospital. Staying at SGU is significantly cheaper, according to the VIN calculator, and would graduate you from an established program whose NAVLE pass rate is already known.
I need to be closer to my family. I am a non traditional student and yes I am aware of all you mentioned which is why I wanted to know if anyone had any info about LIU!

It does help. Thank you so much 😊

I need to be closer to my family. I am a non traditional student and yes I am aware of all you mentioned which is why I wanted to know if anyone had any info about LIU!

It does help. Thank you so much 😊
I currently attend LIU as a first year. In terms of living in long island it is super expensive. More expensive then some places in the city. I live in Brooklyn and the price difference in Long island is crazy. Overall with the school they are still figuring some stuff out ( we dont have our own building yet, it was set back to next year opening because of COVID.) But things will be a little more cohesive once we aren't relying on LIU for space for classes. The professors are fantastic, they all try to help you and they are wonderful and attentive. They are happy to go over your exams with you, help you during labs, and are super attentive to emails. I think most have replied to me within an hour (unless they were in class) even on weekends. I have to say it is an adjustment sometimes going to a program that is still working out the kinks, but the education is great, and you get experiences with animals from day one. A lot of us have started clubs ( between us and last years class) so there is a lot of opportunities outside of classes for information and team building as well as well as animal/ clinical experience. I was accepted into 5 of the 8 schools I applied, and before I started I was not sure if I made the right choice attending here. I can absolutely say I think I did, and am happy I get to shape the culture of LIU for future students. If you have any questions feel free to DM me I am happy to answer. :)

Reactions: 1 users
I currently attend LIU as a first year. In terms of living in long island it is super expensive. More expensive then some places in the city. I live in Brooklyn and the price difference in Long island is crazy. Overall with the school they are still figuring some stuff out ( we dont have our own building yet, it was set back to next year opening because of COVID.) But things will be a little more cohesive once we aren't relying on LIU for space for classes. The professors are fantastic, they all try to help you and they are wonderful and attentive. They are happy to go over your exams with you, help you during labs, and are super attentive to emails. I think most have replied to me within an hour (unless they were in class) even on weekends. I have to say it is an adjustment sometimes going to a program that is still working out the kinks, but the education is great, and you get experiences with animals from day one. A lot of us have started clubs ( between us and last years class) so there is a lot of opportunities outside of classes for information and team building as well as well as animal/ clinical experience. I was accepted into 5 of the 8 schools I applied, and before I started I was not sure if I made the right choice attending here. I can absolutely say I think I did, and am happy I get to shape the culture of LIU for future students. If you have any questions feel free to DM me I am happy to answer. :)
Hows is the commute from Brookline?

Hows is the commute from Brookline?
Depends on the day, and time you're going in. Usually 45-1 hour Going and Usually an hour - an hour and 10 mins coming home. Sometimes it varies though. Some days were out at 5 pm so the hour and 10 really isn't bad because its rush hour. The traffic is worse going eastbound in the evening and worse going into the city in the morning ( people from long island work in the city so you're usually going against traffic). But for example, this Tuesday I was late for an exam because I gave myself an hour and a half to go in ( leaving at 6:30 am for an 8 am exam) and I was in traffic for 2 hours. So it's hit or miss and depends on weather too. I usually watch lectures from home in the morning so I go in for labs or skills which are usually at 1 pm or 3 pm and usually an hour is the most I drive. We get out usually at 3 pm or 5 pm so the commute is about the same at both times. The later you leave though ( like if you wait until 6 to leave)the worse the traffic. Also the worst commute is on days we have to go to the farm in Commack ( 45 mins further into long island then the school). The traffic is usually horrible and takes 2 + hours to go home, but this semester we only had to go twice. And the cows/ goats / sheep are so cute its worth the commute.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anybody know if LIU is sending out confirmation emails that they have received your application. 2 months since I submitted all my apps and have gotten "received notifications" from all schools but LIU.

Does anybody know if LIU is sending out confirmation emails that they have received your application. 2 months since I submitted all my apps and have gotten "received notifications" from all schools but LIU.
Thye dont.

We didn't get notifications that our applications were received last year. I was invited for an interview on December 14th ( I believe I was in the first round of interviews) so you should hear something by then, but I think they were still scheduling interviews in late winter early spring ( depending on when the class filled up). I emailed them as well as a few other schools I applied to for confirmation of receipt of application ( if I didn't get one directly from them) as well as saying something like " I am excited to hear back from you. Please let me know if you need any other documentation from me" so you can always do something like that if you want. Nothing wrong with following up.

Last edited:
Hi Meaganm96,

I know it has been a bit but I so appreciate you reaching out. I was not clear in my original post. I will most likely need to start over. I withdrew from SGU in March because I need to be closer to my family. I am a nontraditional applicant. I know you probably don't know this, but I wonder if they will take my first year credits. I am applying for Fall 2022. I really appreciate your positivity! It sounds as if you will do very well here and as a new veterinarian!

• Care
Hi Meaganm96,

I know it has been a bit but I so appreciate you reaching out. I was not clear in my original post. I will most likely need to start over. I withdrew from SGU in March because I need to be closer to my family. I am a nontraditional applicant. I know you probably don't know this, but I wonder if they will take my first year credits. I am applying for Fall 2022. I really appreciate your positivity! It sounds as if you will do very well here and as a new veterinarian!
I totally understand and I'm sorry you had to withdraw, I am sure that was a very hard decision. I am not sure if they will accept the credits but you can always reach out to the veterinary medical college staff and see if they could give you more information. The undergraduate school will not know anything about the requirements/ anything about what the vet school does (trust me, Ive made the mistake asking the wrong departments things and it was like I was sent in a circle.) Here is the number/ email for the veterinary college! Hopefully this helps! If anything comes up feel free to DM me on here. I try to check it when I can but midterms round 3 started this week, so I am not sure how frequently I will be checking! 🙃
LIU CVM: (516) 299-3679
Email: [email protected]

Depends on the day, and time you're going in. Usually 45-1 hour Going and Usually an hour - an hour and 10 mins coming home. Sometimes it varies though. Some days were out at 5 pm so the hour and 10 really isn't bad because its rush hour. The traffic is worse going eastbound in the evening and worse going into the city in the morning ( people from long island work in the city so you're usually going against traffic). But for example, this Tuesday I was late for an exam because I gave myself an hour and a half to go in ( leaving at 6:30 am for an 8 am exam) and I was in traffic for 2 hours. So it's hit or miss and depends on weather too. I usually watch lectures from home in the morning so I go in for labs or skills which are usually at 1 pm or 3 pm and usually an hour is the most I drive. We get out usually at 3 pm or 5 pm so the commute is about the same at both times. The later you leave though ( like if you wait until 6 to leave)the worse the traffic. Also the worst commute is on days we have to go to the farm in Commack ( 45 mins further into long island then the school). The traffic is usually horrible and takes 2 + hours to go home, but this semester we only had to go twice. And the cows/ goats / sheep are so cute its worth the commute.
So you drive to and from school? Do you know of any students who commute with public transportation and how that is? I applied to LIU this cycle and would also want to live in Brooklyn if I end up going to this school, I don't think I would have an apartment with parking to be able to use a car for commute.

So you drive to and from school? Do you know of any students who commute with public transportation and how that is? I applied to LIU this cycle and would also want to live in Brooklyn if I end up going to this school, I don't think I would have an apartment with parking to be able to use a car for commute.
I actually do! A couple of my friends do, and its manageable but the commute definitely is longer. My friend commutes from Brooklyn and its about a 2 hour commute for him via public transit. But I would recommend reaching out to other students if you end up coming here because carpooling is also an option! Also their are complexes in long island that you could pay for parking but they are pretty expensive ( the 3 bedroom that I was supposed to live in with 2 roommates is 4184 a month and 68.50 per car if you want to use their parking ) :sick:.

• Wow
I actually do! A couple of my friends do, and its manageable but the commute definitely is longer. My friend commutes from Brooklyn and its about a 2 hour commute for him via public transit. But I would recommend reaching out to other students if you end up coming here because carpooling is also an option! Also their are complexes in long island that you could pay for parking but they are pretty expensive ( the 3 bedroom that I was supposed to live in with 2 roommates is 4184 a month and 68.50 per car if you want to use their parking ) :sick:.
2 Hours ? each way ? o_O

the 3 bedroom that I was supposed to live in with 2 roommates is 4184 a month and 68.50 per car if you want to use their parking
Ok, I will now stop complaining about the $1000 a month plus $25 for the dog (including parking) that my gf will be paying in Nebraska next year for PA school!

Ok, I will now stop complaining about the $1000 a month plus $25 for the dog (including parking) that my gf will be paying in Nebraska next year for PA school!
Yea my portion is 1450 and I don't even live there smh, thinking about it makes me want to throw up :sick:

Side note, anyone looking for an apartment that has a dog, if you get them emotional support certified ( a lot of places do it online and it costs like 100$) they cannot charge you pet rent/ pet deposits, and it can sometimes help you get into a place that doesn't normally allow pets. Just from personal experience with my dog. Also you can do it with cats as well. :)
Please do not do this. People abusing the ESA system just makes things more difficult for people with ACTUAL service animals.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
very hard to find a place that will take dogs (especially over 10 lbs) and this was the only thing that seemed to make it easier.
Still not a reason to suggest abuse of the ESA system. Part of the obligation of owning a pet is housing them ethically. If people come to vet school with a dog, they come knowing these obligations. This specific obligations tends to be more inconvenient and expensive. Thats part of the deal. If having affordable housing with a dog is a necessity, whether or not to apply to the vet school with the most expensive area housing around it should be considered prior to submitting the application.

It's basically like saying fake a leg injury to get better parking.

Please do not do this. People abusing the ESA system just makes things more difficult for people with ACTUAL service animals.
It's not abusing the system if you have a condition that qualifies, to be honest, a lot of people do not know thats even an option for their mental health issues. Service animals are a different category then ESAs, I understand your opinion on the matter but there is nothing wrong with looking into your options. There is nothing unethical to seeing if that applies to your personal situation and utilizing resources that are there for that reason. Also a lot of people with documented ESA's end up in apartments with fees for their pets they are not legally supposed to be charged for, so it's important to check that out and I wanted to draw attention to that. In order to receive the ESA paperwork you need a documented qualified condition, so I'm not suggesting to lie, just to explore the option to see if you have a qualified condition. I removed the post since it seems to have been taken the wrong way and offended some people. That was not my intention.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
offended some people
Not offended, just offering the perspective of the ethical issues presented in the initial post and follow up edit. No where in the initial post was there a caveat of registering a dog as an ESA *if the owner has a qualifying condition*. It was phrased as an option for people to use for cheaper housing. Your second post is completely valid and had that information been included in the initial post as well, you wouldn't have had any negative response.

Not offended, just offering the perspective of the ethical issues presented in the initial post and follow up edit. No where in the initial post was there a caveat of registering a dog as an ESA *if the owner has a qualifying condition*. It was phrased as an option for people to use for cheaper housing. Your second post is completely valid and had that information been included in the initial post as well, you wouldn't have had any negative response.
That was my mistake then, that was not what I meant to convey. My apologies

Ok Now back to our regularly scheduled application paranoia.

• Haha
Just got my interview invitation 01/12/2022. Since LIU’s accreditation status is provisional what will happen if it remains that way after we graduate from the program?
It will not affect you; you will still be able to take your boards. And there is no chance it will not get full accreditation. That just doesn't happen in the USA.

Because the last time they tried to deny a school accreditation, they were sued and the AVMA has since lost their nerve.
The Univeristy of Arizona got denied twice before opening. That's why they are so picky with admissions right now. This is funny because they are at the same stage as LIU (Provisional), but I have not seen a similar post on the Arizona forums. It is more of an irrational fear because LIU along was not a famous name.

The Univeristy of Arizona got denied twice before opening. That's why they are so picky with admissions right now. This is funny because they are at the same stage as LIU (Provisional), but I have not seen a similar post on the Arizona forums. It is more of an irrational fear because LIU along was not a famous name.

Arizona was denied multiple times for provisional accreditation because of their attempts to make their program similar to European programs where high schoolers are the main pool of applicants after a fashion. It was simply wild, tbh. Thats simply not going to fly with how the education system works in the US and is a very reasonable reason to deny accreditation.

When Western University in California was denied accreditation, it was because they were the first school going with the distributive model where the school does not have an on site hospital. They sued the AVMA, which eventually caved. They have since folded overall on accreditation standards. I don't feel the Western situation is comparable to the Arizona position.

Why did you transfer out if you dont mind me asking? I just got accepted into sgu
My first grandchild was born and I needed to help my family. SGU is a very good university. I never felt I lacked an education there.

I have a beef to pick with all opening vet schools especially those not trying to establish a clinic. I think most programs are financially motivated anymore and it makes me see red. At this point, it is financially predatory in my opinion. This goes for LMU, LIU, Midwestern, Arizona as the most recent ones I can think of off the top of my head.

But we're now at breaking point where we need more vets, it wasn't like that until just this last year or two, I just hope they produce quality candidates but I'm starting to worry for a number of reasons.

I have a beef to pick with all opening vet schools especially those not trying to establish a clinic. I think most programs are financially motivated anymore and it makes me see red. At this point, it is financially predatory in my opinion. This goes for LMU, LIU, Midwestern, Arizona as the most recent ones I can think of off the top of my head.

But we're now at breaking point where we need more vets, it wasn't like that until just this last year or two, I just hope they produce quality candidates but I'm starting to worry for a number of reasons.
Am sure they will in the end even if it is for the benjamins $$$, their alumni is their reputation and the success of their alumni is directly proportional to their future ability to increase their endowment.