Living at home...???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realruby2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

i recently got accepted to a med school thats only a 20 minute drive from my house. If I live at home for at least my first year, i know i would save a great amount of money because I wont have to worry about paying rent, utilities, food etc. The only drawback is that studying at home might be kind of difficult. Anyone in the same boat as me and decided to live at home? Any advice would really help!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Ruby,

I got into COMP which is only 20 miles from my house. It's not exactly a 20 minute drive (more like 30-40 minutes), but I will be commuting from my house (maybe the first or even the first two years). I really don't know how it is going to turn out, but there are many med students that commute about as long or even longer than us and still do great in med school. I don't think money is the problem. My folks are super supportive of me living in their house and if your folks are supportive of your decision to commute from home, then no big deal. I understand that living close to campus (walking distance) can be very convenient, but living at home also has its values. You don't have to make your own food or eat out, save $$, be close to your family,...One down side may be the lack of peace and quiet or you may have to run errands or somethng...Let me know what you think.

Rickey

I lived at home during my graduate studies, but maybe it's different or more difficult to do for med school. I just wouldn't know until I try commuting from home.