Living at home

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EndangeredPasta

what?
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is not exactly topic of Pre-dental, but more people post here (with more experience) and it is somewhat relative.

I'm pretty positive that I will be living at home for freshman year of college. The University I will be going to is located downtown, I live about 25 min away in a suburb. I think the biggest reason for doing so is mostly money. It just seems like such a big price to pay each year to live somewhere that 25 minutes away could be free. Any opinions on this?
I do feel like I may be missing the college experience! But at the same time I have a really good relationship with my parents (They let me stay the night at my girlfriends, or stay out late...etc). Am I really missing the college experience? Anyway I could gain more college experience while still living at home? Ideas?

P.S the University really isn't that well known or great, but it is pretty big and is located seriously like 5 minutes away from the Dental School I want to go to.

Members don't see this ad.

You will be better off staying home unless your parents can pay your rent, food, etc. Taking on extra debt would be really stupid if you have the option not to.

Stay at home. I'd live with my parents if I could. I pay about $3k/month in bills right now and would love to cut down my cost of living.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just so you have no regrets in the future, you may want to live on campus for at least the first year of college. From then on, you'll build a base of friends and classmates for academics, social, ECs. I have a few friends that ended up commuting towards the end of college to save money.

Don't worry sometimes your friends just disappear after they are done with classes regardless of where they live; you see friends in some classes one semester, then you may not see them again until graduation...it's not like a hs where you have a group of people you always study with. And, if it is cheaper to stay at home, why not. The less loan you have, the better.

Just so you have no regrets in the future, you may want to live on campus for at least the first year of college. From then on, you'll build a base of friends and classmates for academics, social, ECs. I have a few friends that ended up commuting towards the end of college to save money.

I enjoyed my time in the dorms. Meet a lot of great people and I would highly recommend it. An experience you can never get back.

Is it the most economical? No. You get stuck with an expensive meal plan but that is part of the catch.

Would I do it again? Yes, in a heartbeat.