Living in Detroit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

autumnchai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any ideas of good places to live in/around Detroit that are safe, cheap and relatively close to DMC/Wayne?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're local, you probably know about the University Towers. It's okay, but nothing to write home about. I think there are new condos/apartments on the riverfront and that's pretty close, but I don't know if those are possible on a student budget.

Otherwise, how about Royal Oak? Granted, it's a bit of a drive, but it's a cool area with lots of neat bars, cafes, and stuff, and young people are all over. Then again, studying for gross would be a pain if you are 25 minutes away from the lab.

Anyway, people I know at Wayne live in some new river front apartments, if I find out what they are called I'll let you know.

Still can't believe I didn't get an interview from Wayne ... Those bastards ... Not that I'm bitter or anything :)

Simul
Tulane Med '05

Define "relatively close"...how long would you prefer the commute to be? What is the absolute limit? Freeway commute or sideroads?

Define "safe" too while you are at it...can you walk to the store alone midday? Can you leave your car running outside 7-11?

I grew up in Westland, which is about ~ 40 min in good traffic, but pretty safe comparatively.

Allen Park? Dearborn? They are around 20 minute drives. Royal Oak is good too, but kind of expensive. Hazel Park is a straight shot down 75.

The area around Wayne has five or more large hospitals, some museums, etc. and isn't as "unsafe" as the rest of the city is rumored to be.

Is it just you, or are there kids/sig other to think about?

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in Plymouth, which is 25.2 miles and 50 minutes (on average - I've done it in 28 minutes flat...). All highway, I live just a mile from the ramp.

Very safe. A handful of my classmates live out in this area, mostly in Canton. As for the long drive, I listen to my music (my hubby hates it).

Many folks also live in the Pointes. Personally, I hate city living so I wanted to live as far away as I could. There's one girl that I know of who lives out around 32 Mile...now THAT'S a commute!
There are lots of nicer neighborhoods not too far from school, especially near New Center (Henry Ford Hospital area). I know several folks who have bought homes in that area.
Kristi

The best thing I can say as a first year is to LIVE DOWNTOWN. Driving sucks and you don't want to waste your time driving. If you are going to go to school in the big-D, live in the big-D.

Places that are nice and affordable with financial aid(and safe for all the scardy cats) are:

Lafayette Towers
Harbortown
Riverfron Towers

Good Luck to All,
jimmybee

the eastside of Detroit bordering the Pointes is nice also. A quick commute down Jefferson or Gratiot. The area would be east of Alter West of Mack where Outer Drive runs through that area. Just of the Cadieux Exit on I-94

Thanks for the replies:). I am from Lansing (downtown Lansing) so safe for me means being able to stop at red lights without worrying too much, being able to take a broad daylight jog, and being likely to make it from my parked car to my apartment at night without being mugged on a frequent basis...no plans to leave cars running at the 7-11 (not that ANYONE would want my car) or invite strangers in.

Relatively close means 1/2 hour commute or less. I would rather pay a little more to live somewhere interesting than to be in a place with little culture, community or weekend options (for the times when I can't study anymore lest I go mad).

My sig fig is in Haslett (just east of Lansing) and will be there during my med school years so somewhere on the north or east side of Detroit (if I decide not to live close to the school) would be ideal.

Thanks...Katie

There are a lot of places to live that are about 30 minutes from downtown. My friend lived at home in Bloomfield Hills and some of my other friends lived in Farmington Hills, Southfield, Royal Oak(which is getting expensive) and even Ferndale which is close by. I don't think traffic is as bad there on the highways. I had a friend live in Riverfront Apartments downtown and its a gated property right by the river and it was nice.

there are a lot of nice places to rent in grosse pointe park at very reasonable prices. It's only about a 10-15 minute drive downtown, via jefferson. check out the classifieds in the free press, or in the grosse pointe news