Living in South Jersey and communting to Jefferson?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wizenedone

Indeed...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to commute to Jefferson if you live in South Jersey? or is it just not possible due to traffic etc? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

do you live near patco in South Jersey? I think that the train would make it possible but I wouldn't want to deal w/ traffic and parking

Is it possible to commute to Jefferson if you live in South Jersey? or is it just not possible due to traffic etc? Thoughts?

How about carpooling with me?:) I live in gloucester County and driving to the patco line takes as long if not longer than driving to Jeff

Members don't see this ad :)
mere khayal ye hai jaaneman:

tu twada kar leke mere ghaar pe aaja aur hum dono malai kofta khaake ash karenge. kidha?

to all the chokrio out there:

college bhanva jathi nathi ne java deti nathi...maa mane chokri gamti nathi :( :(

seriously though...depends where you live in south jersey - i hear about a lot of people coming from cherry hill to philly and mount laurel to philly - not a long drive.....traffic in the city can be bad though :(

My friend commuted in for third and fourth year to Jeff from Cherry Hill. Honestly, the traffic is much more civil coming into downtown from Jersey than from the PA suburbs. Only thing is, you will have to pay the $3 bridge toll once/day.

Are you talking for M1/2? You can take Patco and get off at 9/10th and Locust. That's disembarking on campus. Driving? I wouldn't recommend; parking is a huge PITA unless you want to pay $$$.

If you live along the Patco line it's a no brainer. However, if you don't (like myself), it will probably take less time to drive right into the city. And yes, you gotta pay for parking. That's why I am looking for someone to carpool with.

Ouch! The Ben Franklin Bridge will put you out in Center City, and there is reasonable monthly parking at TUSPM at 8th and Race, but that commute is going to kill you. Take the subway and move to the outskirts of Philly if you don't want to live in the city. That's what I used to do.

Perhaps you should consider public transportation into Market Station - but that might still be too long of a walk - especially in the mornings if your in a hurry.

Other solution: NJTransit bus. From where I live I can get a monthly pass for $83 and there are plenty of trips and some of them are express into Center City. Drops you off anywhere on MArket between 6th and Broad. I think I'll try it for the first month. HEck $83 beats $300+ for the alternative of driving into the city. With the difference I can pay the interest on my Stafford Unsubsidized every month.

Perhaps you should consider public transportation into Market Station - but that might still be too long of a walk - especially in the mornings if your in a hurry.

You can't commute from south Jersey into Market East. Market East serves exclusively SEPTA which (aside from their West Trenton [R3] and Trenton [R7] stops), does not serve southern Jersey.

Walking from Market East to Jefferson is not a long walk. It should take you about 10 minutes if you're on crutches.

Jesus DO - I sent you a PM based on another post in a different forum.

It depends on where you live. If you live close to a PATCO station - it's very doable. A lot of our professors and attendings do this. You could also consider taking a bus, as plauto suggested.

I took the PATCO into Center city everyday when I did an away at Jeff. You can leave your car at the PATCO station, so you don't have to live within walking distance to the PATCO.

You can't commute from south Jersey into Market East. Market East serves exclusively SEPTA which (aside from their West Trenton [R3] and Trenton [R7] stops), does not serve southern Jersey.

Walking from Market East to Jefferson is not a long walk. It should take you about 10 minutes if you're on crutches.

Jesus DO - I sent you a PM based on another post in a different forum.

It depends on where you live. If you live close to a PATCO station - it's very doable. A lot of our professors and attendings do this. You could also consider taking a bus, as plauto suggested.

He might mean the AMTRAK AC line. I think that stops somewhere along Market too and has Cherry Hill, Lindendwold, etc. stops. But its way down, like 30th street, which would be a hike.

Market East is a local SEPTA line that's like two blocks from Main, Gibbon, Rothman, etc. That's not going to help you unless you're coming in from the north or west, or you transfer from the AMTRAK line onto SEPTA. That would be a long commute though because SEPTA SUCKS.

He might mean the AMTRAK AC line. I think that stops somewhere along Market too and has Cherry Hill, Lindendwold, etc. stops. But its way down, like 30th street, which would be a hike.

Market East is a local SEPTA line that's like two blocks from Main, Gibbon, Rothman, etc. That's not going to help you unless you're coming in from the north or west, or you transfer from the AMTRAK line onto SEPTA. That would be a long commute though because SEPTA SUCKS.

Oh, I'd forgotten about that.

Yeah, the Amtrak train would take you to 30th Street Station. You'd then have to take the Market-Frankford Blue Line to Market East, which would be a < 10 minute ride. It wouldn't be a terribly bad commute. For medicine, I had to take SEPTA into Market East and then transfer to the Broad Street Orange Line - it was fine.