Pets and living alone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anotheranonymous

Reaction score
Ok so I really want to get a dog (probably a small toy poodle or mix breed) and am starting as an Ms1. I think I can live within five minutes meaning I can come home for lunch to let a dog out, etc. I will not be living with someone who will have a different schedule and might even live alone (but that’s a separate problem of me not being sure if I’m ready to be far from home and alone...) I just wonder if anyone has done this and thinks it’s doable and what happens when I end up with clinical rotations and residency (which hopefully by then I can live with my SO)

Members don't see this ad.

... did you intend to post this in confidential consult? Because there's no reason this needs to be confidential, and the fact that you're asking "has anyone done this" makes me think you're soliciting opinions from other current med students.

Not a bunch of old fogies :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
... did you intend to post this in confidential consult? Because there's no reason this needs to be confidential, and the fact that you're asking "has anyone done this" makes me think you're soliciting opinions from other current med students.

Not a bunch of old fogies :)
Might’ve put this in the wrong place. I’m quite unfamiliar with the site still!

edit: also don’t know how to delete this, so this is where we are at 😂

IMO, just wait. You are going to be super busy in med school. People I know who had dogs in medical school were always running back to the house and stuff to let the dog out and this and that. Focus on your studies and then when you are done, get a dog.

Reactions: 8 users
Since this isn't a question that requires confidential consult, I've moved this to the regular med student forum.

Reactions: 1 users
I got a dog during first year, and yes first few weeks were difficult, but after that it was a breeze and one of the best decision I have ever made. During the first 2 years, I stayed at home a lot so I spent a lot of time with my dog. The emotional support I got from him was tremendous. I don’t think I could survive med school without my dog. Third year will be a bit harder, but if you live 5 mins away, it should be okay.

• Love
Hey OP, I’m also a rising M1 with a dog. I live alone, so I also don’t rely on anyone to take care of my dog. I’ve had my dog for a few years now, and he’s almost 10. He’s very lazy and sleeps most of the day. I had him throughout graduate school and would go home between classes to let him out/hangout with him. He does fine home alone with free reign of the apartment while I’m at work all day. I think M1/M2 will be mostly fine. I’m a little worried about M3/M4 but I’ll make it work.

I’m a big fan of dogs, and I think if you want one and your lifestyle can support one, you should go for it. All that being said, I think it’s a really, really bad idea to get a puppy M1. You’ll have to worry about puppy training on top of transitioning to medical school, and by the time you’re in rotations your dog may be trained but will still have the energy of a 3-4yr old dog and probably won’t deal well with being left alone for extended periods of time. If you’re dead set on getting a dog, I’d recommend adopting an older, lower energy breed. Best of luck to you!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I got a dog during first year, and yes first few weeks were difficult, but after that it was a breeze and one of the best decision I have ever made. During the first 2 years, I stayed at home a lot so I spent a lot of time with my dog. The emotional support I got from him was tremendous. I don’t think I could survive med school without my dog. Third year will be a bit harder, but if you live 5 mins away, it should be okay.

Not sure what your third year was like but I’m on surgery right now and I am gone from 4:45 until at least 5:30pm 5-6 days a week. I would feel bad about leaving my dog alone for 13 hours a day almost every day of the week for months at a time. The hours are similar for medicine and OB (and part of psych and peds).

Now if the dog is older and sleeps most of the day anyway then it might be different. But younger dogs who want to play and run around would probably not be very happy.

Reactions: 5 users
Not sure what your third year was like but I’m on surgery right now and I am gone from 4:45 until at least 5:30pm 5-6 days a week. I would feel bad about leaving my dog alone for 13 hours a day almost every day of the week for months at a time. The hours are similar for medicine and OB (and part of psych and peds).

Now if the dog is older and sleeps most of the day anyway then it might be different. But younger dogs who want to play and run around would probably not be very happy.
Rotations like OB and surgeries are definitely longer, but OP only lives 5 mins away and can run home during lunch. But the above post made a good point, pick a breed and a dog that is low energy and lazy. My dog is lazy so he does not mind staying inside an apartment by himself. Also, OP, where is your family? When I rotated with surgery, I actually took my dog home and let him stay with my family.

I live alone with my dog and she's home alone for twelve hours a day M-F pretty much without fail.

But when we're together she gets my attention and I take her for walks at least 2-3 times a week (definitely every Sat/Sun at minimum) and she gets to sleep in the bed with me at night and be little spoon. She seems happy. I seem happy. We're doing alright.

Many people in my MD/PhD program got dogs in their first two years of med school. If you count people with cats, then I would say it's more common for people to have pets than not. Some people even have kids during med school. Having roommates, neighbors, and friends nearby is extremely helpful when you live alone and have pets, especially for breaks when you're out of town. It is very possible that by M3 or residency your SO will be in town. Training on this path is long, and you shouldn't think of it as you have to pause life in the meantime. You'll have more time in med school than you will in residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many people in my MD/PhD program got dogs in their first two years of med school. If you count people with cats, then I would say it's more common for people to have pets than not. Some people even have kids during med school. Having roommates, neighbors, and friends nearby is extremely helpful when you live alone and have pets, especially for breaks when you're out of town. It is very possible that by M3 or residency your SO will be in town. Training on this path is long, and you shouldn't think of it as you have to pause life in the meantime. You'll have more time in med school than you will in residency.

Not many of those things are relevant to getting a dog. Cats are completely different. I have 2, and they sleep 15-16 hours a day. I also have 2 kids, and kids are also completely different from dogs. And banking on having an SO by M3 is probably not the safest bet.

Lots of people do lots of things and justify things to themselves in numerous ways. There are certainly ways to get a dog in med school if you live alone, but I think the type/age/activity level of the dog and proximity to school/family are important to thing about first.

OP if you have a bit of a liking for cats, I would get a sweet cat. You get the loves and the emotional support and cats are more solitary than dogs and okay with being left alone longer. They also have litter boxes so you don't have to worry about running home to take them out.

Dogs are more like forever 2 year olds. They constantly want to see us, wait for us to get back by the door (look up Go Pros on dogs when their owners are away videos on youtube), and they feel shame/bad if they go in the house because they couldn't hold it til you got back. They require walks and training. And it's a COMMON MISCONCEPTION that toy breeds, because they are small, require any less attention. Many toy breeds are intelligent and will become extremely bored and destructive if left alone for long hours. My Chihuahua is 17 years old and still requires a hearty amount of attention every day.

There are certainly ways to get a dog in med school if you live alone, but I think the type/age/activity level of the dog and proximity to school/family are important to thing about first.
Oh absolutely. Bottom line is, if you want a dog and understand the commitment, then get the dog, because life doesn't immediately get easier after med school. I have a lot of pets, some of which are high maintenance at times, and I'm commonly not home for 12+ hours a day. Another thing I see people do is hiring someone to walk and check on their dogs once a day during clinical years. If having a dog is what you want, then you make it work.

FWIW ... I waited until *after* I completed my education, residency and fellowship to get a pet.

Why? Because I was too busy at that time and unable to set aside the spare time or money I needed for full-time pet ownership.

Although I sincerely and dearly wanted a pet (having grown up with multiple family pets), I still waited patiently.

Here are some of the reasons *why* I waited before getting a pet:

1. Pets enjoy companionship. Contrary to popular opinion, most pets are not solitary creatures.
2. Pet ownership is a significant responsibility - it's analagous to having children. For instance, pets need daily food and quality time.
3. Pets are a significant financial responsibility. They need a variety of daily supplies (e.g., food) plus veterinary medical care because pets (just like humans) need vaccinations, or they become ill, or they present with costly medical issues as they grow older. When I adopted my pet, I purchased a pet insurance policy. Pet insurance policies cost money. Having completed my training and earning a regular salary, I was fully prepared to take care of my pet's social, financial and veterinary needs 24/7.

Here is a friendly suggestion:

If you want to enjoy dogs as an M1, you can volunteer some of your spare time with a well-organized dog rescue and adoption group or with an animal shelter in your area. By the way, lots of medical students volunteer at the dog and cat groups in my town - they love it!

As a volunteer, you will be able to spend time with lots of dogs, and help them find new homes BUT without the responsibility of full-time pet ownership. Plus, you will be able to be a volunteer, on your own schedule, and without any financial commitments or veterinary medical obligations that are commonly associated with pet ownership.

Just a friendly suggestion, that's all.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
If you want to enjoy dogs as an M1, you can volunteer some of your spare time with a well-organized dog rescue and adoption group or with an animal shelter in your area. By the way, lots of medical students volunteer at the dog and cat groups in my town - they love it!

As a volunteer, you will be able to spend time with lots of dogs, and help them find new homes BUT without the responsibility of full-time pet ownership. Plus, you will be able to be a volunteer, on your own schedule, and without any financial commitments or veterinary medical obligations that are commonly associated with pet ownership.

If you're simply volunteering as a dog walker then it's a low time and resource commitment, but be aware that animals that require fostering are often very high maintenance with medical and/or behavior issues, hence they're deemed not immediately adoptable to the public. I (and classmates of mine in med school) foster and commonly place our more well adapted animals with other med students. As someone who won't be done with fellowship until my late 30s/early 40s, I had the most time for pets in those first two years of med school.

Get a cat. They’ll only let you bother them a few times a day anyways.

I still live alone. I didn't adopt my pup until after my first year of fellowship (when my schedule got MUCH nicer). I wouldn't have been able to do it during residency or chief year, because I worked really long hours at the hospital. I'm in a clinic-based specialty and she is wound up if I'm gone for more than 7 hours at a time.

I also adopted her when she was older (about 3 and a half), and her separation anxiety was horrendous. I had to hire someone to sit with her during the day for like the first 2 months after I adopted her because she *couldn't* be left alone without whining and barking and being destructive. I was eventually able to train it out of her and we're both doing well now, but that was a really rough couple months (and rather expensive...).

If you have family nearby that doesn't mind caring for your dog, it might not be a bad idea. But they require a lot of time and energy.

If you get a puppy probably will be super though, it is quite literally like having an infant for a few months, getting up in the middle of the night, peeing and pooping all the time etc, you need puppy classes, socialization and lots of time with the dog so that it is well adjusted and has no separation anxiety etc it is way more than running back from school and letting it out.

dogs are excellent emotional support animals and if you really want one get an older dog >2 years, they tend to be housebroken, most are pretty well adjusted unless came from terrible homes and are happy to hang. There’s also Rover.com where you can pay someone to come check on the dog and walk it etc and obviously doggy day care is there

dogs, like kids, need a lot of your time and there are plenty of people with kids in med school, including those who do it solo. But it is easier to put a dog’s needs on the back burner compared to a kid and they really do suffer for it. If you have experience with dogs (have had one before) and have the emotional bandwidth to give it attention than get one. Otherwise wait until you graduate and have more predictable schedule.

cats are also great companions and require a lot less of your time though they also need love and attention. If you’re allergic (like me) orange tabbies tend to elicit the least allergic reaction and are also super affectionate

Ok so I really want to get a dog (probably a small toy poodle or mix breed) and am starting as an Ms1. I think I can live within five minutes meaning I can come home for lunch to let a dog out, etc. I will not be living with someone who will have a different schedule and might even live alone (but that’s a separate problem of me not being sure if I’m ready to be far from home and alone...) I just wonder if anyone has done this and thinks it’s doable and what happens when I end up with clinical rotations and residency (which hopefully by then I can live with my SO)
It probably depends a lot on the breed. Any dog needs quite a bit of attention/exercise. Some do it but they have family around or a significant other who pitches quite a bit. Do you have any experience with dogs, firsthand? If it was your second dog I would say sure but if this is your first time I would say maybe ask around and talk to a couple breeders/pet owners you trust who can tell you what that specific dog requires. Get specific information like how often it needs to be walked, fed, etc. Like with a kid, it's not fair to take on that responsibility and then not have time for it and obviously if you choose to get it make sure you do so ASAP so you can figure things out before medical school.

A friend of mine got a dog during his masters program before medical school but he also had a friend living with him for a large part of the time who took care of it when he was studying and he frequently drops it off at his parents place when he's busy. He now has his second dog in residency and he's doing quite well. See what others here say.

Last edited:
If you get an older dog this is fine. They would just be happy to have a home to sleep in all day. If you get a puppy this is not a good way to raise it, they require far more attention than what you can give in med school and residency.

Reactions: 4 users
I would volunteer with your local animal rescue. It gives you “no-commitment” time with the doggies while doing something great for your community. You get a chance to make non-Med school friends.

I would volunteer with your local animal rescue. It gives you “no-commitment” time with the doggies while doing something great for your community. You get a chance to make non-Med school friends.
Ahhh this would rub salt in the wound for me and I'd want a doggie even more!

Dogs are very social creatures, and need a lot of human contact, not to mention exercise. If you live alone, I think you should either delay getting a dog until you live with SO or roommates, or adopt a cat or a rabbit instead. Cats and bunnies both enjoy being around people, but have a lot more tolerance for spending long days/overnights alone.

Dogs are social pack animals who are attached to their humans and miss them terribly. Particularly toy breeds are very high energy and become destructive if they do not have something to do. Please, please do not do this. It would be the equivalent of adopting a child and leaving it alone most of the time. This is a family member, not something you can play with at leisure whenever you have “5 minutes.” I did not feel comfortable devoting time to a dog until I became an attending AND someone stayed at home with the dog 95% of the day until I got home. My dog has never been alone for more than 2 hours. And FYI, many rescues will not even allow you to adopt if the dog will be alone most of the time. That is how important socialization is. I’m not trying to be mean, I just have extremely strong feelings about this as someone who has seen this exact situation go south. Dogs get depressed, lonely, and anxious. It is unfair to them to leave them alone for most of the day, just as it would be to us humans.

1) get a cat
2) don’t assume you’ll have lunch breaks during M3
3) does your school do away rotations? I had fam med 4 hours from home in student housing that did not allow pets