living on own?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaufman170

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going into my 2nd yr of medical school, and I am debating whether or not I should live alone this year?? what are the advantages and would suggest doing this (from personal experience)???

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going into my 2nd yr of medical school, and I am debating whether or not I should live alone this year?? what are the advantages and would suggest doing this (from personal experience)???

I would love to live alone but I have a family and they won't leave!! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, living alone is a little more expensive but you can do what every you want and not have to worry about the roommate. I enjoyed living alone, even at the added expense while I was and undergraduate and graduate student. But alas I got hitched. No more parties without permission (jk).

Get a dog, they are awesome!

DUKEsize.png

Pros:
You don't have to worry about roommates always being around
You can eat everything in the fridge without worrying if it actually was yours or not
You can have your SO over with out worrying about who is going to care
You only have to clean when you want to
There's never an issue of "who's turn" it is to do something

Cons:
If you have never lived alone before, it can get kinda lonely
It's more expensive. Not just the rent, but remember that you have to pay for all utilities yourself.
If you don't have all the furnishings of an apartment, you have to go out and buy them.
There's no one to blame for the mess

Get a dog, they are awesome!

View attachment 10375

Probably not a good idea in med school. But there are some that manage dogs. This can limit your options for housing and a lot of places add extra fees every month for pets.

Pros:
You don't have to worry about roommates always being around
You can eat everything in the fridge without worrying if it actually was yours or not
You can have your SO over with out worrying about who is going to care
You only have to clean when you want to
There's never an issue of "who's turn" it is to do something

Cons:
If you have never lived alone before, it can get kinda lonely
It's more expensive. Not just the rent, but remember that you have to pay for all utilities yourself.
If you don't have all the furnishings of an apartment, you have to go out and buy them.
There's no one to blame for the mess

I lived in an old lady's raunchy basement before my fiancee moved out here my first year. While it was Kind of lonely at times, I found that I spend a lot of time at the library and thus loneliness didn't matter that much. From my experience roommates can be good or really bad. If you could find an easy going person you get along with, then I would say go for it. My buddy lived alone his first year, then thought he might try the roommate thing second year. He hated living with a bunch of roommates so he hooked up with one of them and moved out with her for third year. Now they are married and will live happily ever.:laugh:

Dogs are way better than roommates on soooo many levels. Now if only they could earn their keep...

I will be living alone for my first year.. Ive never lived alone before.. but I HATE roommates.. except for my SO, but he can't come with.. :(