1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

LizzyM for DO schools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by toast861, Jan 3, 2009.

1. toast861

toast861 Carpetbagger
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Hey there. Wondering if anyone knows the LizzyM scores for DO schools? Did a search and didn't find anything... :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Chocolate Bear

Chocolate Bear Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

The variance in GPA and MCAT that you'll find on "this side" (pre-DO) is so great that I'm not sure it would do you any good, if there were a LizzyM score recommendation for each school. Most schools average around a 3.4+ and a 25+. Those are VERY ROUGH numbers used to give you SOME SORT of reference. Don't quote me on anything. The higher you are with both of those stats, the better. :) :luck:

4. JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I agree w C-Bear. DO schools tend to take a lot into consideration when anlyzing an applicant. Also, each school is looking for something different, and a lot of DO schools are newer and haven't quite established where their average numbers lie. I'd say it's best to post your stats and ask about schools on an individual basis. You can also check out mdapplicants.com to get somewhat of an idea (though I've always felt like the sample size was a bit small/skewed).

5. Chocolate Bear

I was in a hurry earlier, so thanks for bringing this up.

I've seen a BUNCH of applicants who were VERY non-traditional, screwed up in undergrad, came back and proved themselves in a post-bac or second Bachelor's program, but still had a subpar GPA (b/c of so many hours accumulated with a crappy GPA), had great EC's/life experiences, and got into one or several DO schools. These same applicants got no love from MD schools, and many have gone on to rock med school and the boards.

My point is that DO schools can be very forgiving, and have passed on many squeaky clean applicants in favor of those who know what they want and have great and varied experiences and backgrounds to bring to the table.

6. chewsnuffles

chewsnuffles is a series of tubes
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Since DO schools are forgiving (within reason), the LizzyM score might be even MORE applicable, i.e. the GPA + MCAT actually does allow for one side of your app to compensate for the other. With allo, a 3.0 and a 40 MCAT won't get you in, but with a DO schools I like to say that they allow one part of your application to be slighly sub-par if the rest is solid. (Two parts... I wouldn't count on it, but one part, yes). Same with a 4.0 GPA and a 20 MCAT, you'd probably get some love as well.

7. Chocolate Bear

I have seen lots of support for your point. I just meant that it's difficult to get solid averages for each DO school. But I definitely see your point that an increase in acceptable variance in these two numbers, at a given school, would make a LizzyM score even more applicable, rather than less.

8. Doctor4Life1769

Doctor4Life1769 **tr0llin, ridin dirty**
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ask LizzyM.

Or better yet, have good grades (3.5+) and good MCAT scores (24+), have extracurriculars done, impress your interview (and don't give a jack about a LizzyM score) and get accepted.

The whole LizzyM score concept is numbingly ____________ (use your imagination).

9. Chocolate Bear

Exactly. Students will often interpret this advice as "Make sure your LizzyM score is a 59+." :rolleyes:

I agree with you.

10. stonewall22

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I was little too proactive in that I met with admissions directors at a couple different schools (state allopathic schools) and asked about acceptance. I have around a 3.2 cum, both told me that with my ecs if I got a good MCAT (32+, I'd have a GREAT chance, and these are both schools with averages around 3.6-3.8 and 30).