Llsa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMFreakz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for you attendings out there. do you guys find that you need to scrutizine the readings much before you take the exams? can you save the test while you're taking it, or is timed? Have you guys been reading the articles/scannign while taking them? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

They're not timed and you can save them anytime you want. You can also fail it up to 3 times before you can't take it anymore.

The LLSA tests are really more like study guides. You have to take 8 to be eligible to recert.

I do the CCME LLSA courses. They give you CD discussions with Billy Mallon et. al. and a good summary/outline of the articles. I always to the CME portion too and that's how I rack up my CME.

Members don't see this ad :)
..uugh.
So I'm going to knock out 2009 and 2010 LLSA, and from what I can see, I can't get CME directly through ABEM as the tests are "old".

I see that I can go through emedhome for $85/test.

Anyone know of any other route?

(pretty pissed about this money making scheme)

..uugh.
So I'm going to knock out 2009 and 2010 LLSA, and from what I can see, I can't get CME directly through ABEM as the tests are "old".

I see that I can go through emedhome for $85/test.

Anyone know of any other route?

(pretty pissed about this money making scheme)

Are you sure you need to do 2009 and 10? If you grad residency in 2009, took written 2009, and oral in 2010, wouldn't 2011 be first? I finally got boarded 2011, and I was specifically told that LLSA kicked in this year.

agree w/ apollyon - i finished in 2009 like Tyson, got boarded in 2010, and 2011 is the first one i had to take.

you can look up what's required for your "cohort" based on when you were boarded on the ABEM site.

...no, I don't have to take 2009 or 2010, but we have a group of about 15 MD's that are going to do it (allowable under the rules), so I'm jumping in, and therefore only have two more for this first 5 year block.

...once again, this is all red tape to a different level..."There is no need to complete an LLSA test in one sitting. It is open-book, and ABEM diplomates and former diplomates may prepare for it and take it in groups."

So in reality, you can sit with 300 MD's in a conference room, spit out the answer, all 300 can put it down, and you can all pass.... What a great idea for assessing our medical knowledge upkeep!

I'm just trying to figure out the "CME" that we can get, as it looks like from ABEM you can only get 2011 credit from them, but can submit 2009 and 2010 from outside agencies.

If 15 other docs are going to do it (and have to), why aren't they ponying up?

At my last job, they would have these get togethers (the guy hosting would have the soda and beer), and they would just bang these out. As you say, open book and collusion is allowed and accepted and encouraged.

I usually buy the EB Medicine/Emergency Medicine Practice study guide each year--mainly for the CME. It gives you a massive 35 hours of CME and gives quick summaries of each article. It provides much more CME for your buck than the ABEM offering.