Jcrichards

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2004
Status
I have been reading several threads with concerns about LLU's stance as a Seventh-Day Adventist, conservative Christian school. Being SDA myself, and having attended three years of undergrad at an SDA college so far, I wanted to open a thread for anyone who might have questions or concerns about how the religous aspect comes into play. I've looked into it pretty thoroughly myself and the ground rules seem to be consistent in both dental school and college: "no alcohol, no smoking, no sex." This scares a lot of people away, but I wanted to make myself available to those who are still considering LLU and might have questions regarding Seventh-Day Adventism or the school. I just want to provide some accurate information to dispel any rumors that may have come up in the past. Any takers?

DREDAY

10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2004
Status
please enlighten me because after reading about that med school student getting kicked out for drinking at his home really worries me. sounds a bit to anal.

Jcrichards said:
I have been reading several threads with concerns about LLU's stance as a Seventh-Day Adventist, conservative Christian school. Being SDA myself, and having attended three years of undergrad at an SDA college so far, I wanted to open a thread for anyone who might have questions or concerns about how the religous aspect comes into play. I've looked into it pretty thoroughly myself and the ground rules seem to be consistent in both dental school and college: "no alcohol, no smoking, no sex." This scares a lot of people away, but I wanted to make myself available to those who are still considering LLU and might have questions regarding Seventh-Day Adventism or the school. I just want to provide some accurate information to dispel any rumors that may have come up in the past. Any takers?

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 22, 2004
Status
This is not regarding the religious aspect of the school. But I am just wonder if there are many Koreans in that school?

About the Ads

Dentalist

carpe diem
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
My dentist attended LLU for his undergrad, and he told me how he had to attend those religious meetings (or courses) every morning. I was wondering if that would be the case for the dental students as well.

DREDAY

10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2004
Status
Dentalist said:
My dentist attended LLU for his undergrad, and he told me how he had to attend those religious meetings (or courses) every morning. I was wondering if that would be the case for the dental students as well.
actually it is the case. During my interview my interviewer told me we would have to attend bible study every wednesday. And he also said there were friday night masses, but i dont think we would have to attend those.

USUaggie

bringing ugly back
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
out fighting foo
Status
Since you opened it up to questions, I'm still up writing a stupid finance paper, I'm considering LLU, and I've been posting on a lot of threads lately; for these reasons I'll ask you a question (I'm so freakin' tired, sorry if I'm not making sense) - I have no problem with the smoking/drinking/sex policies, but man, I love shrimp. I'm not planning on bringing any meat on campus because I respect the beliefs, but it's ok to have it in my fridge in the apartment, right? I sure hope so. Otherwise it would go bad :laugh:

USUaggie

bringing ugly back
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
out fighting foo
Status
Smooth Operater said:
This is not regarding the religious aspect of the school. But I am just wonder if there are many Koreans in that school?
There's a link on the school's website, sorry I'm to lazy to find it, but it gave a profile for last year's entering class and I believe a signifigant amount were Asian but it didn't break it down into Korean/Japanese/Chinese

paolorossifan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2005
Status
Dentalist said:
Hey my uncle/dentist went to the LLU undergrad/DS too! Its now good ol' La Sierra U.

I found that during my time at La Sierra that the SDA community is one of great compassion. They are great poeple. Never was I enticed to convert. Always was I greeted with kindness and genorsity. Going to worship or observing diet or other restrictions are your responsibility. Afterall, no one forced you to go there (They aren't bad rules to live by even if you aren't an SDA!) and the SDA Church own/operates thier schools with a specific mission. Anyone going to LLU should count themsevles gratefull to be at one the world finest institutions! Ah, what an honor it would be to study under Dr. Goodacre or, later, Dr. Shelanker (Ortho master). To walk next to the statue of the Good Samaritan.

Loma Linda-La Sierra Campus = maybe agian one day!
Prince Hall For Life baby!

Typo

10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2004
Status
I've heard great things about LLU from several dentists. I would have applied there, but I've got a C- in O-Chem 2 and would have to retake it just for LLU, even though I scored a 22 in that section on the DAT (which seems a little silly to me, but oh well). I do think it would be interesting to experience a different religious environment after Utah, though.

jonnytight

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i hope JCRichards answers these questions quickly...i gotta send in my deposit!! lol

EyeAmCommi

Los Angeles Smog
10+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Status
USUaggie said:
Typo, would you go there over UMaryland?
I'm just curious. Why choose between the two, Maryland and LLU? They're so far from each other.

About the Ads

EyeAmCommi

Los Angeles Smog
10+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Status
USUaggie said:
There's a link on the school's website, sorry I'm to lazy to find it, but it gave a profile for last year's entering class and I believe a signifigant amount were Asian but it didn't break it down into Korean/Japanese/Chinese
Yea. 43 out of the 92 students who got accepted are Asian. And seeing as how LLU is located in Socal, I'm sure a good number of them have to be Korean. That's just a guestimate though.

Sorry for double tapping.

USUaggie

bringing ugly back
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
out fighting foo
Status
Yeah, I know it's a wierd dilemma to be in. Where Utah has no schools and the closest is in UNLV, I applied all over the country (8 schools) and was most impressed by the school at Maryland but I have to admit there's something about SoCal that's drawing me there. I'm basically deciding between my optimal school environment and the environment during the rest of the day, so which is more important?

ecrdoubles15

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
Status
DREDAY said:
actually it is the case. During my interview my interviewer told me we would have to attend bible study every wednesday. And he also said there were friday night masses, but i dont think we would have to attend those.
actually the only thing you have to attend is on wednesdays for 50 minutes. it a just a moment of silence where you can do anything. for example, the students there told me that alot of people just finish their homework then so its not a big deal. we are not going to be holding hands and stuff like that. it is basically free time.

ecrdoubles15

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
Status
USUaggie said:
if you look at most detal school stats, there are a signifant amount of asians everywhere. especially UCSF, etc.

ecrdoubles15

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
Status
premedman said:
if i were not of the sda faith, would it affect my chances of getting accepted
no it wont because i specifically told the dean that i was not SDA or religious and i got in. they are mainly looking for family and community oriented values.

The Godfather

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2004
Status
Dentist
For the ignorant (myself included), what exactly does "no sex" mean in LLU's policy? No drinking, smoking, or sex for four years and dental school stress to boot!? I'd think I had just entered not a Seventh Day Adventist school, but the seventh level of Dante's Inferno.
Seriously, though, for USUAggie, my Biochemistry teacher (head of the Chem. dept.) taught at their medical school and he is one of the best teacher's I've ever had. He does lecture us a lot about how we (and the world) are destroying our bodies, (maybe that's just him, and not because he's a SDA) but he is sincere and is one of the fairest professors I've met. If the faculty at the dental school is anything like him, you'd be in good hands. I say if you can abide by their rules, more power to you. On the other hand, Maryland is a great school too (one of my top choices too), but will give you a completely different experience. Baltimore is an awesome city, and if you've never lived in a "real" city, it could be a great adventure for four years (and they are big on seafood!). Finally, I'll add that you may think that going to a religious affiliated school doesn't matter, but it does. I went to a religious lower, middle, and high school, and then went to a religious university. It wasn't nearly as restricitive as say a SDA, Baptist, or Mormon school (we Episcopalians like our wine), but religion was definitely present. In some ways I think it set a nice moral tone for the experience, regardless of your religious affiliation. I never knew anybody to cheat the entire four years I was there. How many people can say that about college?
:thumbup:

Typo

10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2004
Status
USUaggie said:
Typo, would you go there over UMaryland?
It's hard to say since I haven't actually been out there. I think I would choose Maryland in the end, mainly because I'm ready to move on from Utah and don't want to jump straight into another environment dominated by one religion - whether it's Mormonism, Seventh-day Adventism, Islam, or whatever. But that's just me. :) I'm not the type of person who's designed to spend extended periods of time in a place like Utah (especially Utah Valley).

The new building at Maryland is a huge draw for me. So is the sense of camaraderie I felt among the students. Tradition at the school runs deep. Plus, the east coast is absolutely beautiful, and Baltimore and the surrounding area is full of great culture and history.

In the end, you've been to Loma Linda and I haven't, so trust your gut.

Sprgrover

Pulped out Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Status
The Godfather said:
For the ignorant (myself included), what exactly does "no sex" mean in LLU's policy? No drinking, smoking, or sex for four years and dental school stress to boot!?... He does lecture us a lot about how we (and the world) are destroying our bodies, (maybe that's just him, and not because he's a SDA)...
I was raised as a Seventh-Day Adventist and feel I too can help fill in some answers to questions about LLU and the religion. Their 'no sex' policy, i.e. fornication (sex outside of marriage), is a strong belief/conviction within Adventism - that's not to say it doesn't happen, but rather it is frowned upon to say the least. Adventism also emphasizes and promotes a healthly lifestyle, which is why almost all Adventists are vegetarian and refrain from alcohol and tobacco use (and probably why your professor infused health messages into his lectures). Non-Adventists are routinely admitted to LLU and other Adventist colleges and universities - they simply ask that all of those that are in attendance observe and respect the policies of the Adventist community that they are now in. For those of you pondering a move to LLU and are not Adventist expect to participate in some religious activities, such as Friday night Vespers (which is an informal worship gathering), but you should not expect to be the target of religious conversion/persecution but rather the recipient of respect and professionalism. Sure you'll encounter quirky rules and regulations, but if you are the kind of person able to abide by respect the customs of other communities, whether it be religious or other countries, then you'll be fine.

USUaggie

bringing ugly back
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
out fighting foo
Status
This should relieve a lot of us: I just got off the phone with Dr. Hooker from LLU and asked him some of the questions we've had on this thread. He told me that he expected about 50% of LLU students have beer in their fridges at home, but nobody asks about it and they don't expect you to say anything if you consume alcohol or tobacco. (He's the one in charge of troublemakers so he knows how it works). It's like this- you can have all the beer, smokes, and pre-marital sex you want in your apartment or wherever, just don't drink beer, smoke cigarettes, or have sex on campus and you'll be fine. As for me, I'll be cooking up burgers on my balcony (if I have one) in the evenings!

About the Ads

EyeAmCommi

Los Angeles Smog
10+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Status
USUaggie said:
This should relieve a lot of us: I just got off the phone with Dr. Hooker from LLU and asked him some of the questions we've had on this thread. He told me that he expected about 50% of LLU students have beer in their fridges at home, but nobody asks about it and they don't expect you to say anything if you consume alcohol or tobacco. (He's the one in charge of troublemakers so he knows how it works). It's like this- you can have all the beer, smokes, and pre-marital sex you want in your apartment or wherever, just don't drink beer, smoke cigarettes, or have sex on campus and you'll be fine. As for me, I'll be cooking up burgers on my balcony (if I have one) in the evenings!
Haha! Great idea, go straight to the source. Where would be the best place to have sex on campus? Library stacks? Quad?

toofache32

15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2003
Status
Resident [Any Field]
EyeAmCommi said:
Haha! Great idea, go straight to the source. Where would be the best place to have sex on campus? Library stacks? Quad?
...dental chair...

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 22, 2004
Status
for those of you who applied Loma Linda, do you actually need a pastor as a LOR? They claim they welcome any students to apply as long they abide to their rules, but do Christians actually have advantage over other non-belivers when applying? Thanks!!

Awara No. 1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Status
Questions for you guys who have already been admitted to LLU. I would love to go to school in SoCal becasue I eventually want to live there. How do you guys get a letter from a Pastor if you are not a christian and don't go to church. I abide by all the rules they have now anyway without being a Seventh Day Adventist. I am also Vegetarian and really interested in LLU. I am out of state(from MI) as an applicant and I am Asian as well. So what else do I need to apply to LLU beside the other Dental School requirements. Thanks

USUaggie

bringing ugly back
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
out fighting foo
Status
They were the most difficult secondary app. for me because I had to get an additional 3 letters other than the commitee letter - one from a science prof., one from an ecclesiastical leader, and I think one from a boss but I can't remember. I'm not sure what to do if you're not tight with your current ecclesiastical leader - - maybe get someone who fills that role in your life if you can think of one. Better ask the adcom on that one.

EyeAmCommi

Los Angeles Smog
10+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Status

DREDAY

10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2004
Status
Awara No. 1 said:
Questions for you guys who have already been admitted to LLU. I would love to go to school in SoCal becasue I eventually want to live there. How do you guys get a letter from a Pastor if you are not a christian and don't go to church. I abide by all the rules they have now anyway without being a Seventh Day Adventist. I am also Vegetarian and really interested in LLU. I am out of state(from MI) as an applicant and I am Asian as well. So what else do I need to apply to LLU beside the other Dental School requirements. Thanks
I got accepted and I had a friend who is a memebr of a religious group at my school write me a letter of rec.

jonnytight

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Being jewish and involved with my campus's Hillel...I got a letter of rec from an officer of Hillel that was also a current student (UCLA).....He wrote about how I was involved in the programs and activities that Hillel has to offer, my relious practices....also my involvment with my synagogue and my involvement with my juniro college's Hillel organization.

BTW, I got in also.

Awara No. 1 said:

RiversideS13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2005
Status
I live around loma linda and I knew a lot LLU dental school students. First of all, LLU is very strict on their policy, they also has dress code. Men cannot wear ear ring and you cannot have tatto. No funky hair allowed too. I heared many people got warning about the way they dress. There is a certain way that man and women has to dress (strictly no t-shirt and jeans). Also strictly no smoking or party. Two of my friends got call up to the 5th floor office and got grilled about "someone witnessed" they smoke.

Dr. Hooker is a psychologist, i heared most of time his talk doesnt present what he thinks. he is the person that is responsible to throw out students and he already throw out many many of them. Please notice that you have to sign a contract of clean life style before the school begin. once they caught you doing somthing they think it is bad, they will use that contract to against you.

about food issue, not many people care. LLU has no power to rule you what you can eat, however, you just cannot find a meat product and coffee at school.

Although it is a Southern Cali, but it is in far inland. about 110 miles away from beach, 70 miles away from UCLA and USC. summer avergae temperature is range from 90 to 110 C. There are many farms and deserts...good place for off road racing and fresh fruits....

Religion class (yes has test and homeworks) and charpel attendance is required. The whole campus close at Friday evening and Saturday for sabbath. Therotically you cannot do ANYTHING beside praise God at friday night and saturday day times.

Cheating policy is strict, every class room had camera set up in every corner. While you taking test, your instructors and TA is watching you from the camera and recording.

It is a nice school but you just have to obey their regulation.....it make your life hella boring but clean and healthy. However, many people just cannot take a life style like that. I hope those infor helps.

RiversideS13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2005
Status
btw, begging from this year, all the freshman are require to buy one of the top of line dell laptop. I think it cost nearly $3000 (please call LLU to confirm the price) along with $3000 instrument fee. So please prepare $6000 tools fee addtional to your freshmen tuition.

if you plan to go LLU, do NOT buy any laptop before school start. you may use your own laptop, but you would need to bring it to school to let them verify first.

About the Ads

airvent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2004
Status
RiversideS13 said:
btw, begging from this year, all the freshman are require to buy one of the top of line dell laptop. I think it cost nearly $3000 (please call LLU to confirm the price) along with $3000 instrument fee. So please prepare $6000 tools fee addtional to your freshmen tuition.

if you plan to go LLU, do NOT buy any laptop before school start. you may use your own laptop, but you would need to bring it to school to let them verify first.
Maybe they want to install some secret spyware so they can keep track of what your are reading. and the websites you goto. They probably put parental controls on the computers they sell you so you can't use it for anything else but visiting religious websites.

I suppose they have the right to state the terms and conditions for attending their school, but they are way too controlling and limiting for me. Not because I want to smoke or drink, but because I prefer not to have some authority telling me how to live.

But with that said the SDA folks I've met are some of the nicest people i've know. The hygienist at my work is one, and I love her.

simpsonj24

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2004
Status
I am a practicing SDA and feel that I must reply to some of the information or misinformation on this thread. Yes, LLU and LSU (La Sierra) are adventist run and the religious beliefs are promoted but nobody is going to kick you out of school if you drink or smoke. There are policies against that on campus but that is true of many educational instituions. Also, the reality is that although many sda's profess to follow certain lifestyle choices and religious convictions many people wouldn't be able to discern a noticeable difference between sda's and other christians. I would love to go there, it is an awesome environment but I chose San Antonio because it is simply so much cheaper. Hope this helps.

USUaggie

bringing ugly back
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
out fighting foo
Status
As far as people getting grilled for someone witnessed they smoke, I think it probably happened in a dorm room on campus (don't live on campus if you want to break the rules on your own time) or somewhere very near the school. I plan on living in Redlands or somewhere like that where, most likely, nobody would care about what I'm doing. You know, I might want my hair to look nice while I'm in class but funky when I go out at night.

ecrdoubles15

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
Status
Awara No. 1 said:
you actually do not need a LOR from pastor. I do not go to church so ofcourse i coul not get one so I just called and asked if anyone else can write it and they said that it is basically just a character LOR so you can have any one of your friends write one. I did that and I got accepted. so dont sweat it if you dont have a pastor.

RiversideS13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2005
Status
nope both of my friends live in apartments in Redland so it is not like really someone witness them. I am attending La Sierra right now and i had a warning on my record for caught smoking. Guess how i got caught....I walk by one of the "student life" staff and she stoped me and smelled me. She claimed she smelled strong cigerrate smell and took me name down. In SDA school, some of the staffs are cool but some are just way too hardcore.

another person i knew in LLU also just got called up to the 5th floor got questioned about he heared she party alot, which is not ture.

About the computer inspection, i think they just want to check system capacity.

Once again it is a nice school with life style. you either love it and hate it. I seen many dental/med students didnt konw much about LLU and SDA belive but they just attend the school anyway. It end up they hate it and talk crap about the school everyday.

I would suggest you go to visit the school if you have time. and just talk to any random dental school students to learn more about the school. It is $100000 investment and 4 years, so make your decision wisely. (actually i mean visit all the schools that you might attending).

once again i am not saying LLU is a bad school, actually it is a very decent school with strong clinical skills. but it just not everyone can adopt to the lifestyle or believe well.... :)

USUaggie

bringing ugly back
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
out fighting foo
Status
good input, thanks riverside - I'm actually on my way to SoCal in a few minutes to go watch the Aggies in the big west tourny and I think I'll stop by and pay my deposite in person tomorrow. I don't smoke or anything, I'm just hoping I can keep eating my juicy red steaks! Being from a small town, I think that area would suit me a lot better than B'more. My stress release is the mountains and beach, not the bars.

OP
Jcrichards

Jcrichards

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2004
Status
USUaggie said:
good input, thanks riverside - I'm actually on my way to SoCal in a few minutes to go watch the Aggies in the big west tourny and I think I'll stop by and pay my deposite in person tomorrow. I don't smoke or anything, I'm just hoping I can keep eating my juicy red steaks! Being from a small town, I think that area would suit me a lot better than B'more. My stress release is the mountains and beach, not the bars.
Well said, USUaggie, I'm the same way. I just don't think I'd enjoy the big city as much as a lot of people do.

Just a couple concerns to address:

Meat-eaters rejoice! Your big red steaks are perfectly acceptable in an Adventist school...just don't expect to be able to buy any on campus. In fact, my school has caffeine now for the first year ever (Pacific Union College in the Napa Valley, also SDA).

Wednesday worship is required but you don't have to be active. Do your homework, whisper to your friends, or sit and stare into space. To tell you the truth, I doubt anything would happen to you if you didn't come to all of them. Vespers on Friday night and Church on Saturday are not required. On the same religious note, a letter of recommendation from a pastor is not required, as long as you have a character-assessing letter from another source. Also, be aware that your ethics classes (and an Adventist Heritage class, or something like it) will have an SDA slant to them.

The only bad thing about not being an SDA and applying to LLU is that the school explicitly states that it gives preference to SDA students. Still, only 30% of the students are Adventist, so if you're already accepted it shouldn't be a concern.

Once again, it all comes down to what life you want to live for the next four years: do you like liberal, big city life or conservative Christian, small-town suburbia? Good luck to all of you in your decisions.

DREDAY

10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2004
Status
So I went and visited Loma Linda today and spoke to faculty and students.... got some pretty good info... I'll post about it later. I dont have much time right now.

USUaggie

bringing ugly back
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
out fighting foo
Status
Once again, I feel like a loser. Posting on SDN on spring break in the hotel lobby in socal. Anyway, I put down my deposit and asked the admissions receptionist about the % of adventists and she said they don't disclose that info, so where are you all getting the info? I'm going back to the room to watch sportscenter

The Godfather

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2004
Status
Dentist
If you haven't already, check out the post interview experiences for the two schools for some more info. It's a little disconcerting to see all the negatives for LLU, although it seems that they were posted by people who didn't really get what LLU was about before they applied. Hey, what happened to your avatar? :thumbup:

ecrdoubles15

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
Status
DREDAY said:
So I went and visited Loma Linda today and spoke to faculty and students.... got some pretty good info... I'll post about it later. I dont have much time right now.
hey dreday what info did you get?

RiversideS13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2005
Status
I got my information from LLU predental workshop and too bad i dont have scanner so i couldnt scan it. More then half of people in the admission office doesnt know much because they are new....this is their first year. it was because some political issues in the office, so half of them quited. Anyway, since you pay deposit already so dont worry about it. just think postively. I think i should shut up now for leaking too much information that might cause me in trouble.

DIRTIE

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
Las Vegas
Status
Dental Student
USUaggie said:
Once again, I feel like a loser. Posting on SDN on spring break in the hotel lobby in socal. Anyway, I put down my deposit and asked the admissions receptionist about the % of adventists and she said they don't disclose that info, so where are you all getting the info? I'm going back to the room to watch sportscenter
Benji you are a loser! You should have just chosen UNLV with me. You could have hitched a ride during the breaks back to BC with me.
Go AGGIES!!!!! WSU already lost :(

simpsonj24

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2004
Status
Last years class was 86% SDA, that is straight from Dr. Kasiche. Just thought you might want to know.

edkNARF

A is A
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2003
Philadelphia
Status
Dental Student
I think it is disrespectful to the point of being rude to ignore SDA beliefs if you are attending an SDA school. If you do not think you can uphold yourself to their codes of conduct, don't go there.

About the Ads