LLU and Seventh-Day Adventism

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
edkNARF said:
I think it is disrespectful to the point of being rude to ignore SDA beliefs if you are attending an SDA school. If you do not think you can uphold yourself to their codes of conduct, don't go there.

That's what i mean!! I seen many of those kind students in LLU and they are very ignorant and dont get along with hardcore SDA students and regulations! Once again i dont know about this year but last year there are 85 SDA students out 95 students! I believe all faculities are SDA as well

Members don't see this ad.

simpsonj24 said:
Last years class was 86% SDA, that is straight from Dr. Kasiche. Just thought you might want to know.

This seems to be a more realistic stat. I have friends at LLUSD and they say that more than 3/4 of their class is SDA. This seems the same for the medical school. Also, they said that those students who aren't SDA were exceptional candidates. I am curious were the statistic came from that 30% of dental students were SDA because it is not uncommon to hear around campus and the medical center that the LLUSD and LLUSM gives preference to SDAs.

Jcrichards said:
The only bad thing about not being an SDA and applying to LLU is that the school explicitly states that it gives preference to SDA students. Still, only 30% of the students are Adventist, so if you're already accepted it shouldn't be a concern.

Adventists have the second largest private education system in the world behind the Catholics and it is the primary Adventist medical univeristy in which 16 North American and 83 international Adventist colleges and universities funnel students through for a variety of medical careers. In light of that tidbit alone it's obvious the 30% statistic is way off.

Members don't see this ad :)
DIRTIE said:
Benji you are a loser! You should have just chosen UNLV with me. You could have hitched a ride during the breaks back to BC with me.
Go AGGIES!!!!! WSU already lost :(

Jesse? Is that you? I just read through all your posts and it makes sense: WSU, UNLV, Nova waiting list, you know I'm from BC, it's gotta be you! I'll pick you up on my way home from So Cal, it'll be great. :thumbup: You think UNLV would still take me if I declined them back in December? I've been so confused lately I'm tempted to go anywhere at this point.

Oh, I switched my avatar from Maryland's to LLU's symbol.

USUaggie said:
Jesse? Is that you? I just read through all your posts and it makes sense: WSU, UNLV, Nova waiting list, you know I'm from BC, it's gotta be you! I'll pick you up on my way home from So Cal, it'll be great. :thumbup: You think UNLV would still take me if I declined them back in December? I've been so confused lately I'm tempted to go anywhere at this point.

Oh, I switched my avatar from Maryland's to LLU's symbol.

did you decide on loma linda?

$1000 says I did :laugh: Yeah, it seems like a great area, school, everything. All of the negatives that people mentioned weren't really things that would discourage me and I'm a lot more excited to move there than I was to move back east. I just got back from the big west tournament in Anaheim and I'm wishing I was still there. I honestly hate the cold weather. I'm thinking of getting a Toyota Tacoma or something and when school gets out early Friday afternoon I can head up in the mountains or put a surfboard in the back and head to the beach. You should come, it'll be great. :thumbup:

hey, just wondering, are you guys from British Columbia? Or BC is somewhere else in US?

BC= Brigham City, Utah. Population <20,000. Known for it's fruit production and the world's largest game bird refuge is about 15 miles west of it. It was once in a levi's jeans commercial and then a budweiser commercial in the same summer about 15 years ago. We once had a football player play receiver for the Dallas Cowboys about 20 years ago. Also, the train station scene in the movie "species" was filmed there.

USUaggie said:
BC= Brigham City, Utah. Population <20,000. Known for it's fruit production and the world's largest game bird refuge is about 15 miles west of it. It was once in a levi's jeans commercial and then a budweiser commercial in the same summer about 15 years ago. We once had a football player play receiver for the Dallas Cowboys about 20 years ago. Also, the train station scene in the movie "species" was filmed there.

Don't forget that we now have a movie named after our little village.
I can talk to Brownstein and see if he will take you back after you snubbed him.
You know that you would rather live in Vegas! If LL is where you are going then that will work out great to just swing by and pick me up.
Are you going to Boise for the big dance! I wish I was.

By the way your little symbol is not as cool as the turtle that you were sporting before

30% Adventist did seem a little bit low to me too, but I was citing the info given earlier in this thread since when I called the admissions office they denied me the stats.

I DID, however, do a little research of my own. LLUSD has an adobe file on their website that discloses the profile of last year's class (class of 2008). By my count, 66 of the 95 accepted students, roughly 70%, graduated from SDA colleges. I also spoke with an alumnus who said that around 80% of applicants from SDA colleges get accepted...but I don't know how accurate this is. The point is that SDA's do get priority and there are a lot of them there. However, it sounds like the members following this thread have already been accepted so acceptance rates hold no bearing. I would highly recommend talking to some current students and/or alumni.

DIRTIE said:
...Are you going to Boise for the big dance! I wish I was.

I kind of wanted to but the 550 USU tickets sold out in an hour for $50 a pop while I was driving back from Cali. Some of the students here are getting creative and calling the schools in the south and asking for their tickets. USU fans are the most loyal I've ever seen. If anyone wants to see an exciting game watch USU play Arizona on thursday - 2 years ago they lost to #2 Kansas by 2 points on a last second shot. Man, this is way off topic - sorry for hijacking the thread :oops: