LLU vs MWU-AZ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstudent31

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about these two schools? Which would you pick and why?

Members don't see this ad.

These two schools are great schools! :) I think you should write a list of pros and cons of each school, discuss them with yourself, family, or parents... then make a decision. You might be swayed or influenced by biased opinion on SDN. Be careful. :) Good luck!

Last edited:
What do you guys think about these two schools? Which would you pick and why?

I was so impressed with MWU-AZ. Their Dean has an awesome vision on where the dental profession is headed and how to produce excellent clinicians. Brand new equipment and facilities, experienced clinical instructors, and awesome environment make this school stand out. Plus, how many deans have you met who know every single student by name? I was really impressed by the school. Also, luxury apartment: ~ $650/month

Members don't see this ad :)
I was so impressed with MWU-AZ. Their Dean has an awesome vision on where the dental profession is headed and how to produce excellent clinicians. Brand new equipment and facilities, experienced clinical instructors, and awesome environment make this school stand out. Plus, how many deans have you met who know every single student by name? I was really impressed by the school. Also, luxury apartment: ~ $650/month

Both are wonderful, top-notch dental schools...so many congrats to you. I will speak for LLU, because obviously I don't know much about MWU-AZ. If the following this intrigue you, you would love it here, most likely.

pros of LLU
-tons of missionary trip (paid) opportunities-every qtr
-good balance of stress with a nice chapel every week, most complain but I enjoy it
-a very friendly atmosphere, people here are so nice it's almost annoying lol
-excellent clinical exposure, consistently rank ~top 1-3 in the nation
-mountains or palm trees...here you get both
-small town/world-renowned hospital setting
-cheap living-compared to the rest of CA

some of the cons about LLU
-we have a lot of VERY competitive people in our class, but they're still semi-helpful
-I'm a southern boy, so it's too busy here for my liking
-a few of the professors enjoy being "tricky" on exams, which is very frustrating but I figure you'd find that anywhere
-LLU is SDA to the fullest-no meat whatsoever to be found on campus-but you can eat it if you like, the caf just doesn't serve meat
-if you hate religion/church/chapel-you may get annoyed by having to go to chapel-we do it for one full week in the qtr ("week of devotion") for one hour per day, and every Wed.

So that's about it, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM...I'll try my best to help you.

Great thread. This has been on my mind because I've been accepted to MWU-AZ, but I have an interview at LLUSD in january and I can't decide if I should go. It's tough because LLU is established and is well rounded, but it is surprisingly dang expensive and in SoCal. I appreciate the advice given, but any more thoughts would be nice.

Great thread. This has been on my mind because I've been accepted to MWU-AZ, but I have an interview at LLUSD in january and I can't decide if I should go. It's tough because LLU is established and is well rounded, but it is surprisingly dang expensive and in SoCal. I appreciate the advice given, but any more thoughts would be nice.

True, trust me I complain all the time about how high our tuition is when it's completely unnecessary for us to have extravagant anatomy lab and huge globes hanging in the entrance of our building that move in circular motion, probably cost a good 100k+. And then in other places, like our classroom, it looks like a lecture hall that was built in the early 20's, seats are unbearably uncomfortable, etc...They say that building was donated (the super nice one), but I find it quite funny that our tuition just spiked this year (after we started school). In our Gross lab, we have at least 15 42"+ plasma tv's and then they make us bring our own gloves, I swear I am not joking at all. In a building that easily cost 40 million (what I heard), you make student buy their own gloves?

MWU is very expensive too, and I'm sure there are lots of complaints about things there too. What makes me mad about LLU is we make more than all of the other healthcare schools COMBINED and yet we have the highest tuition. We are in the beginning stages of filing a complaint to the school president about it, not sure if it will do any good. They have you by the throat because they honestly don't care if you come to school there or not, millions are in line wanting your spot.

I did not apply to LLU because where I come from religion was used as a cover for all sorts of abuses. I don't see why a dental school should be a religious institution. In my opinion, there should be something really wrong going on there.

I did not apply to LLU because where I come from religion was used as a cover for all sorts of abuses. I don't see why a dental school should be a religious institution. In my opinion, there should be something really wrong going on there.
your logic is flawed.

IMO, LLU will make you a better dentist. why? because they make you do your own lab work, unlike mwu. some may argue that real world dentists don't do their own lab work, but the truth is that sometimes you will, and when the lab gets it wrong, you need to know what they did wrong. it just helps you understand the process much better.

your logic is flawed.

IMO, LLU will make you a better dentist. why? because they make you do your own lab work, unlike mwu. some may argue that real world dentists don't do their own lab work, but the truth is that sometimes you will, and when the lab gets it wrong, you need to know what they did wrong. it just helps you understand the process much better.

Whether or not MWU "makes" you do your own lab work, I don't know for sure, but I do know they allow you to do your own lab work. They did place emphasis on being familiar with lab work well enough to determine whether or not your lab is doing a shotty job or not. I don't imagine it would take doing your own lab work all throughout dental school to know whether the lab is doing good work or not. To become proficient at the work, perhaps. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Are LLU students favored over others when it comes to acceptance into the many specialty programs LLU has?

If you're looking for a great clinical experience - LLU :thumbup:

If you're looking for a great clinical experience - LLU :thumbup:

Same as MWU. You will be done with part I of the boards after the first year and get plenty of clinical experiences after that. When I interviewed there, their first year students were making Class I preps during their first quarter.

LLU is much more well known and established than MWU
Both solid clinically and have huge patient pools
LLU is a religious institution, MWU is not
Tuition is fairly similar, however Phx cost of living is way cheaper than Riverside
Weather is about the same, slightly cooler in Riverside
MWU has brand new clinic and sim clinic... can't speak for LLU
Both have most of the health professions on same campus
Boards after first year at MWU, after second at LLU
Modular curriculum at MWU, not sure about LLU

Plus....MWU has dental prom... i guess all the students love it and it's kinda a big deal

Best of luck in your decision!!!

Go look at the amount of clinical requirements LLUSD has compared to any other schools.

Clinical requirements for graduation and actual amount of clinical procedures done are often 2 different things. The requirement for admission to dental school is often a 2.75 GPA, but the vast majority of martriculants are way above that requirement.

I doubt if there is any publishable data to prove "clinical rankings" as every graduating dental student, from every school would have to track every single procedure, then report it to a universal agency.

Clinical exposure is so subjective as well... i mean how would you compare a school that does more extractions and less endo vs a school with more endo and less extractions?

I mean don't most schools claim to be "clinically strong"? How can you say LLU is top 3 when you have schools that are probably equally as strong out there... a few that come to mind are: Creighton, ASDOH, UOP, Louisville, Temple, NYU, Detroit Mercy, UW, the list goes on for days....

Clinical requirements for graduation and actual amount of clinical procedures done are often 2 different things. The requirement for admission to dental school is often a 2.75 GPA, but the vast majority of martriculants are way above that requirement.

I doubt if there is any publishable data to prove "clinical rankings" as every graduating dental student, from every school would have to track every single procedure, then report it to a universal agency.

Clinical exposure is so subjective as well... i mean how would you compare a school that does more extractions and less endo vs a school with more endo and less extractions?

I mean don't most schools claim to be "clinically strong"? How can you say LLU is top 3 when you have schools that are probably equally as strong out there... a few that come to mind are: Creighton, ASDOH, UOP, Louisville, Temple, NYU, Detroit Mercy, UW, the list goes on for days....

Ok guys, I'm not trying to argue with you all...I'm just telling you what was told to me by many dentists, most of which didn't go to LLU. Someone at our orientation said they annually rank top 1-3 in clinic, but I can't for the life of me remember who it was. I know it was a professor/dentist but I will think of it and ask him where he got his info.I agree with you U-hombre...everything is very subjective, let me see what I can do to get some data (from a credible source).