LMU-DCOM (DeBusk COM) Discussion thread Part 2 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorMom78

Sky Glory
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone had sent me a PM before asking me about what I knew about the faculty at DCOM. I didn't have that much info at the time. I thought there was some posted on their site, but couldn't find it then. I just came across it again, so here it is. :D :luck:

http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/about/council.htm

Members don't see this ad.

If you also go to ratemyprofessors.com, you can look up reviews given from students at Western COMP, about Dr. Leo, Kiick and Lenz. Dr. Leo and Kiick are extremely well respected. Many of the students said that they were some of the best professors they have ever had, bar none......:thumbup:
Dr. Kiick also writes for KAPLAN board exams and has done so for many years, and still does. He will be a huge asset to the students in preparing for the boards. Yeah, although DCOM is a new school and many have been sketchy about it, it does have some pretty great faculty members.

If you also go to ratemyprofessors.com, you can look up reviews given from students at Western COMP, about Dr. Leo, Kiick and Lenz. Dr. Leo and Kiick are extremely well respected. Many of the students said that they were some of the best professors they have ever had, bar none......:thumbup:
Dr. Kiick also writes for KAPLAN board exams and has done so for many years, and still does. He will be a huge asset to the students in preparing for the boards. Yeah, although DCOM is a new school and many have been sketchy about it, it does have some pretty great faculty members.

Thanks! I didn't know about that site.:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I know. I did find one place in Manyunk right by PCOM that had a huge yard. The owner ran a dog boarding/day care business downstairs so it was the perfect place. If I end up staying here I'll probably move in there. Just so you know though, I am definitely putting down a deposit at DCOM cause I won't hear back from PCOM till late feb/early march. Even if I do get in here, I don't know what I'll do. It might come down to a coin flip for me :D

Just make heads=DCOM, then use a double-headed coin :idea:

Wow, I take a day off and rebuild my computer and look what I miss!
You guys have some adorable pets. I have always had Labs and Setters and Greyhounds.

Here is Lyrin. Her mom was a rescue who went to live in VA.
Inerestingly enough, I have had her four years now but I picked her up off of Hwy 63 not far from DCOM. Of course that was four years ago and I had no idea the part in my life that DCOM would play.

Lyrin is a nut. And like most Greyhounds she is either 'on' or 'off', full tilt or snoozin'. :laugh:

..........I guessI need to host these pics. Gimme a bit to do that.

When it comes to food...yes :laugh: :p I had some classmates over about a week ago and introduced them to Chicago food and they all loved it. We had Italian beef sandwiches and baked mosticcholi. Next, I am going to order some deep dish pizza and make their taste buds really go crazy. But seriously, a Chilis in Harrogate would be a great thing...that is all I want :oops:. Even a Buffalo Wild Wings. I know I can go into K-ville for these, but something within 5 minutes would be nice. Oh well...I still love DCOM, and it makes going home just that much sweeter. ;)
Hahahaha, a Chilis... We could all go down to the neighborhood bar and grill, just like in Talladega Nights. :) Come to think of it, that would be pretty fun...

I didn't want to miss out on the dog action.

This is baby and daisy:
fileServer

This is Lola. We adopted her about a year and a half ago:
fileServer

I wish I could post my babies, no digital version :( I'll see what I can do

I would just like to let you all know, that I have NO motivation. At all. Like, none. This is bad...

I would just like to let you all know, that I have NO motivation. At all. Like, none. This is bad...

I know, me too.

You wanna hear how bad PCOM is to us. We have a histo exam this thursday, then we start break on friday, and get back on the 7th. We have an anatomy exam and practical on the 8th. So, basically I get no break.

Congrats to the newest acceptance, Syncope82!! :banana:

Thanks! I look forward to meeting with you all in the upcoming future

I'm from Chicago and the transition isn't bad. You will miss the food though. I plan on eating at many places over the next 2 weeks :corny:

Yea, I don't think the transition will be that bad either. I am actually pretty much sick of the city after living in it the last 7 years or so. I miss the quiet days of my adolescence in the far western suburbs. I know Harrogate will be much different, but I am looking forward to the change. Those 'cave parties' that they were talking about during the interviews sound interesting

Those pets are quite adorable.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is this motivation you speak of? Is that anything like a job??

Uh, ditto...having today off might have been the worst thing that could have happened for me and Test 5. :) But, I'll take it...

I will chime in on the 'no motivation'. I cannot believe how many other things can find to do instead of studying! It was a pleasure sleeping in but geez I want this semester over!

You said it! I've baked a cake, paid bills, packed my truck up to leave tomorrow, washed clothes, sent Christmas cards, and sent the Grinch after some people on Facebook... but I haven't even looked over my review notes for the test tomorrow. I about to get on it.. maybe. :rolleyes:

You said it! I've baked a cake, paid bills, packed my truck up to leave tomorrow, washed clothes, sent Christmas cards, and sent the Grinch after some people on Facebook... but I haven't even looked over my review notes for the test tomorrow. I about to get on it.. maybe. :rolleyes:
Hows the cake? :)

Ha...I made 2 pumpkin pies for the dinner tomorrow....and now I wanna make one for us cause it smells so good.

I'm all Histo'd out mates...

Are there any plans to have a DO/MBA degree offered at LMU?

I noticed that MBA was offered from their grad school.

Its a pineapple-upside down cake for the SOMA/DCOM staff dinner tomorrow night.. but I don't get to eat any cuz I'm leaving before its starts! Martha is taking it for me... It smells awfully delicious, though.

PS.. I still haven't studied. :eek:

I think DCOM is offering the DO/MBA thing... but I don't know any of the details.

I dont think there are any right now. But I'm not up there every day either.

The Piratesse said:
I think DCOM is offering the DO/MBA thing... but I don't know any of the details.

Well there you go. Shows you what I know....

Pineapple upside down cake?!?! Yummy... Im soooo hungry right now, and that is making my mouth water. Ever had a drink called a pineapple upside down cake? Just as good, but not quite as filling... You should probably go study now. What tests do you have tomorrow? Just the big one? So it was just the anatomy practical on Monday?

Our test tomorrow covers the lower limb and histology. It will only be about 50-60 questions total, so it won't be too bad. We did have our anatomy practical on Monday. It covered the same topics.

Did you guys get an e-mail when your file was complete? I sent my secondary a couple of weeks ago but haven't heard anything.

thanks!

Murphdog got a haircut!!!!! Looks like a pooooooodle. Poor thing.

DSCN1852.jpg

So I think I'm interested in that program. I guess I'll contact someone down there and get a clarification.

Its a pineapple-upside down cake for the SOMA/DCOM staff dinner tomorrow night.. but I don't get to eat any cuz I'm leaving before its starts! Martha is taking it for me... It smells awfully delicious, though.

PS.. I still haven't studied. :eek:

PS - I STILL haven't studied. I think this is a new record for me. Woohoo!!

Also - My dog is freaking AWESOME. Just so everyone knows.

Did you guys get an e-mail when your file was complete? I sent my secondary a couple of weeks ago but haven't heard anything.

thanks!

pretty sure you have to call to find out. thats the only way i found out.

He looks a little girly with that pink collar on though... Especially with his haircut. He needs a pirate flag collar. Or something more.... not so feminine. :)

Still a handsome pup though ;). Go study!!!

He looks a little girly with that pink collar on though... Especially with his haircut. He needs a pirate flag collar. Or something more.... not so feminine. :)

Still a handsome pup though ;). Go study!!!

Hey, it's red with Christmas trees on it. Have some holiday spirit already! And his collar is red, not pink. And you're damn tootin' he's a good looking dog. You say otherwise and your first day of orientation will be your last... :smuggrin:

Oh, and you can't tell me what to do! I'll study when I want to study.

Red, pink, close enough... Ok, ok, its an ok collar for him. I need to get Sadie a festive collar. Maybe just one with pine trees on it. I wonder if I could get her in a santa hat and some antlers.... Hrmmm...

Yeah! At least give him some antlers or a coat to wear. Oooo, the coat is a good idea now that he has no more fur... its cold and he'll get cold :). Perfect.

Yeah! At least give him some antlers or a coat to wear. Oooo, the coat is a good idea now that he has no more fur... its cold and he'll get cold :). Perfect.

Ummmm... Martha isn't home.. and I didn't have antlers exactly.... I just made him look like a mean pirate instead.. That's a lot tougher... Like Chuck Norris tougher. Arrrgh!

DSCN1857.jpg

Larry is tougher than Chuck Norris. Especially if confronted by a basketball.

Ummmm... Martha isn't home.. and I didn't have antlers exactly.... I just made him look like a mean pirate instead.. That's a lot tougher... Like Chuck Norris tougher. Arrrgh!

DSCN1857.jpg
Hahahaha!!!! Just as good!!! You rock. Hardcore. :lol::lol:

hi! I am such a complete lurker I finally decided to get an avatar (my last marathon finish photo!) and post. I haven't taken my MCAT yet but will do so on January 26. I have a 3.86 science and a 3.6 overall GPA. I'm 49. OLDSTER!! But I am so excited about going to medical school and am preparing the way. I've been in private practice as a prosthetist for three years now. I make artificial limbs. I'm hoping this comes through for me as I have always had it in the back of my mind that I would one day complete my terminal degree and become a physician. It's what I do every day, just without the title. So I'm hoping and praying because i'd love to go to DeBusk. Anyway, congrats to EEL08. I feel that I already know you!!
I wish everyone success. I'm originally from Texas and LOVE LOVE LOVE TexasTriathlete's posts. He's just so funny and always makes me laugh :laugh::laugh:

Wish me luck on the MCAT. I've been taking the online tests at home and am scoring between 25-32 every time. I'd love to be your classmate, EEL08!!
Everyone on here seems so friendly.

OK, so the crickets are now chirping because of this long post. I just wanted to say HOWDY! Hoping we all get what we want out of this cycle of admissions. It is a nerve wracking process, isn't it??:barf::beat:

Welcome! And good luck on your application! If you have any questions, just ask away :).

This is Mason, my Lhasa Apso. He is the coolest.

Oh, and Ryan, I am not on your housing list but I have put up a deposit for student housing. I am still going apt searching in Tazewell this week though!

Anyone in Knox wanting to hang out, holler at me. I know Laura is game.

Do you think the January MCAT is too late? I was told by 7 of the 9 DO schools I've applied to that the January MCAT was just fine and that I'd still be considered for any available place. What are your thoughts on this? Surely I did this too late this year?? I've been voraciously consuming the posts on acceptances. It seems that I'm just sort of out of the loop since I've been waitlisted pending MCATs. The MCAT has always loomed over my head and even though I have 4.0's in several sciences (recent) I just couldn't bring myself to do it, and chickened out after applying to take it twice. This is hopefully my year to get in, but I think I'm pretty dumb for not having begun sooner. +pity+

Anyway, what are your thoughts about the tardiness of my application?
Just would love some feedback. I've loved reading about DeBusk also and any further insights would be great. People, interviews, campus, etc. I'm just soaking it all up like a sponge. Maybe that's what those large pores are on my face these days LOL...:laugh:

Yes, you were the one that couldn't keep your mouth shut and made all of the mean comments... :smuggrin:

You'll do great tomorrow! Good luck. :luck:

mean comments? me? oh shucks, didn't mean to do that!

haha, i like joking around a lot, if i did say anything to upset anybody then i'm truly sorry. Interview was ok, I was interviewed by Dr. Foster and Dr. Zajac. Dr. Zajac was very very....stoic.

at one point, I don't think he meant to but he called me a "doormat" and my only response was, "what?"
lol, aside from that, let's just hope the interview works out for the best.

Do you think the January MCAT is too late? I was told by 7 of the 9 DO schools I've applied to that the January MCAT was just fine and that I'd still be considered for any available place. What are your thoughts on this? Surely I did this too late this year?? I've been voraciously consuming the posts on acceptances. It seems that I'm just sort of out of the loop since I've been waitlisted pending MCATs. The MCAT has always loomed over my head and even though I have 4.0's in several sciences (recent) I just couldn't bring myself to do it, and chickened out after applying to take it twice. This is hopefully my year to get in, but I think I'm pretty dumb for not having begun sooner. +pity+

Anyway, what are your thoughts about the tardiness of my application?
Just would love some feedback. I've loved reading about DeBusk also and any further insights would be great. People, interviews, campus, etc. I'm just soaking it all up like a sponge. Maybe that's what those large pores are on my face these days LOL...:laugh:

Welcome! I wouldn't worry too much about not taking it until January. I know several people are in the exact same boat as you. Last year I didn't even decide to apply out of state (TX) until December, then got an interview in late January and still got in. Your stats sound pretty good and it sounds like you've got lots of experience. I think you'll rock it out! Has your primary already been sent out? I'm pretty sure DCOM interviews sometimes while still waiting for pending MCAT scores.

As far as the school goes, I love it here and its very non-traditional student friendly. (My original major is Animal Science and I used to work in the poultry industry:eek: So I've done a 180.) Keep us posted on what's going on!

Texas tri.. Larry does look pretty tough... You better watch out. Michael Vick might try and take him from you in Atlanta...

mean comments? me? oh shucks, didn't mean to do that!

haha, i like joking around a lot, if i did say anything to upset anybody then i'm truly sorry. Interview was ok, I was interviewed by Dr. Foster and Dr. Zajac. Dr. Zajac was very very....stoic.

at one point, I don't think he meant to but he called me a "doormat" and my only response was, "what?"
lol, aside from that, let's just hope the interview works out for the best.

Haha.. Dr. Z is my adviser and he's the coolest. He's from Philly and plays B-ball.. I think they've learned not to give away how they think you are doing while you're in there... Dr. Foster is awesome too. I wish you guys got to interview them.. they are so much fun when they are your profs and not the ones grilling you in the interview room.

Just realized it was dog night. Here are my beautiful boys. Spike is Doby's pet LOL....

Attachments

• Img_0027.JPG
    Img_0027.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 210
  • Img_0009.JPG
    Img_0009.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 222
Thanks Piratesse and Rose....
I'm thrilled to be in the process finally. It's so daunting to take that damn MCAT. It's been hanging over my head for the longest. I'm bolstered by you guys' "go for it" attitudes!!!

I have sent in my primaries and now am studying like mad for MCAT. Will send secondaries after doing test. I'm getting lots of feedback so maybe I should just go ahead and send in the $100000000000 dollars of fees to these guys and secondaries and see if any of them would interview before the MCAT.

SCARREEEEY!!

Thanks for the ideas!
Sherruns

Thanks Piratesse and Rose....
I'm thrilled to be in the process finally. It's so daunting to take that damn MCAT. It's been hanging over my head for the longest. I'm bolstered by you guys' "go for it" attitudes!!!

I have sent in my primaries and now am studying like mad for MCAT. Will send secondaries after doing test. I'm getting lots of feedback so maybe I should just go ahead and send in the $100000000000 dollars of fees to these guys and secondaries and see if any of them would interview before the MCAT.

SCARREEEEY!!

Thanks for the ideas!
Sherruns

I would at least go ahead and send in DCOM's... especially if you are really interested in it. Then just send in your scores when you get them. My strategy last year was to divide up the schools where I was sending secondaries into groups of three or so depending on where I wanted to try to get interviews first, so that if I got in to one sooner than later I wouldn't have to keep spending money on other secondaries and interviews. I sent in Touro Vegas and DCOM first. I heard back from DCOM a week and a half later, and they didn't even have all of my letters yet. I did my interview a few weeks after that and got my letters turned in.. and in just a couple of more weeks I got the acceptance call. I got an interview invite to touro almost a week after the acceptance, but turned it down because i was in love with DCOM and didn't want to spend the extra money. I spent quite a lot on all the primaries, but only 50 on secondaries. DCOM was free last year!

Sherruns: are you definitely taking the january MCAT? The only issue is that, by applying this year, you miss out on TCOM, and their ridiculous in-state tuition. But if you don't mind leaving that opportunity behind, go for it. There are plenty of good schools out-of-state. Just nothing that cheap.

I interviewed at KCOM with a guy who is 49. He just got into DMU. He goes by Archer on here.

Good luck.

Yes, TexTri I am definitely taking it in January. Crunch time has arrived. I agree with you since I'm from Dallas about TCOM. I'd love to take advantage of that since I've only been gone for three years. My undergrad is UT Southwestern Med School of Allied Health Prosthetics/Orthotics B.S. and 2 years of residency. So now i'm in private practice lurking on these boards saying "gotta go for it now!"

You guys have given me so much confidence. I just know this is the right thing to do. I'll be another Texas transplant somewhere! Have applied to 10 schools and I think I'm dropping St. George and keeping all D.O....

Piratesse, thanks for the info on the secondaries. They'll go out this week!
Thanks to you guys for the encouragement. I'm stoked!
:bow::bow: you guys seriously ROCK...Sherruns

Don't go to St. George's. That place is a meat grinder. I dropped them early in the game.

What kind of races do you do?

I have a client who is 55 years old, and she can crush me on the bike. She is amazing.