LMU-DCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The pizza night is super informal. Just wear whatever you want. There will be no one there that will have any impact on admissions. We are just there for you to ask any questions you might have about the school/student life/the area, or whatever else you might have questions about without you being nervous or feeling like you have to "ask the right questions" because admissions people are watching. Plus, it's always nicer to have something to do the night before an interview besides sitting in the hotel being anxious about the next day. For all you guys interviewing on the 20th, I'll see you at the pizza night on the 19th! Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow!:luck:

Look forward to seeing you there on the 19th. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Let's see how the interview pool is panning out this year! Quote this and add your information to it in this format:
Username - Complete Date - Interview Date - sGPA/cGPA - MCAT

JohnDoe - C: 8/13 - I: 9/17 - GPAs: 3.7/3.4 - MCAT: 29M

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's see how the interview pool is panning out this year! Quote this and add your information to it in this format:
Username - Complete Date - Interview Date - sGPA/cGPA - MCAT

DrMaximus - C: 8/23 - I: 9/20 - GPAs: 3.92/3.63 - MCAT: 24O

Can't wait to meet you guys :)

VandyAM - C: 8/31 - I: 9/28 - GPAs: 3.3/3.5 - MCAT: 25R

LMU pleassseeee give me an interview! :(
its one of my top choices!!
stats: 25O 3.2/3.4 OOS

Laiba - C: N/A - I: N/A - GPAs: 3.2/3.4 - MCAT: 25O

Enjoyed meeting everyone from the SDN site. Maybe we will all get some positive news here in a couple weeks. Good luck to everyone!

Enjoyed meeting everyone from the SDN site. Maybe we will all get some positive news here in a couple weeks. Good luck to everyone!

Don't be surprised if it's next week - DCOM doesn't wait around!

I sent in my secondary application last week. And now we wait...

To those who got interviews or rejected, how long are they taking to review secondary apps after you submit them??

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else is interviewing on Sept 27. I'm flying there on the 26 to McGhee-Tyson Airport. I asked the hotel and they told me there's probably no public transit available from the Airport to the hotel (I'm staying at Holiday Inn). I'm not comfortable with renting the car & drive..so I was wondering if I can carpool with anyone.

Thanks in advance!

Corpsman33 - C: 9/2 - I: 9/20 - GPAs: 3.2/3.3 - MCAT: 28O
(9 years healthcare, 4 years military)

LMU pleassseeee give me an interview! :(
its one of my top choices!!
stats: 25O 3.2/3.4 OOS

I'm rootin' for you. I think you will start getting some invites. How are your E.C.'s.?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else is interviewing on Sept 27. I'm flying there on the 26 to McGhee-Tyson Airport. I asked the hotel and they told me there's probably no public transit available from the Airport to the hotel (I'm staying at Holiday Inn). I'm not comfortable with renting the car & drive..so I was wondering if I can carpool with anyone.

Thanks in advance!

If no one carpools you'll definitely have to do car rental. No public transport from TYS to Harrogate that I'm aware of. It's a beautiful drive, you will love it!

It was my first time renting a car and it was fine. They gave me a jeep which was cool except Im short and couldnt see over the front end so I hated trying to park it. But you make like 3 turns near the airport and then stay straight for 60 miles. Its not bad at all.

I'm rootin' for you. I think you will start getting some invites. How are your E.C.'s.?

aww thanks! i dont have a single interview invite n ive been complete for like almost a month at most places :(
EC'are are arrite...nothing great
250 hours emergency deparment volunteering
250 non profit oganization volunteering
10 hours free clinic
30ish shadowing
deans list one semester
so nothing great...

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!

I am interviewing on the 27 but I am driving and not near the airport :(

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!

Optoped: I am interviewing on September 27th as well. I am flying there on the 26th to McGhee-Tyson Airport. I have already rented a car. You are more than welcome to tag along with me. I should get to the airport by 4:30pm. I am scheduled to pick the car up at 5pm. My email is [email protected]. Send me an email if you are interested. I will also be flying out right after the interview.

So how was the interview?

I believe my interview went very well. The interview is closed file and you interview with one PhD and one Physician. The more you know about why medicine, why DO, why Debusk and or TN and the more you know about yourself the better you will do and the comfortable you will feel during the interview.

I liked the fact that it was closed file because I feel like they asked easier questions like did you do research or what were your leadership activities which they wouldnt have asked if it was open file. A few people got some ethical questions so be forewarned.

I believe my interview went very well. The interview is closed file and you interview with one PhD and one Physician. The more you know about why medicine, why DO, why Debusk and or TN and the more you know about yourself the better you will do and the comfortable you will feel during the interview.

I liked the fact that it was closed file because I feel like they asked easier questions like did you do research or what were your leadership activities which they wouldnt have asked if it was open file. A few people got some ethical questions so be forewarned.

Thanks guys! :D

Good luck hearing back from them! Did they say when you'll get informed of their decision?

Don't forget to share your feedback on the Interview Feedback portion of SDN! It really helps!

Do you care to elaborate on what sort of ethical questions?

Do you care to elaborate on what sort of ethical questions?

Here are some others shared in the past:

"Ethics question about taking over an old doc's rural practice and dealing with his patients making claims about his methods of treatment that may or may not be legitimate"

"Fast forward 10 years and you are working in a very respected fellowship. A patient needs a new procedure that has a high success rate. But a senior member of the staff tells you that you need to treat the patient with older methods. These have very low success rates. What do you do?"

"What would you do if you had a patient (specifically a resident from the nursing home that you volunteer at) that was begging you to give him more and more morphine because he was in so much pain."

"If you noticed another doctor's patient in a CT scan, and you noticed a pregnancy test indicated [she] was pregnant, what would you do?"

"A female patient complaining of abdominal pain has been subjected to X-Ray tests to rule out appendicitis. Later tests show that this patient is 4 weeks pregnant, how would you handle this situation?"

Amazing, beautiful campus! All of the staff and students are very friendly and inviting. Interview was very laid back and conversational. I didn't get anything crazy in the questions department. We were told they interview T and W, then meet on Thurs to discuss and decide. Supposedly letters go out Friday about their decision, and if you're accepted the Dean calls you. :) Hoping for a call, this is a GREAT school!

Glad to hear things went well with this last group!

Any SDN'ers interviewing on the 21st? I'll be at the pizza dinner the night before...

I wonder if that means we'll hear tomorrow. That would be nice lol. Hopefully the dean is around..

i'm so jealous! I hope tomorrow everyone gets great news and that call:)

i need to finish the secondary asap!

Thanks for the feedback guys! and it's good to hear that the school's nice. It sounds like they're planning on expanding it quite a bit in the next few years.

For the interview, *fingers crossed* for those of you who'll possibly hear by tomorrow - were there any questions pertinent to caring for rural population? If so, any specifics would be greatly appreciated?

Glad to hear things went well with this last group!

Any SDN'ers interviewing on the 21st? I'll be at the pizza dinner the night before...

I'll be interviewing on the 21st and at the Pizza Night.

For those that have interviewed or will be interviewing, please share your statistics so others can get some idea of their chances at receiving an invite.

DrMaximus
- C: 8/23 - I: 9/20 - GPAs: 3.92/3.63 - MCAT: 24O
Corpsman33 - C: 9/2 - I: 9/20 - GPAs: 3.2/3.3 - MCAT: 28O

For those who had interviews this week, if you didn't hear today, you will definitely hear soon. The AdCom did meet on Thursday from what I understand!

I'm considering writing a letter of interest to DCOM. Does anyone recommend this or know if DCOM doesn't appreciate them? This school is my top choice and I really want to do what I can so they know this!

This is from Janette on friday:
We should send letters out today so sometime next week you’ll hear.

I'm considering writing a letter of interest to DCOM. Does anyone recommend this or know if DCOM doesn't appreciate them? This school is my top choice and I really want to do what I can so they know this!

If you sent your application in the week of the 5th I would give it a little more time. Typically, if you haven't heard anything for a month after being complete, that's the minimum amount of time you want to put between yourself and a letter of intent. You don't want to seem overbearing. They're going to get 3,000+ applications this year so it may just be that they're considering those who sent their things in before you.

To those who have received interview invitations, how long after your completion email did you receive the offer?

Well I am glad to see that no acceptances have gone out yet. To those that interviewed this week, keep us all updated. I interviewed on 9/14. I was the paramedic with a son if anyone remembers. I am hoping we all hear something really soon because I am itching to find out!!! I really hope I got in. I think my interview went really well, but I am nervous that I will be denied or wait-listed (as I am sure we all are).

How long does it take LMU to send out admissions decisions?

I have an interview on 9/21, hoping I will hear back before my deposit for another school is due on 10/10.

How long does it take LMU to send out admissions decisions?

I have an interview on 9/21, hoping I will hear back before my deposit for another school is due on 10/10.

You'll definitely know something by then. Usually within a week - sometimes a little longer if the Dean is out of town or something. He likes to call the accepted applicants personally and notify them.

Well I am glad to see that no acceptances have gone out yet. To those that interviewed this week, keep us all updated. I interviewed on 9/14. I was the paramedic with a son if anyone remembers. I am hoping we all hear something really soon because I am itching to find out!!! I really hope I got in. I think my interview went really well, but I am nervous that I will be denied or wait-listed (as I am sure we all are).

And you thought waiting for your MCAT score to release was bad! I can't imagine how you guys are doing it. I will be a wreck in the waiting period after the interview.

And you thought waiting for your MCAT score to release was bad! I can't imagine how you guys are doing it. I will be a wreck in the waiting period after the interview.

I think waiting for MCAT scores is worse. The MCAT was by far the biggest obstacle (and most stressful) in my experience. It is the gateway to even getting your application looked at period. Poor MCAT score and you are screwed out of your future.

Post-interview...there's a lot of portal and email checking lol. But it's not so bad.

It is the gateway to even getting your application looked at period. Poor MCAT score and you are screwed out of your future.

:thumbup: Good way to look at it! Hang in there - I hope it turns out positive for everyone in this thread!

Everyone be sure to add your statistics after if you haven't already!

I think waiting for MCAT scores is worse. The MCAT was by far the biggest obstacle (and most stressful) in my experience. It is the gateway to even getting your application looked at period. Poor MCAT score and you are screwed out of your future.

Post-interview...there's a lot of portal and email checking lol. But it's not so bad.

I agree and in most cases, I feel the mcat score is more important than GPA.

Does anyone have any clue when the deposit will be due this year?

Or atleast, how quickly was the deposit to be submitted last year for people who got accepted in September and October?

Does anyone have any clue when the deposit will be due this year?

Or atleast, how quickly was the deposit to be submitted last year for people who got accepted in September and October?

Last year those who were interviewed in October had their deposit due by December 14th. I don't think they interviewed anyone in September last year - at least not from the thread. I think they're on the ball this year as far as that goes.

Either way, most schools give you until November or December for the first acceptance batches. It's after that when it starts to turn into 2-4 weeks.

Last year those who were interviewed in October had their deposit due by December 14th. I don't think they interviewed anyone in September last year - at least not from the thread. I think they're on the ball this year as far as that goes.

Either way, most schools give you until November or December for the first acceptance batches. It's after that when it starts to turn into 2-4 weeks.

Sweet. So, when are you coming into Harrogate tomorrow?

Btw, this directed to anyone coming up tomorrow.

Last edited: