LMU-DCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You should field that question to Dr. Leo, I'm sure he would have an answer for you.

Also, it's important to remember, med schools prepare you for the boards the same way that undergrads prepare you for the MCAT. The material is presented in various fashions but the responsibility lies with the student to learn the format and master the material.

Does anyone else feel that board passage rates are more an indicator of the quality of students vs. quality of the curriculum/school? I've pondered this a lot and I always seem to end up falling somewhere in the middle.

With that said, I have never in all my dealings with DCOM students heard major concerns over boards. It seems like they do what they need to do and, as with any new program, are evolving to find the best fit for the school. The numbers that museic posted are more aligned with what I had been told.

I agree; it's the student's responsibility to master the material. I think board pass rates are, in general, both a measure of the quality of the program and the quality of students. Top programs tend to attract top students who do well. It's more of a correlation than anything, meaning there are students at top schools who don't do well and there are students at lower ranked schools who are excellent.

I look at boards closely because of all the trouble I went through getting past the MCAT. I went to undergrad school A for most of my prerequisites and didn't learn much at all. Transferred to undergrad school B for the rest of the classes and learned a lot more. I had to spend 5 months teaching myself all of the basic sciences I never learned at undergrad school A. This involved much frustration, often studying over 10 hours a day, and 1 failed MCAT attempt. I finally did well the second time, but I would never put myself through anything like that again.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How long does it usually take to hear back from them after sending your secondary?? My letters and fees are paid...just waiting for an interview hopefully:/

Do they call you or email you?

Yeah guys I will not be attending dcom and wil be attending lecom. Dcom is an amazing school and this was the hardest decision that ive ever had to make. But for certain personal reasons I went with lecom. Thanks for your support. Though everyone. Ull meak great doctors.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long does it usually take to hear back from them after sending your secondary?? My letters and fees are paid...just waiting for an interview hopefully:/

Do they call you or email you?

They call and email u to invite you.

After you receive the complete email, if you don't hear anything for a month, then call and ask your status.

Hi guys, I withdrew from my interview next Tuesday so if you are waiting for a date or want to move it up. CALL THEM! Good luck! :luck:

I was there on the 21st. Great school and great atmosphere. Hope to hear some good news next week. Who else was there with me? I was the guy from KY.

Anybody from the 20th interview hear a response yet? They said that sometimes the Dean calls on Fridays.

Nothing yet either. I'm assuming we'll get something in the mail next week and no phone call, considering how busy the dean is. I couldn't imagine waiting 3 weeks to hear back like some schools!

I think Dr. Stowers was away this week because he said he flew in yesterday before our white coat barbeque, so if you don't hear, don't freak out too much. :p

I know at our interview day (the 21st) the admissions people seemed to really doubt that Dean Stowers would be making the calls this year. So it will probably be snail mall on Wednesday....:xf:

I know at our interview day (the 21st) the admissions people seemed to really doubt that Dean Stowers would be making the calls this year. So it will probably be snail mall on Wednesday....:xf:

I figured it would go by the wayside with his nomination over the AOA. Regardless, it was an amazing thing he did and I know those applicants who were called personally will never forget it!

If you're relatively local you should get a letter before Wednesday!

Members don't see this ad :)
Aw man, no calls this year at all? Boo :( opening a letter is nervewracking, but seeing that area code is like the best thing ever.

I am in Louisville, so it might take 3 days. I have had letters from my folks in Lexington, take 3 days.

Just so you guys know, the dean may still be calling people this year! I received my acceptance letter in the mail on Monday, and on Tuesday, I had a voicemail from the dean telling me congratulations. He does still call! I am saving that voicemail forever!!!

Hey, in response to DrGaga's quote:

"Some women choose to follow men, and some women choose to follow their dreams. If you’re wondering which way to go, remember that your career will never wake up and tell you that it doesn’t love you anymore." - Lady Gaga

....what if you get fired? Isn't that kinda like the Dear John letter for your career....lol just joking by the way.

Hey, in response to DrGaga's quote:

"Some women choose to follow men, and some women choose to follow their dreams. If you’re wondering which way to go, remember that your career will never wake up and tell you that it doesn’t love you anymore." - Lady Gaga

....what if you get fired? Isn't that kinda like the Dear John letter for your career....lol just joking by the way.

That is true, but I still think it's a nice quote. My parents always taught me not to follow a boy. :) School comes first!!

Just so you guys know, the dean may still be calling people this year! I received my acceptance letter in the mail on Monday, and on Tuesday, I had a voicemail from the dean telling me congratulations. He does still call! I am saving that voicemail forever!!!

I received my letter on Monday also and he called me on Tuesday afternoon. I would expect the letter first, but you also could get a letter if you are waitlisted too. The acceptance letters begins with CONGRATULATIONS! Good luck everyone!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Even better!

Asking this for a friend without an account. For those of you who stayed at Holiday Inn, did you just check out in the morning before you left for the interview? I'm assuming check-out is 11am and the interview day ends much later.

Thanks!

Asking this for a friend without an account. For those of you who stayed at Holiday Inn, did you just check out in the morning before you left for the interview? I'm assuming check-out is 11am and the interview day ends much later.

Thanks!

I stayed at the Holiday Inn and I checked out before I left. I drove there and had my own car. The interview day ends around 1 pm.

I stayed at the Holiday Inn and I checked out before I left. I drove there and had my own car. The interview day ends around 1 pm.

That works! Some hotels in other cities allow interviewing students to do late check-out for free but I wasn't sure if the Holiday Inn in Middlesboro did that or not.

Should I add this school to my verified AACOMAS with cGPA 3.93 sGPA 3.95 and MCAT 26Q (V6 P10 B10)?? I have only MD letter but I have had shadowing experience with DO physician.

Let me know if it is too late to add it now...Any tips are welcomed. So far, I applied to ATSU-KCOM, ATSU-SOMA, AZCOM, WCU-COM and TUNCOM.

Should I add this school to my verified AACOMAS with cGPA 3.93 sGPA 3.95 and MCAT 26Q (V6 P10 B10)?? I have only MD letter but I have had shadowing experience with DO physician.

Let me know if it is too late to add it now...Any tips are welcomed. So far, I applied to ATSU-KCOM, ATSU-SOMA, AZCOM, WCU-COM and TUNCOM.

As long as you have two additional letters of recommendation from science faculty you meet all the requirements.

EDIT: And it's also far from too late to apply.

Last edited:
Anybody from the 20th interview get their letter today? I am over here in California, so I probably won't get mine until later in the week.

congratz to those who got accepted and those who are just got interviews:)

Mind sharing your stats if you got interviews/accepted?

cGPA/sciGPA/MCAT/date you were complete/interview date

Thanks!

Anybody from the 20th interview get their letter today? I am over here in California, so I probably won't get mine until later in the week.

Because of the White Coat Ceremony on Saturday, admissions just sent out the letters today. One of the medical students spoke with Dr. Stowers earlier, and he is supposed to call us today! :xf:

Because of the White Coat Ceremony on Saturday, admissions just sent out the letters today. One of the medical students spoke with Dr. Stowers earlier, and he is supposed to call us today! :xf:

That would be very awesome!!!

Max...I think you need to take one for the team and call the admissions office....just kidding don't do that. (But seriously....DO IT!)

:laugh:

Will he call even though it's after school hours?

I am not sure--iooks like he isn't going to call today. I talked with one of the SGA members there and he met with Dr. Stowers today and said that he was going to call us today. I guess not but hopefully tomorrow.

I have a friend who works in admissions. She told me about the letters not going out until today. Just when you thought the week couldn't get any longer......

I am not sure--iooks like he isn't going to call today. I talked with one of the SGA members there and he met with Dr. Stowers today and said that he was going to call us today. I guess not but hopefully tomorrow.

I have a friend who works in admissions. She told me about the letters not going out until today. Just when you thought the week couldn't get any longer......

That's lame. I only live three hours away... Maybe tomorrow.

That's lame. I only live three hours away... Maybe tomorrow.

Good luck :) I'm sure you'll get good news!

Anyone else going to the pizza night tomorrow night (Tues, 9/27)? I'm leaving class early to try and make it on time (I like 5+ hrs away). Starting to get a little nervous about the interview. Hopefully I don't bomb it...

Anyone else going to the pizza night tomorrow night (Tues, 9/27)? I'm leaving class early to try and make it on time (I like 5+ hrs away). Starting to get a little nervous about the interview. Hopefully I don't bomb it...

It's super laid back. Don't worry about it. :) You'll do fine.

If you're in Nashville, it is really only like 4ish hours, but definitely try and make it to the pizza night if you can. It is a really good opportunity to talk with students that have absolutely no influence on your admissions decision (so you can ask whatever you want-I went to one of the pizza nights last week, and I don't even know anyone in admissions so I wouldn't even know who to talk to even if I wanted to or thought they would listen haha). Good luck at your interview! I hope you love the school as much as I do!!!:thumbup:

Dr. Stowers just called me! I got in!!!!

First Acceptance and probably the school I will go to!!

I hate that I missed his call, but the voicemail is almost as nice. ACCEPTED

Have they waitlisted or ......eeek rejected any applicants this cycle so far? Not that its a bad thing (belive me, I am excited), but it seems like this early in the application cycle that nearly every applicant gets in.