LMU-DCOM fires Dean over support for social change, thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people are conflating the existence of racist individuals with systemic racism :). Med schools are the opposite of racist. Almost like....the reverse of it ;)

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I think people are conflating the existence of racist individuals with systemic racism :). Med schools are the opposite of racist. Almost like....the reverse of it ;)
I wasn't talking about med school in general. The person I quoted said he was brown and never experienced racism while in med school. I was just responding to that.

Edit: read my posts right before that for my take on systemic racism.

Unless this guy had nooses in his office and was blaring Johnny rebel you were probably imagining this.

Also, let us not pretend no rap music ever was racist towards whites.

^^ wait wait i forgot that just cannot exist.
You do know there are many different ways a person can be racist .... it’s not always the most extreme cases . microagressions are also included in this. You Have no right to tell poc that their experiences with discrimination / prejudice etc are imaginary ...

• Dislike
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
much rap discriminates against whites, don't tell me it doesn't because its micro aggression. aka micro as you can't see it but it is still there!!! I said so! If you tell me otherwise you are one of those words that SJW use to demean those who are not as woke as they are.
This statement adds nothing to this conversation and no actual point was made so..... I’m just gunna leave at that.

Reactions: 3 users
Unless this guy had nooses in his office and was blaring Johnny rebel you were probably imagining this.

Also, let us not pretend no rap music ever was racist towards whites.

^^ wait wait i forgot that just cannot exist.
I'm just gonna say one thing here. You are very quick to dismiss somebody else's experience without even taking the time to know where they are coming from. I hope you don't act like this with your patients.

Just gonna say that my parents came from much more hardship than any of the examples above and made it without burning down buildings and crying for more free government handouts/less intervention from law enforcement when doing something stupid
Good for your parents, and I applaud them for that. Now it's time for you to pay that back by helping others that are in the same hardships your parents were, so they can also have a better life because not everybody get the same opportunities in life. My parents came also from hardships, and climb the ladder of SES and made it as well, but they never stopped helping others in the same situation they were and I plan to do the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
You do know there are many different ways a person can be racist .... it’s not always the most extreme cases . microagressions are also included in this. You Have no right to tell poc that their experiences with discrimination / prejudice etc are imaginary ...
Validity of a claim should always be up for investigation. One’s race doesn’t make their statements above question

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
Minority status is still a plus when applying to residency and medical school. There is actual data on that that is not invisible.
We're not talking about what it does for your acceptance chances, we're talking about what it's like to actually be in school and on the wards. The aggressions, both micro and macro, are very real, my friend

• Okay...
Reactions: 5 users
We're not talking about what it does for your acceptance chances, we're talking about what it's like to actually be in school and on the wards. The aggressions, both micro and macro, are very real, my friend
I have clinician colleagues who are African-American and they have detailed in depressing reality the slights, insults and outright prejudicial acts that they have received even from other clinicians.

I have clinician colleagues who are African-American and they have detailed in depressing reality the slights, insults and outright prejudicial acts that they have received even from other clinicians.
And those acting that way should be corrected/punished

And those acting that way should be corrected/punished

As a med student it wasn’t my place or comfortability to correct my preceptors when they would say things to me about patients when they felt they were in sympathetic company. Such is med school in the Deep South. Med students must live by the code “they can always hurt you more.” It’s only now that I’m more outspoken towards attendings, my peers, and allied healthcare staff.

I know you were making a point towards Goros attending colleagues but it was a good piggy back point.

Im also not going out on a limb to extend that experience to a system as a whole. But its not a far leap to see those preceptors being more harsh on my black classmates leading to harsh critiques and affecting the grading despite them being objectively a better medstudent than myself.

Reactions: 2 users
As a med student it wasn’t my place or comfortability to correct my preceptors when they would say things to me about patients when they felt they were in sympathetic company. Such is med school in the Deep South. Med students must live by the code “they can always hurt you more.” It’s only now that I’m more outspoken towards attendings, my peers, and allied healthcare staff.

I know you were making a point towards Goros attending colleagues but it was a good piggy back point.

Im also not going out on a limb to extend that experience to a system as a whole. But its not a far leap to see those preceptors being more harsh on my black classmates leading to harsh critiques and affecting the grading despite them being objectively a better medstudent than myself.
It’s always your place to tell that person’s boss or HR (every hospital has an HR or EO dept) if they are getting racist. I was trained in the south and would phenotype-wise look like “sympathetic company”, I can count on one hand the time I heard someone get openly racist in the manner being described here. I’ve heard ten times that amount of assumptions/aspersions about white people because it’s trendy to say crap about us

Members don't see this ad :)
But its not a far leap to see those preceptors being more harsh on my black classmates leading to harsh critiques and affecting the grading despite them being objectively a better medstudent than myself.

How could you possibly know that those specific black classmates were "objectively" performing better than you while on rotations? Were you constantly following them around and keeping track of everything they were doing? Were you in a position, as a medical student, to accurately assess who was performing better than whom?

It’s always your place to tell that person’s boss or HR (every hospital has an HR or EO dept) if they are getting racist. I was trained in the south and would phenotype-wise look like “sympathetic company”, I can count on one hand the time I heard someone get openly racist in the manner being described here. I’ve heard ten times that amount of assumptions/aspersions about white people because it’s trendy to say crap about us

You’re talking about a moral obligation, yes?

What it seems you’re not taking seriously are the actual consequences for morally correct actions.

When a professor goes on about why “the blacks” are disproportionately effected by certain diseases, or a faculty member uses a racial slur, or assumes a point of clarification is evidence of a language barrier, you could seek to address the issue. And you could get smacked in the face with social and professional consequences of embarrassing a superior. Same thing in the workplace - confidentiality of reporting? Doesn’t exist in a world where there’s four people in the room, and three of them already know the drill.

I'm sad to report that I think my medical school is one of the racist ones. So far this semester, we've only had three on-campus BLM rallies. Also, lectures about "deconstructing whiteness" and "institutional racism" are only held two or three times a week, which means that white students have to spend a majority of their week not being reminded of their privilege and evil history. The admission officers (a mere three-quarters of whom are people of color) like to pretend that they have a frenzied desire to recruit black students; they even travel to faraway historically black colleges to seek potential applicants and distribute application waivers. Obviously, they're just doing all of that to cover up the administration's resounding hatred for non-whites.

You know, I sometimes wonder if my medical school was secretly taken over by the KKK. There's just so much overt racism. I'm impressed that my black classmates have managed to pretend that everything is going normally for them and that they're fully assimilated, embraced members of the school community. Heck, they even go through the painful effort of pretending to become close friends with some of their white classmates, who are surely all closeted bigots.

• Haha
  • Love
  • Dislike
You’re talking about a moral obligation, yes?

What it seems you’re not taking seriously are the actual consequences for morally correct actions.

When a professor goes on about why “the blacks” are disproportionately effected by certain diseases, or a faculty member uses a racial slur, or assumes a point of clarification is evidence of a language barrier, you could seek to address the issue. And you could get smacked in the face with social and professional consequences of embarrassing a superior. Same thing in the workplace - confidentiality of reporting? Doesn’t exist in a world where there’s four people in the room, and three of them already know the drill.
I’m aware of a cost to doing the right thing. I’ve done it

I'm sad to report that I think my medical school is one of the racist ones. So far this semester, we've only had three on-campus BLM rallies. Also, lectures about "deconstructing whiteness" and "institutional racism" are only held two or three times a week, which means that white students have to spend a majority of their week not being reminded of their privilege and evil history. The admission officers (a mere three-quarters of whom are people of color) like to pretend that they have a frenzied desire to recruit black students; they even travel to faraway historically black colleges to seek potential applicants and distribute application waivers. Obviously, they're just doing all of that to cover up the administration's resounding hatred for non-whites.

You know, I sometimes wonder if my medical school was secretly taken over by the KKK. There's just so much overt racism. I'm impressed that my black classmates have managed to pretend that everything is going normally for them and that they're fully assimilated, embraced members of the school community. Heck, they even go through the painful effort of pretending to become close friends with some of their white classmates, who are surely all closeted bigots.
Good for your school. Just because your school does all that doesn't mean other schools do the same. And even with all of that, the problem isn't gone. Those either fix part of the problem or bring awareness to it. I don't get why people are always so quick to dismiss other people's experiences just because they don't experience it themselves. I have the same issues with some of my classmates that think they know all about other people's life experiences. If you've learned anything from those lectures your school have 2-3 times a week, this wouldn't be your response today. Obviously they are not enough.

• Okay...
Admission stats do MD/DO schools and residency placement when adjusted for board scores and such disagree with your proposition. There are many instances in life where being a minority hurts, but medical school is not one of them. Not to mention all the minority only scholarships. Most faculty at medical schools lean more liberal than conservative, even rural ones.

yeah not gunna lie there’s a club for literally every single racial/ethnic group except whites at my MD school. Is that racism lol

• Dislike
yeah not gunna lie there’s a club for literally every single racial/ethnic group except whites at my MD school. Is that racism lol
White people shouldn’t be allowed in the school, there I said it

• Love

It's really sad that you guys are completely missing the point and instead are mocking the real issues with racism in medical school. However, there is no point in arguing with ignorance. Facing Discrimination in medical school is a very real experience that many black and other POC medical students face whether you like to believe it or not.

It's really sad that you guys are completely missing the point and instead are mocking the real issues with racism in medical school. However, there is no point in arguing with ignorance. Facing Discrimination in medical school is a very real experience that many black and other POC medical students face whether you like to believe it or not.

what happened to them?

Status
Not open for further replies.