LMU-DCOM MS Biomedical Professions 2019-2020 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This program now has a guaranteed acceptance to the med school?? I think it’s just an interview. Does anyone know if all pre reqs need to be complete before application or just classes??

Curious about this as well. Can someone clarify?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. There’s no required actual classes though??
No, but if you want to take advantage of the guaranteed interview/gain entrance into DCOM you'd have to meet the requirements specific to the med school

No, but if you want to take advantage of the guaranteed interview/gain entrance into DCOM you'd have to meet the requirements specific to the med school
Thanks. I really hope they offer guaranteed acceptance but I don’t think they do.

I think VCOM has a guaranteed acceptance, while LECOM and LMU have guaranteed interviews.
Lecom is basically an acceptance too. Not sure about LMU. Reading last year’s thread the linkage at LMU seemed crappy.

This is what I mean when I say that LMU is not clear to their students .... so I actually talked to faculty and ppl involved in the program because I was very open with my feelings about the program and was open to hear their ideas on improvement and I shared mines. So I didn’t know that they already started to let incoming students know this but the program is now ran under the dean from DCOM. There is a guranteed acceptance track but it is not open for alll students who are accepted into BP or AS. Select students will be chosen for that track and this will be based on the persons past gpa and mcat scores while the rest will only have the guaranteed interview. The course load is going to increase . More med school classes will be taken like histology. So the program will be significantly harder and be more credits so more expensive . Anyways that’s the changes I know of for now

This is the document I had received.

Attachments

• Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences New Fall 2019.pdf
    136.1 KB · Views: 228
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
You are awesome thanks so much! This must be a new thing. Are there any pre req classes needed for the masters or just the same as the med school pre reqs?

You are awesome thanks so much! This must be a new thing. Are there any pre req classes needed for the masters or just the same as the med school pre reqs?
Of course. And afaik, if you have the pre-reqs for DCOM, you should be fine. They'll notify you if otherwise.

Submitting deposit today. A little nervous, won't lie. But that guaranteed acceptance + other perks of matriculating into DCOM after the MS is too appealing.

Of course. And afaik, if you have the pre-reqs for DCOM, you should be fine. They'll notify you if otherwise.

Submitting deposit today. A little nervous, won't lie. But that guaranteed acceptance + other perks of matriculating into DCOM after the MS is too appealing.
I wish you the best of luck. Would you mind if I PM you after the program starts to see your thoughts on it??

Members don't see this ad :)
This program now has a guaranteed acceptance to the med school?? I think it’s just an interview. Does anyone know if all pre reqs need to be complete before application or just classes??
Yes, from what I know and understand, it's just a guaranteed interview. Most get placed on the wait-list. Yes, students are also evaluated to see what your final grades look like to determine their eligibility off of the wait-list.

Yes, from what I know and understand, it's just a guaranteed interview. Most get placed on the wait-list. Yes, students are also evaluated to see what your final grades look like to determine their eligibility off of the wait-list.
From the above document it looks like it’s now a guaranteed acceptance.

This is their first year doing guaranteed acceptance, assuming you meet the stats required for it and have a satisfactory interview.

Reactions: 2 users
This is their first year doing guaranteed acceptance, assuming you meet the stats required for it and have a satisfactory interview.
From the above document it looks like it’s now a guaranteed acceptance.
WoW, if I had known this I would have accepted my seat into the program. It's still really good news though. Congratulations to you all who were accepted and I really wish you the best. I already paid my deposit to the program in Washington.

Just had my interview today, was approximately 10 minutes long. Very straight forward questions, feel like I did alright. They said they'd get back to me by the end of the week. Nervous lol

Also, to those who were accepted, did they email you? Or can you check via the application portal?

Last edited:
Just had my interview today, was approximately 10 minutes long. Very straight forward questions, feel like I did alright. They said they'd get back to me by the end of the week. Nervous lol

Also, to those who were accepted, did they email you? Or can you check via the application portal?

Someone had called me. I then had an email in my inbox ~10 minutes later. Your deposit has to be paid through the application portal, so they definitely use it. I didn't check it until after being accepted. It does show accepted for me on there.

Someone had called me. I then had an email in my inbox ~10 minutes later. Your deposit has to be paid through the application portal, so they definitely use it. I didn't check it until after being accepted. It does show accepted for me on there.
Thanks for the reply! Man I'm anxious over here-- well at least now I know they wont be calling or emailing me this late at night!

Application completed 2 weeks ago, interviewed yesterday, and accepted this morning via phone call and e-mail notification.

Interview was pretty simple, and the faculty members I spoke with were very friendly and answered all of my questions thoroughly. They spoke with me about the new linkage with guaranteed acceptance into LMU-DCOM pending 3.4+ GPA during fall semester, 499 MCAT score, and successful interview.

I have seen various negative comments from select prior students. However, I personally feel if you are ready to put in the work to be a medical student, and think of this master's program as essentially medical school, that the program offers plenty of opportunities to succeed. I will certainly be attending this program assuming that I do not get late notification that I have been removed from medical school waiting lists that I am currently on.

If any current students see this, would you please comment on the anatomy boot camp? I don't see the dates listed yet, but I am interested to see if people who have done it think it is worth the extra time and tuition when going into the Master's program instead of the medical school. I have taken Anatomy & Physiology for 2 semesters with a now medical school professor. However, I am not sure how much of that material I truly retained.

Good luck everyone!

Hey congrats on your interview. Would you mind if I asked your stats? Im trying to gauge my competiveness??

Does anyone have the academic calendar or potential semester schedule for the fall?

I asked Linsday regarding mcat scores and she said its guaranteed acceptance if you maintain a 3.4 in the fall semester and have 499 mcat score by the end of fall so the latest you can take it is (September). You will be interviewed in the Spring and pending satisifactiory interview you will receive an acceptance. I'm assuming all pre-reqs need to be taken by the end of fall as well? Unless you can ahve pending course work until spring?

I asked Linsday regarding mcat scores and she said its guaranteed acceptance if you maintain a 3.4 in the fall semester and have 499 mcat score by the end of fall so the latest you can take it is (September). You will be interviewed in the Spring and pending satisifactiory interview you will receive an acceptance. I'm assuming all pre-reqs need to be taken by the end of fall as well? Unless you can ahve pending course work until spring?

Thanks so much for this info!

They emailed me and it was updated on the portal! They also mail you a formal letter! They got back to me within 24 hours so you should hear back soon! Good luck!!

Application completed 2 weeks ago, interviewed yesterday, and accepted this morning via phone call and e-mail notification.

Interview was pretty simple, and the faculty members I spoke with were very friendly and answered all of my questions thoroughly. They spoke with me about the new linkage with guaranteed acceptance into LMU-DCOM pending 3.4+ GPA during fall semester, 499 MCAT score, and successful interview.

I have seen various negative comments from select prior students. However, I personally feel if you are ready to put in the work to be a medical student, and think of this master's program as essentially medical school, that the program offers plenty of opportunities to succeed. I will certainly be attending this program assuming that I do not get late notification that I have been removed from medical school waiting lists that I am currently on.

If any current students see this, would you please comment on the anatomy boot camp? I don't see the dates listed yet, but I am interested to see if people who have done it think it is worth the extra time and tuition when going into the Master's program instead of the medical school. I have taken Anatomy & Physiology for 2 semesters with a now medical school professor. However, I am not sure how much of that material I truly retained.

Good luck everyone!
I talked to a few current students in the program and they said the bootcamp is only worth it if 1) you've never taken anatomy 2) you haven't been a student in a while most said you can still do well without the bootcamp! Just review beforehand on your own.

Does anyone feel like taking about 18 ish units per semester of all upper division hard science classes is a lot? although it is a guaranteed acceptance I'm wondering how rigorous this program will be?

Does anyone feel like taking about 18 ish units per semester of all upper division hard science classes is a lot? although it is a guaranteed acceptance I'm wondering how rigorous this program will be?

I agree it will indeed be rigorous, but that is nothing compared to the units we are required to take the following year in med. school.. As said, whoever is accepted to this program or any other linkage program needs to put in the work because we are basically trying to prove ourselves to the medical school during this one year.

Side note: the bootcamp has been closed for awhile now so if anyone is still interested there is a waitlist u need to add ur name on (by calling.)

I agree it will indeed be rigorous, but that is nothing compared to the units we are required to take the following year in med. school.. As said, whoever is accepted to this program or any other linkage program needs to put in the work because we are basically trying to prove ourselves to the medical school during this one year.

Side note: the bootcamp has been closed for awhile now so if anyone is still interested there is a waitlist u need to add ur name on (by calling.)

Very true willingly to put in the work just became concerns it's a lot more units and harder but then again they are offering a guarantee which is not the case elsewhere.

Very true willingly to put in the work just became concerns it's a lot more units and harder but then again they are offering a guarantee which is not the case elsewhere.
Does anyone know the admission requirement classes for this program?

Can someone who has been through this program PM me with information on your experience? Highly considering this program for the upcoming fall semester. Like many others, also have concerns related to housing. I want a 1 BR and really have no interest in living on campus. I've considered commuting from Knoxville. Just wondering how do-able this might be.

Does anyone know the admission requirement classes for this program?

I don't think they have any as long as you have taken all pre-reqs for medical school you should be ok. I think it just says 3.0 gpa on their website.

Can someone who has been through this program PM me with information on your experience? Highly considering this program for the upcoming fall semester. Like many others, also have concerns related to housing. I want a 1 BR and really have no interest in living on campus. I've considered commuting from Knoxville. Just wondering how do-able this might be.

I tried looking for one bedroom apartments and they were super hard to find :(

I don't think they have any as long as you have taken all pre-reqs for medical school you should be ok. I think it just says 3.0 gpa on their website.
Did you have to fill out a pre req form when you applied?

The women I talked to said these are the ore reqs:

• Biology: Minimum of 8 semester hours (including lecture and lab)
    • Inorganic: Minimum of 8 semester hours (including lecture and lab)
    • Organic: Minimum of 8 semester hours (including lecture and lab)
    • Biochemistry may be substituted.
    • Physics: Minimum of 8 semester hours (including lecture and lab)
  • Probability and Stats
  • Genetics (Lab is optional)

• English: Minimum of 6 semester hours
    • MCAT (can be no more than 3 years
    Seems a little overkill for the MS program.

Did you have to fill out a pre req form when you applied?

The women I talked to said these are the ore reqs:

• Biology: Minimum of 8 semester hours (including lecture and lab)
    • Inorganic: Minimum of 8 semester hours (including lecture and lab)
    • Organic: Minimum of 8 semester hours (including lecture and lab)
    • Biochemistry may be substituted.
    • Physics: Minimum of 8 semester hours (including lecture and lab)
  • Probability and Stats
  • Genetics (Lab is optional)

• English: Minimum of 6 semester hours
    • MCAT (can be no more than 3 years
  • Seems a little overkill for the MS program.
I didn't because I applied to their DO program last year so they just transferred the application. I think it's because once you finish the MS program you are supposed to start the medical school and this is their medical school pre-reqs.

I didn't because I applied to their DO program last year so they just transferred the application. I think it's because once you finish the MS program you are supposed to start the medical school and this is their medical school pre-reqs.
Thank you. Genetics and stats are not pre reqs for the med school though.

This is all correct information. I talked to the Director of Admissions myself. They are offering both guaranteed acceptance to LMU DCOM with a 499 or better MCAT with 3.4 GPA and guaranteed interview with LMU DCOM 498 or less MCAT with a 3.0 GPA.

Can anyone tell me when the program starts?
Received an email today with a class schedule from Lindsey Davis. Classes begin August 19. Welcome weekend is the first thing on the schedule and that is scheduled for August 15.

I actually believe that we start right after orientation which ends on 8/2 because we follow both the undergraduate AND the med. school schedules and the med. school schedule starts anatomy as well as histology first week of August. Hope this helps!

Sidenote: to clarify, we follow the med school schedule for several of the classes we will be taking along the med students such as gross anatomy, histo., and neuroanatomy.. but we also use the undergrad schedule for the other science classes like biochem, genetics, etc.. Hope this is clear! :)

I actually believe that we start right after orientation which ends on 8/2 because we follow both the undergraduate AND the med. school schedules and the med. school schedule starts anatomy as well as histology first week of August. Hope this helps!

Sidenote: to clarify, we follow the med school schedule for several of the classes we will be taking along the med students such as gross anatomy, histo., and neuroanatomy.. but we also use the undergrad schedule for the other science classes like biochem, genetics, etc.. Hope this is clear! :)
Thanks!!!

Do you know if the med school classes we are taking are all going to be live streamed or will there be an actual professor at Harrogate? I saw Lindsay's comment in the follow up email.

Do you know if the med school classes we are taking are all going to be live streamed or will there be an actual professor at Harrogate? I saw Lindsay's comment in the follow up email.

From what I can tell from the med. school schedule, it looks like the MGA and histo. lectures will be live streamed.. of course actual MGA labs will be on campus.. I think the MANS 100 is the classroom we will gather in to watch the live stream (I think..) but we might have to double check with Lindsay.. and our other graduate classes should be on campus since Knoxville is only a med school branch pretty much..

From what I can tell from the med. school schedule, it looks like the MGA and histo. lectures will be live streamed.. of course actual MGA labs will be on campus.. I think the MANS 100 is the classroom we will gather in to watch the live stream (I think..) but we might have to double check with Lindsay.. and our other graduate classes should be on campus since Knoxville is only a med school branch pretty much..
I’m applying in October for the next cycle. Would you guys care if I checked with you in a few months to see how the program is going??

I just had my interview and I was was crazy nervous. I've been barley sleeping cause of my nephews unfortunately and stuttered a lot during the interview =[. I really hope I'm still considered.